Student Castle | Hulme Street | 168m/38m | 55/11 fl | Pro - Page 10 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2019, 12:14 AM   #181
joeyoe121

Location: London. Previously Bristol, Hong Kong, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City
Likes (Received): 489

Shame it's a student block rather than a residential tower, I would definitely live in it, it's imposing and cool!

MarkO liked this post
joeyoe121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2019, 09:10 AM   #182
dd79

Likes (Received): 584

This could do with a revision to the checked style of the windows and the ‘brick’ like side profiles with the battlement windows. No real issue with it being brick although I do agree that it’s getting done to death, something a bit more imaginative than what a toddler could build with duplo would be good though. Possibly too much of an ask from an economic sense given it’s a student tower.

Definitely no issue with the height as I think eventually it will just fall into the background of the cluster of talls which will form a crescent around central Manchester from DS to Piccadilly, upwards and onwards. The location will benefit and there’s scope for a cluster of student towers round there, if it helps to tidy up fallowfield and withington then I’m all for that!

Develo liked this post
dd79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 11:52 PM   #183
Silvermark

Likes (Received): 24

Sorry to resurrect a long lost thread, but I'm intrigued by this development and all,seems to have gone very quiet. I'm just wondering if anyone knows where abouts this is, regards moving forwards. Mark X
Silvermark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 10:28 AM   #184
h01035mb

Likes (Received): 2

Probably another one which will never get built 😔
h01035mb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 12:32 AM   #185
Paull76

Likes (Received): 184

I received a letter from the council today that an ammended app has gone in for this, revised description and amended app. not sure what the changes are though.
121252/FO/2018

https://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-...=PEZL20BCHDQ00

Develo liked this post
Paull76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 01:51 AM   #186
Terracottaistoobleak
How about a lighter hue?

Likes (Received): 165

Wouldn't be surprised if the council approve this to encourage more students to move away from Fallowfield/Withington and resolve some of the social problems in that area. The architectural bar isn't set that high either with the other two student towers near there (on New Wakefield St) so I can't imagine there being any problems on that front despite the design being absolutely mad. A part of me is curious to see this built for that reason but we've definitely hit peak 'redbrick homage' with these plans.

Simufc, Farsight liked this post

Last edited by Terracottaistoobleak; June 6th, 2019 at 02:16 AM.
Terracottaistoobleak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 08:12 AM   #187
Develo

Likes (Received): 1038

I really hope this gets built, a nice cluster is starting to form around this area.

Psychedelic Casual liked this post
Develo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 09:12 AM   #188
h01035mb

Likes (Received): 2

It will be interesting to see what these revisions are
h01035mb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2019, 09:32 AM   #189
dd79

From the covering letter, changes to internal layout. Height the same

“Great Marlborough Street (Planning Application Ref: 121252/FO/2018) – Amendments to submission
Please find enclosed amendments to the current planning application (ref: 121252/FO/2018), at Great Marlborough Street Car Park, Manchester, M1 5NJ.
The submitted amendments principally relate to the internal layout of the proposed development. In summary, the amendments result in:
- An amended unit layout resulting in an increase in the average studio size (99% of studios will now be over 17.2sqm);
- A 16% increase in amenity floor areas (increasing from 1,326sqm to 1,578sqm)
- Three additional studios;
- A revised cycle parking strategy that results in a minor increase to cycle spaces and more bicycles
for free use by student residents;
- A revised core location for the co-workspace, resulting in a more efficient layout.
These improvements have resulted from a detailed design review, which has increased the size of the basement for plant and achieved greater floorspace efficiencies above ground. Some minor amendments to the elevations have been necessary, such as the relocation of the entrance for the co-working space, in order to reflect the internal layout amendments. The external massing of the building is unchanged.
Overall, the proposed amendments will have a positive impact on the proposed development, as it will:
- Increase social amenity space and make it more accessible by being more widely spread through the building;
- Provide improved layouts of the co-working space, therefore making it more attractive for use by start ups;
- Improve access to free on-site bicycle provision, therefore encouraging residents to use sustainable form of transport and pursue an active lifestyle.”

“Revised Description of Development
As a result of the amendments, it is necessary for the Description of Development to be updated in order to accurately reflect the proposed development. In this respect, we provide a tracked change amended version of the description below (changes in bold):
“Partial reconfiguration of existing Multi-Storey Car Park (MSCP), including temporary access off Hulme Street, construction of 5 storey external ramps, closure of vehicular access to top level and re-cladding of retained facade ('Phase 1a'); and partial demolition of the surplus part of existing MSCP and erection of a part 55, part 11 storey mixed-use building comprising 850 853 Purpose Built Student Accommodation units (sui generis), ancillary amenity space and support facilities, and 744 764 sqm (GIA) SME incubator workspace (Use Class B1), including public realm improvements (Phase 2) and other associated works.”
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:56 PM   #190
SteKnight
What was the question?

Likes (Received): 1152

Not much in the way of external amendments

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/new...e-tower-plans/

GShutty, ChorleyFM_ liked this post
SteKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:58 PM   #191
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 48978

Fantastic! https://glennhowells.co.uk/project/hulme-street/

jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 01:13 PM   #192
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 35353

I think this is great. I think it was our very own Che who masterfully said that streets should dictate the shape of towers, not the other way round. This building slots into the streetscape perfectly, respecting the street line. It's a proper big city 'scraper.
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 01:19 PM   #193
PJH2015

Likes (Received): 1513

They're properly playing down the height of the development on that sketch though ^, it's going to dwarf everything else in this area

Love the chimney aesthetic, it'll fit in nicely

JBGee, Uomo Senza Nome, LM93, GShutty, AC1 liked this post
PJH2015 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 01:52 PM   #194
Uomo Senza Nome

Likes (Received): 1900

The sketch is taking the piss, it is less than 90m on that, should never be submitted, it is colossal in height compared with anything within 180miles (excluding 500yrds down the road)

JBGee, AJD1984, adejola99 liked this post
Uomo Senza Nome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 03:03 PM   #195
Keith_Andrew

Likes (Received): 3830

Could have said the same about Beetham.
Keith_Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 03:07 PM   #196
AJD1984
Geek (of many things)

Likes (Received): 20813

Still undecided about this. For me there is too much brick and obvs Im getting sick of the checkerboard pattern

eric_cantona, ferge liked this post
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 03:59 PM   #197
dd79

It’s the dimensions of the ‘arrow slit’ windows on the slender sides that will determine how well this one turns out. If the model ends up being representative of the finish then you could almost have 2 150m blank walls, Cambridge street but twice as high.. The sketch above is full on dishonest as it’s about half the size it would be. I do hope it gets approved and built as it says a lot for the ambition and optimism for the future of the city but would prefer amendments to the slender sides at least.
Old June 13th, 2019, 04:34 PM   #198
man med
DJ MedZ

Likes (Received): 781

Sketch is so bad lol

https://soundcloud.com/deejay-medz
man med no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 04:39 PM   #199
half_empty

Likes (Received): 1167

Isn't the sketch essentially misleading in that this building will be taller than the Circle Square tall?

I actually kind of like the Chimney.
half_empty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 04:55 PM   #200
Chorltonred

Likes (Received): 3888

A 168m brick skyscraper. Love it. Pure Manchester.

JBGee, PJH2015, mileymc1, Red Brick, MarkO, AC1 liked this post
Chorltonred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement