Green Infrastructure | Clean Air Zone, Parks and Environment - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2018, 02:17 PM   #81
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7293

First time I’ve been city centre in a long time, what’s with the bollards and tarmac ramps?

I know they’re clearly a temporary safety measure and quick solution but seriously look horrendous, some large concrete planters would have been more ideal, there was a huge puddle collecting in front of the one tarmac ramp...

Kingsheathen liked this post
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2018, 04:33 PM   #82
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7724

They were installed before Christmas time and were never removed even when the German markets left again!
Old April 14th, 2018, 10:09 PM   #83
sefton66

Not a bad idea, save on cutting grass in long term too

https://m.facebook.com/Solihull/posts/10155158851685810
Old April 14th, 2018, 11:17 PM   #84
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Not a bad idea, save on cutting grass in long term too

https://m.facebook.com/Solihull/posts/10155158851685810
Around Oxley they've started doing this for years after the council ran out of money effectively. But it really looks great and brightens up for walk to the shops
Old May 2nd, 2018, 12:03 AM   #85
sefton66

Birmingham’s greenery clearly helping here I was expecting to see us quite high on the list to be honest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43964341
Old May 22nd, 2018, 10:43 PM   #86
sefton66

Birmingham has won its 7th consecutive gold at RHS Chelsea flower show
Old May 28th, 2018, 11:30 AM   #87
sefton66

Following on from the floods, obviously over a months rain in the space of an hour and low lying areas are going to cause problems but maybe time to rethink some of the areas

Kings heath and harborne high st both heavily flooded as did many high density residential areas in Selly Oak

Perhaps addition of soakaways, trees, grass grid for parking?
Old May 28th, 2018, 11:44 PM   #88
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2526

I don't think any rivers or streams topped their banks during this flood. Although i'm only going on the reports in the news. Correct me if i am wrong.

If the above is true, the flood was a surface water flood and soakaways, trees etc wouldn't have helped all that much. Some other form of SUDs could have helped, like a attenuation pond or combination of this and other SUDs features (SUDs train) but to cope with the rain fall yesterday, it would need to be able to hold a huge amount water at once. That would be a significant amount of infrastructure.

For example, the crates installed in Centenary Square a few months ago would, i'm guessing, probably have been designed for a flood event of yesterday or more server. You would need some sort of infrastructure like that to cope with the weekend rainfall and have somewhere in a residential area to put it.

Trees, grasscrete etc would have had a really small impact on the flooding i would have thought as they would have been soaked rather quickly.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:21 AM   #89
sefton66

I think your right most was down to surface water and no doubt in yesterday’s event they wouldn’t have coped but the streets have flooded in the past with smaller and less concentrated rain periods they also lack greenery with paved/tarmac surfaces

Without digging up roads and causing loads of hassle I think smaller measures are achievable in existing streets though and would also go towards improving air quality along harborne, kings heath and stirchley high streets
Old May 29th, 2018, 07:29 PM   #90
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 524

It's expensive but the only way to really tackle it is to add additional storage into the highway drainage systems.. In urban areas most of the wash from private properties is onto the highway or the public sewer so retrofit of attenuation is needed at topographically sensitive locations.

I doubt we have the political appetite to stop homeowners tarmacing their drives although it would help

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2018, 07:51 PM   #91
daumal

Likes (Received): 578

I can only speak for Stirchley. But although it felt like the end of days on Sunday evening, with pretty much all roads out blocked by floodwater and abandoned cars, by 11 the next morning there was no evidence at all that anything had gone wrong. Seems to me like the underlying infrastructure coped admirably.

That much rain is such a short space of time is only ever going to happen once in a blue moon - it doesn't seem like it's worth the huge amount of money that it would take to mitigate it if it's only going to come about once a decade. It would be far cheaper to just compensate home and business owners whenever it does.
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:21 PM   #92
sefton66

Sir johns road only flooded 2 years ago, some residents had reportedly only just moved back home after the last flood!

As you say the water subsided within a few hours to be honest so perhaps some breaking of tarmac to create some lower lying areas with greenery to absorb some of the floodwaters and drain quicker
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:35 PM   #93
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
It's expensive but the only way to really tackle it is to add additional storage into the highway drainage systems.. In urban areas most of the wash from private properties is onto the highway or the public sewer so retrofit of attenuation is needed at topographically sensitive locations.

I doubt we have the political appetite to stop homeowners tarmacing their drives although it would help
Or just enforce planning legislation which requires driveways built since 2015(?) to deal with surface water within the site boundary. Admittedly this is hard to enforce as the drop kerb people probably don’t talk to Planning.

Quote:
Sir johns road only flooded 2 years ago, some residents had reportedly only just moved back home after the last flood!

As you say the water subsided within a few hours to be honest so perhaps some breaking of tarmac to create some lower lying areas with greenery to absorb some of the floodwaters and drain quicker
Honestly, lower lying areas with greenery will do nothing in this particular area as it’s already low lying. The water in this instance is coming from higher ground down towards the river. The only way I can see that can stop this type of flooding is by upgrading drains in the lower area or dealing with the water run off from the higher areas.

Creating green areas in lower parts will lead to delays in flooding but won’t stop flooding from rainfall. Green areas in a flood like this will get saturated within mins and flood themselves.

Last edited by djay; May 29th, 2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old May 29th, 2018, 09:44 PM   #94
daumal

Likes (Received): 578

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Or just enforce planning legislation which requires driveways built since 2015(?) to deal with surface water within the site boundary. Admittedly this is hard to enforce as the drop kerb people probably don’t talk to Planning.
Doesn't a dropped kerb require planning permission? In that case, why can't the condition that has presumably been included be enforced?
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:43 PM   #95
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by daumal View Post
Doesn't a dropped kerb require planning permission? In that case, why can't the condition that has presumably been included be enforced?
I don't think a drop kerb needs planning when its in connection with a driveway. Its hard to enforce becasue there is no way to tell when the driveway was installed.

Old May 30th, 2018, 03:18 PM   #96
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
I don't think any rivers or streams topped their banks during this flood. Although i'm only going on the reports in the news. Correct me if i am wrong.
The Chad Brook broke it's banks and ****ed my car
I've spent the last 3 days drying it out.

Kingsheathen liked this post
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:36 PM   #97
sefton66

I appreciate the amount of rain we had in such a short space of time would not be absorbed by the introduction or sunken greenery along the road but would help atleast and perhaps spare a more likely flood of half the rain or give added time for resident to get sandbags etc. In place move valuables in future
Old May 31st, 2018, 02:24 PM   #98
djay
The promised land

Quote:
I appreciate the amount of rain we had in such a short space of time would not be absorbed by the introduction or sunken greenery along the road but would help atleast and perhaps spare a more likely flood of half the rain or give added time for resident to get sandbags etc. In place move valuables in future
Unless you are building parks the gains would be minimal. Hence the use of SUDs in modern drainage design.

Old May 31st, 2018, 02:52 PM   #99
Brum Boy

Likes (Received): 214

What would help is if the council properly maintained the rainwater drains that we have. I watched one of the drains being cleaned out the other day in Dogpool Lane, Cotteridge and the amount of leaves and general litter debris in there it was no wonder the rainwater took time to escape. Probably would have still flooded but would have helped if it was clean to start with.

I suppose that’s what you get when the council has no money.
Brum Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:06 PM   #100
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum Boy View Post
I suppose that’s what you get when the council has no money.
That's my thought too. Being out of sight it's an easy thing for them to not to spend money on.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement