NORTH LOOP GREEN | 392 ft, 35 stories | 205 ft, 15 stories - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2019, 09:02 AM   #41
TallBob

Likes (Received): 286

I'm not totally against the bridge itself....it's the level at which it connects both buildings....IMO!
TallBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2019, 06:52 AM   #42
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 5931

page turn
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 07:44 PM   #43
TCMPLS

Likes (Received): 920

Info from another site from the COW meeting:

Dock St, in addition to being loading access for the old warehouses along 3rd, is the loading and emergency vehicle access for Target Field under 5th St, so that will be staying as-is. No possibility for it to ramp up to connect to 5th as someone suggested upthread.

The 5th St garage entrance is intended for hourly/visitor parking, the Dock St entrance for the residential/office contract parkers, which seems about as good as we'll get.

This project will have an unobstructed arcade paralleling the Cedar Lake Trail, like T3 does. Apparently this is specifically designed to give the trail a space to relocate into when the existing trail needs to be replaced with tracks for the Chicago HSR. Which is an impressive amount of planning ahead, tbh.

MnDoT is very enthusiastic about the park space under the viaducts, and will be working closely with them on it. The park is intended to be like Gold Medal Park - private, but closer to a public park than a 9-5 space.

This was a joint meeting of the CPC and the HPC. The former is broadly supportive and enthusiastic about the project, the latter is, of course, concerned about height. The project is large enough to require a TDMP and EIS, so it'll be a while before it comes for actual approvals.
TCMPLS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 02:49 AM   #44
Scott16475

Likes (Received): 633

The park is intended to be like Gold Medal Park - private, but closer to a public park than a 9-5 space.

Wait. Gold Medal Park is private? I have apparently trespassed many times as I had no idea. Seriously.

Sorry for the sidebar.

TCMPLS liked this post
Scott16475 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 03:24 AM   #45
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 1112

It's private in the fact it is not government owned but it is open to the public. I'm assuming that's what they will be doing with this new one as well.

This is from Wikipedia: Gold Medal Park is a 7.5-acre (3.0 ha) park in the Downtown East neighborhood of Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. Designed by landscape architect Tom Oslund, the park is owned by the city of Minneapolis and opened in May 2007. It takes its inspiration from the Native American mounds that are found throughout Minnesota, and its name from Gold Medal flour, a product of General Mills. It consists of a 32-foot-high (9.8 m) mound, reached by a spiral walkway rising out of a green lawn with 300 trees. The park, just east of the Guthrie Theater, provides the Mill District neighborhood with some rare green space.[1][2]

Built on a strip of land next to the Guthrie Theater and the Mississippi River, the park features specially designed luminescent benches, a prominent 32-foot (9.8 m) mound and mature trees brought in from as far away as New Jersey.

The William W. and Nadine M. McGuire Family Foundation leased the land for 10 years, starting in 2007, from the city of Minneapolis and the Guthrie, each of which owns about half of the property.[3]In 2014, the Gold Medal Park Conservancy purchased the majority of the parkland owned by the Guthrie, then secured a 50-year lease for the rest of the land, owned by the City of Minneapolis.[4]

Across the street from the park and adjacent to the river is Remembrance Garden, which is a tribute to the victims of the I-35W Mississippi River bridge collapse. It was dedicated on August 1, 2011, the fourth anniversary of the collapse. [5]

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 06:16 PM   #46
Scott16475

Likes (Received): 633

Gotcha, thank you. This makes more sense than how I was thinking, lol.

Mplsuptown liked this post
Scott16475 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 11:01 PM   #47
bapster2006

Likes (Received): 1742

35 floors, 393 feet

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/...msp-220829.pdf
Old September 20th, 2019, 11:57 PM   #48
mspguy

Likes (Received): 159

What's up with that brown paneling and reduction of glass? It looks cheap - they should have kept the original exterior. Also, I don't like the addition to the width of the building (the old design looked way cleaner) and it says the rooftop terrace has been removed. Does that mean the rooftop restaurant is gone? I hope not because that was the best part of the project.

Overall, still a really good project but sadly, a downgraded design.

Side-by-side comparison:

Last edited by mspguy; Yesterday at 12:27 AM.
mspguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM   #49
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1695

Despite the publicized height of 392 feet, it is still well over 400' tall, given that "Level 1" is about 30 feet above the ground and even with the 5th Street bridge deck. Ground level is actually floor P3, plainly evident from the plans.

Last edited by Avian001; Yesterday at 01:09 AM.
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM   #50
troygbiv

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspguy View Post
What's up with that brown paneling and reduction of glass? It looks cheap - they should have kept the original exterior. Also, I don't like the addition to the width of the building (the old design looked way cleaner) and it says the rooftop terrace has been removed. Does that mean the rooftop restaurant is gone? I hope not because that was the best part of the project.

Overall, still a really good project but sadly, a downgraded design.

Side-by-side comparison:

I think the residential tower is now sided in a steel that rusts... that’s what it looks like in the sample photos in the revised proposal. Anyone else see that? I sort of like it as rusty steel versus more brick...

John Nicollet Mall, Scott16475 liked this post
troygbiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM   #51
anjunabeats91

Likes (Received): 1318

If done right, I think that'd be a really unique and consistent look with the NL area (historic/industrial feel) If that's what they're doing, I think that will be received well among the community

Scott16475 liked this post
anjunabeats91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:34 AM   #52
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1695

I don't think it's a "downgraded design" at all, mspguy. I think it's better. The glass curtain walls on what they're calling the east and west facades is a nicer contrast with the punched openings of the north and south facades. Troygbiv is likely right about the Cor-Ten steel siding though it's clear that Hines is hedging its bet by referring to it as either steel or precast on the elevation drawings. In any case a warmer-toned building is welcomed by me, anyway. Enough of the grey!

(Update: In post#29 on the previous page, forumer MPLS_Const_Watch points out that the ground level-to-5th-street-bridge height is 31 feet. So the height above grade of North Loop Green is a little over 423 feet. Thanks MPLS_Const_Watch!)

Last edited by Avian001; Yesterday at 05:33 AM.
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM   #53
TallBob

Jeez...It got Fatter!! We like 'em wide here I guess! Not saying design #1 is better but why does every building built here (when there are changes made to the design) have to be shortened and wider?
Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM   #54
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 2141

The warmer tonality of the taller tower looks much better. However, it's very important they use the more industrial chic corten steel on the east/west exterior! The precast would be a definite downgrade and much less appropriate for the North Loop.

BlackCatMaven, Scott16475 liked this post

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; Yesterday at 07:49 AM.
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #55
TallBob

Question: Why can't they just incorporate the office floors in with the residential? Why 2 buildings in the first place? Is it because of the proximity to Target Field?
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #56
nasa35

Likes (Received): 625

It fits in perfectly
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #57
Mesabiapolis

Likes (Received): 66

I'm in favor of the office portion, wouldn't mind seeing the residential tower nixed.
Mesabiapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
minneapolis, usa