4MARQ | 313 ft | 30 fl | Downtown | Complete - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #1
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5279

4MARQ | 313 ft | 30 fl | Downtown | Complete

Mortenson Development is proposing a 30-story luxury rental tower in downtown Minneapolis. UrbanWorks is the architect. It will be located at 400 Marquette Avenue.

Last edited by desertpunk; July 24th, 2014 at 06:46 AM.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #2
spectre000

More details,

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/...s1p-106952.pdf

313 feet tall. 262 apartments. 217 parking stalls.

Last edited by spectre000; April 19th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1668

Rumor has it that 4Marq is increasing in height to 34 stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:11 PM   #4
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
Rumor has it that 4Marq is increasing in height to 34 stories.
This is great news if the rumor is true! It will give the project a more prominent and prestigious image. It will create more units with good views as compared to Nic on Fifth. It also helps soften the unappealing bulk of Nic on Fifth by adding more verticality to the block.

Oh , the irony of Nic on Fifth cutting back their project from their much better original 34 story proposal. I wrote Opus a couple emails encouraging them rethink the height of the scaled back version given the golden opportunity to develop such an important site downtown. Can't say anything now but: "I told you so".

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; September 22nd, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
John Nicollet Mall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:50 PM   #5
spectre000

Don't you think Opus wanted to build a 33-story tower?

I'm pretty sure it was the banks who wouldn't finance a taller, more expensive building which forced them to scale it back. Remember several of Opus' regional subsidiaries went bankrupt just a few years ago.

If Opus (or any other developer for that matter) could find a way to make it feasible for a 50+ story tower they would. They have big egos after all.

If Mortenson could make it work, I'd bet they'd add another ten+ floors to this project.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:01 PM   #6
John Nicollet Mall

I agree that it's not all Opus fault and the people financing the project had some responsibility in making it a weaker project. But now we have a combined 60 stories of apartments going up on the same block. Hmmmmm. Someone isn't doing their homework. Opus should have been more aggressive and found a financier who understood the market.

Back to Marq4 . I can't wait to see the rendering with the rumored revised height. Should be approximately 344 feet and close to the size (of the shorter twin) of the nearby 5th Street Towers.

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; September 22nd, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:42 PM   #7
spectre000

60 stories of apartments with ~600 units in one tower versus two with ~300 in each one is not the same thing. Taller towers require more elevator banks and become more inefficient the higher you go. Also you have to deal with a longer construction time too. You run the risk of bringing the building online during a down market. It's just not as simple as we'd like to think. There are a host of issues when building really tall.

What ultimately needs to happen is the rental towers being built now have to prove they can be financially successful. No bank is going to hand over $200-300 million to a Magellan/Opus/Mortenson when a $100 million building couldn't support itself.

Last edited by spectre000; September 22nd, 2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:46 PM   #8
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nicollet Mall View Post
...Back to Marq4 . I can't wait to see the rendering with the rumored revised height. Should be approximately 344 feet and close to the size (of the shorter twin) of the nearby 5th Street Towers.
Floor-to-floor is 9'-8" according to the plans. 4 floors adds 39 feet, so it would be 352. But hey, if it's just a rumor and nothing else I'm still happy that anything is going up on that block!
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:43 AM   #9
John Nicollet Mall

Quote:
Floor-to-floor is 9'-8" according to the plans. 4 floors adds 39 feet, so it would be 352. But hey, if it's just a rumor and nothing else I'm still happy that anything is going up on that block!
Yes, your math is more accurate at 352! Trying to calculate in my brain is getting rustier and rustier. lol. Yes, I will be happy with the Marq4 (as is ) if the rumor is false.

Spectre, I never suggested that any apartment building should be 50 stories. It does bring construction to a higher complexity, longer time frame, expense etc. Nic on Fifth will be great at the street level. It's just the tower component of the original design was much more appropriate for this very important site and gave Nicollet Mall a decidedly signature building. It's very disappointing. The opportunity for that too happen on our most prominent street is extremely limited.

The good news in all this is if the Marq4 is actually 352 feet tall, it will create a step-up and vertical effect on the block making the tower part of Nic on Fifth stand out less. So, I'll stop whining now and be quiet.

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; September 23rd, 2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:24 AM   #10
spectre000

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nicollet Mall View Post

Spectre, I never suggested that any apartment building should be 50 stories.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I was just generalizing.

A taller 4Marq is going to have a nice step up effect northward for the skyline. Hopefully the Ritz block to the north gets something even taller. That would fill in the gap between the CBD and the Carlyle.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:02 AM   #11
John Nicollet Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I was just generalizing.

A taller 4Marq is going to have a nice step up effect northward for the skyline. Hopefully the Ritz block to the north gets something even taller. That would fill in the gap between the CBD and the Carlyle.
Sorry I got out of hand. Both Marq4 and Nic on Fifth are going to be great additions and bring lots of vitality. The Ritz block I think everyone can agree needs to be really really ambitious and on the scale of IDS and Wells Fargo. We will cross our fingers!
Old November 14th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #12
zumf

Likes (Received): 127

Mortensen said in the Star Tribune they plan to start this one in December. Sounds like 30 stories. Along with Xcel's headquarters building, this block will be all filled up!
zumf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #13
John Nicollet Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumf View Post
Mortensen said in the Star Tribune they plan to start this one in December. Sounds like 30 stories. Along with Xcel's headquarters building, this block will be all filled up!
When Marq4 and Xcel are built, this will be a powerhouse block. Also, Nic on Fifth will stand out less with its squat boxiness, and I think will look pretty good as an infill project. Marq4 is great because it creates a nice wall building and urban canyon effect along Marquette.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #14
Avian001
Mostly Sane

The parking lot is now closed in preparation for construction. It will be interesting to watch the Marquette side of that block. The rest of the Nic on 5th podium will be under construction at the same time excavation is being done for 4Marq right next door.

By the way, an interesting tidbit: Originally planned for this site was a 46-story, 700-foot office tower (counting the spire) with 400,000 GSF, self-financed by and for a private firm. That firm is now looking at a different site with grander plans.

Last edited by Avian001; November 22nd, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:11 AM   #15
nasa35

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
The parking lot is now closed in preparation for construction. It will be interesting to watch the Marquette side of that block. The rest of the Nic on 5th podium will be under construction at the same time excavation is being done for 4Marq right next door.

By the way, an interesting tidbit: Originally planned for this site was a 46-story, 700-foot office tower (counting the spire) with 400,000 GSF, self-financed by and for a private firm. That firm is now looking at a different site with grander plans.
I do believe a block to the north!!
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:28 AM   #16
John Nicollet Mall

And we may well see some other skyscraper development to the west of this project. If all this comes to fruition, this will become the new center on downtown.
Old June 10th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #17
achybo

Likes (Received): 2136

FINALLY some substantial news on this project. Sounds like it is pretty much a go.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/262390971.html
achybo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #18
John Nicollet Mall

Even though its another box of a building, the fašade has some architectural interest and will make a good infill. The issue is there has been an increasing trend towards a very conservative approach to design in this town, which degrades our long history of progressive and cutting edge architecture. The cumulative effect over time will be to make us a less unique city that stands out.

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; June 10th, 2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old June 11th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #19
achybo

Groundbreaking ceremony was held on Monday. So officially it is under construction

http://www.startribune.com/business/262464061.html
Old June 27th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #20
achybo

Posted by Michael on Urbanmsp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
4marq, minneapolis