Restructuring this section - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Aircraft Photos and Video | Aircraft | Airlines | Aviation Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #101
nastyaheyyo

Likes (Received): 7

Splitting airports and airlines would be a good measure (this is how it was organized before last forum shuffle

Equario liked this post
nastyaheyyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2016, 05:46 AM   #102
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18433

I see no need to further break the section into Smaller pieces.. Maybe when the Airport and Airlines section becomes more crowded then we can revisit further sub divided this section.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 01:31 AM   #103
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 3928

We still have that moron Patel posting one 'planespotters india' photo per news thread right now. It is NOT New and NOT Discussion...merely ignorant dumps from a spammer who is promoting his own website called.... http://www.planespotters.in/

Why do we waste bandwidth on Patel, he won't even pay SSC for advertising his shitty site. ????

mcarling liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2016, 01:29 AM   #104
RoarRa
RAWR ROAR RAWR

Likes (Received): 740

shameless self promotion

I'm gay I'm gay I'm gay, gay gay gay, gay gay gay so I'm gay, now you are offended,

GOOD
RoarRa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 07:50 AM   #105
Shreya Surana

Likes (Received): 4

It's a great idea
Shreya Surana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 10:12 PM   #106
btrs

Likes (Received): 136

@moderators:

Now that the Bombardier CSeries officially is part of the Airbus family I suggest the following:
* Cut all CSeries development and related news out of the general Bombardier thread
* Rename the newly created A220 thread to BOMBARDIER-AIRBUS | A220 (formerly CSeries) News and discussion
* Merge the cut-out news from the Bombardier thread into the new thread

In this way, both the Bombardier development, heritage and name of this programme are at least acknowledged. Airbus just put more resources in it by taking it over, but didn't start it from scratch.
btrs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2018, 10:01 AM   #107
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 7878

Airports and Aviation Restructuring Discussion. What are your ideas?

We've had a few comments about the need for some restructuring in this section.
Before we put things into a vote (if needed).

I want to hear feedback and suggestions from our members.

what are your thoughts?

For example, do you think there should be a no photo rule in the News thread to prevent distractive posting (all photos whether general aviation or news related go to the photo section)?

Instead of national airline categories (i.e. US aviation), should we do it by airline (United, Hawaiian, etc)?

etc

and happy holidays to everyone from the SSC team!
Old December 26th, 2018, 08:26 AM   #108
jonathanNCJ
Jesus lives

Likes (Received): 2980

I come only for photos. what's wrong with it?
Old December 26th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #109
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanNCJ View Post
I come only for photos. what's wrong with it?
there's nothing wrong with photos. but we have received a few complains about WHERE the photos are being posted.

They're being posted all over the news threads, and not in the photo threads. so it hurts the flow of discussion in the news threads.
Old December 29th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #110
UztoUS
Гузель Турсунова

Likes (Received): 120

individual airline threads is a horrible idea. some countries have hundreds of small airlines.
so are individual airport threads. China has hundreds of airports alone.

the only idea I agree with is having all photos be strictly in the photo section. maybe one photo just related to important news such as a fire or something.
UztoUS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2018, 03:00 PM   #111
Elhorseboxo

Likes (Received): 1062

With this being primarily an infrastructure/construction forum would it not make more sense if the airlines forum was a sub forum of the airport's one instead of the other way around..?
Elhorseboxo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2018, 03:15 PM   #112
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

thats a good point, although the current situation

Aircraft
> airport
> photos

the Aircraft parent forum has by far the most posts and activity.

an idea is to create a new subsection for airlines, which would split airport.

Zaz965 liked this post
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2018, 11:42 PM   #113
sponge_bob

I have no problem with photos and vids being used to 'decorate' news.

The problem in the airlines forum has been with a limited number of spammers who dumped non news photos constantly (no discussion possible with these idiots ). If I never see an A380 photo again I'll be happy.

The photos forum was created so that they could dump away and nobody would miss the news. These photo spammers have been managed as far as I am concerned.

The remainder who do like a photo with every story is generally newsworthy and the regular newsy photo contributors are quite happy to answer questions etc.

I am not in favour of one thread per airline, the groupings are good the way they are and I am sure the mods would entertain regroupings if asked...and please remember that awful Spamtanov thread of yore.

So as far as I am concerned there are no structural problems with the 3 aviation forums and neither is there with the balance of moderation in the 3 forums which works very well ...a credit to all involved on that side of the fence.
Old December 30th, 2018, 01:43 AM   #114
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

^ Thanks a lot Sponge and Uz.

How about a more simpler modification, what do you think

- Photos/vids in News should be limited to one per article. Everything else should be in photos?

- Rather than one thread per airline (it might get too chaotic), how about a new Airline subform?
Old December 30th, 2018, 01:32 PM   #115
sponge_bob

I am not sure that the Aviation forum is so busy that removing airlines is necessary right now. You could say that _if_ Aviation gets busier over time then a new Airlines forum will be created but I am not sure whether that time is now. That is kind of a roadmap statement.

The one photo per post rule would stop.:

1. Factory feeds (these have lots of photos)
2. 'My first A350 flight blog' posts (these tend to be rare)

Also if a shiny new airport opens like in Istanbul or Beijing and a flood of photos then appear of that airport then a one post rule stops them and they are a temporary issue really.

You could assume that people will go to that Airport thread hoping to see these photos for a month or so and then things settle down and the flood is over. I am inclined to leave those be.

I would be more inclined to crack down on outsize photos and on posters deliberately not using the [Resize=800..... tag on a widespread basis. As a global forum some people seem to think that bandwidth is cheap everywhere, and that is not the case.

RyukyuRhymer liked this post
Old December 30th, 2018, 02:11 PM   #116
btrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
The problem in the airlines forum has been with a limited number of spammers who dumped non news photos constantly (no discussion possible with these idiots ). If I never see an A380 photo again I'll be happy.
Indeed, that was my point mainly when I needed to shout in this post:
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...postcount=3586

So, I agree for the most part with sponge_bob. Photos can be posted in news and discussion threads, as long as they concern the following:
  • current news events
  • new deliveries
  • first and last flights (both aircraft types or destinations)
Everything else (like hkskyline's random photos in the HK thread) should go in the Photos forum.

In the main forum, the current division between airline topics and manufacturer topics is OK for me. How you want to handle it in the Photos sub-forum is up to your discretion, since I hardly go there (also the reason why I want random photos to go there, since I don't have to waste my time looking at them).

A point that does need attention is the topic finder thread. The search function is known to be broken at times, so it's useful we keep an own index of threads. I've messaged fieldsofdreams multiple times to add specific links, but either he doesn't want to make time or just gave up on his moderator duties of this forum.
This doesn't mean that another moderator can update the thread, so if you want to do this for me, just give me a shout out and I will message you the needed links.

Old December 30th, 2018, 02:19 PM   #117
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

^ alright those sound reasonable criteria for photos in news/discussion!

we may need to enforce these photo rules. Moving them all the time gets tiring if the posters don't keep stopping, we can enforce them by simply removing or editing the post, and eventually a warning.

Search function is beyond my abilities since it is on the tech side but I am totally open to a thread index once we finalize some restructuring ideas.

Once I get more feedback, I plan to open a poll and leave it for a week or two to see if we really need an airline subsection, and other things.

(if the airline subsection doesn't work out, such as draining too much from the main aviation section, we can always move threads back)
Old December 30th, 2018, 02:37 PM   #118
sponge_bob

@BTRS The SSC search function is crap and 'key posts and photos' links/jumps in the first post on a given airport/aircraft/airline would be good thread management given the difficulties in searching. That would tie down a mod for a while though.

A Thread finder sticky would solve a lot of issues, here is a good example.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=494575

There are large vBulletin sites like boards.ie that are much easier to search so I don't know what is wrong with SSC in this respect, it could be because it is difficult to push consistent indexes to cloud edges or something.

HKSkyline tends to alternate news with somewhat gratuitous photo posting. I forgive them their sins because they do post news and they do engage in discussion and answer questions. The type of poster I hate is the type of one who simply drive by and dump a photo(s) for the sake of it, and who discuss nothing, ever.

The forum also has posters who never post news without a photo if possible, below is a perfect example. I think this kind of posting is entirely within the rules and the spirit of the rules because it uses a photo to _deliver_ the news and the photos are relevant and not oversized. The second example shows 2 consecutive posts.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...2&postcount=22

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...110239&page=12

Last edited by sponge_bob; December 30th, 2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old December 30th, 2018, 11:03 PM   #119
btrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
A Thread finder sticky would solve a lot of issues, here is a good example.
Well the thread finder for this forum is already there, it just isn't updated anymore:
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1839652

Like I said above, I messaged fieldsofdreams multiple times but everytime he came with an excuse. So I think another moderator could update the thread now.
Old December 31st, 2018, 02:20 AM   #120
Zaz965
Je suis kanonirsss

Likes (Received): 36522

I would like to know if it is possible to separate under construction airports from concluded airports

djole13 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement