✈ | UL°/MJ | Sri Lankan Airlines and Aviation - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airlines

Airlines includes airline alliances and codeshare partnerships

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #1
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

✈ | UL°/MJ | Sri Lankan Airlines and Aviation

How is the airport expansion going in Colombo?? I tried looking for some pics, but only found the new runway. If anyone has any pics of the airport, post them!!
Bertez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2005, 07:51 AM   #2
lordvader

Likes (Received): 204

Colombo Airport (BIA) New Terminal

Next month a new terminal with eight aerobridges is scheduled to open. The capacity will be lifted from the current 3 million to 5 million. New duty free shops and a lounge has been added previously.

Could someone who has recently passed Colombo post some pics up of the new terminal??

Thanks

Last edited by lordvader; November 2nd, 2005 at 07:19 AM.
lordvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:33 AM   #3
Blacksun

Likes (Received): 0

new terminal? hum
Blacksun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Bertez

I had a good pic of the runway construction..... I will try and find it
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:17 AM   #5
lordvader

Lookin forward to the picture. Any pics of the terminal itself??
Old November 4th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #6
Bertez

Ahhh took me a long time, but here it is
Old November 4th, 2005, 02:26 AM   #7
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

nice

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #8
lordvader

Thanks!! Lookin good!!
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #9
Bertez

Sri Lanka to get a 2nd International Airport

Ahhh, Today was a horrible day for me....until I saw this

From Daily News

Work on Southern Int'l Airport begins in April

COLOMBO: President Mahinda Rajapakse yesterday directed the relevant Departments and officials to begin preliminary construction work on the new Southern International Airport in Hambantota in April.

He made this directive at a discussion on Southern development held at Temple Trees.

The acquisition of lands for the airport, preliminary plans and technical details were discussed at length.

It was also agreed to accelerate a series of major projects under the National Programme to Develop the South. Several of these projects will extend to the adjacent Eastern Province.

Among the main items on the agenda were the Hambantota Port and International Airport and Southern Expressways. It was agreed to extend the Southern Expressway to Kataragama in 2008.

The President also emphasised the need to bring the 37 Government institutions in Hambantota under one roof at the proposed mega-administrative complex.

This will have accommodation facilities for officers from other areas.

He also directed officials to explore the possibility of building the proposed Southern Information Technology Park in Godagama, Matara.

The President also directed his attention to the wild elephant problem affecting farmers in the region and instructed officials to expedite compensation to those whose cultivations have been ravaged by elephants.

He told the Wildlife Director to take steps to re-direct the elephants away from built-up areas.

Ports and Aviation Minister Mangala Samaraweera, Deputy Minister Duminda Dissanayake, Deputy Minister Mahinda Amaraweera and senior officials participated in the discussion.
Old February 24th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #10
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertez

It was agreed to extend the Southern Expressway to Kataragama in 2008.
if only expressway actually meant expressway, its little more than a two-laned road. Sri lanka has to start building highways, its really pathetic driving between different cities, the amoutn fo time driving through other cities to get to your destination is incredible.

i think the first one was to start from Matheli(i spelld it wrong) to Kandy i think.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #11
Bikaner
Bikaner

Likes (Received): 0

Good news! Sri Lanka has been needing a 2nd International Airport for quite some time now. This will save a lot of time for people living in the South.
Bikaner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #12
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 318

How many people live in the South?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #13
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikaner
Good news! Sri Lanka has been needing a 2nd International Airport for quite some time now. This will save a lot of time for people living in the South.

i dont see which airline would transfer their service to Hambantota or have a new service to that airport, Colombo makes more sense for all the foriegn carriers. Sri Lankan might have a few of its flights there i guess.
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #14
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 318

^Maybe it'll have regional services to South and Southeast Asia?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #15
Bertez

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzomoe
i dont see which airline would transfer their service to Hambantota or have a new service to that airport, Colombo makes more sense for all the foriegn carriers. Sri Lankan might have a few of its flights there i guess.
It might be used as an alternate airport, in case CMB gets shutdown
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #16
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 75

I was board Air Sri Lanka ten years ago from BKk to Hk and left me a very excellent and deep impression , it's pleased to see the related news here !
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #17
Kaiser
Herr

Likes (Received): 22

any renderings?
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #18
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoonflyer
I was board Air Sri Lanka ten years ago from BKk to Hk and left me a very excellent and deep impression , it's pleased to see the related news here !
its a tad bit overcrowded nowadays, when i went in March they were in the process of adding a depatures area with Jetways, one flight(cathay pacific) was enough to pack the entire arrivals area to overcapacity levels.
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #19
Bertez

That is why they are renovating the airport.....so that it can handle more people, while at the same time providing better services to the passengers
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:39 AM   #20
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 23494

SriLankan Grounds Some Flights Due to Pilot Exodus

Exodus of pilots leaves SriLankan Airlines flights grounded
28 February 2006

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) - Sri Lanka's national carrier has been forced to cancel some flights and reschedule others after 10 percent of its pilots quit over the past three months to join other airlines offering better salaries, officials said on Tuesday.

Two SriLankan Airlines London-bound flights were canceled over the last few days and many others were delayed after the departure of 30 experienced pilots out of the airline's total roster of 300, the carrier's head of corporate management, Chandana de Silva, said.

Passengers of canceled flights had been rerouted on other airlines, causing "a couple million" in financial losses, he said.

"But we have taken a lot of measures and the situation is now returning to normalcy," de Silva added, but said more problems could occur if any of the remaining pilots should fail to report to work.

"We have launched a recruitment drive for pilots and we will be able to resolve this problem," de Silva said.

A SriLankan Airlines pilot said on condition of anonymity that many of those who recently quit were among the most experienced pilots.

The monthly salary of a SriLankan Airlines pilot is about 1 million rupees (US$10,000), while some airlines elsewhere in Asia and the Middle-East offer monthly pay three times that amount, he said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement