RBC GATEWAY / FOUR SEASONS | 508 ft | 37 stories - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 25th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #21
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 5930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifat View Post
I never implied that at all. No one wants gaudy monstrosities, either. I just feel that there's simplicity, and then there's simply too simple.
I agree. This is a preliminary render, so let's wait and see how it develops (assuming it's picked as a winning entry).
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2014, 05:46 AM   #22
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1674

I will say I agree with Jennifat a little bit. I am a big fan of modernism done right, and I do think the Duval proposal is done pretty damn well. If the Wells Fargo tower is a throwback to Art Deco skyscrapers, this is a throwback to classic modernism.

But ultimately it is just a glass box for people to work in. I agree the skin and the details will make all the difference in the world on how this would fit into the skyline. But it would be nice to deconstruct the glass box a bit more.

(A few pages back someone said it would make Frank Lloyd Wright proud. I think Wright would damn this to hell. )
Old December 25th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #23
nasa35

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
I will say I agree with Jennifat a little bit. I am a big fan of modernism done right, and I do think the Duval proposal is done pretty damn well. If the Wells Fargo tower is a throwback to Art Deco skyscrapers, this is a throwback to classic modernism.

But ultimately it is just a glass box for people to work in. I agree the skin and the details will make all the difference in the world on how this would fit into the skyline. But it would be nice to deconstruct the glass box a bit more.

(A few pages back someone said it would make Frank Lloyd Wright proud. I think Wright would damn this to hell. )
I have to disagree. This tower is a perfect fit for MPLS; it's lines and simple elegance transitions perfectly. I'm not sure what would be better at this placement; JMO.

achybo liked this post
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #24
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 2123

In some ways , I get the comments about the tower being to simple in form. We have been waiting along time for something great to happen here!!! But when I think about the future skyline of our city, there's actually a great advantage to the design as far as its impact goes. The slender, rectangular, yet sleek elegance (as the tallest building in town) actually allows the opportunity for future, more dramatic skyscrapers (which we all know will likely be shorter) have more prominence and make their presence known. And it allows the Wells Fargo and IDS to remain iconic landmarks. I think there's a valid argument to say its minimalism is really its greatest asset.

achybo, DerekM liked this post

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; December 27th, 2014 at 06:43 AM.
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #25
achybo

Likes (Received): 2136

Streetscapes: Appraising tall buildings proposed for Nicollet Hotel site
Of four proposals for a key downtown site, the tallest, most impractical one may also be the best.

Quote:
The bids are in for the Nicollet Hotel site. Public reaction seems to be: That’s nice; that’s nice; that’s — HOLY COW, EIGHTY STORIES?
Let’s take a look at the four proposals we’ve seen.
1. Close but no cigar, even though it resembles one. From Doran Developers, a modest bid. The big 30-story cylinder looks like a hinge for Nicollet and Hennepin — a nice way to link the streets together again after so many decades. But there doesn’t seem to be enough of it. The area isn’t exactly dense — there’s the Cancer Survivor Park across the Mall, the broad stream of Washington Avenue.
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/286880401.html

Last edited by achybo; December 27th, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
achybo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #26
grant1simons2
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 2209

I like how hard James Lileks works on providing the public with info on the development happening in the city, but wow, he's the most passive aggressive people I know. He talks a lot about how he doesn't think there will be something bigger than IDS ever, but he always does it in a joking way. He just needs to open up some more I guess and be a bit of an optimist. Being alive in the 80s and 90s in Minneapolis must've really not helped peoples view on what can happen downtown
Old December 27th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #27
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5280

I like Lileks. He's forgotten more about Minneapolis skyscrapers than any of us will probably ever know.

Behind the satire and passive aggressiveness is a realist. He's seen every type of skyscraper proposal you can ever find. You'd be a little jaded too after that.

The Duval design being built is a long shot. Whether some people want to hear that or accept it is up to them.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #28
achybo

KARE 11 discusses TV studio in 80-story Nicollet Mall tower proposal

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...wer-duval.html
Old December 28th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #29
achybo

They have a facebook page now.

https://www.facebook.com/nicolletgateway

anjunabeats91 liked this post
Old December 31st, 2014, 03:52 AM   #30
DerekM
BANNED

Likes (Received): 135

Anyone care to guess the chances of the Duval design getting built????? Or any of the other designs????? I'm going with the Duval plan at 70% chance getting built.
DerekM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 04:49 AM   #31
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Anyone care to guess the chances of the Duval design getting built????? Or any of the other designs????? I'm going with the Duval plan at 70% chance getting built.
I give it a 30% right now. It's up against 3 other competitors at the moment. If it passes the selection process I'll give it 49% chance. It's a $300+ million dollar building from a firm that was just created. I think I'm being pretty generous frankly.

achybo liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 02:20 AM   #32
DerekM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I give it a 30% right now. It's up against 3 other competitors at the moment. If it passes the selection process I'll give it 49% chance. It's a $300+ million dollar building from a firm that was just created. I think I'm being pretty generous frankly.
W-O-W!!!!! I'm shocked at the low chances you think it is. But, I'm still learning, been following all this stuff for years, but it's still way over my head.
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:05 AM   #33
achybo

Quote:
My optimism lies due to the fact that he has assembled some well known engineers and architects.Looks like he is favored on the polls as well conducted by Bizjournal http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...refer/16176021
Quote:
Duval has assembled a large team of architects, engineers and lawyers. Most notable is Thornton Tomasetti, a structural engineer on the podium to Dubai’s Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building. Duval declined to provide the name of his investors and hotel operator.
http://www.startribune.com/local/min...tml?page=2&c=y
Maybe this is a publicity stunt for Duval but I don't think he he would do this unless he has a shot at it. $300 million is a paramount amount of money but like Texas RE said calculated risk at the right time and right location can pay off on the long run because of his bold design and shed limelight to his firm and the city. Keeping my finger crossed that this project(with some changes) would become a reality. Cheers to everyone and happy new year.

John Nicollet Mall, LukeNNicole liked this post
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:49 PM   #34
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 2123

Quote:
I'm thinking if Mr Duval has the money behind him to get it built, the city would overwhelmingly support it as it's the only proposal that comes close to being truly iconic.

My hunch is Mr Duval is well connected internationally from working with John Portman. There will likely be international investors who finance it. Its a whole different ball game than what we are used to here. It's the "big leagues".

achybo, LukeNNicole liked this post
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:22 AM   #35
grant1simons2
Architecture Student

I think it has a 40% chance of it happening. Doran is out of the race imo, Mortensons seems a bit odd and the only competition really is United. Duval has the money, trust me.

DerekM liked this post
grant1simons2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:56 AM   #36
DerekM
BANNED

Grant are you thinking that international investors we've heard about are the money people behind Duval?????
Old January 2nd, 2015, 01:03 AM   #37
grant1simons2
Architecture Student

Yes, like John had said, Duval used to work for a company called Portman & Associates. Portman has worked in Asia, Europe, and North America. He's worked in Beijing, Shanghai, Kuala Lumper, etc. I think Duval has kept some of those connections handy

DerekM, LukeNNicole, Texas RE liked this post
grant1simons2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 01:13 AM   #38
DerekM
BANNED

I wonder if any of these are who Ryan was referring to when he mentioned all the money people and companies that are ready to invest in Minneapolis. Because he mentions they were from all the continents. Ryan mentioned architects and engineers, too. I think I read that Tex was mum about this project, too. Maybe I'm reading into it too much.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:01 AM   #39
LukeNNicole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 138

my cousins from up there in the cities believe it'll get built. so, i'll go 60% just to be daring. it is a beautiful elegant tower.

Texas RE, achybo liked this post
LukeNNicole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #40
john_seattle

Likes (Received): 29

such quiet elegance to this tower. i'll go with 60%, too.

Texas RE, LukeNNicole liked this post
john_seattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
minneapolis, usa