RBC GATEWAY / FOUR SEASONS | 508 ft | 37 stories - Page 86 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2019, 04:19 AM   #1701
karlshea

Likes (Received): 298

What's that white pipe sticking out of the retaining wall near where they're drilling? I'm guessing water main? Or electrical?
karlshea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2019, 04:56 AM   #1702
MPLS_Const_Watch

Likes (Received): 1573

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like it is a connection to the upper level storm sewer and that the hose is connected to the sump pump they are using to keep the pit dry.
MPLS_Const_Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 05:06 AM   #1703
MPLS_Const_Watch

Yep, here's a zoomed-in section of my pano from 8/5, showing the white pipe connected via hose a a pump that is feeding out of what is presumably a shallow sump shaft.

Once they've excavated down to the limestone and are digging down into the limestone like they have, the pit won't really drain itself no matter how long they wait. At this depth the natural seepage in probably exceeds the natural seepage out, let alone what collects when it rains. Any water that comes in needs to be pumped out.

uptownbro, achybo, smoothuser liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2019, 06:50 AM   #1704
karlshea

Likes (Received): 298

Makes sense, thanks!

MPLS_Const_Watch liked this post
karlshea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 06:51 PM   #1705
RedDutch

Likes (Received): 423

If you get a chance you should treat yourself and walk by this pit. It is crazy how deep it is. And the intense activity of hammering out the limestone and all the digging equipment filling truck after truck is mesmerizing!!! Its really cool......I guess...... if you are a construction dork like me!!!
RedDutch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 02:29 AM   #1706
Mesabiapolis

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDutch View Post
If you get a chance you should treat yourself and walk by this pit. It is crazy how deep it is. And the intense activity of hammering out the limestone and all the digging equipment filling truck after truck is mesmerizing!!! Its really cool......I guess...... if you are a construction dork like me!!!
Agreed, and I'm not even a construction dork. I live a couple blocks away and I'm constantly missing green lights and walk signs because I'm gawking. For some reason, when this was still a surface lot, I didn't think much of the footprint of this building. But now with the gaping hole dug deep, it feels twice as big. Just wait until the beams go skyward. Then it'll really be felt.

TCMPLS liked this post
Mesabiapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:03 AM   #1707
Lmichigan

Likes (Received): 2729

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDutch View Post
How deep down would you guys estimate it is? When I saw it, it reminds me of the pit for the Hudson Tower in Detroit, and it is really crazy to watch. Though, that is different in that it was the basements of the old department store, which themselves were used for an underground parking garage they first had to demolish to get to the base of the bit.

It's been interesting to watch all of the work they've had to do to secure the "tub" walls with new ties, which took up a lot of time. And then all of the problems they've had hitting parts of the old department store foundation which ate up some drill bits. I think the bedrock is another 100 feet below the 40 feet below they already are from street level, and the whole block is 2 acres in size. It's incredible.

That limestone looks wild.
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:47 AM   #1708
MPLS_Const_Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmichigan View Post
How deep down would you guys estimate it is?
Looking at the plans, it looks like the lowest basement level (3 levels down) is supposed to be 33' below grade. So I'd bet that they're between 34' and 38' down for the part of the site where they're done digging. Not sure how deep they are drilling the caissons beyond that. At least another 35' or so, because it looks like the drill rig bottoms out and they reset it with an extension.

Lmichigan, uptownbro liked this post
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:37 AM   #1709
MPLS_Const_Watch

8/13.

Old August 16th, 2019, 12:38 AM   #1710
MPLS_Const_Watch

8/15.

Progressing fast! I would expect them to be switching hauling methods soon... I witnessed two trucks that were unable to get up the now quite steep exit ramp under their own power, and had to be pushed out by a bulldozer. Managed to get a photo of the 2nd one.

Old August 21st, 2019, 01:52 AM   #1711
MPLS_Const_Watch

8/20.

Old August 21st, 2019, 05:05 AM   #1712
anjunabeats91

Likes (Received): 1317

Going deeper!
anjunabeats91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 12:44 AM   #1713
bapster2006

Likes (Received): 1734

The north side of downtown from Target Field showing the gap where the Gateway tower will go.

Minneapolis skyline from Target Field 8-25-19 by Matt Bappe, on Flickr

prageethSL, achybo, smoothuser, uptownbro liked this post
bapster2006 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 03:21 PM   #1714
Scott16475

Likes (Received): 633

I REALLY like the look of the 365 Nicollet tower from Target Field.

TCMPLS, John Nicollet Mall liked this post
Scott16475 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 07:51 PM   #1715
Mesabiapolis

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott16475 View Post
I REALLY like the look of the 365 Nicollet tower from Target Field.
I do too. It's not that much taller or that much more architecturally exciting than 4Marq and Nic on 5th, but it pleasantly stands out. Maybe it's the fact it's a block further back from the core giving it prominence. Also, methinks Gateway may jut in front of Carlyle and 100 Washington in this pic. The gap air space is maybe the Library. Minor Debbie Downer comment, mwah mwah.

TCMPLS liked this post
Mesabiapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 01:47 AM   #1716
ArcCrypts
ŖᗄИИED

Likes (Received): 574

Yea, the Gateway would be more covering the Carlyle and 100 Washington.

Now turn your head a little to the left...

Last edited by ArcCrypts; August 27th, 2019 at 01:54 AM.
ArcCrypts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 02:10 AM   #1717
sanchopanza

Likes (Received): 74

Wow. I really had no idea that was the scale of the proposed building. I like it!

MPLS_Dispatcher_Guy liked this post
sanchopanza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 02:12 AM   #1718
TCMPLS

Likes (Received): 912

Wow, that is awesome - thanks for taking the time to do run that model and share with us!

What is the building you have in front of the Gateway - Firestation 1 tower? As well, is that really Eleven off in the distance between 365 & the Gateway?

I think that depending on your seat at Target Field youíll likely still have a good view of the Carlyle... and itís absolutely incredible how imposing Northloop Green will be
TCMPLS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 02:29 AM   #1719
ArcCrypts
ŖᗄИИED

Likes (Received): 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMPLS View Post
Wow, that is awesome - thanks for taking the time to do run that model and share with us!

What is the building you have in front of the Gateway - Firestation 1 tower? As well, is that really Eleven off in the distance between 365 & the Gateway?

I think that depending on your seat at Target Field youíll likely still have a good view of the Carlyle... and itís absolutely incredible how imposing Northloop Green will be
That's 240 Hennepin in front of The Gateway, and unfortunately, that isn't the Eleven between 365 and The Gateway, that just Opus's Nicollet 301, aka Ritz Block phase 2. It may as well not even exist in this view.

If you go on the top seats, you can see the Eleven though poke above 301 Nicollet, and from this top seat, you can also see Alia.

Old August 28th, 2019, 10:00 PM   #1720
eastharrietguy

Likes (Received): 101

Still not crazy about the proportion of Gateway... wish it was a bit narrower and a bit taller, but overall it works.

John Nicollet Mall liked this post
eastharrietguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
minneapolis, usa