365 NICOLLET | 334 ft | 31 stories - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #101
Jennifat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2980

I really, really hope this turns out like the rendering. It's got a sort of 70s "Sao Paulo chic" thing happening that could easily become another Nic on 5th if they skimp on details.

Old September 11th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #102
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifat View Post
I really, really hope this turns out like the rendering. It's got a sort of 70s "Sao Paulo chic" thing happening that could easily become another Nic on 5th if they skimp on details.
I think it will look better than Nic on 5th as the massing is less boxy, it's taller , and the slender side of the building faces Nicollet Mall. Not quite as confident about how the fašade materials will play out visually in real life, but hopefully it won't look too cheap.
John Nicollet Mall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 01:14 AM   #103
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 1111

I wish Opus would dare to wear some balls and do something spectacular and create a high-breed with 4 components, apartment, condo, hotel and office uses as well as a better street presence. They don't even have anything at their Nic on 5th site. For me their best Minneapolis design has been the 5th street towers. Here is where it did work out well to have a phased development. This will be a disappointment for many including myself. But let's think positively that hey eventually it will be another block that will be developed, finally after 20 some years.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000

TCMPLS liked this post
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #104
TallBob

Likes (Received): 286

That's kind of what I was hoping for a couple years ago! One building....Something in the 50-60 story range with the 4 components included!
TallBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #105
mullen

Likes (Received): 735

they only sat on their parcels for like 30 or so years...that surface parking was magical. so progress from opus.
mullen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #106
John Nicollet Mall

This is a fairly tall infill building which will create a nice wall effect along 4th street. It helps increase the urban density of downtown which was basically destroyed in the 1950's and 60's. And I think when phase two is built along with The Gateway project, the north end of Nicollet Mall will look quite impressive, especially from a pedestrian perspective.

As far as a 50+ story project, It's not going to happen (obviously) along Nicollet Mall. However , there are still many sites downtown with potential for that to occur. I do think a taller building will happen sooner or later.

achybo, Le Sueur liked this post
Old September 12th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #107
TCMPLS

Likes (Received): 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nicollet Mall View Post
This is a fairly tall infill building which will create a nice wall effect along 4th street. It helps increase the urban density of downtown which was basically destroyed in the 1950's and 60's. And I think when phase two is built along with The Gateway project, the north end of Nicollet Mall will look quite impressive, especially from a pedestrian perspective.

As far as a 50+ story project, It's not going to happen (obviously) along Nicollet Mall. However , there are still many sites downtown with potential for that to occur. I do think a taller building will happen sooner or later.
I do agree with this, I just really hope that the Gateway happens. The addition of that building will make these towers (if the 2nd one gets built) look better.

Did anyone ever do a design of what these will look like with The Gateway next to them?

John Nicollet Mall liked this post
TCMPLS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #108
achybo

Likes (Received): 2140

In my opinion if they are able to get Four Seasons on board then I think this would be pretty much a done deal. I don't think filling up apartments or selling condos(depending what they want to do with the residential component) would be that hard due to it's location especially when you will have a future streetcar station right at your doorstep.

John Nicollet Mall liked this post
achybo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:57 AM   #109
lancestar2

Likes (Received): 1038

(delete)

Last edited by lancestar2; May 7th, 2018 at 08:12 AM.
lancestar2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #110
John Nicollet Mall

Many people who live in those apartments also work downtown, so walking is their primary mode of transportation for commuting. And I'm sure the Blue Line is used by many downtown residents to get to and from the airport when traveling. It's very convenient.

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; September 13th, 2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old September 13th, 2016, 06:34 AM   #111
TallBob

Likes (Received): 286

About the 50+ story building....Why not Nicollet Mall? It's the street level activity that you're looking for anyway, and the more density the more street activity I would think! I'm not saying however that a 60 story should occupy every block....just a thought!
TallBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #112
Sun

Likes (Received): 250

It's not a unique design, but attractive as a residential buildings go. Also, I think it will fit well in the area by presenting a different texture to the already diverse facades of the area. Also, the scale of the building succeeds in expanding the density of the area.

I was downtown the other day and snapped this - will be nice to see yet another swath of asphalt built upon. Way to go Minneapolis!

Also, just biked by this morning, looks like they are starting 'demolition' of the parking lot.

Last edited by Sun; September 13th, 2016 at 04:56 PM.
Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #113
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
About the 50+ story building....Why not Nicollet Mall? It's the street level activity that you're looking for anyway, and the more density the more street activity I would think! I'm not saying however that a 60 story should occupy every block....just a thought!
There are really only two parcels left on Nicollet: The existing Target employee center at 10th and the existing YWCA at 12th. Target has "parked" their site for future development and we may eventually see a taller tower there. The Y site is interesting, though it would be a 1/4 block project (at best a 1/2 block project if the Continental is demolished).
Old September 14th, 2016, 09:31 AM   #114
John Nicollet Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
There are really only two parcels left on Nicollet: The existing Target employee center at 10th and the existing YWCA at 12th. Target has "parked" their site for future development and we may eventually see a taller tower there. The Y site is interesting, though it would be a 1/4 block project (at best a 1/2 block project if the Continental is demolished).
They're doing significant renovation work on The YWCA, so I doubt it's going to leave anytime soon. The site at 10th and Nicollet does have lots of potential, however, unfortunately, Target built all that office space in Brooklyn Park. It will be a long long time before the employee center makes way for a high rise.
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:26 PM   #115
mullen

Likes (Received): 735

thanks for the pics. nice to see that asphalt across from the library being torn up. that block in particular really stood out, was so barren for decades.

used to be a convenient parking spot back in my clubbing days...

m b p liked this post
mullen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #116
min-chi-cbus

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nicollet Mall View Post
They're doing significant renovation work on The YWCA, so I doubt it's going to leave anytime soon. The site at 10th and Nicollet does have lots of potential, however, unfortunately, Target built all that office space in Brooklyn Park. It will be a long long time before the employee center makes way for a high rise.
Maybe they'll sell some of that space (to their vendors and partners, perhaps) and decide to consolidate most of their office space downtown in an effort to stay competitive, since that's likely where the bulk of their Millennial workforce prefers to work.
min-chi-cbus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #117
RedDutch

Likes (Received): 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by min-chi-cbus View Post
Maybe they'll sell some of that space (to their vendors and partners, perhaps) and decide to consolidate most of their office space downtown in an effort to stay competitive, since that's likely where the bulk of their Millennial workforce prefers to work.
That is my hope as well!!!
RedDutch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 03:49 AM   #118
bapster2006

Likes (Received): 1734

I got a little vertigo just taking this pic. Enjoy the view from 300 feet up.

Ritz block construction from 300 feet up Minneapolis 9-17-16 by Matt Bappe, on Flickr
bapster2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #119
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 1111

^Makes me wonder if they will tear the whole thing up and do some sort of landscaping like Opus did with the 5th Towers before Phase II was built. Or for that matter like the Accenture Tower.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #120
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsuptown View Post
^Makes me wonder if they will tear the whole thing up and do some sort of landscaping like Opus did with the 5th Towers before Phase II was built. Or for that matter like the Accenture Tower.
That was "old" Opus. This is "new" Opus. I'll bet they want the parking revenue.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
minneapolis, opus