Green Infrastructure | Clean Air Zone, Parks and Environment - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #61
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7323

Conservative council pledge to add living walls along commuter routes including Aston expressway

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/new...-look-14260043

Old February 8th, 2018, 11:45 AM   #62
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1596

Doesn't Ivy die back in the Autumn and Winter.

Seems an odd choice of plant, though I suppose low maintenance is the key.
Old February 8th, 2018, 11:46 AM   #63
sefton66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamBadger View Post

Think it depends what plant is used, the railings on bristol street are green all year around
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2018, 01:17 PM   #64
BhamBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Think it depends what plant is used, the railings on bristol street are green all year around
Glad to be corrected. I don't neccessarily think this is the best idea. Though would definitely improve the approaches to the city.

I'm not sure what I think about this, could become home to animals, falling leaves and what not, though I am sure they did safety assessments of the policy before suggesting it, but it seems a tad dangerous for a canyon approach to the city.
Old February 8th, 2018, 02:33 PM   #65
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2526

I can't see this getting anywhere if i am honest. Closing the Aston Expressway (even just a lane) to maintain it for however many days a year will never work. I lso think Health and safety might be an issue considering the photo shows that on a slip entry to the Express Way. Just doesn't seem practicle to me. Other places might be more suitable though.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 03:01 PM   #66
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2027

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post

I heard that highways wouldn't allow real ivy to be used because it might damage the railings!

Real ivy was used to start with. I think they monitored how it effected pollution levels. After the tests had been carried out it was due to be changed to fake ivy! Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

I think I saw this on the Midlands Today.
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 03:29 PM   #67
sefton66

I remember something about they couldn’t allow it to become too established as the ivy may damage the railings and talks of using different variants of the plant and of covers with moss on or something but I don’t think it’s fake

I don’t think maintenance would be an issue, rather than ivy by the Aston expressway you’d probably get moss, like they have on the living roofs at many buildings which don’t require access to maintain

If they did require maintenance it would be completed when they do planned programmes closures such as street lighting and inspections anyway
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:43 PM   #68
jd88

Likes (Received): 166

I'm in two minds about this idea. Certainly from an aesthetic point of view it is a vast improvement. The pictures in the B Post article show how much nicer Bristol Street is today in comparison to how it was.

However, I'm never quite sure what the cost/benefit ratio is for living walls, something which Kingsheathen pointed out earlier on in the thread. I think I may have to do a little research to find out how strong the causal links are between living walls and an improvement in air quality.

An idea I have had to increase green is to create a turf element along Corporation Street on the same lines as at Snow Hill. There have been complaints about how barren this street looks without the cars, buses and trees on it - a long stretch of green turf may help to change that perception.

Bear Would Ian liked this post
jd88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:09 PM   #69
BhamBadger

With regularly crossing points to avoid people ruining the turf, I agree to greening corp street
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:47 PM   #70
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

I think we need the tall, thin trees on Corporation Street, like there is near Oozalls Square.

They are proper trees that grow a decent height but they shouldn't clash with the overhead lines.

I can't stand crappy little trees that the council likes to plant in the suburbs.

Bear Would Ian liked this post
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:57 PM   #71
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Here are some of the crappy small trees that annoy me on a regular basis. They just don't seem to grow?!

jd88 liked this post
Old February 9th, 2018, 11:38 PM   #72
jd88

Quote:
With regularly crossing points to avoid people ruining the turf, I agree to greening corp street
I was thinking upon the same lines entirely as this. The turf may also discourage jay walkers who sometimes slow the metro down and also put the city in a bad light to new visitors. The concern I do have with the turf is that it may put off future cyclists who are looking to get to Aston University.

Kingsheathen the trees from the photo look nice but I would be concerned how it would affect pedestrian flow for a street that has far greater numbers than the one you show for Brindleyplace. I don't think that the pavements along Corporation Street have the space to incorporate trees successfully.

The whole street looks a bit grey however - how about some coloured paints, varied lighting and a few potted plants?
Old February 10th, 2018, 12:55 AM   #73
TJF

Likes (Received): 157

Corporation Street is still a road though isn't it? It's not open to regular traffic anymore, but still facilitates deliveries etc.. Also there's too much pedestrian traffic to make a grassed area feasible without barriers. It would be pure mud at this time of year.

I agree that Corporation Street is lacking greenery, but I think the tall thin trees suggested by Kingsheathen, well placed, would be the way to go.

edit: Also, Corporation Street used to have trees, as well as being a main shopping street and rammed with buses in the recent past. I'm sure it can cope with a few well placed trees (OHLE permitting). The buses are gone and pedestrians can cross the street freely with a tram only coming every couple of minutes.

Last edited by TJF; February 10th, 2018 at 01:32 AM.
TJF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 09:37 AM   #74
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1562

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd88 View Post
I don't think that the pavements along Corporation Street have the space to incorporate trees successfully.
They incorporated large trees successfully for 20 years, at a time when the street was also full of buses.

I think this idea of turfing Corporation Street is very odd and would raise serious maintenance issues. Like TJF, I don't see why they could not reintroduce a few trees: in fact, I originally assumed this was what was going to happen.

leonigmig liked this post
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 12:06 PM   #75
sefton66

Did anyone see the documentary on car pollution trialed in kings heath? The planted trees they used to line the car parking space would be awesome along a lot of our streets in permanent stone bases spaced out along streets

tillerslave, Kingsheathen liked this post
Old February 10th, 2018, 05:28 PM   #76
tillerslave

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:

It is an evergreen plant
tillerslave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 09:58 PM   #77
jd88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsmothers View Post
They incorporated large trees successfully for 20 years, at a time when the street was also full of buses.

I think this idea of turfing Corporation Street is very odd and would raise serious maintenance issues. Like TJF, I don't see why they could not reintroduce a few trees: in fact, I originally assumed this was what was going to happen.
TJF's point about delivery vehicles was something that I had overlooked and if they need to go along Corporation Street then the green turf wouldn't be a good idea I admit.

As a result of me being a bit nerdy I checked out on Google Maps whether those vehicles have to use Corporation Street for deliveries and it's not really clear. There is minimal parking for delivery drivers and it's all located on one side of the street. That bay of parking is very close to Fore Street that can be used by vehicles and which doesn't require access to Corporation Street. On the other side of the street it is even more unclear as I am not sure it is permitted for any vehicle to drive along it.

All in all a little confusing then! However, if there was no need to have delivery vehicles on Corporation Street then why not forbid all vehicles to drive along it which would enable some of the space to be turned into turf. I'm not sure what other maintenance matters you had in mind, any more than those at Snow Hill. On the other hand if the street is genuinely required to be used by delivery vehicles then in my opinion why not allow other means of transport such as electric battery taxis and bicycles. In either situation the road itself will look far more used.

Google Maps also does bring up images of what Corporation Street used to be like prior to the Metro. The difference is large. The trees that were planted then would not be used today as they would overhang onto the overhead cables. I noticed also that there were large potted plants along the pavement whilst the pavement itself was a different colour to the road. All of these differences made the street appear far more busier - too busy in my opinion.

I'm still not sold with trees on this particular stretch of pavement. I just don't think the pavements are wide enough and it may make the street a little clumsy if pedestrians have to continually navigate around them.

That said I don't know and there would be no harm in trialing trees to see if they could be placed successfully.
Old March 25th, 2018, 09:45 PM   #78
Lucas98

Likes (Received): 311

Apologies if this has already been discussed but was there any news regarding the new park as part of the smithfield masterplan?
Lucas98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2018, 09:03 PM   #79
OperateOnMe

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsheathen View Post
I heard that highways wouldn't allow real ivy to be used because it might damage the railings!

Real ivy was used to start with. I think they monitored how it effected pollution levels. After the tests had been carried out it was due to be changed to fake ivy! Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

I think I saw this on the Midlands Today.
Not sure if that is fake news, but testing reduction of pollution with real plants (similar to the hedges for a week in Kings Heath) then changing to plastic plants with high carbon footprint sounds actually very believable if health and safety idiots are involved.

The aim is to reduce CO2 emissions and with the right plants similar to the living benches it could very realistically work with minimal maintenance. My only worry is idiots drivers who like 'swapping paint' if they have an accident it may take a large part of a living wall so to secure it in modules is going to be expensive. I hope they do this rather than painting go faster colours on the wall.
OperateOnMe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2018, 01:16 PM   #80
sefton66

Here is the report on the scheme

https://mobilane.co.uk/wp-content/up...t-July2015.pdf

The only mention I can find of the project and H&S is that the ivy has to be fixed to the back of the railing so staff would not be road side of the railings, which makes sense

The findings come to the conclusion that it did improve air quality so hopefully we see this scheme start to spread, even hedges or trees along central reservations?

I think the way things are going the future will see a lot more greenery everywhere to be honest it’s really come to the publics attention lately and getting a lot of media attention which seems to be taken seriously, same goes for plastics too

Over the past few years we’ve seen the snow hill living wall, new street and this and they do look good, the best thing about them is they cover what would otherwise be blank walls/graffiti etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement