#Completed: Howard Smith Wharves - mixed - Page 48 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland

Queensland » Gold Coast | Regional Queensland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2019, 11:34 AM   #941
Flyash

Likes (Received): 32

Thank you Nathan for these detailed updates - it's like a virtual tour. Much appreciated.

There is certainly more buidlings, awnings and structures than what I expected.

I suspect there will be some degree of evolution for these buidlings and the overall look and feel of the Wharves in the years to come.
Flyash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2019, 10:03 PM   #942
EnolaGray

Likes (Received): 1425

I think you might find those giant pot plants on top of the air raid shelter were quickly removed this week after someone questioned how that fit in with the plan for the heritage preservation of the shelters.
EnolaGray no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 12:55 AM   #943
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 12840

Interesting... I'll be down there again on Saturday, so I'll have a look.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 09:47 AM   #944
fish.01

Likes (Received): 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaGray View Post
I think you might find those giant pot plants on top of the air raid shelter were quickly removed this week after someone questioned how that fit in with the plan for the heritage preservation of the shelters.
And according to cbdbug questions raised by BCC about the use of oleander which is apparently declared hazardous to children.
fish.01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 01:30 PM   #945
dannydeckchair

Likes (Received): 275

I really want to like this development. No doubt the activation of the space has been a great outcome for Brisbane. But it's just a little disjointed, cluttered and in parts bordering on distasteful (this is subjective of course). From a design perspective the precinct is trying to be too many things and I just don't think they nailed it, unfortunately.

gerryt1, Omnom, BrizzyChris, Macca-GC liked this post
dannydeckchair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 03:23 PM   #946
gerryt1

Likes (Received): 1175

They definitely didn't nail it in my opinion. Totally agree that they've tried to fit too much into the area. Hence, that is why I hope there will be enough big trees to hide/camouflage half the buildings so that you come on one building and then another will poke out from behind a tree or row of shrubs. Soften the blow so to speak.

That will be the only saving grace in my opinion.
gerryt1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 10:44 PM   #947
nathandavid88

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
And according to cbdbug questions raised by BCC about the use of oleander which is apparently declared hazardous to children.
They planted oleander??? Who's the bright spark who thought that would be a good idea? Oleander is a highly toxic plant, and a large enough ingestion will kill.

https://www.childrens.health.qld.gov...rium-oleander/

ROCKETI liked this post
Old November 7th, 2019, 02:45 PM   #948
gerryt1

Haha. Too busy taking pics to show all your friends on here to notice. Scroll back through your pics and there are two pics with them in.

I, of course, noticed them immediately.
Old November 7th, 2019, 02:49 PM   #949
gerryt1

Dunno how they are gonna soften the blow of walking past the back of Howard's Hall. That would be one of the most uninspiring parts of the whole complex.

LeSnakk liked this post
Old November 12th, 2019, 08:14 AM   #950
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
They planted oleander??? Who's the bright spark who thought that would be a good idea? Oleander is a highly toxic plant, and a large enough ingestion will kill.

https://www.childrens.health.qld.gov...rium-oleander/
I don't find it too hard to believe. In my professional career, I've had an argument with a landscape architect who wanted to plant toxic plants in a park - their arguments included "but the flowers are so beautiful", "if everyone knows it's dangerous, people will leave it alone", "we can't be held responsible for what people do in a public place."

Apparently HSW didn't have someone making that sense check.

nathandavid88 liked this post
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 04:52 AM   #951
nathandavid88

We have a new infrastructure fail from the Howard Smith Wharves, with the completion of construction associated with Stanley Restaurant showing that the existing pedestrian path now dead ends, forcing pedestrians to detour onto the cycle path right at the point of the blind corner.

Quote:
Howard Smith Wharves promises to fix dangerous 'footpath to nowhere'
Tony Moore
By Tony Moore
November 17, 2019 — 10.29pm

Howard Smith Wharves management has promised to make quick changes to a clumsy pedestrian walkway that leads into a wall and encourages pedestrians to step in front of cyclists on a blind corner.

The development's new facilities manager, Danny Muzzolini, started less than a fortnight ago and noticed the problem immediately.

"We've already had some meetings about it and there will be changes," Mr Muzzolini said.

Cars, delivery vans, cyclists and ride-sharing vehicles crowd into one narrow section behind the restaurants, and there is no clear path for pedestrians.

They have to step into the direct path of cyclists on a blind corner to continue walking through the busy area between the Fantauzzo Hotel and the bars and restaurants along the river's edge.
On the bright side, HSW's new Facilities Manager Danny Muzzolini, who only started a fortnight ago, noticed this issue straight away and will work to have it fixed. Maybe he will also address some of the other issues present in that area of the wharves.

Quote:
Mr Muzzolini said he was aware of the problem and the issue would be addressed at a management meeting on Monday.

"I only started a week and a half ago, and it was one of the first things I saw when I walked in here," he said.

"I said 'that is very odd', and I have already broached it with the chief financial officer.

"It was high up on the list of things to be done. Now it's being raised publicly with me, we'll make it top of the list on Monday."

KJBrissy, gerryt1 liked this post
Old November 19th, 2019, 04:07 PM   #952
gerryt1

The place is just one big mess. Bitterley disappointed.

Flyash liked this post
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:00 PM   #953
dannydeckchair

Who led the the original masterplanning for the site, Council or the private proponent? If it's the later I'm not surprised, but Council is still at fault for approving it.
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:31 PM   #954
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 5280

Also, council were warned repeatedly, just like the state was/is with Queen's Wharf.
Old November 20th, 2019, 01:07 AM   #955
bribri

Likes (Received): 2126

There is essentially too much clutter. Those "pavilions" should not have been built, the new food booths at the feet of the pylons should be removed and some, if not all, of the awnings on the old water police building should also go.

KJBrissy, Flyash liked this post
bribri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2019, 12:55 PM   #956
dannydeckchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribri View Post
There is essentially too much clutter. Those "pavilions" should not have been built, the new food booths at the feet of the pylons should be removed and some, if not all, of the awnings on the old water police building should also go.
It appears that some of the structures you are referring to were built illegally. This place is quickly becoming a problem child.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...22-p53db8.html
Old November 26th, 2019, 01:47 PM   #957
gerryt1

I've said it before. From something I was looking forward to to something I virtually hate. That's my opinion of this mess.
Old November 27th, 2019, 01:01 AM   #958
nathandavid88

I don't think it is quite that bad - a lot of it is as originally proposed, and for the most part I'm fairly happy with the outcome.

That said, which bright sparks at HSW decided to undertake building works without council approval?
Old November 27th, 2019, 02:08 AM   #959
tic
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)

Likes (Received): 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryt1 View Post
The place is just one big mess. Bitterley disappointed.
Couldn't disagree more. It brings an incredible vibe and energy to a previously dead section of the city/river. If you want peaceful inner city parkland, go to Roma Street or Newstead Park or Botanic Gardens.

I bloody love it!

PS - I respect your view, just disagree.

nathandavid88, QF Flyer, LeSnakk liked this post
tic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2019, 05:02 AM   #960
freefalladdict

Likes (Received): 474

This.

The thousands of happy punters that pack the place out every weekend clearly don’t hate it, myself included. Best addition to Brisbane in a very long time.

tourismman liked this post
freefalladdict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement