FOOTBALL Thread - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Social Places and Forum Issues > Sports Center

Sports Center News, photos and discussions of sports events in the Philippines and around the world.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM   #41
RonnieR

Likes (Received): 3679

great news....keep 'em coming.
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:53 AM   #42
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerfish View Post
APPROPRIATE? is this some kind of exclusive club only thread? sorry man im not from ayala alabang! so dont count me in!

isnt it more nice if other people too can see what you football fans are talking about here? maybe they might join into the discussions too.

football is for everyone.. put this thread in the open where people either logged in or not can see posts here.
Its not about skyscrapers is it? Its not about about an urban issue is it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but its not a photography or heritage thread either.

Hence why its in samahan. The issue here is not about exclusivity, its about putting threads in its proper place. When we developed SSC Philippines, we intended to put non-skyscraper, non-urban and non-economy threads in samahan.

I agree with you that football is for everyone. And by no means was I saying that it should be hidden and locked away. Whether or not samahan should be visible to everyone is another issue.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:22 AM   #43
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 483

Well said, Ryan. You still got that mod's touch about you (it never left as far as I'm concerned).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:29 AM   #44
off_side

Likes (Received): 1

Azkals not stymied by cold Ulan Bator
Cedelf P. Tupas
First Posted 12:01:47 03/03/2011

Filipino striker Phil Younghusband remains convinced that the abject wintry conditions in Ulan Bator will not pose much of a problem for the Philippines in the second leg of its AFC Challenge Cup qualifying duel with Mongolia.

The 23-year-old striker believes he has played in even worse conditions while seeing action for Chelsea in the Reserve League in England.

“I just think as long as you’re running around the pitch that won’t be a problem,” Younghusband, who scored one goal in the 2-0 win over Mongolia in the first leg in Bacolod City, told the Inquirer.

“On that day, I would rather be playing on the pitch than just watching the game [from] the stands.”

Younghusband said he was disappointed at the way Mongolia played the first leg, where the visitors opted to just sit back and defend.

“I expected them to be better,” said Younghusband. “At least they should have shown some composure on the ball.”

Younghusband added: “I don’t think I can be called complacent that even without Neil (Etheridge) and Rob (Gier) we can get a result in Mongolia.”

The scorer of 13 international goals for the Philippines believes the Azkals can come away with at least a 4-nil victory in Mongolia and move into the group qualifying in Yangon, Myanmar.

Temperatures in Ulan Bator were recorded at -13 degrees Celsius yesterday. The second match on March 15 is set at 1 p.m., which is already considered the hottest time of the day in the Mongolian capital.

The National Stadium in Ulan Bator has an artificial pitch and the Azkals have been familiarizing themselves with the surface by training at the International School Manila.

The Azkals underwent an unconventional training routine yesterday, walking through “Winter Wonderland,” one of the attractions in a theme park in Manila, before practicing at the ISM.

“We want the players to get a feel of the weather, see if they can really handle it,” said Azkals manager Dan Palami.

Palami, who will receive the Executive of the Year award for his work with the Azkals during the Philippine Sportswriters Association-Coca Cola Awards Night on Saturday, expressed confidence of the team making an impact beyond the Mongolia match.

http://www.inquirer.net/sports/artic...lan-Bator.html
off_side no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:39 AM   #45
off_side

NATIONAL OPEN , BusinessMirror version

National open football tilt back after five-year hiatus
Tuesday, 01 March 2011 19:27 Rick Olivares

THE national men’s open football tournament returns after a five-year hiatus via the Smart National Clubs Championship which gets under way this month with the provincial qualifying rounds.

“This revives a national tournament that we have not had in a while,” Philippine Football Federation (PFF) competitions department head Cyril Dofitas told the BusinessMirror. Bacolod City hosted the last national tournament five years ago.

“We can thank the new federation leadership and the great support football is now getting not just from Filipinos but other countries, as well,” added Dofitas.

The topnotchers in the provincials will advance to the cluster qualifying rounds, after which the top eight will move on to the nationals in Manila from June 6 to 25.

The single-round robin competition takes place from April 1 to 16 when football associations battle it out in Cluster Qualifying Rounds.

The teams are Baguio City, Laguna, Quezon, Rizal and Tarlac for North, South and Central Luzon; Camarines Norte, Naga City-Camarines Sur, Legazpi City-Albay, Masbate and Oriental Mindoro for Southeast Luzon; Butuan-Agusan del Norte, Bukidnon, Iligan-Lanao del Norte, Cagayan de Oro-Misamis Oriental and Surigao del Norte for North Mindanao; Agusan del Sur, Compostela Valley, Davao and Davao del Norte for South Mindanao; Maguindanao-Cotobato City, North Cotobato, South Cotobato and Sultan Kudarat for Central Mindanao; and Misamis Oriental-Ozamiz, Zamboanga, Zamboanga del Norte-Dipolog and Zamboanga del Sur-Pagadian for West Mindanao.

From April 1 to 30, clubs from the Visayas (Cebu, Iloilo, Leyte, Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental) and the National Capital Region will compete in their Regional Qualifying Rounds while waiting for the winners of the Luzon and Mindanao clusters.

“Because of the little time we have [given the national tournament schedule], we will begin our competition as soon as the college football season ends,” said National Capital Region Football Association president Atty. Rolly Tulay.

“Right now we are looking to hold the finals in either the Rizal Memorial or the University of Makati,” said Dofitas.

Clubs may include up to five foreign players but only four can play on the field at any given time.

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/hom...ve-year-hiatus
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:42 AM   #46
off_side

Philippines to host Suzuki Cup
Monday, 28 February 2011 19:52 Rick Olivares / Columnist .

WITH the successful staging of the home match by the Philippines in the Asian Football Confederation Challenge Cup in Bacolod in February against Mongolia, it is possible that the suddenly football-mad country may yet get an opportunity to host an even bigger tournament.

In a fax letter to Philippine Football Federation (PFF) Mariano Araneta on February 23, Ian Mathie, vice president of World Sports Group, the organization behind the Asean Football Federation Championship, said: “We are very much in favor of the Philippines hosting the 2012 or 2014 versions of the Suzuki Cup should you qualify or be selected.”

“Hosting will not only be an honor but it will show the world that we have arrived as a [footballing] nation. With solid crowd support, who knows what our national team can achieve?” said Araneta.

But Mathie, in the same letter, mentioned that there are strict criteria that should be followed for any potential host country.

“Not only is [the Suzuki Cup] it Southeast Asia’s premier football event, it is also the standard-bearer for all sporting events in the region,” said Mathie.

Mathie added: “We are willing to assist the PFF in identifying a suitable stadium that will undoubtedly require upgrades and renovations to meet the aforementioned criteria.”

The PFF is currently looking at utilizing a property in Tambo, Parañaque, donated by El Shaddai leader Bro. Mike Velarde, as a new training facility and possibly the site of a world-class football stadium.

The 4.5-hectare area will be leased for 25 years to the PFF.

“It is a very generous offer considering it is rent-free,” said Araneta. “Things are really looking up for Philippine football.”

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/hom...ost-suzuki-cup
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:10 AM   #47
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Likes (Received): 8

Fil-Spanish striker seeks spot with Azkals

SPEAKING no English but armed with dreams of playing for the Philippine Azkals, Filipino-Spanish striker Angel Aldeguer flew all the way from Malaga, Spain virtually nonstop and arrived in Manila last Tuesday to try out for the national men’s football team.

With his cousin, Rafael Garcia, serving as his interpreter, the 6-foot-3 shaggy-haired Aldeguer was interviewed by head coach Hans Michael Weiss shortly before the squad’s practice at the International School Manila in Taguig City.

The coaching staff will get to size up the 26-year-old forward, whose mother hails from Isabela, during four days of workouts at the ISM’s artificial pitch, which school management reportedly has kept off limits to media.

Weiss said Aldeguer is being eyed as reinforcement for the Asian Challenge Cup group stage kicking off in Myanmar on March 21, assuming the Azkals hurdle Mongolia when they tangle in the return match of their AFC Challenge Cup series at the Mongolian capital of Ulan Bator on March 15.

The Azkals blanked the Blue Wolves 2-0 in the first leg of the series last Feb. 9 at the Panaad Stadium in Bacolod.

Aldeguer, who has been playing football since he was six, is a forward for Spanish third division Club Deportivo Ronda, Garcia said, adding his cousin earlier tried out for powerhouses Atletico Madrid and La Deportivo de Coruna.

"Actually it was I who urged my first cousin to try out for the Azkals and told him to send his resume and videos of his performance," Garcia said. "Apparently, the coaching staff liked what they saw and invited him to try out for the team. So now he’s here."

Aldeguer would be a welcome addition to the Azkal where he can use his experience, size and height for headers.

Although still battling jet lag after his 13-hour flight from Spain, Aldeguer was eager to show off his skills to Weiss, who advised the player not to force himself too much.

"He (Aldeguer) is coming from a cool climate in Europe while it is warmer over here," Weiss said. "We will give him time to adjust. Anyway he has four days to show us what he has got."

National team liaison officer Ace Bright said they have started processing Aldeguer’s passport in the event he is tapped for the Myanmar tournament.

Assistant coach Edsel Bracamonte said there would no problems in including the Fil-Spanish player into the official lineup "since he was part of the original 53-man list we submitted to the AFC."

"We are allowed to make changes in the roster after our away match against Myanmar," Bracamonte said.

Malaya
Maxxclip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #48
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Azkals to use thermal gear in Ulan Bator

MANILA—The Philippine football team will use technologically advanced winter gear that will help the Azkals cope with the sub-zero conditions in the second leg of its AFC Challenge Cup duel with Mongolia in Ulan Bator.

Mizuno, official outfitter of the national team, is providing the Azkals with specially designed thermal gear similar to the ones being used by Japanese athletes in the Winter Olympics.

“We have been guaranteed by Mizuno that this gear will be enough for our players to cope with the cold in Mongolia,” said Philippine Football Federation president Mariano “Nonong” Araneta during the ceremonial turnover of the equipment at the PFF office yesterday.

Master Sports general manager Paolo Cagalingan, whose firm is the exclusive distributor of Mizuno, assured that the gear will keep the players warm.

“Without sounding technical, our Breathe Thermo fabric that the players will use self generates heat that our bodies generate during physical exertion,” said Cagalingan.

The temperature in Ulan Bator was at -10 yesterday, but Araneta expects it to be around -1 to zero degrees during the match on March 15.

“With our gear, I think we can do better in Mongolia than in Bacolod,” Araneta said, referring to the 2-0 first leg win.
Meanwhile, Angel Guiriado Aldeguer, a 6-foot-2 Spanish striker, has started training with the Azkals and could join the squad if the Azkals progress to Myanmar for the second round.

inq
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #49
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiretoce View Post
Well said, Ryan. You still got that mod's touch about you (it never left as far as I'm concerned).
hehe...like riding a bike.

Good to know that the Azkals are attracting players to play for them.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #50
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Know your Azkals: Phil Younghusband is not perfect

Many guys dream to be Phil Younghusband, while many girls dream to be with him. But if you’ll ask Phil himself, he’s far from perfect.

Physically, Phil looks like a guy cut out from a Benetton ad – green eyed with a tall and buff physique. Perfect, so to speak. Well he disagrees, and points to scars on his arm and knee.

“I love football but I hate all the injuries I get from it, especially the cuts and bruises. I hate it because it’s always gonna be with you. It’s not really painful. It’s more of annoying," he says. They don’t really look so bad, and he probably realized that himself as he laughed at his complaint.

Still a bachelor (maybe not for long)

The 23-year-old may be considered one of the most in-demand bachelors in the country today, but he still gets turned down. Case in point: actress Angel Locsin declined his first date invitation via Twitter (and I can imagine girls everywhere sighed in relief).

Asked what the real score is between them, he says, “There’s no update. So I’m keeping mum until something actually happens."

Since he hasn’t quite bagged the girl of his dreams yet, the girls in his life are solely his mom Susan and sister Keri. In fact, he says the sweetest thing he’s ever done for a girl was actually for his mom.

“My mum doesn’t like us giving her gifts on Christmas. She just wants a letter. So on every occasion, I write her a really sweet letter," he smiles.

Going into showbiz?

Phil is no newbie to showbiz. Aside from numerous endorsements and modeling stints, he was a contestant in GMA-7’s “Celebrity Duets." However, we won’t be seeing him as the perfect leading man anytime soon too.

“If I would go into showbiz, I’d probably do action. Since I’m sporty, I can do my own stunts. Plus there’s not a lot of talking. The Tagalog is hard," he laughs.

But if given the chance to host his own show, Phil says it will still be about football. He wants to make a documentary showing the state of football in the country, the politics, and the growing popularity of the sport especially among kids.

Of course, going into the entertainment industry would only increase his already massive fan base. It shouldn’t be a problem as Phil says he adores his fans.

“Filipinos are very conservative and respectful, so nothing really crazy. If anything, my fans are really sweet. One time, they gave me this scrapbook filled with letters by fans from all over the Philippines," he says.

“Mas gwapo ako sa kanya"

Phil and James have a mere 11-month gap. Because of this, they’re often taken as a pair even if they’re not twins. It’s probably because of this that Phil makes a conscious effort to differentiate themselves.

Phil says his favorite movie is “Titanic," but quickly asks, “Did James say the same?" True enough, James did.

“Okay now I’ll say something else. I don’t want to say what he said. Uhm, probably ‘Wedding Singer.’"

Phil made sure he also gave a different answer for favorite Filipino statement.

“Mas gwapo ako sa kanya," he said and then laughed out loud.

Apart from football, James and Phil have distinct interests. James is the artsy brother, while Phil prefers academics. “If I wasn’t a football player, I’d probably be studying Math to be an accountant," he says.

Quite surprised since Math and football are on opposite sides of the pole, I asked if he’s good in Math.

“Well, I used to be good in Math. I’m not sure now," he laughs.

A footballer-model-accountant all rolled into one – if that's not perfect, I don't know what is.
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #51
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Homeless no more
by Samantha King

There’s something thoroughly captivating about the way football is played. The deft handling of the ball, purposeful movements up and down the field, nimble sidesteps and acrobatic feats of athleticism… Sure, basketball can do all this and then some, but it’s only in a game of football where the feeling of the ball hitting the back of the net is infinite. I’ve been playing football since grade school and I can say for sure: there’s nothing quite like it in the whole world.

Now, I realize my writing about the sudden burst of football fever in the country is coming out a bit late, especially in light of the number of tweets, blog posts, status updates, and write-ups that have germinated since last year, but you’ll have to bear with me. After all, considering how the UAAP football season has just ended with the UP Fighting Maroons bagging the championship, well, it’s a wonderful time to be a football fan here in UP.

And on that note, I never thought I’d say this, but it’s a wonderful time to be a football fan here in the Philippines.

Yes, the Philippines. Land of the hoop-loving and the basketball-crazy, where football has been left at the periphery of national consciousness despite being the oldest national team in Asia… until now.

Formerly deemed the sacrificial lamb of the region, we are Southeast Asia’s whipping boy no more — the Azkals win over defending champion Vietnam in the AFF Suzuki Cup last December saw to that; with the national team making it to the semifinals for the first time in the competition’s 14-year history.

When I think about how that fateful day changed the sentiments of an entire nation overnight, I can’t help but be amazed. Was it only a few years ago when the general consensus was that Philippine football would slowly die out because of impotence on the part of the Philippine Football Federation (PFF)? Lack of leadership and direction, corruption and misappropriation of funds under the reign of former PFF president Mari Martinez… even the Azkals weren’t spared; shortly after their arrival from Vietnam, the team released a statement saying “We have not received one centavo of support from the PFF. Not to mention a call or a text during the final rounds of the 2010 Suzuki Cup in Hanoi, Vietnam.”

ndeed, in light of this, the Azkals’ achievement last year was a veritable godsend. And now that Martinez has been sacked for good and new president Mariano Araneta installed into office, I think it’s safe to say that the future of Philippine football can only go up from here.

Let’s call it the Azkal effect

Not many people know that the name “Azkals” was the creation of Internet fans in 2005, similar to how fans in other countries name their favorite clubs and national teams (e.g. The Japanese national team is called “Samurai Blue,” while English club Manchester United is tagged “The Red Devils”). Personally, I am enamored with the name. It’s wonderfully subversive, as well as unabashedly Pinoy. And I love how far removed it is from names that are deemed more respectable. With all elitist pretensions removed, being tagged as a “mongrel” or “street dog” simply means we know how to survive. Never mind the irony of the team’s dynamics — these guys are still our own. And if the culture of a nation is any indicator of the playing style/identity of its football team — for example, the methodical mindset of Germany transposed onto its national team’s very structured and organized play — then I can’t wait to see how the Azkals ease themselves into their role.

In any case, some of the fruits of the Azkal Effect include the Senate waking up to the embarrassing state of the country’s football development programs; serious plans to finally build a football stadium that would meet international standards; the PFF standing to receive around P29.7 million from FIFA (as well as an initial amount of P8 million from SMART telecommunications); and the DepEd considering experimenting on specialized athlete schools to support the national sports program.

Personally, what I’m really excited about is the formation of a working premier football league. Indeed, although football is actually widely played at the school level, very few are motivated to pursue “professional” football after graduation; the one major reason for this being the lack of a national league to participate in. Now I don’t know about you guys, but the idea of having something akin to the UK’s premier league (dream big, right?) thrills me to no end.

Young*Star
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #52
off_side

When it rains, it pours ..

Suzuki backs PFF Under-23 tournament
Cedelf P. Tupas
First Posted 01:32:52 05/03/2011

MANILA—The Philippine Football Federation has found another backer in Japanese automobile maker Suzuki, which is sponsoring the National Men’s Under-23 Championship starting next month.

PFF president Mariano “Nonong” Araneta said Thursday that they have agreed to terms with Suzuki for a sponsorship deal of P3.2 million for the national tournament.

It will mark the first time that the PFF will stage an Under-23 tournament and Araneta said the move is meant to help them come up with the best possible squad for the Southeast Asian Games in Jakarta late this year.

“We hope to get the finest Under-23 talents from this tournament for our SEA Games team,” said Araneta. “We are happy that Suzuki is supporting us in our efforts to improve football.”

Football in the SEA Games is limited to under-23 players.

Suzuki is no stranger to supporting football, having been tapped by the Asean Football Federation as sponsor of the AFF Suzuki Cup the last three years.

The top two from each of the cluster tournaments in the National Capital Region, Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao will advance to the national championship in June. Araneta said they plan to apply the home-and-away format for the finals.

“Although there have been several players based abroad who are being eyed to banner the SEA Games squad, the standouts from the Under-23 tournament will also be given a chance to prove themselves,” said Araneta. “We want the best possible team for the SEA Games.”

http://www.inquirer.net/sports/artic...ournament.html
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #53
off_side

New recruits to boost Azkals
By Joaquin Henson (The Philippine Star) Updated March 07, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Philippine Football Federation (PFF) president Mariano Araneta Jr. and national team manager Dan Palami broke the news during an interview at the Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Awards Night in the Centennial Hall of the Manila Hotel last Saturday. They confirmed that three recruits will reinforce the Azkals in the group stage of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Challenge Cup in Yangon, Myanmar, on March 21, 23 and 25, assuming the Philippines dumps Mongolia in their qualifying series.

The recruits are led by Spanish-born Angel Aldeguer Guirado, a Fil-Spanish striker who has played for the Spanish Division III team Deportivo Ronda in Malaga. He cuts an imposing figure on the pitch because of his 6-2 frame. Guirado, 26, is a first cousin of Caloy Garcia, Rain Or Shine assistant coach in the PBA. His mother Angela Aldeguer is the sister of Garcia’s mother Gloria and father Juan is Spanish. The Garcias trace their roots to Ilagan, Isabela. Guirado has worked out with the Azkals but is not eligible to play in the Azkals’ second leg match against Mongolia in Ulan Bator on March 15 because he’s not in the lineup submitted to the AFC.

“Angel was in Manila five years ago,” said Garcia’s mother Gloria. “He will leave for Spain tomorrow and rejoin the team in Myanmar. It’s a pity he can’t play in Mongolia because his name was not included. The coach (Michael Weiss) is happy with him.”

Guirado, who speaks only Spanish, now has a Philippine passport. In Spain, the mother’s maiden name is used by children to follow the father’s surname so that the Azkals’ latest recruit is known as Angel Guirado-Aldeguer or Angel Guirado y Aldeguer. It’s the same in Cuba where former Philippine boxing coach Raul Fernandez is known as Raul Fernandez-Liranza or Raul Fernandez y Liranza as his mother’s maiden name is Liranza.

Araneta said possible future recruits are the Toronto-born De Guzman brothers, whose father Bobby is Filipino and mother Pauline is Jamaican. Midfielder Jonathan, 23, is now playing for Spanish La Liga club Real Mallorca after a stint in the Dutch league. Older brother Julian, 29, used to play for the Spanish club Deportivo La Coruna and now suits up in the Canadian league. The De Guzmans, however, have indicated no interest to play for the Philippines so far. Julian has played for the Canadian national team. FIFA allows players to switch national teams provided they are able to show legitimate passports.

The two other Azkal recruits are Fil-German Stefan Schrock and Fil-Danish Jerry Lucena. Schrock, 24, plays for the German Division II club Greuther Furth. His mother is Filipina and father, German. Lucena, 30, was born in Esbjerg, Denmark, to a Filipino father and a Danish mother. He plays for the Danish Division I club AGF Aarhus.

Schrock showed up at the PSA Awards Night walking with crutches. He’s in town to apply for his Filipino passport.

Also at the PSA Awards Night were goalkeeper Neil Etheridge’s parents Martin and Merlinda Dula of Concepcion, Tarlac. Etheridge was not permitted to take a leave from his English club Fulham to play in Ulan Bator. His parents are in town for a two-week holiday.

The Philippines will advance to the group stage in Myanmar if it beats Mongolia in their qualifying two-game series on an aggregate goal basis. Awaiting the Philippines-Mongolia winner in Group A are host Myanmar, Bangladesh and Palestine. The top two finishers in Group A will join the top two placers in three other groups to play in the eight-team Challenge Cup finals where the winner qualifies to compete in the AFC Asian Cup.

http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticl...bCategoryId=69
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #54
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Azkals leave for wintry Japan training

MANILA—The Philippine football team leaves for Japan today for the most important stretch of its preparation for Mongolia in the second leg of the AFC Challenge Cup qualifying duel in Ulan Bator.

The Azkals, who earlier went through a high-altitude camp in Baguio City, are set to train in a facility of the Japan Football Association just outside Tokyo in their bid to acclimatize with the wintry conditions in Ulan Bator.

Barely two weeks before the match, Azkals team manager Dan Palami said the team is 80 percent ready for the showdown with the Mongolians, whom the Azkals blanked, 2-0, in the first leg in Bacolod last Feb. 9.

“I think we are 80 percent ready, the 20 percent of course will be the weather factor,” said Palami, who was honored on Saturday as Executive of the Year by the Philippine Sportswriters Association for his remarkable work with the Azkals.

Palami said that under normal conditions, the Azkals can easily beat Mongolia. He stressed that the training in Japan will be important in assessing the team’s chances of progressing to the group qualifying in Myanmar starting March 21.

“We want to check the reaction time and the decision-making of the players and how far the weather will affect the team,” Palami said.

“After we train in Japan, it would be safe to think about Myanmar. It will be difficult to make predictions because I don’t know how the team will react in sub-zero conditions.”

But Palami said the Azkals showed sharp form last week in training at the artificial pitch at the International School Manila

“When we were practicing at the ISM, our shooting and passing rate was as high as 85 percent,” he said.

The team will miss Rob Gier and Chris Greatwich as well as goalkeeper Neil Etheridge for the Mongolia duel.

Despite their absence, skipper Aly Borromeo believes the team has what it takes to beat Mongolia.

“The weather factor will be more important than their absence,” said Borromeo. “There’s no reason we can’t win except for the weather factor.”

Meanwhile, Filipino-German rightback Stephan Schrock arrived in the country Saturday to process his passport. The 24-year-old Schrock is still sidelined by a knee injury that will keep him out for the next five weeks.

inq
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #55
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Pacquiao is also an Azkals fan

MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao has so many secrets – some must remain as secrets, though. But last Saturday, he revealed one.

To the surprise of a huge, animated crowd, Pacquiao admitted that he’s also one of the many who were caught up in the football fever that swept the country the past months following the sucess of the national football team.

His revelation further energized the crowd, especially the enthralled Azkals squad.

“Dati po hindi ako mahilig sa football. Pero ngayon mahilig na ako dahil sa Philippine Azkals,” said Pacquiao during the annual Philippine Sportswriters Association Awards Night at the historic landmark Manila Hotel.

The revelation came as a piece of good news for Philippine Football Federation president Mariano “Nonong” Araneta and members of the Philippine Azkals, who were bestowed with the Presidential Achievement award.

The Azkals sparked a football buzz after their historic semifinal finish in the Suzuki Cup last year.

The eight-division world champion claimed that he was rooting for the Mexican football team before.

But when the Azkals shocked defending Suzuki Cup champion Vietnam, 2-0, his admiration for the Azkals got bigger.

“Dati Mexico ang pinapanood kong team. Ngayon Azkals na,” said Pacquiao who is set to fight Shane Mosley for the Filipino’s World Boxing Organization’s welterweight title on May 7 in Las Vegas.

mb
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #56
johnmizer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 430

when would they televise the next fulham game with neil in them? want to see how britons play it. =)
johnmizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #57
thescene

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmizer View Post
when would they televise the next fulham game with neil in them? want to see how britons play it. =)
Unfortunately Neil is just the 3rd choice GK at Fulham so it would take an injury to the top 2 GKs before he can play.
thescene no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #58
thescene

Likes (Received): 111

It should be interesting to see if the PFF can Jonathan De Guzman. I believe he refused to play for Canada in hopes of playing for the Netherlands.
thescene no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #59
off_side

Phl Azkals hit frosty Japan
By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) Updated March 08, 2011 12:00 AM Comments (4)

MANILA, Philippines - Based on the weather forecast, a snow shower was to greet the Azkals upon their arrival in Gotemba, Japan from Manila last night.

The Azkals left for Tokyo yesterday afternoon and were to travel another 174 kms to get to Gotemba, their training sight for the next few days.

Gotemba is located near the foot of Mount Fuji, and again based on the weather forecast the temperature should be at one degree in the evening.

With snow showers.

The Azkals, however, are all armed to face the big chill, with their thermal clothes provided by their official outfitter, Mizuno.

They will be in Gotemba until the 12th before they head to Ulan Bator in Mongolia for their March 15 match with the hosts.

In Ulan Bator, the weather could be even be colder. And the competition, hotter.

The Azkals beat the Mongolians at the Panaad Stadium in Bacolod, 2-0, last Feb. 9 and should advance to the group stage of the AFC Challenge Cup as long as they don’t lose by three or more goals.

In the group stage, waiting for the Azkals, granting that they move on, are matches against Bangladesh, Myanmar and Palestine on March 21, 23 and 25.

In Yangon, Myanmar, the Azkals could face their toughest test since they were thrown into the limelight following their historic finish in the AFF Suzuki Cup last December.

Team manager Dan Palami said they wanted to go straight to Ulan Bator but were forced out by circumstance.

“We wanted to train in Mongolia immediately. However the Mongolia Football Federation did not allow us access to the pitches earlier,” he told ABS-CBN prior to their departure.

“But in Japan we’ll be playing against two teams. The weather may not be as cold but it’s also ranging from zero to 3 degrees,” he added.

http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticl...bCategoryId=69
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #60
johnmizer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 430

so why does he have to return to fulham if he wont play? from wot Ive heard in ph media is that australian GK wont be able to play because he was called by the AU team. is that true?

would they telecast the friendly between PH and JP?
johnmizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
asia, australia, brazil, china, chinese taipei, fifa, football, futsal, indonesia, iran, iraq, japan, kuwait, kyrgyzstan, lebanon, malaysia, soccer, south korea, sports, tajikistan, thailand, uzbekistan, vietnam