TORONTO - BMO Field (30,991) - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:19 PM   #101
ChesterCopperpot

Likes (Received): 707

Posted by Flint at Urban Toronto

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125329...2/15738418810/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125329...2/15306061553/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125329...2/15739969427/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125329...2/15739968887/

master_klon, EPA001, RMB2007, will101, Lakeland liked this post
ChesterCopperpot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:18 PM   #102
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5090

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot View Post
So according to Dave Naylor at TSN - there has been a lease offer extended to the Argos from MLSE to play at BMO

http://www.tsn.ca/video/grey-cup-ins...e-cfl-1.145992
I realize there're compromises abound with the idea but I think it may present the best option for the near term. The degrees to which either tenants' needs will adversely impact the other seem minor, and even if TFC suffer the larger share it may prove worthwhile if it improves the financial well being of both teams and that of the venue.

Granted, this also assumes the teams will continue to build their rapport with the fans, strive for on-field success, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot View Post
Seems to be moving along quite apace. It will be quite a showcase for the league next season. Hopefully they'll be able to host a playoff game, to boot.
Old December 6th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #103
Cjones2451

Likes (Received): 149

Here is another pic from the SSP forum from a Twitter account.

will101, EPA001, Lakeland liked this post
Cjones2451 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #104
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 23947

Flying up.

@torontofc:

https://twitter.com/torontofc

master_klon, will101, EPA001, Lakeland liked this post
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #105
Cubo99

Likes (Received): 50

very bad ... bad angle...too far away from pitch ...
2400+ WORLD SOCCER STADIUMS, infos and photos in Google Earth !!!! DOWNLOAD HERE http://www.mediafire.com/download/bu...r+Stadiums.kmz or http://www.facebook.com/pages/WorldW...763125?created UPDATED !!!
Cubo99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #106
flashman

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I realize there're compromises abound with the idea but I think it may present the best option for the near term. The degrees to which either tenants' needs will adversely impact the other seem minor, and even if TFC suffer the larger share it may prove worthwhile if it improves the financial well being of both teams and that of the venue.

Granted, this also assumes the teams will continue to build their rapport with the fans, strive for on-field success, etc.

Seems to be moving along quite apace. It will be quite a showcase for the league next season. Hopefully they'll be able to host a playoff game, to boot.
TFC season ticket holders (presently over 17k) would largely disagree. Having endured poor soccer since 2007, the worst part of it on artificial turf, the club is once again in danger of seeing its fan base erode.

They deserve better from the owners. Despite a losing record and never making the playoffs, the team is tremendously well supported, pulling in the second-best average crowds in MLS. TFC makes a healthy profit. That speaks volumes about how soccer is ingrained in today's cosmopolitan Toronto.

Were the club to be managed properly, TFC fans could see close to 30 games at home in a season, factoring in league play, Canadian championship games, CONCACAF Champions League games and playoffs.

Add in games from our men's and women's national teams and international friendlies (more lucrative with added capacity) and it's not beyond possibility to see 35-40 games between April and early November. That would average about five game a month.

Now factor in 10 CFL games, weighted toward the back end of the soccer season. TFC owners MLSE and their blowhard executive Tim Leiweke say they can schedule games to minimize pitch damage. Nonsense. If both TFC and Argos are involved in playoff action, it will mean that the pitch is going to be in rough shape for the most vital games. It probably won't matter to the Argos, but it will be very detrimental to the quality of soccer.

For a team like TFC to attract top talent, it's vitally important to show skillful players that they'll be playing on a top-notch playing surface. Artificial turf is a total turn off. A lumpy, bumpy surface inhibits the skillful passing and possession-oriented style that is essential in today's game. Top players will see that and give Toronto a miss. It's crazy that MLSE would jeopardize the quality of a proven, mone-making product to house a money-losing secondary tenant that will impair the quality of its prime product.

Football fans don't give a fig. They just want the quickest solution to house this endangered species of a sports franchise, one boasting less than 4,000 total season tickets sold this year. There's little likelihood that moving to BMO Field will solve the Argos biggest problem, the massive indifference most of Toronto have toward them, especially young people. Toronto has outgrown the CFL, just like it has outgrown junior hockey.

These sports might well flourish in other places, but decades of weak attendance, no matter how much playing success they enjoyed, says something else about Toronto.
Sings a life of proud endeavour at the best that man can be

master_klon liked this post

Last edited by flashman; December 6th, 2014 at 11:01 PM.
flashman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #107
Cjones2451

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman View Post
T Toronto has outgrown the CFL, just like it has outgrown junior hockey.

These sports might well flourish in other places, but decades of weak attendance, no matter how much playing success they enjoyed, says something else about Toronto.
I am so sick of the BS with Toronto and how they are world class and deserve better and have "outgrown" the CFL.

If that was the case...
1) why do they continue to flock in droves to support a loser like the Leafs, who have not won a Stanley Cup since the league was the original 6. Why would you continue to support a team that hasn't won a championship in 47 years.
2) MLS isn't the English Premier League, why not shun TFC and hope to get a Premier League Team. Its worked to get an NFL team...oh wait forget that.
3)The ratings for the CFL in Southern Ontario are better than for TFC games, so there are CFL fans in Toronto. The bottom line is they are sick of being treated like shit a the Rogers Centre with Tuesday games and 5 weeks on the road. In BMO they would flourish.
4) Houston shares BBVA Compass stadium with a football team, Rugby games etc. granted it is a warmer climate, but using a Desso Grassmaster system, I believe it can work in Toronto.
BMO is not owned by MLSE, it is owned by the City of Toronto and therefore ALL the people of Toronto not just TFC season ticket holders

Zack Fair liked this post
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #108
Cjones2451

Last point I have to add to my comment above....

I bet if you ask most TFC fans they were fans of a team in Europe before they were TFC fans, which means they are fans of soccer and like more than one league and support their home team.
Why can't that be the case in football. Can you not be a fan of the NFL and CFL, yes they have different rules, but are the same basic run, pass, kick game. I have never made the claim the CFL is better, but I am a CFL fan because it is uniquely Canadian, good value for the money and I can relate to the players more and I have a home team to support. Yes over all the NFL has more talent, a ton more money to increase the production value on TV and in the stadiums etc. However, I would argue that if Canada did not have archaic out of date liquor laws and there was tailgating, a lot of those NFL fans would support the CFL and specifically the Argos too
Old December 8th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #109
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubo99 View Post
very bad ... bad angle...too far away from pitch ...
I's a fine angle.
Go FC Dallas

DTID
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #110
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4475

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTexas View Post
I's a fine angle.
Yeah, a pretty ridiculous assertion given that the pitch isn't even visible in the shot.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #111
ChesterCopperpot

So according to this seating chart - there's 906 season tickets left

(East Lower - 187, East Upper - 429, North - 16, West Lower - 8 and West Upper - 266)

N/A, will101, Lakeland, EPA001 liked this post
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #112
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

What are TFC capping season tickets at?
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #113
carnifex2005

Likes (Received): 1853

Here's the virtual seat viewer for the new seats...

http://torontofc.io-media.com/#

will101, Riq-10, Lakeland liked this post
carnifex2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #114
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 14663

So how will the movable seats behind the goal work? Does it just get dismantled for football and how will it affect the turf in the end zones?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #115
ChesterCopperpot

I'm imagining it will be a retractable system that will stack underneath the concourse area - like you would see in gymnasiums or at the ACC like so - http://torontoist.com/2011/04/up_all...canada_centre/

The idea always would be the CFL endzones would be field turf and the seats for soccer would roll out over on top of them when TFC play
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #116
Cjones2451

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
So how will the movable seats behind the goal work? Does it just get dismantled for football and how will it affect the turf in the end zones?
The way I understood it is the bleachers will fold into themselves just like BC Place or the Metrodome used to use when in Baseball mode

As for what the end-zones have, I heard turf because they would be covered more often that not, which would be terrible if the surface was grass
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #117
ChesterCopperpot

And home opener is May 10th - that's gonna be pretty tight
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #118
eric the midget

Likes (Received): 148

The football field will be off-center then?
eric the midget no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #119
Cjones2451

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric the midget View Post
The football field will be off-center then?
No, both ends would retract

that is why the seating is 25K vs 30K in soccer. There is an extra 50 yards of field to fit
Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:43 PM   #120
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 14663

Thanks for the answers guys. If they're aiming for a May 1st 2015 opening might we see the Argonauts move out of Skydome earlier than thought? If BMO is done there's no incentive to stay at Skydome.

Will the additional seats be red or a more neutral colour?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement