LOS ANGELES - Banc of California Stadium (22,000) - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #21
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac1212 View Post
Everybody pay your respects to the LA Sports Arena soon...
My friends and I have smoked many a joint/blunt at the nice little jungle lawn area underneath the walkway to the Figueroa entrance of the stadium.

I never went to any games there but the LA Sports arena will hold a place in my heart for the many raves that I went to there.

Owell. The LA Sports Arena has long served it's purpose. I'm liking the direction of LAFC's overall brand and am really looking forward to the new stadium.

xstratus, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by soup or man; March 10th, 2016 at 03:57 PM.
soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #22
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 884

Is the roof going to be EFTE?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 06:29 PM   #23
pesto

Likes (Received): 4107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
Is the roof going to be EFTE?
Is there going to be a roof?

pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #24
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Is there going to be a roof?
Sorry the overhang that covers the seats, whatever its called

Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #25
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5087

I think Pesto is referring to the fact that there is no final design to consider at this time. Just conceptual suggestions nominated by various parties.

GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #26
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
Sorry the overhang that covers the seats, whatever its called
I think we can expeect that, at least on two sides anyway

Chevy114, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 10th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #27
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I think Pesto is referring to the fact that there is no final design to consider at this time. Just conceptual suggestions nominated by various parties.
Yeah, I was wondering if I had missed something.

As for the awning/overhang I would guess they are looking for something more opaque. Guarding against rain is not a big priority but heat and sun in the eyes could very well be. But no use speculating since the real thing should be coming soon.

Old March 11th, 2016, 03:29 AM   #28
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4452

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_klon View Post
The guy on the left is using virtual reality goggles... basically a more expensive version of what we would see with 3d seat viewers.
Thanks, that's what I was curious about. Not pest's snarky non-answer.

slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 05:55 AM   #29
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Thanks, that's what I was curious about. Not pest's snarky non-answer.
LOL.

I once had a shoot where the techies were so "un-techie" looking that an accounting guy and secretary posed with the screens and pointers. In one, they wanted a female in charge so one of the secretaries was pointing at the screen while the CFO was looking up admiringly at her (btw, the CFO's secretary was pissed since she was passed over for the shot, possibly due to age and looks).

Old March 11th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #30
redspork02

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post

With an array of stadiums and arenas already in place across Los Angeles, officials bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics have turned their focus to temporary facilities that might be needed.

Current plans include an elevated track built over the football field at the Coliseum and a proposal to temporarily convert Figueroa Street into a miles-long promenade for pedestrians and bicyclists.

LA 2024 released more details about the bid in a meeting with reporters at the private committee's offices overlooking Westwood on Thursday.

Even with the Rams planning to build an NFL stadium in Inglewood, track and field would be held at the Coliseum, where there would not be enough room for a 400-meter track in the narrow space between the field and the stands.

Organizers could solve that problem by erecting a raised floor inside the stadium — a platform on columns that would extend outward over the first 13 or so rows of seats.

The structure could be completed in about four months and torn down by the end of September for the remainder of USC's football season.

"Our 60-meter warmup sprint track would be underneath there," Bill Hanway, who is overseeing the bid's technical aspects, said of the elevated floor. "We might be able to do some really cool things like have hydraulic lifts and have athletes rise up from underneath the platform to receive their awards."

The technology was recently used with success at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland.

Beside the Coliseum, a planned soccer stadium for the Los Angeles Football Club would house a temporary pool much like the ones that have been used for the U.S. Olympic trials in Long Beach and Omaha, Neb.

The pool would be placed close to the stands on one sideline, with temporary bleachers constructed on the opposite side, allowing for 20,000 to 25,000 seats.

"The key to offsetting the pool and using half of the existing [stands] and half new is we'll have the crowds right on top of the swimmers," said Hanway, who also serves as head of global sport for AECOM, an engineering and design firm.

With the bid's downtown cluster centered around Staples Center and Exposition Park, the committee is looking for a way to connect the two neighborhoods.

That could be done by shutting off Figueroa Street to automobile traffic for the 17 days of the competition. Food trucks, displays and technology exhibits would line the promenade.

Officials said this part of the plan is still conceptual and has yet to be negotiated with businesses along the street.

Additional temporary venues would be required for archery on Bunker Hill and various events at the Sepulveda Basin Recreation Area. A rowing venue has yet to be confirmed.

Los Angeles is competing against Paris, Rome and Budapest, Hungary, for the 2024 Games. The International Olympic Committee is scheduled to select a host in the summer of 2017.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympi...311-story.html

SUMMER OLYMPICS -
2028 - "FOLLOW THE SUN"
FIFA 2026 - UNITED - CA:MEX:USA
College Football Playoff National Championship - January 9, 2023
Super Bowl LVI - February 6, 2022
2020 Major League Baseball All-Star Game - July 14th, 2020
2020 Major League Soccer All-Star Game - July 29th, 2020

IT'S TIME FOR
DODGER
BASEBALL!!

aquamaroon, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #31
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

^That sounds awful. Heres hoping sanity prevails.

Old March 11th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #32
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
^That sounds awful. Heres hoping sanity prevails.
What sounds awful? Temporary pools are nothing new and neither are artificial fields for track and field ("athletics").

Old March 13th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #33
RobH

Likes (Received): 16968

A similar set up was used in Kazan for the World Championships and I believe it worked just fine.

Of course, if I were an IOC member whose sport was swimming I may prefer to vote for a city offering a permanent venue and permanent legacy. But that's by the by and off-topic for this thread. Fact is, temporary pools can work.

RobH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 05:57 PM   #34
Sportsfan

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
A similar set up was used in Kazan for the World Championships and I believe it worked just fine.

Of course, if I were an IOC member whose sport was swimming I may prefer to vote for a city offering a permanent venue and permanent legacy. But that's by the by and off-topic for this thread. Fact is, temporary pools can work.
I agree, but if any IOC member whose sport was swimming should know, Aquatics is a fairly entrenched sport in all four bidding countries, so legacy should be far down the list of priorities when it comes to looking at which city to vote for. If any IOC member was serious when Agenda 2020 was supported unanimously less than two years ago, then temporary venues like the one proposed by LA should be viewed as efficient and cost-effective. LA shouldn't be punished for deciding not to build a massive and expensive Olympic-sized permanent indoor aquatic facility, when it is more than acceptable to utilise temporary facilities for a fraction of the price.

Sportsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #35
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post
I agree, but if any IOC member whose sport was swimming should know, Aquatics is a fairly entrenched sport in all four bidding countries, so legacy should be far down the list of priorities when it comes to looking at which city to vote for. If any IOC member was serious when Agenda 2020 was supported unanimously less than two years ago, then temporary venues like the one proposed by LA should be viewed as efficient and cost-effective. LA shouldn't be punished for deciding not to build a massive and expensive Olympic-sized permanent indoor aquatic facility, when it is more than acceptable to utilise temporary facilities for a fraction of the price.
Sounds like an issue that most of the world is going through these days: palaces vs. pop-ups. Retail, public events, parties, entertainment, etc., are all going flexible and temporary where a few years back they would have gone monolithic and permanent.

Old March 16th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #36
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4452

"...the Los Angeles Football Club's so-far unnamed team."

slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #37
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
"...the Los Angeles Football Club's so-far unnamed team."

How about "The Team Formerly Known as Goats"?

Old March 16th, 2016, 11:59 PM   #38
CDReed

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post

"Permanent legacies" have involved empty stadiums growing weeds in Athens and Beijing. L.A. will mostly use existing facilities - many of which are actually legacies of the 1932 and 1984 games.
And I love the idea of beach volleyball not only actually being played on a beach, but on the beach where the sport was born.

CDReed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 07:05 AM   #39
will101

Likes (Received): 2837

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDReed View Post
And I love the idea of beach volleyball not only actually being played on a beach, but on the beach where the sport was born.
That makes no sense. Honolulu is not bidding on the games.

will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 07:30 AM   #40
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
That makes no sense. Honolulu is not bidding on the games.
Oh no, not this again. Hopefully this dies a quick death.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
los angeles, usa