LOS ANGELES - Banc of California Stadium (22,000) - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #61
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 183

It's great and a great place for the franchise. It's far enough away from Carson to build its own fanbase of people who don't go to Galaxy games. I'm really excited to go to a game at the LAFC Stadium.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Archbishop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #62
pesto

Likes (Received): 4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
It's great and a great place for the franchise. It's far enough away from Carson to build its own fanbase of people who don't go to Galaxy games. I'm really excited to go to a game at the LAFC Stadium.
Not sure Galaxy ever had a "Carson" fan base, but for sure they are going after the Latino fans since the demise of Chivas left many without a side to support (every one of my LA relatives was a Chivas fan).

Their big concern is LAFC moving into a potential soccer stronghold: the booming hipster 'hoods of DT, NE LA, Koreatown, Silver Lake, Culver City, etc. For this reason their PR people have focused on the DT crowd with planted articles about Beckham and Robbie Keane and their connections to DT.

To help secure these people, some believe that Galaxy will seek a site near DT that is easily transit accessible. This is bolstered by AEG's investment in DT and influence in LA politics.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by pesto; May 10th, 2016 at 01:21 AM.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:15 AM   #63
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 964

Most of my friends who are Galaxy fans are all excited about this because it means going to games just became an ease instead of an all day chore.

Chevy114 liked this post
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #64
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4445

http://www.lacoliseum.com/index.php/...-sports-arena/

Chevy114, Benn, will101 liked this post
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #65
slipperydog

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7045170&type=3

Last edited by slipperydog; May 13th, 2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old May 13th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #66
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 964

Thank you and goodbye
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #67
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 914

I'll miss this place for the people I met while raving at Together As One. But it's time for it go.
Old May 17th, 2016, 09:26 PM   #68
pesto

Things are slow, so some background on why I’m critical of LAFC stadium.

LAFC managing partner Henry Nguyen said: “LAFC’s promise is to unite the world’s city through the world’s game.” The video released with the new logo said that the team will stand for the history, the culture and the ambition of the world’s city and praised the roots that diverse cultures have laid down in LA. Big talk.

The designer of the LAFC logo said: “The wordmark (“LAFC”) is set in Neutraface, an elegant and versatile Art Deco-inspired typeface based on the signage of architect Richard Neutra [one of the leading modernist architects, who worked heavily in LA]. This typeface is a nod to downtown Los Angeles’ rich collection of Art Deco buildings dating back to city expansion in the 1920s. At the heart of the crest is a wing, paying homage to the City of Angels and the city’s Aztec and Mexican heritage.” To underline these points, the announcement of logo and colors was made at Union Station, an LA icon in a deco/mission style.

Deco and Neutra are strongly associated with Hollywood and the 1930’s. Elegance; sophistication; a personal code of values and commitments; old school. Mexican heritage means mission style, often with boldly colorful, exotic, Aztec or Mayan imagery, pyramids, eagles and serpents, passionate and dramatic elements.

By contrast, the stadium in the recent renderings is contemporary off-the-shelf bland; not deco; not Neutra; not Mexican; not distinctive; not LA. It doesn’t live up even to their own standards and is not in the same league as a dozen other current LA projects (Inglewood, the Broad, 6th St. Bridge, Wilshire Grand, three Gehry projects, LACMA, Motion Picture Museum, Emerson College, etc.).

For that matter, I’m guessing the new DT Apple store (in the deco/mission Tower Theater) blows it out of the water. For all of LAFC’s talk of “pride of place” I see little pride and no place I can recognize at all.
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:07 AM   #69
MrStools

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Things are slow, so some background on why I’m critical of LAFC stadium.

LAFC managing partner Henry Nguyen said: “LAFC’s promise is to unite the world’s city through the world’s game.” The video released with the new logo said that the team will stand for the history, the culture and the ambition of the world’s city and praised the roots that diverse cultures have laid down in LA. Big talk.

The designer of the LAFC logo said: “The wordmark (“LAFC”) is set in Neutraface, an elegant and versatile Art Deco-inspired typeface based on the signage of architect Richard Neutra [one of the leading modernist architects, who worked heavily in LA]. This typeface is a nod to downtown Los Angeles’ rich collection of Art Deco buildings dating back to city expansion in the 1920s. At the heart of the crest is a wing, paying homage to the City of Angels and the city’s Aztec and Mexican heritage.” To underline these points, the announcement of logo and colors was made at Union Station, an LA icon in a deco/mission style.

Deco and Neutra are strongly associated with Hollywood and the 1930’s. Elegance; sophistication; a personal code of values and commitments; old school. Mexican heritage means mission style, often with boldly colorful, exotic, Aztec or Mayan imagery, pyramids, eagles and serpents, passionate and dramatic elements.

By contrast, the stadium in the recent renderings is contemporary off-the-shelf bland; not deco; not Neutra; not Mexican; not distinctive; not LA. It doesn’t live up even to their own standards and is not in the same league as a dozen other current LA projects (Inglewood, the Broad, 6th St. Bridge, Wilshire Grand, three Gehry projects, LACMA, Motion Picture Museum, Emerson College, etc.).

For that matter, I’m guessing the new DT Apple store (in the deco/mission Tower Theater) blows it out of the water. For all of LAFC’s talk of “pride of place” I see little pride and no place I can recognize at all.
I think that the design is good, not great, and I don't entirely disagree with you. However, I think that there's a few things to keep in mind:

1) The stadium is entirely privately financed and it's a big deal that LA is getting a Sporting KC equivalent and not a DC United or a San Jose equivalent. There's definitely still tiers of quality for new MLS stadiums and LAFC will be towards the top (probably the top in terms of actual $ figures).

2) I really like art deco design, but while I'd like for LAFC to plop a California-inspired version of Highbury in Exposition Park, you have to remember that today's architects aren't trained in art deco, they're trained in the designs of the current era. While it would be nice if they could incorporate a few art deco elements, they don't always blend well with modern architecture.

3) American stadium design in general is extremely bland (coming from an American). What was the last truly forward-thinking piece of stadium architecture in this country? The new Inglewood stadium is interesting, but not *that* forward-thinking (the seating bowl is basically the same as AT&T stadium and the exterior is elegant but not revolutionary). The Barclays Center uses unusual materials for its exterior, but it's been panned by a lot of people for its design. The new Falcons stadium set out to be revolutionary but had most of its best features value-engineered into mediocrity.

I'd say that the LAFC stadium will at least be respectful of its context (the views of Downtown LA and the Coliseum peristyle should be cool) and it'll be a good place to watch a game. That's better than many new American stadiums and it's better than what's being planned for the stadium next door (the Coliseum renovation).
MrStools no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #70
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5086

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStools View Post
2) I really like art deco design, but while I'd like for LAFC to plop a California-inspired version of Highbury in Exposition Park, you have to remember that today's architects aren't trained in art deco, they're trained in the designs of the current era. While it would be nice if they could incorporate a few art deco elements, they don't always blend well with modern architecture.

3) American stadium design in general is extremely bland (coming from an American)... The new Falcons stadium set out to be revolutionary but had most of its best features value-engineered into mediocrity.
I think building on these points it's entirely possible to still retain Art Deco elements throughout the structure in details and views we can't see from simply 2-3 images. There are certainly opportunities for this under the roof, throughout concession areas, etc. Yet more likely there is the very real aspect of costs determining the extent to which the architect was permitted to employ more fanciful/detailed design versus regressing to value engineering.

Which is a long winded way of saying the idea may have been there and may yet remain in parts, but ultimately the owner and his/her purse dictates the final inspiration, so it stands to reason if something truly representative of Art Deco was considered too expensive.

Last edited by GunnerJacket; May 18th, 2016 at 09:10 PM.
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #71
pesto

All reasonable comments. And I’m hopeful that there may be some detailing or areas facing the Coliseum that will include some reference to place.

I’m not fixated on deco, LA is full of Neutra, Lautner, Schindler, Koenig and other high modernist and more recent place-specific work from top architects. FL Wright has several; Gehry; Mayne, Soriano, etc. You could even go bold and incorporate some Aztec/Mayan elements (see Wright’s Ennis House).

Meanwhile, Diller just finished The Broad to rave reviews; Inglewood has received favorable comments. Meier, Zumthor, Gehry, Mayne and Stern have active projects. But LAFC has decided not to even draw a line in the sand. They do promise ANOTHER soccer museum, however.
Old May 26th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #72
urban_encounter

Likes (Received): 13

I'm not really a big fan of the MLS adding yet another team to the L.A. market especially given the disaster of Chivas. But as stadium proposals go, it's really sharp looking stadium project.

Chevy114 liked this post
urban_encounter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #73
Mr_Illusive

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I'm not really a big fan of the MLS adding yet another team to the L.A. market especially given the disaster of Chivas. But as stadium proposals go, it's really sharp looking stadium project.
Chivas USA would have likely failed anywhere though. It was just not a good idea. LAFC will be far more successful, especially since they're getting their own stadium and are branded towards LA.

N/A liked this post
Mr_Illusive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 02:43 AM   #74
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I agree, get rid of Galaxy. Cos LAFC will blow them out of the water. This will be the first real LA MLS team.
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #75
slipperydog

Carson Galaxy are MLS 1.0 in virtually every sense. There are lots of local soccer fans who didn't jump on that bandwagon way back when simply because they were the only game in town, and we have been justly rewarded for our patience. Will we lose some games in the beginning? Sure. But in the long run, LAFC will be where you want to be.

Also, we are not Man City or PSG or Barca lite. Thank goodness.

N/A liked this post
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:06 PM   #76
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5086

Say what we want about LAG being a bit too Hollywod or Carson being inconvenient but they've been as responsible as any team for pushing MLS forward. Their stadium took the bare bones concept of Columbus' ground and suggested MLS could do even better, and they've done well to give the league as star-studded a brand for marketing (both locally and globally) as we could hope in this humble league. Certainly a far sight better than anything we've seen in NY, and LAFC wouldn't be here today if not for the LAG proving the market's potential.

Wanna hate them in a sporting villain sense, have at it. Implying they're now akin to dead weight, however, is way off the mark.
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #77
slipperydog

Old May 28th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #78
slipperydog

Circle June 20 on your calendars for demolition of the Sports Arena!
Old May 29th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #79
ielag

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Say what we want about LAG being a bit too Hollywod or Carson being inconvenient but they've been as responsible as any team for pushing MLS forward. Their stadium took the bare bones concept of Columbus' ground and suggested MLS could do even better, and they've done well to give the league as star-studded a brand for marketing (both locally and globally) as we could hope in this humble league. Certainly a far sight better than anything we've seen in NY, and LAFC wouldn't be here today if not for the LAG proving the market's potential.

Wanna hate them in a sporting villain sense, have at it. Implying they're now akin to dead weight, however, is way off the mark.
And the league wouldn't even exist without the Galaxy's owner.

I laugh at LAFC building a 22K stadium and claiming this will be the first true LA club. If the Galaxy built a stadium at that SA site today, probably looking at a 35K capacity stadium (Galaxy have sold out 5 of their 6 home games so far this season). The dos Santos signing will rank right there with the Beckham signing for importance. It's allowed the Galaxy to draw a lot more fans who were strictly LigaMX supporters.

Regardless, the competition will be good for both clubs.
ielag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:34 PM   #80
will101

Likes (Received): 2825

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Circle June 20 on your calendars for demolition of the Sports Arena!
Will it be on TV? I can't make it down to LA then. Otherwise I'd love to come watch.

slipperydog liked this post
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
los angeles, usa