LANDOVER - FedEx Field (81,807) - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #21
Big Texan

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Not true in DC...There is interest in a new stadium there but not because of Dallas.
Deep down in side, we all know the Redskins only want a new stadium because of the Cowboys. They might not say it on the outside, but they say it on the inside.
Big Texan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #22
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texan View Post
Deep down in side, we all know the Redskins only want a new stadium because of the Cowboys. They might not say it on the outside, but they say it on the inside.
theres been talk about the redskins building a new stadium for years, long before the Cowboys started planning this one. Will it be designed to be bigger and better than JerryWorld?...of course-but it wont be built because of JerryWorld.
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #23
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Why would the Redskins need a new stadium though? FedEx Field is just 10 years old!

Quote:
The only reason the Giants and Jets are building a new stadium is because the Cowboys are building there next stadium and the Giants didn't want to be the ones in the NFC East with the old stadium. The Same thing is happening in Washington DC because the Redskins want a better stadium then the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants.
The world doesn't revolved around the Cowboys. Teams want new stadiums because they want to make more money.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Last edited by Kampflamm; July 25th, 2008 at 03:05 PM.
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #24
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Have they found Jimmy Hoffa?

Why would the Redskins need a new stadium though? FedEx Field is just 10 years old!

The world doesn't revolved around the Cowboys. Teams want new stadiums because they want to make more money.
Because FedEx Field sucks the big one.
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #25
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Because FedEx Field sucks the big one.
They built it. No one forced them too. They should deal with it. The only team that DC should have helped out with a stadium deal is DC United. No one else.
nyrmetros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #26
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
They built it. No one forced them too. They should deal with it. The only team that DC should have helped out with a stadium deal is DC United. No one else.
no, FedEx was very forced. It was built outside of the District by Jack Kent Cooke to piss off the DC government and was very poorly designed. If the DC gov and the Redskins can work out a deal then they should get a new place to play. I can only assume that you have never been there as you dont know what your talking about.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #27
nyrmetros

Quote:
no, FedEx was very forced. It was built outside of the District by Jack Kent Cooke to piss off the DC government and was very poorly designed. If the DC gov and the Redskins can work out a deal then they should get a new place to play. I can only assume that you have never been there as you dont know what your talking about.
So how was that forced then? Jack owned the team, and built the stadium. No one put a gun to his head. You are right. I have not been to Jack Kent Cooke Stadium. I have been to the old Capital Centre and RFK Stadium many times. But NO stadium should ever be obsolete in 10 years and no team should ever be talking about getting a new stadium after just getting one 10 years ago. Barring and structural saftey problems of course, of which I haven't read any.
Old July 25th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #28
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
So how was that forced then? Jack owned the team, and built the stadium. No one put a gun to his head. You are right. I have not been to Jack Kent Cooke Stadium. I have been to the old Capital Centre and RFK Stadium many times. But NO stadium should ever be obsolete in 10 years and no team should ever be talking about getting a new stadium after just getting one 10 years ago. Barring and structural saftey problems of course, of which I haven't read any.
The gun to his head was his age. Jack wanted the stadium built befre he died so it was built very quickly. It was to be the memorial to his legacy. Unfortunately in his rush a poor stadium design and built poorly. I dont understand why this is such a big deal. If they want a new one, then they get a new one.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #29
nyrmetros

Quote:
The gun to his head was his age. Jack wanted the stadium built befre he died so it was built very quickly. It was to be the memorial to his legacy. Unfortunately in his rush a poor stadium design and built poorly. I dont understand why this is such a big deal. If they want a new one, then they get a new one.
Because there is no reason the city of DC should have to pay for it . I don't see any sympathy for the team on this one.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #30
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Because there is no reason the city of DC should have to pay for it . I don't see any sympathy for the team on this one.
Who said DC is going to HAVE to pay for it. Sure it would be nice, but a privately financed stadium is possible here.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #31
miguelon

Likes (Received): 627

the sidelines for american football are really good, but i think i doesnt even fit a football ground, is it??, i know it was not ment to be a football stadium, but it takes away the posibility for some extra revenue, and a possible world cup host for Washington.
miguelon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #32
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelon View Post
the sidelines for american football are really good, but i think i doesnt even fit a football ground, is it??, i know it was not ment to be a football stadium, but it takes away the posibility for some extra revenue, and a possible world cup host for Washington.
Yes, it can host WC games
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #33
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

I have to say I love that in the US a 90,000 stadium gets slammed and there is talk of a new stadium for that team when the stadium is only 11 years old surely there be some minor work that could be done to improve it? Wouldn't the state be a bit pd off about having to pay towards a new stadium especially considering that they have already had to pay towards a new ballpark and also seeing as this is a very young stadium?
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #34
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
I have to say I love that in the US a 90,000 stadium gets slammed and there is talk of a new stadium for that team when the stadium is only 11 years old surely there be some minor work that could be done to improve it? Wouldn't the state be a bit pd off about having to pay towards a new stadium especially considering that they have already had to pay towards a new ballpark and also seeing as this is a very young stadium?
FedEx Field is a soulless monster. Its in a horrible location (which drives up parking costs) and has absolutely no atmosphere. Another thing most people dont realize is that FedEx was built as a 78k seater, not a 91k seater. The extra seats were squeezed in where ever possible. Everything seems forced or squeezed. The lower bowl has thousands of seats with their views blocked by columns. Its just not acceptable anymore. The new stadium could be privately financed, its the third richest team in the world, and our owner Dan Snyder isnt short on cash. Sometimes a team knows when they need a new stadium. Tropicana Field is in the process of being replaced and its not that old. Sure it was built in 1990 but since it began hosting baseball in 1998 it has almost doubled its construction cost in improvements.

What people outside of DC fail to understand is that before playing in the massive and open FedEx Field the Redskins played in tiny RFK Stadium. That place was loud, it had atmosphere. Its been referred to as the Boston Garden of football stadiums. People want something that wasnt forced or rushed. They want something that is built for the fans, something with a little personality. No amount of money spent or improvements on FedEx can do this.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #35
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
FedEx Field is a soulless monster. Its in a horrible location (which drives up parking costs) and has absolutely no atmosphere. Another thing most people dont realize is that FedEx was built as a 78k seater, not a 91k seater. The extra seats were squeezed in where ever possible. Everything seems forced or squeezed. The lower bowl has thousands of seats with their views blocked by columns. Its just not acceptable anymore. The new stadium could be privately financed, its the third richest team in the world, and our owner Dan Snyder isnt short on cash. Sometimes a team knows when they need a new stadium. Tropicana Field is in the process of being replaced and its not that old. Sure it was built in 1990 but since it began hosting baseball in 1998 it has almost doubled its construction cost in improvements.

What people outside of DC fail to understand is that before playing in the massive and open FedEx Field the Redskins played in tiny RFK Stadium. That place was loud, it had atmosphere. Its been referred to as the Boston Garden of football stadiums. People want something that wasnt forced or rushed. They want something that is built for the fans, something with a little personality. No amount of money spent or improvements on FedEx can do this.
I see your point a stadium is nothing without its fans and if a stadium doesn't cater to the fans needs then clearly it isn't up to it. It still amazes me that such a large stadium could be disgarded so quickly after being built regardless of its faults. Do you reckon there will be announcment of a new stadium project soon then? I have to say this stadium sounds like a worse version of Old Trafford
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #36
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
I see your point a stadium is nothing without its fans and if a stadium doesn't cater to the fans needs then clearly it isn't up to it. It still amazes me that such a large stadium could be disgarded so quickly after being built regardless of its faults. Do you reckon there will be announcment of a new stadium project soon then? I have to say this stadium sounds like a worse version of Old Trafford
I have no idea if there will be anything announced soon. All talk about a new stadium has just been speculation. There has never been any official word of one. The thing is, our owner (Dan Snyder) is so unpredictable that tomorrow he could announce that a deal has been is the works for months and construction will start in a week. Of course im just exaggerating but you get my point.
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #37
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2973

Planned as a 78k?
Do you have plans or renderings and pics when it was opened?

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (2): 2009, 2018

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (2): 2017, 2018
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #38
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Planned as a 78k?
Do you have plans or renderings and pics when it was opened?
no renderings...it didnt look any different when it opened than it does now because the extra seats were crammed in all around the structure.
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #39
nyrmetros

Quote:
Who said DC is going to HAVE to pay for it. Sure it would be nice, but a privately financed stadium is possible here.
The Skins are not going to want to pay for the stadium themself when the DC council gave the Montreal Expos a free stadium.
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #40
nyrmetros

Quote:
no renderings...it didnt look any different when it opened than it does now because the extra seats were crammed in all around the structure.
Are there pics of the inside the stadium before and after all those seats were crammed in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement