LONDON - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium / New White Hart Lane (62,214) - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which design do you prefer?
The KSS design 81 16.23%
The Populous design 418 83.77%
Voters: 499. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM   #41
JimB

Likes (Received): 7500

The following was posted on a Spurs message board today, though I can't vouch for its accuracy:

Stadium agreed. New one to the north of WHL where they've been buying land. No need to find temporary home. Full details to be announced Sept. Don't ask me why. Existing Paxton stand area will form part of new stadium so capacity will go down whilst new one being built. New one is the bollocks, looks like a spaceship. 50000 capacity but can be tweaked easily to go up to 60000 in the future.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #42

Jesus tap f***ing dancing christ, can't wait until we announce the plans and the transfer window is over, ITKs do my swede.
2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #43
Karve

Likes (Received): 46

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1779
Karve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #44
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2974

looks like this can be true
just with smaller 3rd tier at the corners like da luz or emirates
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9296/28714225sc5.jpg

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (2): 2009, 2018

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (2): 2017, 2018
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #45
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
looks like this can be true
just with smaller 3rd tier at the corners like da luz or emirates
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9296/28714225sc5.jpg
That's actually the wrong location, sercan. If recent rumours are to be believed, the new site would be to the north of Paxton Road and the current ground (to the left of your image) - Wingate Trading Estate, some of which is already owned by Spurs.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?title=...031:-0.0676:16

I also suspect that the Daily Mail article was lifted off a Spurs message board (the lazy British press do that quite a lot!), so I wouldn't take it as gospel.
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #46
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

i just thought as stadium design
in the article they say its like Emirates
WHich mean to me its like da Luz
so it has got a 3rd wave tier ad maybe a smalll 2nd business tier

Old May 6th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #47
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
i just thought as stadium design
in the article they say its like Emirates
WHich mean to me its like da Luz
so it has got a 3rd wave tier ad maybe a smalll 2nd business tier
I suspect that you're giving the source of these rumours too much credit. Whoever has been feeding the press (assuming that the press aren't just making things up as they go along - quite possible!) probably just looked at plans for a bowl shaped stadium and therefore likened it to Emirates. I very much doubt that Spurs' new stadium will have a wavy top tier.

But it probably will have a middle corporate tier.

eog liked this post
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #48
JimB

From Tottenham's official site:

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news...ate060508.html

In the Club's 2007/08 interim financial statement we indicated that we would report on the outcome of our appraisals and our preferred option in respect of an increased capacity stadium by the end of June. However, following the latest appraisal, it will now not be possible to make an announcement within that time frame.

Chairman, Daniel Levy, said, “The difficulties with seeking a solution to our need for increased capacity are significant, they include low residual land values within the Tottenham area which in turn makes enabling development less feasible, along with a limited number of suitable alternative sites within London, all of which require land assembly.

“I am determined that we shall work towards a successful outcome and a project of this nature and importance cannot be hurried.

“On a point of clarity, we have taken no decision on whether or not to expand White Hart Lane and we continue to review and keep our options open.

“I appreciate that supporters are keen for news on the future of the stadium and felt that it was important to provide an update.

“I shall, of course, keep you fully appraised of any developments in the coming months.”

I don't really know what to think of that.

Could be that all the rumours were wrong and that Spurs had never come to any decision.

Could be that Spurs have gone back to the drawing board because of the credit crunch.

Or it just could be that, as the rumour further up this page predicted, Spurs will not be ready to announce stadium plans until September.

Patience is a virtue....but it's wearing very thin!
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #49
Nitro
The Don

Likes (Received): 3

From my understanding the West Stand will be extended right up until Bill Nicholson Way, enabling a 3 tier stand to be built. Therefore the CarPark will no longer be on that side of the ground. The East Stand has no residential buildings behind it, Haringey Council have granted permission to also make this a 3 tier stand, with car parking behind. the north and south satnds will remain the same....the max capacity wud be 55,000 not 60,000.

The council have also given the thumbs up for the victoria line extention, there already exists an unused train line.

The only thing which is holding this project back is the money for it, and whether its is worth re-developing when they can built a 60,000-70,000 stadium in the leafy suburbs, or at tottenham marshes.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #50
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5087

If I didn't know better I'd think Spurs were trying to unseat Liverpool in the stadium soap opera department! Then there's always Everton, Newcastle, Portsmouth...
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #51
Nitro
The Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
If I didn't know better I'd think Spurs were trying to unseat Liverpool in the stadium soap opera department! Then there's always Everton, Newcastle, Portsmouth...
lol. seems some of us have short memories, lets not forget how long it took for you guys to leave Highbury.....although the residents around ur old stadium still havent noticed u have left since its as 'loud' come 3pm on a Saturday than it was 3 seasons ago.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
From my understanding the West Stand will be extended right up until Bill Nicholson Way, enabling a 3 tier stand to be built. Therefore the CarPark will no longer be on that side of the ground. The East Stand has no residential buildings behind it, Haringey Council have granted permission to also make this a 3 tier stand, with car parking behind. the north and south satnds will remain the same....the max capacity wud be 55,000 not 60,000.

The council have also given the thumbs up for the victoria line extention, there already exists an unused train line.

The only thing which is holding this project back is the money for it, and whether its is worth re-developing when they can built a 60,000-70,000 stadium in the leafy suburbs, or at tottenham marshes.
Is this based upon rumour you've read or have you been told this?
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #53
Nitro
The Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 View Post
Is this based upon rumour you've read or have you been told this?
well its a quasi-official rumour.....i have correspodence with some people in Haringey Council's planning department, if i speak to them in the next few days i mite ask, im not sure if they are allowed to give me the details, but if im not mistaken a project of this stature is likely to impact upon the local area, so i mite have grounds to check the plans.

theres an article on the Telegraph online today about the stadium. To be honest i dont think its that likely Spurs will stay at WHL, that proposal i mentioned has been available for sometime. I cant blame Haringey for once, since they are aware how important it is to keep Spurs in the borough, they have been very good to Tottenham and have approved whatever has been put on the table. Its Levy that is looking for the cheapest option...he dont give a f**k if we leave, money talks.
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #54
JimB

Quote:
Its Levy that is looking for the cheapest option...he dont give a f**k if we leave, money talks.
When we're talking about figures like £300 million, I should bloody well hope that Levy is shopping around for the best possible deal for Tottenham!

Let's not do a Leeds, eh?
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #55
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5087

Quote:
lol. seems some of us have short memories, lets not forget how long it took for you guys to leave Highbury.....although the residents around ur old stadium still havent noticed u have left since its as 'loud' come 3pm on a Saturday than it was 3 seasons ago.
Hey, just trying to add some levity. And believe me, I'm glad my club's soap opera with that effort is all but done. Cheers.
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #56

Quote:
Reading through the thread again I couldn't help but remember reading something from a blog about 6 years ago. Some bloke said his father knew the stadium manager quite well. They got shown plans of the new East Stand, to make WHL 44,000 then they got shown plans for a new West Stand that coincide with what you've said, my guess is these plans are long gone but we'll find out sooner or later, preferably sooner!

Nitro, could you, by any chance, pleas ask your buddies at Haringey council if they still have pics of the old plans for the East Stand? I've never seen em in my life though always wanted to.

Last edited by 2005; May 8th, 2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #57
JimB

You can change the thread title now!

It should read: LONDON - New White Hart Lane (60,000).

Yes, Ladies and Gents, Spurs have finally announced their stadium plans:

Tottenham Hotspur confirms Northumberland Development Project

• A world-class scheme incorporating a new stadium with a capacity of 60,000, a Club museum, new shops, new homes, a new base for the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation and important new public space
• Delivered on the current site and adjacent land, ending concerns about a move out of the Borough
• No need for a temporary move during construction
• Significant local benefits and a huge boost to the area
• Potential catalyst for wider regeneration and further investment
• First public exhibition to open from 14 November - 18 November

The Club is delighted to announce that, having concluded an extensive review of suitable sites and viable alternatives, its preferred stadium option is to remain at the Club's spiritual home in Tottenham - the option known to be the fans' favourite.

The existing 36,000 capacity stadium has remained unchanged for over a decade and the club is currently in the position of having 70,000 registered club members and a waiting list for season tickets of around 22,000 people.

The Club is preparing plans for a world class scheme incorporating a new stadium, Club museum, shops and homes, new facilities for the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation and important public space. The plans will enable the team to remain at the current site throughout construction.

Daniel Levy, Chairman of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club said:

"The Northumberland Development Project would deliver a world class scheme and substantial new investment for Haringey and our supporters. It represents a significant step in the growth of the Club, with a proposed stadium capacity of 60,000 and would provide state-of-the-art facilities, important public space, new jobs and homes and a significant boost for the local economy.

"It would also enable us to provide a new base for the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation so that its award winning programmes can continue and have an even greater impact in the local community.

"Tottenham Hotspur is proud of its roots in Haringey. We have been in the Borough for 126 years and the Club is inextricably linked with this part of London. We believe that this scheme has the potential to create a truly inspirational environment for the Club and the community as well as acting as the catalyst for the uplift of the wider area.

"We are at an early stage of what is part of our long term plans for the Club and now we want the views of local people and our fans. I hope people will take the time to look at our plans and let us have their comments."

Councillor George Meehan, Leader of Haringey Council, said:

"I am delighted that Tottenham Hotspur has confirmed its commitment to remain in our borough.

"We have always regarded Spurs as one of Haringey's prime assets. They bring major economic benefits to our borough and carry out some excellent community work through the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation.

"But more than anything, Spurs has played an integral role in giving a sense of identity to the area it calls home. Tottenham would not be Tottenham without its football club.

"We have been working extremely hard to regenerate the Tottenham area, which suffered so much from industrial decline. Real progress is being made, and it is extremely pleasing that Spurs has demonstrated that they share our commitment to this continuing regeneration.

"But, as always, we will consider very carefully any plans that are submitted to us, as we strive to ensure that a new stadium delivers real benefits for all who live and work in the area."

The plans, which will be unveiled at the first public exhibition later this month, cover an area of around 20 acres including the site of the current ground and the adjacent industrial estate. The new stadium would be sited largely to the North of the existing one.

In policy terms, the area is within the 'Tottenham High Road Regeneration Corridor' and identified in the Haringey Unitary Development Plan (UDP) as a "major site for potential redevelopment" to act as a "catalyst for prime regeneration".

The transport infrastructure around the stadium is already in place, with 4 stations (White Hart Lane, Northumberland Park, Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale) and over 100 buses an hour serving the stadium area. Together these deliver a total capacity in excess of 90,000 passengers an hour.

The recent introduction of a match-day Controlled Parking Zone together with improved dedicated match-day services and a public information campaign to supporters, means that just over a third of people now come by car with the majority using public transport.

The Club will now undertake a thorough consultation programme with the local community and will also continue to consult with supporters. A first public exhibition is being organised to present the Club's vision for the area with the public invited to make comment on the plans. These comments will be considered and more detailed information will then be presented at a second exhibition before a planning application is submitted to Haringey Council.

The exhibition will take place in the Bill Nicholson Suite at the stadium during the following times:

- Friday 14 November, 10am - 5pm
- Saturday 15 November, 10am - 5pm
- Sunday 16 November, 10am - 5pm
- Monday 17 November, 12pm - 8pm
- Tuesday 18 November, 10am - 5pm

As always we shall look to keep you, our supporters, along with the local community of Haringey, as informed and up-to-date as possible.

On Friday 14 November, the Club will launch a special section of the website dedicated to our future plans. Please visit it at www.tottenhamhotspur.com/futureplans to see the emerging plans and to let us have your comments

Whilst we are at the beginning of a long process, should we receive the necessary planning permissions, preference will be given to existing season ticket holders and corporate customers to retain their status in a new stadium. Priority for any new season tickets will go to our One Hotspur Bronze members, who make up our season ticket waiting list. Any current season ticket holders who are interested in obtaining additional tickets for friends and/or family members in a new stadium will therefore need to ensure those individuals are signed up to the One Hotspur Bronze membership scheme.
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #58
JimB

A bit more info from the Chairman's statement in the annual report:

With a waiting list for season tickets of over 22,000 and Club membership levels of over 70,000, our need for an increased capacity stadium has been clear for all to see for some time. We diligently spent considerable time reviewing our options and the news that our supporters had been waiting for came this month when we announced our intention to remain in Tottenham, confirming the Northumberland Development Project – a world class scheme incorporating a new stadium with a capacity of 60,000, a club museum, new shops, restaurants, homes and important public space.

Having reviewed our stadium options it was clear that there were a limited number of alternative sites to our current location and following discussions with Council bodies, the LDA, Transport for London and local and central government officials, redeveloping the existing site emerged as the most viable route.

We have spent 5 years buying and taking options over property around the current stadium site to enable us to either develop locally or to gain the critical mass to achieve a substantial site sale as a contribution to a relocation. To date this includes almost 60 separate property transactions, including 40 residential and potentially 160 commercial properties at a commitment of £44m. The scheme includes the current site and adjoining land with the stadium sited largely to the north of the existing one. Getting to this stage has necessitated a great deal of work, determination and co-operation. The task ahead will by no means be easy but it is our firm belief that the new development will not only benefit everyone involved in the Club, but significantly enhance the immediate area around the ground. Importantly, it has real potential to kick start the regeneration of the wider area....

....Looking further forward and to funding for the new development, the funding package will necessarily include a combination of sponsorship, property deals, bank finance and innovative funding proposals.

However, stadium projects take time to deliver and we are determined not to undertake any capital project that undermines the financial stability that we have worked so hard to create at this Club. Be assured we shall look to ensure that this scheme is delivered in an appropriate manner. The project team now includes a multi-disciplinary group of architects, transport consultants, heritage specialists, planning consultants and other advisers.

The public consultation period will now begin and we would hope to submit a planning application in 2009. I am personally delighted that we have been able to put forward a viable option which we know to be the fans’ favourite – remaining at the Club’s spiritual home.

Main points I'd take from that (in no order of importance) are:

1. Not just a stadium but also a shopping and leisure complex.

2. Much of the property for the new site has already been bought (some £44 million spent on property purchases around the ground over the past five years).

3. Expect a name change for the stadium, despite it being in virtually the same place as the old stadium. Arsenal secured £70 million of up front cash from Emirates. Spurs will need to do something similar.

4. Planning application within the year (with Haringey council unlikely to put up much, if any, resistance).

5. 60,000...........yes!! Delighted that they haven't been overly conservative.

Can't wait to see the renders on 14th November.
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #59
JimB

Just to highlight (for those who can't be bothered to read through all the info above!), renders of the new scheme will be available on this URL www.tottenhamhotspur.com/futureplans from November 14th.

I have to say that this decision is the best possible outcome. I always wanted to stay at the same site - even while building work was going on; I always wanted a capacity of at least 60,000 (though I feared a 50K compromise).

Now we just have to hope that the chosen architects have designed:

a) a proper football stadium, with fans as close to the pitch as possible and with steeply rising tiers.

b) a stadium with character and not merely another dull, featureless, generic bowl.

c) a scheme with real architectural merit.

d) a stadium with no overhanging roofs - thereby obscuring the view of much of the rest of the stadium from many seats (such as at the Emirates).

e) a stadium with proper navy blue seats and not the inferior (Chelsea) blue of the current seats at WHL!!

Can't wait!
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #60
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

And lets hope its not HOK Sports.
3 HOK Sports stadium in 1 city would be a lil bit too much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
england, football, hotspurs, populous, soccer, spurs, stadium, tottenham