SANTA CLARA - Levi's Stadium (68,500) - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM   #21
Ganis

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
I'm not digging the erector set exterior at all...
I agree. the 70's ended 30 years ago.. I guess the 49ers didn't get the memo.
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM   #22
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway58 View Post
what about the parking lot at the stick.
They once planned on a stadium there but soil testing revealed that the area would need super deep pilings to be safe and that ended up being so potentially expensive that the idea was dropped. The issue with Hunters Point is that it also promises to be super expensive with all the environmental cleanup that would need to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA BOY View Post
does anyone have a google map location of new site?
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.39...944,-121.97225

It's just north of the Great America Theme Park. It's been marked out on Wikimapia:
http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=37.395...ny=0.3&m=b&v=8
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM   #23
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
i love this one
nice way to say we do not have the money for a cladding or something like Allianz Arena
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/633...blage01kcq.jpg

Did you actually look at the cost of the stadium?
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM   #24
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 97

937 million...what?
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:08 PM   #25
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
937 million...what?
You'd be shocked how much the cost rises when you have to buy land then pay taxes on the building, pay the workers, transport and build in California. California is one of the worst states to build in. Cowboys Stadium would have cost hundreds of millions more had they tried to build it here.
ryebreadraz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM   #26
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2979

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Did you actually look at the cost of the stadium?
Than they should say "a cladding etc would be too expensive"
Instead of more open fell etc

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (2): 2009, 2018

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (2): 2017, 2018
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM   #27
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Than they should say "a cladding etc would be too expensive"
Instead of more open fell etc
My point was obviously the money went elsewhere. Allianz did not approach the cost of this place.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:54 PM   #28
schlaflin

Likes (Received): 0

Yes On J Town Meeting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DohwKTYB5g

http://www.santaclarastadiumfacts.com

Last edited by schlaflin; May 21st, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
schlaflin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM   #29
schlaflin

Santa Clara council OKs 49ers stadium hotel tax, report for Yahoo campus
By Lisa Fernandez
[email protected]
Posted: 05/12/2010 09:49:49 AM PDT

The Santa Clara City Council voted yes on two crucial developments Tuesday night, giving the nod to a hotel tax if a proposed 49ers stadium is built and to the development of a massive new Yahoo complex.

In a 5-2 vote, the council agreed to create a tax district of eight hotels where guests would pay an additional 2 percent tax on the cost of the room, with the extra money going to help pay for the 68,500-seat stadium. That's on top of the current transient occupancy tax of 9.5 percent already levied on guests of any hotel in the city.

Council members Will Kennedy and Jamie McLeod voted no. They have been vocal about their concerns regarding public funding going to pay for a new $937 million stadium.

Economic study reports show the tax would likely generate $35 million, which would go toward the stadium. An additional $79 million of public contributions are earmarked for the project. The team and the National Football League say they are putting in about $493 million, and the Santa Clara Stadium Authority is putting in about $330 million.

The hotel tax increase would only take effect after the stadium is built and would not be created if Santa Clarans vote down the stadium measure June 8.

The eight hotels in the district are closest to where the new stadium would be built, on a parking lot near the Great America theme park. They "are expected to benefit significantly from the proposed football stadium, primarily from home game weekend
Advertisement
bookings in fall and winter, which is historically the slowest booking period for hotels located in a business district," according to economic findings from the city and the 49ers.

The hotels are Plaza Suites, Embassy Suites, Santa Clara Biltmore, Avatar, Santa Clara Marriott, Santa Clara Hilton, Hyatt Regency Santa Clara and Hotel Sierra. These hotels have 2,600 of the 3,800 hotel rooms, or 68 percent, in the city.

Also Tuesday, the hotel owners unanimously voted to support the new tax. They each voted per acre of land owned. Coincidentally, there are 49 acres.

In a separate matter, the council voted 7-0 to certify the environmental impact report and approve a development agreement for a 3-million-square-foot Yahoo campus, which would be the city's largest development ever. Plans to break ground on the project, and consolidate many of the smaller, leased Yahoo offices in Santa Clara, have not yet been announced.

Looks like the Niners are finally getting a new stadium.
schlaflin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #30
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5099

I'm still leery of the Authority money heading into this, but the two bay-area teams have real dumps for homes. So long as the taxpayers get their money back, I'm all for seeing the Niners (and the Raiders, too, eventually) getting a new home. Especially if they still suck on the field!!!
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #31
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 166

Quote:
CBS 5 Poll: 49ers Stadium Passage Likely
May 25, 2010 7:04 pm US/Pacific

Voters in Santa Clara appear poised to approve the plan for a new stadium for the 49ers, according to an exclusive KPIX-TV CBS 5 poll released Tuesday, paving the way for the football team's move out of San Francisco.

The poll, conducted for CBS 5 by SurveyUSA, found 56% of likely voters indicated they were certain to vote yes on Measure J, while 40% were certain to vote no. According to the poll data, the measure is backed by a majority of men and women across all age groups, along with whites, Hispanics and Asians, Democrats and Republicans.

Early voting is available in Santa Clara, and among the 37% of those surveyed who said they had already voted, the stadium measure was passing by a 2-to-1 margin. However, pollsters noted that opposition to ballot measures such as this one typically increase as Election Day approaches.

A yes vote would appear to all but guarantee that the 49ers would move from San Francisco, where the team was born in 1946. The team ownership has said the San Francisco name would remain.

The team has long expressed a desire to leave aging Candlestick Park and relocate to the proposed Santa Clara site next to the Great America amusement park and adjacent to the team's headquarters. The 49ers have spent about $1 million in support of the proposal and received the backing of the National Football League.

Cedar Fair L.P., the owners of Great America, filed a lawsuit over the 49ers stadium proposal, claiming the environmental impact report was inadequate. That suit has yet to be settled.

The CBS 5 poll of 577 likely Santa Clara voters was conducted by SurveyUSA on May 22-24 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.1%.

(© MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #32
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 183

Great news!
Archbishop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #33
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 200

Not a fan of the move.
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #34
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 3048

Me either, even as an outsider. Though I guess I prefer it to them moving to L.A.

It will be werid that most in the north bay and from San Fran will be in closer proximity to their Bay neighbor Oakland Raiders then the team that will display the city name off in Santa Clara.
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:55 PM   #35
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 72

Yeah, but the Raiders have......shall we say a niche fan base. And the vast majority of Niners fans, myself included, live way far away from San Fran anyways.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:54 PM   #36
ChuckWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Not a fan of the move.
Its a shame that a city like San Francisco is not willing to build a new stadium. If they built something resembling the new Meadowlands stadium they would probably get to host a Superbowl on a regular basis.
ChuckWA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM   #37
atmada

looks so awesome!
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:02 PM   #38
pesto

Likes (Received): 4114

Mayor Newsom of SF has now explained that the 49ers are going to win the vote in Santa Clara but that it has no meaning since the stadium will never be built because of their inability to get financing. In a year or two the 49ers will crawl back to SF and beg to be allowed to play, along with the Raiders, in the fully-funded, fully-permitted Hunter's Point Stadium, which Newsom has planned and developed.

On the slim chance that he is not 100% correct, it really is time to face the reality that the new demographic in SF are not huge sports supporters and as a result the fan base has move to East Bay and South Bay. The Santa Clara Stadium has an excellent, central location and really outstanding train and light-rail connection, which Candlestick and Hunter's Point are lacking. SF seems well advised to focus on residential and high-tech in the proposed areas.

Moreover, Santa Clara negotiated the deal so well that the SC electorate is apparently going to pass it quite easily, which is surprising in a mid-sized suburb with no history of sports fanaticism (except maybe swimming and diving).

Incidentally, the proposed stadium in downtown SJ for the Athletics is also shown leading by large numbers. That vote is likely to be in November.
pesto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:22 PM   #39
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 3048

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Mayor Newsom of SF has now explained that the 49ers are going to win the vote in Santa Clara but that it has no meaning since the stadium will never be built because of their inability to get financing. In a year or two the 49ers will crawl back to SF and beg to be allowed to play, along with the Raiders, in the fully-funded, fully-permitted Hunter's Point Stadium, which Newsom has planned and developed.

On the slim chance that he is not 100% correct, it really is time to face the reality that the new demographic in SF are not huge sports supporters and as a result the fan base has move to East Bay and South Bay. The Santa Clara Stadium has an excellent, central location and really outstanding train and light-rail connection, which Candlestick and Hunter's Point are lacking. SF seems well advised to focus on residential and high-tech in the proposed areas.
So if Newsome thinks that a Hunters Point stadium is all a go then what is the argument over? I would think that the 49ers would rather play in the Hunters Point location than the Santa Clara one. Or do they? I didn't see what transit connections the Santa Clara site offered.

Is it basically over squabbling over how much the city will chip in? Do the 49ers want full revenue stream control over the facility when the 49ers play?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:57 PM   #40
pesto

Likes (Received): 4114

The 49ers considered SF for some time but finally became committed to Santa Clara with LA as the fall-back when no progress was made in SF. They have been putting millions into the Santa Clara vote.

It appears that Newsom has no real plan and is trying to make a political happy face (Hunter’s Point has zero transit, road issues and questions re pollution and local crime). Santa Clara has VTA rail (connecting South Bay); and Amtrak from East Bay, Sacto and Modesto; all stop right at the stadium. There is also Caltrain to the whole Peninsula but this requires a change of trains.

But the main point is that the 49er offices have been in Santa Clara for years and now the bulk of their fans are in the South Bay. SF is not where the fans or corporate sponsors are any more.
pesto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
american football, san francisco, san josé, united states