Projects & Discussion | NSW | Public Spaces & Parks - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #121
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 17335

there needs to be a square IN FRONT of town hall not at sides or behind. Also the new square WONT be grassed. its will be paved.
Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2020, 505George-2023 , 338 Pitt- 2024 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #122
rob_

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
there needs to be a square IN FRONT of town hall not at sides or behind. Also the new square WONT be grassed. its will be paved.
its good to know, the artists impression of the square has grass. I agree the square to the side is not really a city square, its kinds dead area too.
rob_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #123
sydney_lad
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Thank ****!

Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #124
Lord_Bertrum
Be the Love Generation

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
there needs to be a square IN FRONT of town hall not at sides or behind.
And how will this happen with George Street running down the middle?
Lord_Bertrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #125
CULWULLA

its still infront of town hall. and when theres a reason for parade etc. the george st gets blocked anyway so then there will be a large area to stand.
Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2020, 505George-2023 , 338 Pitt- 2024 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #126
Cariad

Likes (Received): 371

Meh
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #127
CULWULLA

meh?
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #128
Cariad

Likes (Received): 371

Yeah you know how I feel about this. I hate it .... meh
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #129
Ipggi
Here

Likes (Received): 539

Just on the Melbourne thing, they do have City Square which is a paved plaza not unlike this plan. Though it was reduced in size when they built the Westin there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_City_Square
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #130
Valeroso

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariad View Post
I think Woolworths Building and HOtel Coronation should stay, they are great old buildings and Sydney landmarks. I certainly will be oppsoing the square.
I really like the Woolworths building also, and I'm not so ecstatic that it'll be coming down either. Can someone try and post ugly pictures of it to convince me that it should be gone? Because at the moment, this whole square proposal is not really amusing me since I can't actually see it being done in a way that I'd like it to be done. Especially when such a nice building like the Woolworths building is going to be demolished also. I wonder what a square would do to a place like Barangaroo though.
Valeroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #131
Valeroso

Likes (Received): 2

Also, if this is the proposal:

then it wins no support from me.

Here is an example of what the square SHOULD look like from some European cities:

Trafalgar Square, London:

Senate Square, Helsinki

Okay, so many of those squares have glamorous settings and are quite large and dominant - doesn't matter. My point is, most are paved (they don't have grass). They also have fountains, or statues, or other monuments that make the square beautiful and not very tacky. Sure, not every square out there is perfect though (personally, I don't like Federation Square in Melbourne much :\), and so if this Sydney square is done right, then it'll be a nice asset to have! If it's done wrong, then goodbye to a relatively pretty building. But I guess all cities benefit with squares and people friendly zones, so I guess Sydney wouldn't have too much to lose with such a proposal. I just hope it's done right! Cheers!
Valeroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #132
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 380

I like the Independence Square in Kiev.

Old February 26th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #133
CULWULLA

that grassy proposal is old and wont ever see light of day. not only there wont be grass but if you look to the south of the site, theres a 5 storied glass structure atached to side of energy aust. this was the plan for council library.
but now that a devloper will build a landmark tower to the south. this will effect the whole squares design.
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #134
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

I think the square won't be complete without a landmark fountain with a sculpture rising from it. While the Square should be paved, I'd love to see trees (preferably native) planted in a formation of any sort that could lead to the fountain.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #135
CULWULLA

who knows what sort of feature the square will have. maybe a fountain or sculpture etc.we have also have some trees, well have to wait and see.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #136
BearCave

Likes (Received): 238

I don't want to see any trees in the square.
They will block the views.
BearCave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #137
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 33

The render I posted from The Herald was just some nicey-nice concept someone came up with in the Council's PR office ie green 'n trees = friendly & palatable.

More likely some maintenanace-free or low-maintenance square will be the go. Arghh, lots of crazy paving and a big awkward modern sculpture right slap-bang in the middle is my worst fear , even over trees and grass (crazy paving gets oil-stained, marked and grimey and seems to stay that way).

I wouldn't know what the answer is, but certainly something 'visionary', and that can be translated to the hilt. This would be something of importance one would hope, and not just another city square.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #138
laxor

Likes (Received): 43

never understood the fuss over the woolworths building. Always found it bland myself, glad to see it go.

A euro square it what we really really need. This along with the plans to revitalise sydneys lanes amongst other things will breathe life back into the CBD.
Next step get rid of that ugly monorail!
laxor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #139
nsn

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxor View Post
Next step get rid of that ugly monorail!
Hear, hear.

Seriously, what is going on with the monorail? Why is it still there? Why hasn't it been taken down yet, and why do Sydneysiders allow this blot on their city to continue to exist? Is it just because everyone has grown accustomed to it, and no-one really 'sees' it anymore? It's awful - get rid of it! Haven't there been any discussions or proposals to remove it?

(Sorry for deviating from the topic, but I really hate that monorail...!)
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #140
CP Doom

Likes (Received): 44

Monorail = Tacky
CP Doom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz