CITY? OR NOT A CITY? - The city status news and discussion thread - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Urban

Urban discussions on urbanisation, urban society, economy, infrastructure, urban events and entertainment

Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:58 AM   #61
Skyprince

Hehehe... tak sedar pulak
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:40 AM   #62
Nissan_FUGA

Likes (Received): 0

Talking about Klang, does it qualified to attain city status?
Nissan_FUGA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM   #63
cng1974
cng1

Yup, Klang is qualify. They have more than 600K population. Probably, it is still not fulfill the RM80m income from local and lack of good Infrastructure setup. Anyone knows?
Furthermore, there is a lot of new areas are being developed especially Bukit tinggi with Biggest AEON shopping mall (up coming), TESCO, GIANT etc...
cng1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #64
wmkp
" Let Penang Lead "

The menteri besar of selangor announced that Klang would be the next city after PJ. I believe they have reached the minimum revenue of RM 80m, if Kuantan can achieve RM 84m, it would be ludicrous if Klang can't get tht amount. As for population,administration and other criterias, Klang has all that.
wmkp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #65
wmkp
" Let Penang Lead "

I believe eventually they would want all state capitals to be accorded the city status, even now only Kangar, KB, KT,Kuantan and Seremban remains under a municipality. Kuantan in a way deserves the status if they do make RM84m+, while KT n KB should just wait it out.To the question of revoking the city status of JB, its a joke...every city would have its potholes n rundown buildings, same goes to KL, ever checked out areas near Pudu n Chow Kit? Should Kl thn be downgraded?
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #66
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

To me, the municipalities that should be granted city status in sequence -

1. Penang/Georgetown
2. Klang
3. Subang Jaya
4. Seremban
5. Kuantan
6. Sungai Petani
7. Butterworth
8. Sandakan
9. Ampang Jaya

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #67
ntly1
North Borneo Is My Home

Likes (Received): 7

Can anyone tell me why Penang/Georgetown is not a city ? Penang is the most qualifed & deserved to have CITY status..
ntly1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #68
Pablo
Jian Fa

Likes (Received): 3

Dont question bout why Gerogetown is not a city anymore...tiring to make comment

Just let it be la.. as long as it is always a city in my heart..that will be enough for me...Tired!!
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #69
wmkp
" Let Penang Lead "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Dont question bout why Gerogetown is not a city anymore...tiring to make comment

Just let it be la.. as long as it is always a city in my heart..that will be enough for me...Tired!!
Well said there...if the person wants to know, the topic have been discussed many times, you can check the previous pages.Just remember that GT had been proclaimed as a city from the 1st Jan 1957 and forever thereafter be a city quoting Queen E's charter.
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #70
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntly1 View Post
Can anyone tell me why Penang/Georgetown is not a city ? Penang is the most qualifed & deserved to have CITY status..
hey, look at my signature!! ha ha....

to explain that is simple. one word politics

here's a thread you might want to see: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=106888

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #71
ntly1
North Borneo Is My Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW View Post

here's a thread you might want to see: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=106888
Thanks TYW..now i know a bit of the history here & there..to me Penang is a CITY
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #72
Nissan_FUGA

As long as Penang thrives in economic vitality....it doesn't matter if Penang got city status or not, because in reality, it is already a city, just without "official" status.....

and for my hometown, i think only when all the development projects are completed, then only qualified to get it, because i like to see my hometown to be a full-fledged one....
Nissan_FUGA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #73
ntly1
North Borneo Is My Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_FUGA View Post
As long as Penang thrives in economic vitality....it doesn't matter if Penang got city status or not, because in reality, it is already a city, just without "official" status.....

and for my hometown, i think only when all the development projects are completed, then only qualified to get it, because i like to see my hometown to be a full-fledged one....
Yup..I think those projects to be completed is more important than being declared as City for Sandakan (my hometown) at this moment ...therefore, i would be more happy to see all these projects completed.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #74
cooltemper
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW View Post

Agree!

So next round of election, have to show them who is "their" boss!
cooltemper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #75
AhChuan

Likes (Received): 81

Watever la...as long my heart still say Penang is a city!! No matter it is official or unofficial...Hehehe....true lover Penang here. OK??? Close case!! Masuk bilik and sleep!! ZZZzzzz...
AhChuan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #76
TYW

the only problem not being officially recognised as a city is that MPPP will receive less money from the federal government

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #77
Irwin

Likes (Received): 481

from wikipedia:

Greater Metropolitan of Penang

Due to rapid urbanization of Penang and its surrounding area, an entity of metro area is formed in the northern part of Peninsula Malaysia. This urban area will eventually transform into a conurbation known as Conurbation of George Town as indicated in National Physical Plan of Malaysia. Conurbation of George Town, together with Conurbation of Johor Bahru are Regional Growth Conurbation while Conurbation of Kuala Lumpur is National Growth Conurbation.

The greater metropolitan area of Penang consists of highly urbanized Penang Island, Seberang Prai, Sungai Petani, Kulim and the surrounding area. In term of population, it is the second largest urban area in Malaysia after Conurbation of Kuala Lumpur (Klang Valley). According to 2000 national census, the population of this urban area is about 1.6 million. For Conurbation of Kuala Lumpur, the population in 2000 is about 4.9 million while Johor Bahru's population is 1 million. Currently, the population of this urban area is approximately 2 million.[1]

Under 9th Malaysia Plan, this urban area is referred to as Northern Corridor Economic Region (NCER). Northern Corridor Economic Region is one of the three developement regions formed in Peninsula Malaysia, other developement regions are South Johor Economic Region (SJER) or Iskandar Developement Region (IDR) and East Coast Developement Region. Northern Corridor Economic Region (NCER) encompases state of Penang (Penang Island and Seberang Prai), Southern Kedah (Sungai Petani and Kulim) and Northern Perak.
Irwin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #78
cooltemper
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
from wikipedia:

Greater Metropolitan of Penang
Due to rapid urbanization of Penang and its surrounding area, an entity of metro area is formed in the northern part of Peninsula Malaysia. This urban area will eventually transform into a conurbation known as Conurbation of George Town as indicated in National Physical Plan of Malaysia. Conurbation of George Town, together with Conurbation of Johor Bahru are Regional Growth Conurbation while Conurbation of Kuala Lumpur is National Growth Conurbation.

The greater metropolitan area of Penang consists of highly urbanized Penang Island, Seberang Prai, Sungai Petani, Kulim and the surrounding area. In term of population, it is the second largest urban area in Malaysia after Conurbation of Kuala Lumpur (Klang Valley). According to 2000 national census, the population of this urban area is about 1.6 million. For Conurbation of Kuala Lumpur, the population in 2000 is about 4.9 million while Johor Bahru's population is 1 million. Currently, the population of this urban area is approximately 2 million.[1]

Under 9th Malaysia Plan, this urban area is referred to as Northern Corridor Economic Region (NCER). Northern Corridor Economic Region is one of the three developement regions formed in Peninsula Malaysia, other developement regions are South Johor Economic Region (SJER) or Iskandar Developement Region (IDR) and East Coast Developement Region. Northern Corridor Economic Region (NCER) encompases state of Penang (Penang Island and Seberang Prai), Southern Kedah (Sungai Petani and Kulim) and Northern Perak.
cooltemper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #79
TYW

have you guys heard about the news about Kuantan?? i think it might be the next to be awarded city status.

Old July 11th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #80
Skyprince

Can Penang become the "Abu Dhabi" of Malaysia ?

Im really tired that all the focus is always into KL and it seems like Malaysia fails to create a strong and worldly-known second city right next to KL

Penang has it all-- tonnes of skyscrapies, touristic sites, great food, hardworking populations

So i dont see anything against Penang to be turned into something like Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi with ppl around 400 000 already become a global super-developed city of UAE ; it has its own airlines Etihad and extremely famous and grand structures like Emirates Palace etc. so I wish Penang to become more than that
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement