Projects & Discussion | NSW | Shopping Centres & Retail News - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #21
no name

Likes (Received): 0

I went by the new section of level 4 at Westfield Parramatta yesterday and it's great. The main entrance feels really open now and I think you wouldn't recognise it if you haven't been there for a while. If they redone the whole centre in this style it would be simply amazing.
I agree with you drnilescrane about the red and the brown concrete. I think there's too much red on the Fitzwilliam St side and they should have covered that side with just the white. The first time I saw the brown concrete a few months ago I was disgusted.
Does Westfield have plans to standardise the signage across the centre by the time the cinemas are finished or will they just leave it as it is now?
Will the office tower get recladded or anything because those bricks and that old neon sign won't look too good against the new and shiny glass facade of the centre.
no name no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #22
drnilescrane

I agree - compared to what it was like 6 months ago when I last visited, even in an uncompletred state it is 100% better. I also agree the center needs a complete re-do, the 1995 expansion has dated very quickly, and it wasn't very high quality (or open like the new entrance) to start with. The new section contrasts with the old so much it feels like two different shopping centers.

I dont know about the signage - If Chatswood is anything to go by, yes. But then again the old building in Chatswood got a complete once over, something eI dont thing will happen to Parra because it wasn't as old as Chatty. I'm leaning towards no, which is a shame because the consistent signage is something that falls into a Shopping Center's X-Factor rating on my scale.

I don't know about the tower, It may get a WBJ Touchup, a Re-Clad or nothing. Again, I'm leaning towards nothing because the Budget seems only enougth for the expansion considering what's gone into it(About $90 Mill).

Again, this center expansion is not the best I've seen (change the cladding and I'd be a bit nicer), but still blasts a center like Chatswood out of the water on the Quality scale. Westfield are definatly on a roll with their new centers, correctly targeting the People with taste.

I would of got photo's, but after the WBJ incident and seeing all those Guards swarming Parra, I don't think I will take another photo for a long time.

I can't wait for Borders to open! As soon as Tuggerah is finished I'll visit it to.

Is Mt Druitt worth taking a look at? And How's Liverpool?
drnilescrane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #23
no name

I went to Mt Druitt when stage 1 opened and the new section (I think Myer used to be there) was quite nice (styled like recent Westfield upgrades).
When I went past Liverpool a few weeks ago there was a lot of progress. A quarter of the excavated area was filled up to street level and more levels of parking were being added to the existing parking and there was lots of steel poles everywhere.

On a different note, I noticed that Westfield had updated the layout of their website for their Australian centres.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #24
drnilescrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name
I went to Mt Druitt when stage 1 opened and the new section (I think Myer used to be there) was quite nice (styled like recent Westfield upgrades).
When I went past Liverpool a few weeks ago there was a lot of progress. A quarter of the excavated area was filled up to street level and more levels of parking were being added to the existing parking and there was lots of steel poles everywhere.

On a different note, I noticed that Westfield had updated the layout of their website for their Australian centres.
All centers worldwide are on the new Design, except the 'special' centers (WBJ, San Fransisco, etc.)
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #25
ParraMan
I need to know...

Likes (Received): 1992

I'm really intrigued by the look of the new extension at Parra (internal look), especially if it is such a big difference to the existing centre. Unfortunately they didn't do much with the floors in 1995, just adding some spots of black and brown tiles around the pylons. Really looking forward to seeing it in person in a year. As for the signs in-centre, I expect they will be replaced over time. In 1995 the old signs stayed in some places for almost a year after the first stage opening. Just a little question, are the floors in the new level 4 section tiled or carpet?

Cheers, and wish the office tower would do something different!

It's called RESPECT, Pure and simple
ParraMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #26
no name

The floors in the new level 4 section are tiled.
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #27
drnilescrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParraMan
I'm really intrigued by the look of the new extension at Parra (internal look), especially if it is such a big difference to the existing centre. Unfortunately they didn't do much with the floors in 1995, just adding some spots of black and brown tiles around the pylons. Really looking forward to seeing it in person in a year. As for the signs in-centre, I expect they will be replaced over time. In 1995 the old signs stayed in some places for almost a year after the first stage opening. Just a little question, are the floors in the new level 4 section tiled or carpet?

Cheers, and wish the office tower would do something different!
I've seen the new renders that have been put up newar the underground entrance to the station, and while the new facade on the old building looks great, the tower will not be touched. At All. Not even a more fitting Paint Scheme.

(As No_Name said all the new flooring is terazzo, which despiratly needs to be buffed)
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #28
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 33

The massive crane @ Broadway Shopping Centre has been up for a few weeks now, adding levels to both the north and south buildings.

From the website:

The Centre's expansion is in line with local population growth, which is forecast to grow by 11% over the next six years, and retail spending, which is forecast to grow at five to six per cent per annum for the next six years.

The expansion of the Centre will include a new level, Level Three, being added to the Centre together with three additional car parking levels. The new level will include Target and 30 specialty stores.

Broadway’s new level is planned to be completed in early 2007.

More HERE

Last edited by Muse; March 20th, 2007 at 06:41 AM.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #29
citiboy

Likes (Received): 807

not an expansion-----but at burwood westfield myer will close in march 2007. westfield has not renewed their lease ---it was not a reflection on the store performance. remember myer has new owners now only-two weeks or so after they bought it-----------so it looks like david jones will come to burwood. djs said the site was a keen interest to their company.if it became available djs would have a good look at it.---------that would be the third department store to be at westfield burwood since 1966---- farmers--myer--and maybe david jones. heres hoping.
citiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #30
Brizer

Likes (Received): 5857

In the paper today: DJ's is opening stores in a number of major shopping centres (Westfield's?) where Myer previously had sole domain.

Farmer's/Grace Bros/Myer ended up essentially the same company through take-overs while DJ's is a quite separate company.
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 02:08 AM   #31
ParraMan
I need to know...

Yeah, the new interest from DJ's to open stores will mean quite an interesting time in the shopping centre industry.... We'll have to see if Myer realy doesn't close any other stores. I'd say that in SYdney, DJ's would really want to look at Macquarie Centre, and Burwood would be a great fit. Further down the track, Penrith, Rouse Hill and Hurstville would be good options (possibly replacing Myer).
They've got opportunities in Melbourne, Highpoint, Doncaster and Northland fit pretty well, and again further along, possibly Frankston and Geelong. They'll be opening in Narre Warren soon enough too.
There's quite a few Myer stores around that really need something done to them eg Hurstville, Liverpool, Roselands and Blacktown. I was going to say Carlingford too, but that closed down a few weeks ago. There's a good chance that we'll see some changes at these locations depending on the plans of the new owners.

Old June 21st, 2006, 02:30 AM   #32
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 380

DJ shits all over Myer. DJ actually has class and grandeur. Myer is like Sanity store with overpriced goods.
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:17 AM   #33
Lord_Bertrum
Be the Love Generation

Likes (Received): 12

It is true, Myer does need a brand image make over. It doesn't distinguish itself from Target in my opinion. Yes it is higher end, but it gets squeezed at both ends by the lower end and the true high end retailers.

I'd go to Target/Kmart/Big W for value
I'd go to David Jones for quality
why would I go to Myers?
Lord_Bertrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 05:29 AM   #34
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 104

The Broadway Shopping Centre expansion sounds good.
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:32 AM   #35
no name

Stage 1 of Westfield Liverpool and the expansion of Centro Bankstown have opened.
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #36
thewreckoning88

david jones in penrith would be great.
so wats happening with myer.
thewreckoning88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #37
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCity
The Broadway Shopping Centre expansion sounds good.
It's proceeding @ a very reasonable pace. 2 cranes are in full swing now.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #38
ParraMan
I need to know...

Was announced this week DJ's will be opening new stores in Chermside and Doncaster in 2007. Indeed they will replace Myer in Burwood

Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:32 PM   #39
ParraMan
I need to know...

In the old thread I mentioned that Castle Towers may have yet another expansion- in the last two weeks the owners of Castle Towers (QIC) have submitted a development application to Baulkham Hills council. Their proposal is to demolish the 2000 extension (Greater Union cinemas and Piazza), and construct a new 3 level mall extending to Showground Rd, and then along Showground Rd with a bridge over Pennant St. There will be a new supermarket (to replace the tiny Food for Less), a new DDS (probably Big W) a new outdoor restaurant precinct using some heritage listed buildings, new food court and a 20 screen cinema complex. The expansion will add a net 59,986 square metres, bringing Castle Towers to a huge 170,000 square metres (by far largest in oz)

Cheers

Old September 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM   #40
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 17496

^yes, i mentioned this in australias; shopping centres from above thread .i asked what was current largest and would 170k be biggest. i think it will be.
cheers
Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2020, 505George-2023 , 338 Pitt- 2024 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz, projects, retail