Discussion | New Signage Thread - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales

New South Wales » Sydney CBD | Parramatta CBD | Sydney Metro Area | Regional NSW

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #121
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Deutsche Bank's spires floodlit again in the evenings.

Unfortunately Channel 7's tickers on Martin Place look like they won't be switched on again. Apparently some council nonsense that with people walking underneath them in passing by, if something goes wrong, there are safety issues. Some malarky like that. Gosh, that means every bit of electrical signage overhead may fall down and dong you on the noggin hence you will be electrocuted
Hang on, so the ticker at martin place ... is it still on in the day or it is off permanetly? I really think this is council going way too far ... Cul I think you need to have a quiet word in someone's ear ... this is ******* ridiculous.

I actually have a mind to write to council and convey my concerns. I am certaily not happy with the our lack of ticker displays and an iability to use the ones we have. There is no problems with them in [insert any other city here], Sydney is once again ovregulated to buggery.
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #122
Lord_Bertrum
Be the Love Generation

Likes (Received): 12

I think it's covered off in post #106.
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #123
Ipggi
Here

Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
Hang on, so the ticker at martin place ... is it still on in the day or it is off permanetly? I really think this is council going way too far ... Cul I think you need to have a quiet word in someone's ear ... this is ******* ridiculous.

I actually have a mind to write to council and convey my concerns. I am certaily not happy with the our lack of ticker displays and an iability to use the ones we have. There is no problems with them in [insert any other city here], Sydney is once again ovregulated to buggery.
I was in Martin Place two weeks ago, on the weekend though and they were still off.

Old March 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #124
enterprise

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipggi View Post
I was in Martin Place two weeks ago, on the weekend though and they were still off.
I havent seen the ticker on for many months. How the heck is it a saftey issue for the city??? I wonder if it has anything to do with sunrise's obsesion with global warming??
enterprise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #125
Joelby
dink!

Likes (Received): 463

It's not really a new sign (though they'll need a new one now), but PWC's signage burst into flames last night:

'The sky fell in and it rained fire'

March 13, 2008 12:00am

CITY workers watched in amazement as balls of fire fell from the sky last night.

Staff at accounting and law firm PricewaterhouseCoopers were forced out of their Sussex St office after the neon sign on the top level burst into flames just before 9pm.
Workers who converged on the footpath below were moved on as the letters began to melt and balls of fire rained down 27 storeys.

Firefighters unable to reach the blaze were forced to stand and watch as the fire burnt itself out.

Surrounding streets were blocked off, causing traffic chaos in the city.

PwC worker Michelle Chew was one of the 26 people evacuated from the building. She said she was working late with four colleagues when she saw "flake-like" debris and then fire embers falling past the level 13 window.

"They were just falling down the building," she said.

Onlooker Lusiano Afeaki said: "There was just balls of fire coming down from the top. It was like a waterfall of fire."

A Fire Brigade spokesman said an electrical fault was believed to have caused the fire.
Joelby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #126
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 17323

wow

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...mh=dm16.306480
Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2020, 505George-2023 , 338 Pitt- 2024 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #127
papervagina
spider inside my dreams

Greater Union have lodged a DA to replace the signage and cladding of the George Street cinemas; they also want to add a video screen.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/D...asp?tpk=889560
papervagina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #128
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 33

Ah! It really, reeeaaallly needs a major umpf! The George St frontage has basically looked the same since it opened in 1977 as a Hoyts 7-screen complex. This was even worsened when it was redeveloped with the same frontage by extending it to incorporate the G.U. George St 4 Cinema Complex next door (when the northernmost part was still operated by Hoyts) & just making it an even longer bunker-like structure.

BTW The Price Waterhouse Coopers signage atop DP1 has been fixed but just in what seems to be 1 panel-like structure and not matching the tiles already afixed to the exterior of the building. Maybe it's just a temporary measure while a (matching) custom-made replacement is eventually afixed.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM   #129
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Go for it. Looks very nice.

Meanwhile the TNT Tower's at Redfern now have CGA signage adorning the tops of both towers.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #130
Dyllip
La Urbanista

Likes (Received): 533

When I drove past North Sydney a couple of weeks ago, the Canon sign on 141 Walker Street was gone.
Dyllip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM   #131
papervagina
spider inside my dreams

After many years of being blank, the old State Bank building on Oxford Street is set to get "Memo Corp" signage.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/D...asp?tpk=892269
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #132
drnilescrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by papervagina View Post
Greater Union have lodged a DA to replace the signage and cladding of the George Street cinemas; they also want to add a video screen.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/D...asp?tpk=889560
I recently decided to follow this one up with council - seems it got approved, sans all video screens. Greater Union have now lodged a S96:

Quote:
There will be less letters on the facade thus reducing light spill. There will be no wash or moving lighting elements thus removing any driver distraction. the new static digital displays will be angled to the footpath to include pedestrian "friendlines"
I'll post the full details once council puts them up.
drnilescrane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #133
Dyllip
La Urbanista

Likes (Received): 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilescrane View Post
I recently decided to follow this one up with council - seems it got approved, sans all video screens. Greater Union have now lodged a S96:

oh awesome. i was wondering about this the other day.
Dyllip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #134
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 33

This was in the weekend SMH a few weeks ago....

Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #135
Brizer

Likes (Received): 5823

Audi have a DA for signage on its new HQ at Victoria Park, Zetland, on exhibition City of Sydney.
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #136
Ipggi
Here

Quote:

The sans video screens was a Greater Union modification or a council requirement? Sometimes I feel like Sydney is stuck in the 1980s while it lacks the technological based bling seen in many other major and minor world cities.
Ipggi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #137
drnilescrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipggi View Post
The sans video screens was a Greater Union modification or a council requirement? Sometimes I feel like Sydney is stuck in the 1980s while it lacks the technological based bling seen in many other major and minor world cities.
Council - They shat bricks and got the RTA in to do the same (just in case) - somehow a screen that high up is distracting to drivers... God knows how those poor residents of Tokyo, New York or London cope with their incompetent governments who allow moving images or light!
drnilescrane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #138
papervagina
spider inside my dreams

What you're forgetting, drnilescrane, is that Sydney isn't a city - it's a collection of villages. Villagers are simple folk easily distracted by flashing lights!
Old April 10th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #139
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

The logica sign is quite small when you see it in person.

The PWC signage has been replaced, but was disappointing that building management took months to do so, and having to put up with the burnt areas.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #140
Ipggi
Here

Quote:
Council - They shat bricks and got the RTA in to do the same (just in case) - somehow a screen that high up is distracting to drivers... God knows how those poor residents of Tokyo, New York or London cope with their incompetent governments who allow moving images or light!
Are there any levels of government or bureaucracy in this state that are not incompetent & talk about a nanny-state!?

I guess the intersection of St Kilda Rd and Flinders Street would never happen in Sydney. Bold architecture, historic buildings, trams, heavy pedestrian activity and gosh, LED advertising all banged together at the one main intersection to cause a huge, potential distraction for drivers!

I guess VicRoads and the Melbourne city council think their drivers are competent, while the RTA and the SSC would prefer that everyone in NSW drove padded, bumper cars.
Ipggi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement