STADIUMS, Turf Club and Sports Center in Malaysia - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Urban

Urban discussions on urbanisation, urban society, economy, infrastructure, urban events and entertainment

Old September 13th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #41
nazrey

Likes (Received): 14704

Opening Ceremony
http://www.fihockey.org/vsite/vnavsi...v-list,00.html

Alor Setar, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kangar, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Seremban, Shah Alam, etc!
nazrey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #42
nazrey

Stadium Merdeka
By: Zed Fotofaces

Stadium Merdeka Kuala Lumpur was specially build for the country's independance celebration. Here on 31 August 1957, the proclaimation of idependance was done by the late Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj.

Stadiums in Sabah
http://www.sabah.gov.my/ls/kompleks_...takinabalu.htm
Kota Kinabalu

Kota Kinabalu Hockey stadium

Alor Setar, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kangar, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Seremban, Shah Alam, etc!

Last edited by nazrey; September 25th, 2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #43
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey
Is this complex include with NATIONAL HOCKEY STADIUM
Yes....the National Sports Complex includes the National Hockey Stadium. In fact this stadium is just beside the Starline Bukit Jalil station
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #44
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma169
For a country with 20 million ppl, Malaysia has got some of the best-looking stadiums in Asia! Very impressive.

Does Malaysia also have any football-specific stadiums?

Yup......there are two good examples:

1) Kuala Lumpur Football Stadium

2) Shah Alam Stadium (home to the Red Giants - Selangor State Team) - capacity 80,000

Although our all our outdoor stadiums have held important football matches, these two are specific examples of football being central to their creation
Old September 14th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #45
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Revive Shah Alam Stadium to its former glory

By BEN TAN

EVERY great football team has a turf to call their own. Popular English teams like Manchester United have Old Trafford and Liverpool have Anfield as their home grounds. For the Selangor team, the Shah Alam Stadium is the heart and soul of the Red Giants.

However, these days hardly anything happens at the stadium anymore and its impressive building is more often than not quiet.

The stadium, which is also a central component of the Shah Alam Sports Complex, looks dilapidated, as not much has been done over the years to enhance its façade.

This is a far cry from the days when the stadium was billed as the best in the country and even the region.

The Shah Alam Stadium was opened in 1994.

The facility, which opened in 1994, was once touted as the best stadium in the world. It houses a massive six-level semi-enclosed space spanning an area of 155,000 sq metres with a seating capacity of 80,000. The pitch measures 105 metres by 68 metres.

Ten years ago, the stadium was an impressive facility boasting state-of-the-art security, medical facilities and even a giant electronic scoreboard which was reputed to be the second biggest in the world at that time.

It also boasted the longest free-standing arc-shaped roof in the world. In addition to that it has an eight-lane Regupol track for track and field events.

The stadium was an expensive investment for the Selangor Government which spent RM460mil to build the structure.

Azhar ... ‘the stadium’s potential is still the same after 10 years’

Since its launch, it has successfully played host to a diverse range of events, including international and local sports events, major concerts, cultural shows, large outdoor displays and tournaments.

The Shah Alam Stadium is prominently positioned as the premier soccer venue in the country, being the “pride turf” for the Selangor football team and the venue for most FAM-organised (international standard) matches. It was even awarded the 1996 Asian Best Sports Facility.

In 1997, it played host to the World Youth Championship matches, which rank second after the World Cup in competitive soccer. This was followed by the stadium being one of the venues for the 1998 Commonwealth Games.

After that the stadium became the venue for various concerts, athletics competitions and Malaysia Cup matches.

Now, the stadium and its surrounding car park bays are used as a Sunday flea market and advanced driving course.

Local karting venue, City Karting, have their premises and full kart track in the car park bays.

The stadium is also used as exposition centres and some small motorsports companies even have their offices there.

Former journalist, Azhar Ghazali, who covered the opening of the Shah Alam Stadium about 10 years ago said it was sad that the facility had not turned out as promised.

“At that time, the management saw a lot of potential for the stadium, more so since it was also the home ground for the Selangor football team,” he said, adding that he was last at the stadium in 1994 for a Singapore versus Pahang match.

The Shah Alam Stadium is the heart and soul of the Selangor team, the Red Giants.

Azhar believed that the Shah Alam Stadium’s popularity began to tumble following the opening, in 1998, of the Bukit Jalil Sports Complex which became a popular choice for Klang Valley folk.

“However, I still think that there is potential for the stadium to be popular.

“What it needs is a good business team to organise and manage more events there,” he added.

Football fan Aznan Sharel said that he too was sad with the current state of the stadium as the place held sentimental value for him in 1994 and 1995 when the Red Giants were at their peak.

“Being a Red Giants supporter, I have not missed a Selangor match during that period. It was one of the most memorable times for Selangor football fans.

“When I pass by the stadium now, all I see is a greyish big wave that has gone silent,” said the 24-year-old who was sad that the stadium had become a white elephant.

Aznan believes that the state of the stadium now has something to do with the Selangor football fans.

“Where are the supporters of the Red Giants now? The stadium doesn't even have a banner proclaiming it to be the home of the Red Giants,” he said, adding that if Selangor staged a comeback, the stadium stood a chance of becoming a popular venue.

Shah Alam City councillor (Zone C) Datuk Seri Indah di-Raja Abu Bakar Abdul Hamid said the state government understood the potential of the stadium but was awaiting a full handover of the facility from a previous management company.

“The day-to-day running and management of the stadium is still under the control of this company and we (MBSA) are awaiting a full handover from them even though their lease has expired.

“Once the handover is complete, MBSA will hopefully develop the stadium as we still see potential in the facility for world-class events,” he said,
Old September 26th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #46
nazrey

Shah Alam Stadium
http://www.virtualmalaysia.com/desti...9&Type=Stadium

Last edited by nazrey; October 2nd, 2004 at 10:55 AM.
Old September 26th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #47
nazrey

Karting in Malaysia:
http://members.atlasf1.com/onehundredcc/malaysia.html

The Tracks:
-Langkawi Karting Circuit
-Permas Karting Circuit, Johor
-Sepang Karting Circuit
-Shah-Alam Karting Circuit
-Sunway Karting Circuit
-Tengku Mahkota Kart Circuit
-Elite(USJ Subang Jaya)

Shah-Alam Karting Circuit
http://www.citykarting.com/shahalamcircuit.htm

Last edited by nazrey; September 26th, 2004 at 09:04 AM.
Old September 26th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #48
nazrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
Yes....the National Sports Complex includes the National Hockey Stadium. In fact this stadium is just beside the Starline Bukit Jalil station
Well done!

Last edited by nazrey; September 26th, 2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old September 26th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #49
nazrey

How old is (this) picture?

Old September 26th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #50
nazrey

More Stadium & Sports Centres
http://www.mero.com.my/pstadium.htm

EXTENSION AND REFURBISHMENT OF KUANTAN STADIUM, KUANTAN, PAHANG DARUL MAKMUR - 1996
http://www.rb.com.my/NonFlashSite/Co...structionID=25

Extension of the existing Stadium from 25,000 capacity to 30,000 capacity and renovation to the existing grandstand together with new Highmast for additional lighting to FIFA standard. The Stadium was completed on schedule to enable SUKMA ’96 and ’97 junior world cup for soccer to be held.

Last edited by nazrey; September 28th, 2004 at 03:38 AM.
Old September 26th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #51
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey
How old is (this) picture?

Old September 26th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #52
nazrey

This is also in 1998 right?

I think I've ever seen your photo here too....
Old September 26th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #53
nazrey

The games ceremony in the region.

Last edited by nazrey; September 28th, 2004 at 03:40 AM.
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:29 AM   #54
nazrey

Last edited by nazrey; September 28th, 2004 at 03:42 AM.
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #55
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 10

Taken from Menara KL of Stadium Negara

baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #56
Blabbyboy
Melbourne Zealot

Likes (Received): 4

has stadium negara been upgraded?
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #57
Blabbyboy
Melbourne Zealot

Likes (Received): 4

i think the "sails" at bukit jalil is a great idea - efficient and effective! should be used much more often in urban areas in m'sia! and shah alam stadium is really nice, but it's such a shame that it's always been underutilised and after only 10 years, it's already deteriorating.

1. many people say bukit jalil (another beautiful stadium) has become a "white elephant" but clearly it has played a role in making shah alam stadium a "white elephant" - what do people think of this? stadium australia which hosted the sydney 2000 olympics also has a similar problem now - become a "white (at least grey) elephant". a stadium that was built to be the world's largest stadium in the 1960s in melbourne's outer east, Waverley Park, was recently demolished for housing recently without ever being completed (its maximum capacity was i think about 90,000 but not sure).

2. brings me to my next issue - stadium merdeka - an important part of m'sia's heritage/modern history. what happened to the plans for its demolition and redevelopment? clearly it is in a bad shape - what can or should be done about the situation, or do you favour demolition? in fact, many foreign websites and travel books say that TAR declared merdeka in dataran merdeka - which is not correct, in fact, only the british flag was lowered in dataran merdeka and replaced with the m'sian flag (does anyone remember how did the name "jalur gemilang" come up, which was quite recent?)

3. maintenance of public and even private buildings (like many hotels that are beautiful when they open but no maintenance) seems to be a problem in m'sia - is that a fair comment, what do people think?

I just want to hear opinions and stimulate some debate - please don't be offended!
Old October 29th, 2004, 04:03 AM   #58
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbyboy
has stadium negara been upgraded?

nope
Old October 29th, 2004, 04:09 AM   #59
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
i think the "sails" at bukit jalil is a great idea - efficient and effective! should be used much more often in urban areas in m'sia! and shah alam stadium is really nice, but it's such a shame that it's always been underutilised and after only 10 years, it's already deteriorating.

I think you're referring to the 'stretch membrane' which is prominently used at the National Sports Complex. These stretch membrane are very expensive and usually they involve precision engineering to have em stretched to cover whatever they need to cover. That is the reason why its adaptation had been slow although it is very practical in the hot climate of ours. Furthermore, stretch membrane need very little maintenance which is great for lazy bum owners!

Nevertheless ....more and more such stretch membrane structures are erected city-wide recently and even one 'mamak' has it!

As for Shah Alam Stadium......it could be blamed to the authorities and the company which manages it for its neglect. No matter how great a structure is - once neglected......it would deteriorate fast. So I just hope that the Selangor govt would live up to their words of keeping the stadium in top shape in the near future

Last edited by szehoong; October 29th, 2004 at 04:28 AM.
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 04:27 AM   #60
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:

1. many people say bukit jalil (another beautiful stadium) has become a "white elephant" but clearly it has played a role in making shah alam stadium a "white elephant" - what do people think of this? stadium australia which hosted the sydney 2000 olympics also has a similar problem now - become a "white (at least grey) elephant". a stadium that was built to be the world's largest stadium in the 1960s in melbourne's outer east, Waverley Park, was recently demolished for housing recently without ever being completed (its maximum capacity was i think about 90,000 but not sure).

2. brings me to my next issue - stadium merdeka - an important part of m'sia's heritage/modern history. what happened to the plans for its demolition and redevelopment? clearly it is in a bad shape - what can or should be done about the situation, or do you favour demolition? in fact, many foreign websites and travel books say that TAR declared merdeka in dataran merdeka - which is not correct, in fact, only the british flag was lowered in dataran merdeka and replaced with the m'sian flag (does anyone remember how did the name "jalur gemilang" come up, which was quite recent?)

Well.....many people don't realised that the fact the stadium hasn't been a white elephant after the Commonwealth Games. It had held numerous events since then and regularly, it host many school sports and concerts as it isn't expensive to rent it.

It may not be fully booked every day and night but it is being used by numerous event and some of these events managed to fill up all 100,000 seats like the Evangelical Gathering organised by the Council Of Churches of Malaysia a few years back.

I am not too sure about Stadium Australia (Telstra Stadium now) take-up but when I last visited there a few years back, the tour guide said that it had only held like a few major events so far and nothing even in smaller scale. Maybe that had changed I dunno

On to Stadium Merdeka.....well......there is a thread in our forums not too long ago which many forumers had stated their opinion on wether it should be demolished for Plaza Merdeka but unfortunately the thread could have been deleted after remaining dormant.

ANyway many here in the forums would like to see the stadiums be preserved - both Stadium Merdeka and Stadium Negara. There's even a public outcry a couple of years back when Renong wanted to demolish the stadiums to built Renong City (later renamed Plaza Merdeka). The govt stepped in and assure that these historical jewels wouldn't be demolished. Judging from my last visit there not too long ago, Stadium Merdeka needed a new coat of paint and a little sprucing up...nothing major - it is nevertheless is still a busy venue. Recently we've seen Mariah Carey and Linkin Park performing there

Yea....you're right that Tunku Abdul Rahman did declare and proclaim our independence at Stadium Merdeka and not Dataran Merdeka. Dataran Merdeka as you've pointed out is just a symbolic lowering of the Union Jack and the raise of the Malaysian Flag (now named the Jalur Gemilang).

Jalur Gemilang came if I am not mistaken back in 1996 ....or izzit around the time Datuk Mansor Azhar did the solo circumnavigation .......I forgot but not too long ago there is an article in the papers on the origin of the name. All I know is that it is known as Jalur Gemilang only in the late 90s
Advertisement