Crossrail stations & associated works | Various sites | London | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > London Transport Forum

London Transport Forum For transport and infrastructure in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #21
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1539

For this amount of money the stations should be and can be extraordinary. I must believe then that their design is merely a work in progress, with these submitted designs pure indicators of terminal locations, massing and an example of design.

It's no surprise the capital of Crossrail's Isle of Dogs station is inspiring, but I hope the other stations are afforded the proper attention too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #22
fitz44

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellolazyness View Post
This Bond Street render is seriously crap. Aren't they redeveloping the Hog in the Pound also? There was a render somewhere about it. :/
This was part of the Bond Street Station congestion relief scheme and would probably come under the heading of associated works- it remains to be seen if they will continue with an exit here at all. The less well defined renders such as Bond St and Farringdon will probably end up looking nothing like that in reality.
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #23
jimbo

Likes (Received): 15

isn't a lot of this still quite preliminary in terms of the designs? Having lived in Ealing, the Broadway station will be superb, ditto changes to TCR and the Isle of Dogs.

So should we start to post images of each of these stations under development here? Any chance we could merge it with the thread set up for Tottenham Court Road?
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #24
hellolazyness

Likes (Received): 114

But some of the stations deserve thier own threads I would think this thread would be best for the more minor ones. No?
hellolazyness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #25
hellolazyness

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post
This was part of the Bond Street Station congestion relief scheme and would probably come under the heading of associated works- it remains to be seen if they will continue with an exit here at all. The less well defined renders such as Bond St and Farringdon will probably end up looking nothing like that in reality.
I suspected as much.
hellolazyness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #26
fitz44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellolazyness View Post
But some of the stations deserve thier own threads I would think this thread would be best for the more minor ones. No?
From a practical point of view (i.e. those of us who post a lot of update pictures) it's much easier to have them all located in a single thread. I think you'll find that very quickly the emphasis will be on the more central stations anyway - say Paddington to Isle of Dogs which is only seven stations.
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #27
ismail

Likes (Received): 70

I wish i could invent a time machine, then I could send all the moaning twats who make negative comments on anything that threatens to make London look like amodern city, back to the 19th century where they think London should still be.

What would you rather do with £16bn, build a world class infastructure project, or fund a mismanaged bank so it can pay it's staff bonus's for the next year?
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #28
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2481

Some of those comments were quite positive, like whoever mentioned a link between North and South (Euston-Waterloo would be massively benificial) and the MUCH NEEDED Picc-Vicc tunnels in Manchester.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #29
N1

Likes (Received): 0

It dosent look like there is a common theme for these station designs?? I was hoping they would get a common style or identity - just like the station along the JLE have. And Id be happy to see them continue the JLE style actually. They manage to be unique and still unified by a common theme, confident without dominating, modern and timeless. Absolutely world class.

I dont mind paying my taxes if it goes towards this sort of quality.
N1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #30
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10319

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
I dont mind paying my taxes if it goes towards this sort of quality.
If only most people felt that way.

The biggest problem with this project is that many of these designs have been knocking around for years, some even before the JLE. Luckily some have been redesigned, Isle of Dogs for example but only after Canary Wharf stumped up a load of cash to actually make a landmark of the station. A lot of the older designs simply have become dated before they've even been built.

One of the biggest issues is unlike the JLE there is no one 'overseer' of design. The JLE had specific design briefs for the project, in that whilst each station was different, there were overall elements that remained the same, for example finishes on surfaces, lifts, the platform doors, exposed concrete, etc. The whole project was under control of Roland Paoletti, chief London Underground architect, who worked with the architects. This Crossrail project barely involves the architects, but is more the engineers building what is designed.

Lastly, budget has had a major factor in the designs. They have been value engineered, and it shows. Whilst the budget sounds huge, a lot of it had to be cut back simply to get through Parliament. Crossrail is more Victoria line than Jubilee Line extension.

More about it all here http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3105136
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #31
darrense14

I think it's fantastic that Crossrail is finally under way. I had said over the past few years that i wouldn't believe it would ever get built until i actually saw the sceme under construction, so i guess i'll have to take those words back.

The only complaint i have - i think it's a shame the Astoria and the group of buildings on the corner of Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street have to be demolished, but that's progress i guess.
darrense14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #32
ghost101

A shame the tories will cancel the whole thing when they get in power. Fiscal austerity.
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #33
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 28

be a bit too late by then?
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #34
fitz44

The Conservatives cancelling the project is not very likely;

http://www.nce.co.uk/crossrail-faces...202027.article

A Conservative Party spokesman said of the proposed review: “We are not talking about specific projects. We have set out examples of projects we will cut. And we have clearly set out our principles: that all programmes must demonstrate value for money, and we will be seeking to get value for money in all spending. We will set out more detail in due course.”

“There is no change to our position that Crossrail is an important piece of infrastructure for London. That is why we backed it,” he said.

This week outgoing Crossrail chairman Doug Oakervee told NCE that cancelling Crossrail would have no immediate benefit to the Treasury, as very little of the early spending is centrally funded (see below).

A source involved in bids for Crossrail funds agreed, saying: “It would benefit the Treasury if they pulled back the funding committed to the long term transport fund. But most of the Crossrail funding doesn’t come direct from the Treasury anyway.”

Nevertheless, Canary Wharf is ploughing ahead with the £500M Isle of Dogs station.

Underwritten by TfL
GLA £3.5bn
TfL core contribution £2.7bn
London Underground ‘interface savings’ £0.4bn
Sale of surplus land and property £0.5bn
Developer contributions £0.3bn
London Planning Charge £0.3bn

Underwritten by DFT
DfT grant £5.1bn
BAA/City of London Corp £0.5bn
Network Rail £2.3bn
Depot operating lease £0.5bn
Additional City of London £0.1bn
Less residual costs £0.4 bn

Total £15.9bn
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #35
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 28

that is one hell of an expensive station. i suppose it includes a certain amount of track and platform not just the ticketing halls and retail areas.
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #36
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 348

The crucial question is, will Crossrail be a 24hr service?
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #37
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2481

I doubt it, it's single track per tube. Unless they provide passing loops and run a reduced service in one tunnel when the tube closes. (would be a good solution to the 24 Tube issue actually if they could build the passing loops cost effectively).
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #38
london lad

Likes (Received): 3595

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
If only most people felt that way.

The biggest problem with this project is that many of these designs have been knocking around for years, some even before the JLE. Luckily some have been redesigned, Isle of Dogs for example but only after Canary Wharf stumped up a load of cash to actually make a landmark of the station. A lot of the older designs simply have become dated before they've even been built.

One of the biggest issues is unlike the JLE there is no one 'overseer' of design. The JLE had specific design briefs for the project, in that whilst each station was different, there were overall elements that remained the same, for example finishes on surfaces, lifts, the platform doors, exposed concrete, etc. The whole project was under control of Roland Paoletti, chief London Underground architect, who worked with the architects. This Crossrail project barely involves the architects, but is more the engineers building what is designed.

Lastly, budget has had a major factor in the designs. They have been value engineered, and it shows. Whilst the budget sounds huge, a lot of it had to be cut back simply to get through Parliament. Crossrail is more Victoria line than Jubilee Line extension.

More about it all here http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3105136
They have actually set up design panels and there will have a certain amount of standardisation. The actual stations will not be U/C for few years yet so the final designs are not set in stone yet. Hopefully they will see sense and not cut costs.

CABE will review the station designs.
http://www.cabe.org.uk/design-review/crossrail

Also
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...rycode=3136455
Aedas, BDP in the running for Crossrail design contract

18 March, 2009

By David Rogers

Four firms are competing for one of the first architectural contracts to be let under the huge Crossrail design framework.

Atkins, Mott MacDonald, Aedas and BDP are all chasing C100, better known as the ‘architectural component design contract’ which carries a price tag of around £5 million.

The work will involve ensuring standardisation of fixtures and fittings across a series of new stations planned for the main central London section of the £16 billion Crossrail development including Paddington, Bond Street and Farringdon.

Tender documents, which were sent out earlier this month, will go back to Crossrail’s Canary Wharf headquarters in east London on April 3 with the winning team due to be announced at the beginning of May.

The four bidders are part of a dozen strong framework chosen to compete for packages of work on the project, including tunnels and shafts, stations and railways systems.

Of the 12 firms, only Aedas and BDP are dedicated architectural practices with the remainder multi-disciplinary consultants.

Meanwhile, Cabe held its first meeting of the panel set up to review designs for seven rail stations on the project.

The 12-strong panel, chaired by Les Sparks, met at the end of last month and is due to hold its next meeting later this spring.

As well as assessing the designs for the exterior of station buildings, entrances and ticket halls, the panel will also look at issues such as aesthetic quality, how the proposed buildings relate to their surroundings and quality of materials.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #39
delores

Likes (Received): 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
I agree. Its a mixture actually because Canary wharf, Tottenham Court road Stations are pretty good. Whitechapel is innofensive too but there is also some really medioucre stuff in there,

Bond street is the usuall glass box which is guaranteed to crop up in a batch of projects. there is always going to be some architect totally bereft of ideas or creativity try and pull the old 'clean lines crystaline form' story out of the bag.

Paddington is apalling. The archtiects is clearly trying to challenge Euston in the ugly stakes.
I think paddington's rather interesting, but again it's early day's, these type of projects change enormously.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #40
fitz44

Because this has been hanging around for nearly two decades now there are earlier station designs by various firms, many of whom are no longer involved. It will be interesting to compare the changes a few years can make. (some of the images are from thumbnails so quality is a bit ropey I'm afraid)

Alsop & Stormer's early Paddington Station design (they later toned it down);

Macaslan's design for Dean St;

Hopkin's at Tottenham Court Road;

Jestico & While's at Farringdon;

Wilkinson Eyre at Liverpool Street;

In addition Allies & Morrison's Hanover Square design is still on their website (under projects/infrastructure);http://www.alliesandmorrison.co.uk/

They also explored the possibility of additional exits in Hanover Square;

I think Ian Ritchie designed the first Isle of Dogs Station but I can't find any images yet.
Advertisement

Tags
london