Globe Works | Cliveland Street | Student Accommodation | 10fl | Comp. - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2019, 05:31 PM   #281
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14706

Really liking the look of this one, the colour of the brickwork really compliments the surroundings.

Globe Works by ReissOmari, on Flickr

(Whoops, the camera didn't like this angle, sorry about the lighting)

Love the Cliveland St elevation, very classy.

Mish mash of builds around the area, give the Gun Quarter some character which is nice.

Now to the Canal - They've put fences up, I'm guessing this is to stop trespassing from the Canal, doesn't look bad at all though.

ReissOmari está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2019, 09:59 PM   #282
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3691

Brilliant.
Reminds me of the crocodile works in Newtown.
Old August 9th, 2019, 03:21 PM   #283
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
Brilliant.
Reminds me of the crocodile works in Newtown.
Crocodile Works is stunning, I love the integration of the historic and contemporary, a real high quality architectural triumph. Anything similar is

Bear Would Ian, Mosleyan liked this post
jonfsnow está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 09:02 PM   #284
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Just need to get some proper lighting on the canal path now, with all these developments on this side of the canal, it really needs some safety measures. I think the lighting starts at Snowhill, but from there down towards the Aston Expressway, it's just darkness.
Old August 28th, 2019, 08:57 PM   #285
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Cliveland St.

Old October 23rd, 2019, 06:27 PM   #286
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4315

Mosleyan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 08:43 PM   #287
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Absolutely love this development, for some reason the “Globeworks” signage was refused by BCC, that’s the reason why the brackets have just been left on the building, strange as a new advertisement screen has gone up opposite, and there’s high level signage on Bagot St and Staniforth House.

Also, I thought they’d remove the wall facing the car park, along with the boards above, it looks awful with all the graffiti on it, and there’s a random mental fence in front of the new retail unit too, not sure if it’s completed or if they’ll be back to take down the boards along with the mental fence.

Apart from that, highly rate this development, hope to see more like it.

Typhoon2000, GAZ liked this post
Old October 27th, 2019, 12:06 PM   #288
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7958

What is the car park for? Public use or?

Hope we see the retail unit open soon
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2019, 10:08 PM   #289
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2169

The hoardings and that awful wall surely must be coming down, I imagine the wall created a natural security barrier during the build and would be coming down by now, and thought the car park was kept just to earn some money again during the build time, and would be replaced by a nice bit of frontage or greenery, leading to the retail unit.The building will seem cut off if it remains
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 12:14 AM   #290
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4700

I didn't think the developers owned the car park. If they do, wouldn't it have been better to build a larger development that fronted the main road.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 12:31 AM   #291
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Absolutely love this development, for some reason the “Globeworks” signage was refused by BCC, that’s the reason why the brackets have just been left on the building, strange as a new advertisement screen has gone up opposite, and there’s high level signage on Bagot St and Staniforth House.

Also, I thought they’d remove the wall facing the car park, along with the boards above, it looks awful with all the graffiti on it, and there’s a random mental fence in front of the new retail unit too, not sure if it’s completed or if they’ll be back to take down the boards along with the mental fence.

Apart from that, highly rate this development, hope to see more like it.
There was a councillor on the planning committee that thought all these logos looked too crass and objected to them going up the sides of walls or making them too big. If I remember rightly it was for planning for one of the campus buildings by Millennium Point, the BCU social sciences building I think.

Since then, logos across many of the city buildings have been so small that, at a medium distance they can be very hard to spot. Hampton by Hilton at Broad Street was the start of this trend.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 01:50 AM   #292
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
There was a councillor on the planning committee that thought all these logos looked too crass and objected to them going up the sides of walls or making them too big. If I remember rightly it was for planning for one of the campus buildings by Millennium Point, the BCU social sciences building I think.

Since then, logos across many of the city buildings have been so small that, at a medium distance they can be very hard to spot. Hampton by Hilton at Broad Street was the start of this trend.
A good call. logos are brash.
jonfsnow está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 02:02 AM   #293
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2697

Seems strange as the council can’t refuse an application because the sign is too big. It needs to impact the amenity or safety unless it’s already permitted or outside of direct control. The argument that a sign is too big and so would impact amenity, in an area where there are various sizes of signage, IMO is rather weak.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #294
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14835

Lights on last night, people watching T.V, someone making a curry, windows open like psychopaths...yeah, I think this is finished now

Two more from within https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/...m3!8m2!3m1!1e1

PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement