Old Square | Shopping Centre | Walsall High Street - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2015, 02:00 AM   #21
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5888

Express and Star

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...l-town-centre/

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022

sefton66 liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2015, 12:57 PM   #22
Red Ape

Likes (Received): 289

I note Poundland & B&M Stores are also moving in, will we get to a stage when we will meet a saturation point, where we will see these type of companies either fold or they start scaling back their expansion plans?
Red Ape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 03:37 PM   #23
DBadger
culled

I believe Poundland will be the first to fall. The price point is unsustainable.

As for the idea of a discounter in general: they rely on real stores to be able to stock their overstock and remainders. The Works can't exist without Waterstones and Smiths. Store 21 can't exist without Marks and Spencer. What will happen is as they generally become the only types of stores in the market their stock will dwindle and become largely the same, at which point people will be choosing between different discounters based on what good stock they have different to each other, at which point they will grow to become viable retailers.

Marks and Spencer and Woolworths both started out as this kind of discount store, after all, and now are staples of the High Street (one admittedly now gone).

Poundland haven't broken their price point, but Poundworld have, with DiscountUK and Bargain Buys providing their way out of it. But I believe these shops will grow to become the Woolworths' of the future as people look to choose between multiple identical retailers.

Take Llanelli High Street in South Wales, whose only large stores are DiscountUK, Home Bargains, B&M, and more of those types of retailer. There will come a point where people have to choose between them on their variety and quality rather than their cheapness. At that point a Marks will move in, or one will become a Marks.

That's just my naive view anyway.

Red Ape liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2015, 04:34 PM   #24
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8030

Poundland is here to stay, the volumes they shift is immense

Obviously expansion will slow down but there's still a lot of market for them, I notice they recently got dealt a blow for selling dvds out of the price range and has been forced to remove from stores, I can see them going for a general discount brand for higher value goods in the future

They'll always be able to sell confectionary, cleaning products, cheap toys etc. for the £1 and that's what draws people in
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #25
Red Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Poundland is here to stay, the volumes they shift is immense

Obviously expansion will slow down but there's still a lot of market for them, I notice they recently got dealt a blow for selling dvds out of the price range and has been forced to remove from stores, I can see them going for a general discount brand for higher value goods in the future

They'll always be able to sell confectionary, cleaning products, cheap toys etc. for the £1 and that's what draws people in
If the are stuck with the £ limit, as times go on the quantity of something they sell will get smaller. Sort of inflation without the cost going up, but paying more for a smaller weight.
Old April 24th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #26
Spaceman!

Likes (Received): 190

They may struggle eventually, but in an era of austerity and more people having to use foodbanks to survive, I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

Red Ape liked this post
Spaceman! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #27
Red Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
I thought it was about time we had a thread for this.

Two separate schemes that come together as one:

- Old Square shopping centre: demolition followed by construction of a Primark store and Coop Food store; refurbishment and partial rebuilding of the shopping centre.
- Demolition of shops and a multistorey car park across the road from it, rebuilt as larger shops.

This is well underway now, with the Primark store due to open this year.

Express and Star

Walsall Advertiser

Walsall Advertiser

Nikki Nahal via Twitter

And across the road:

Right Move

Express and Star

Walsall Advertiser

All the old shops for this development to go ahead have been boarded up awaiting to be demolished

DBadger liked this post
Old August 1st, 2015, 11:50 PM   #28
DBadger
culled

Primark Walsall opens on Thursday!

If you consider West Bromwich was a concept store, to reveal the new fittings and fixtures, well, Walsall is the next concept up, with entirely new innovations including open plan staff rooms, seating for customers, etc. You'll see on the day. Exciting.

Old August 1st, 2015, 11:53 PM   #29
DBadger
culled

Demotix.com

Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:49 AM   #30
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8030

Open plan staff rooms
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 05:39 AM   #31
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14817

It looks nice, West Brom Primark external cladding is amazng, but the interior is very boring for a 'concept' store, id call concept, Manchester, Newcastle or Oxford Street East, if the Walsall one will live up to those, hats off, we shall see.

Has there been any move on Co-Op?
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:56 PM   #32
Red Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
It looks nice, West Brom Primark external cladding is amazng, but the interior is very boring for a 'concept' store, id call concept, Manchester, Newcastle or Oxford Street East, if the Walsall one will live up to those, hats off, we shall see.

Has there been any move on Co-Op?
I've been in the WB store a few times, I do wonder whether it would have been better on two floors because I find it all bit cramped inside with stock on one level.
As for the Walsall Primark, I never expect anything outlandish in Walsall. A bit like the art gallery, I'm told how good it is inside, but the outside IMO terrible
Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:59 PM   #33
DBadger
culled

There is a second sales floor (as shown in the planning apps), it's just not used yet. I think they're watching sales and seeing how it goes.

Old August 5th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #34
DBadger
culled

Oh my god...

I can't even begin to describe how different this store is to what I'm used to. It's beautiful. Customers from Wolverhampton or Birmingham will be in for a shock.

Well done Walsall, you've really upped your game. I can't believe that something like this is on that High Street. OK, it's Primark, but what a Primark...

Coop is still in development and I think it's going to be rather disappointing to follow this.

Old August 5th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #35
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14817

I take it, it's better than West Brom then?

Primark really have upped there game with store designs though, the one in Birmingham is so bland and overcrowded!
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #36
DBadger
culled

From a back room perspective it outshines West Brom, there's a huge amount of interior design gone on there (staff canteen is a self serve cafe rather than a bland grey room) and it is so welcoming. As for the sales floor itself, it is much easier to navigate than West Brom at least. There are various little changes to POS and fixtures that help, and little innovations here and there, but overall it's just the general layout that is beast, compared to West Brom which can feel a little like the departments are bleeding into one another, with a narrow aisle-like layout.

I'd say the only thing Wolverhampton trumps it on is stock room: a remnant of the old Littlewoods is that we inherited an immense stock room that's essentially a whole floor of the shop. Custom-built Primark stores don't tend to do that - based on the (logical) principle that if it's in stock it ought to be out and purchasable. It means for some things Wolvo might be more likely to have back stock, such as formal wear (but that can also be a burden).

The main thing about Walsall is it's square. Wolverhampton is an old 1960s Littlewoods/Index combo, with restaurant, index stockroom, and other back rooms all repurposed - which means we can't fit as much in for the same square footage and it can be a little awkward to navigate at times. Birmingham similarly, although I'm not sure what it was before Primark, but it's certainly not square.

I haven't spent too much time in West Brom if I'm honest, but I think Walsall trumps it slightly.

As for the rest of Walsall by the way, the only other thing I noticed was the Food Hub has been created in the Saddler's Centre... which consists of about six tables, a duplicate Burger King, and a Subway... that's it. TJ Hughes has coming soon signs up though, although annoyingly they've branded it "TJ Hughes Discount Store".

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #37
DBadger
culled

Oh, that's the other thing: all the shops are boarded up for this:

Express and Star

But as of yet have not been demolished.

Old August 6th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #38
Red Ape

Here's the report on Primark opening with photo's

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...ns-in-walsall/
Old August 6th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #39
Red Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
Oh, that's the other thing: all the shops are boarded up for this:

Express and Star

But as of yet have not been demolished.
This is Walsall, everything takes twice as long
Old August 6th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #40
DBadger
culled

Mike Bird (opened the store) said it should start next month.

Fantastic day.

Completely different standards to what I'm used to. Everything has to be so perfect. But it works - I picked one item of clothing off the floor today on a ten hour shift. People are polite, and look after the clothes.

I was on the first floor though.

Absolutely beautiful store. My ghast is flabbering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement