The Mercian | Broad Street | Residential/Commercial | 42fl | 132m | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #21
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4822

I`m dying to know which site it is.

Hopefully, it`s Exchange Square.

Hopefully, it`s a thousand units.

Hopefully, it`ll start by 2016.

Hopefully, it`ll kickstart more PRS in Birmingham.
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2015, 02:10 AM   #22
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2114

I'd hope it is a new scheme somewhere that doesn't already have something planned for it. Exchange Square will happen eventually before HS2 arrives.

Is the Mclaren building being converted to residential as part of Exchange Square? It needs that horrid brown cladding replaced. Birmingham said there would be 5 towers on the proposals thread. 5 new, or 4 and Mclaren?
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #23
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
I'd hope it is a new scheme somewhere that doesn't already have something planned for it. Exchange Square will happen eventually before HS2 arrives.

Is the Mclaren building being converted to residential as part of Exchange Square? It needs that horrid brown cladding replaced. Birmingham said there would be 5 towers on the proposals thread. 5 new, or 4 and Mclaren?

I see where you`re coming from BC Al but think of the other schemes that were promised and then bit the dust. It`d be good to see Exchange Square built in the near future before it gets watered down to a pair of semis and a row of townhouses!!!!

I thought it was four new residential towers only and had no idea that the McLaren tower was to be included in the site. Either way, it`d be good to see it get a reclad of some sort. It`d be great in fact. Maybe upgraded to Grade A office space or converted to a hotel.

Perhaps though, Moda could be looking at a site that has been mentioned by someone else that is close to Holloway Head or even at St Lukes. There were plans in 2011/12 for approximately four hundred private rental properties somewhere in the St Lukes site but it never came off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2015, 02:41 AM   #24
annabarbosa

Likes (Received): 1

thanks,,,
annabarbosa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #25
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Being on the doorstep of HS2, there is less chance of this being watered down, with Martineau Galleries now to be offices, you can't live much closer to the station than here.

I'd like to see development of the old car park behind the library. A 40 storey tower here to add to the density of AC and PC, or ACPC as they are known collectively.
Old May 18th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #26
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
Being on the doorstep of HS2, there is less chance of this being watered down, with Martineau Galleries now to be offices, you can't live much closer to the station than here.

I'd like to see development of the old car park behind the library. A 40 storey tower here to add to the density of AC and PC, or ACPC as they are known collectively.

We don`t know Martineau Galleries is to be offices though. I`m still hoping for a quality retail offer there.

Yeah, the old car park would be a good place for a substantial tower.
Old May 18th, 2015, 03:06 AM   #27
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabarbosa View Post
thanks,,,

Hello and welcome annabarbosa but you`ve got me curious....thanks for what?
Old May 18th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #28
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

My guess is it's an existing scheme.
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #29
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 783

I hope it's a new scheme and I hope it breaks the barrier.
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:58 AM   #30
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2709

Didn't the Council just have an application for a private rented housing development by Barclay Card Arena???

Maybe they will take that site. It seems the most logical as planning if i remember is approved, the Council won't have to run the site and will gain some money in the lease or sale of the land.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #31
rafter1

Likes (Received): 64

I would love to see that rusty red cage demolished and see the tower built there, which I estimate to be approximately the centre of the city centre.
rafter1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #32
joshwebb
User Registered

We do love getting ahead of ourselves.

djay, RalphGuy liked this post
Old May 18th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #33
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Er, do I detect a sardonic sense of humour or just sheer frustration?

Or both?

That would be both 😇
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #34
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8028

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Didn't the Council just have an application for a private rented housing development by Barclay Card Arena???

Maybe they will take that site. It seems the most logical as planning if i remember is approved, the Council won't have to run the site and will gain some money in the lease or sale of the land.
That site will be developed by the council, they've set up a new department to get a portfolio of prs schemes built and then ee invest the money made in future schemes
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #35
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8028

Holloway circus/smallbrook wueensway remaining corner?
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #36
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2709

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
That site will be developed by the council, they've set up a new department to get a portfolio of prs schemes built and then ee invest the money made in future schemes
I know that was the initial plan, just seems convenient that once planning permission was granted, here comes a service provider looking for a site....

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #37
joshwebb
User Registered

Seeing as the Manchester tower will be 36 storeys and the liverpool tower will be 40 storeys should we presume something around 45 storeys and then the south east tower to be about 50 storeys? I bet it will be in London.
Old May 19th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #38
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

I think it will be something to do with Eastside ... possibly the HS2 station.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 12:29 AM   #39
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwebb View Post
Seeing as the Manchester tower will be 36 storeys and the liverpool tower will be 40 storeys should we presume something around 45 storeys and then the south east tower to be about 50 storeys? I bet it will be in London.

4.5 storeys is more like it.
Old May 19th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #40
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Well if you go on pre recession proposals, we generally had taller than the north, plus Beetham in Birmingham should have been the tallest outside of London before it was downscaled.

The recession has turned the tables in Manchester's favour, plus the added bonus of the Northern powerhouse in the future, hopefully HS2 can bring us on a par with them. Greater Birmingham could be left behind or even grow to be bigger than Greater Manchester from in between London and the Northern Powerhouse. Albert Bore needs to rally the troops so we can build the West Midlands into a powerhouse of our own.

We'll still beat them on large office towers in the near future. And you'd think we would have a taller tower than Liverpool's in any case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement