NZ | Politics Thread - Page 82 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > KiwiScrapers

KiwiScrapers Kia Kaha » Auckland | Wellington | Christchurch | Hamilton | Regional Cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2020, 04:26 AM   #1621
Robnobbob

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterclub View Post
What are the policies from each main party to address this? What do YOU think we should do?
The cost of houses here is very very high (80m2 two bed room 1 bathroom new terraced house in Papakura is around $525,000) that's $6500m2 be interesting to compare this to other countries.

A 7 year experienced union Carpenter in NYC earns including benefits but excluding overtime 150k a year.

Here around 60 % of new builds in Papakura / Takanini are being done by Indian / Chinese labour who would struggle to be on more than $35 an hour. Someone is making huge amounts of money.

Land is close to a $1000 m2 for new sections , council development contributions are around 25k per unit, so if your removing 1 house on a 1032m2 section and looking to replace with 7 terraced units your up for well over 100k , cost of water connection and metre is around 7k.

How you lower land costs, compliance costs and material costs is i'd say dam near impossible.
Robnobbob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2020, 04:34 AM   #1622
Robnobbob

January 23rd is World Holocaust Memorial Day and the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

You would think New Zealand would send someone.

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2020/01/w...d_missing.html
Old January 21st, 2020, 09:18 AM   #1623
Molokai

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
So more jobs, despite unemployment being very low is going to magically create houses that don't exist?

I earn a s**tload and can't buy a house
No. Focus on growing the economy first, then better jobs come. Its not just about unemployment, its about creating better, higher earning jobs.

Currently we have a lot of highly skilled people coming out of university having no work to go into besides mediocre kind of work.

What is a "shitload salary" these days? I dont earn a shitload, but my wife and I saved nearly 10 years to buy our house 3 years ago. We sacrificed a lot during that time of saving and it was hard. But possible.

Peka Peka to Otaki SH1 Project: See the progress here
Molokai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 09:36 AM   #1624
Molokai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnobbob View Post
The cost of houses here is very very high (80m2 two bed room 1 bathroom new terraced house in Papakura is around $525,000) that's $6500m2 be interesting to compare this to other countries.

A 7 year experienced union Carpenter in NYC earns including benefits but excluding overtime 150k a year.

Here around 60 % of new builds in Papakura / Takanini are being done by Indian / Chinese labour who would struggle to be on more than $35 an hour. Someone is making huge amounts of money.

Land is close to a $1000 m2 for new sections , council development contributions are around 25k per unit, so if your removing 1 house on a 1032m2 section and looking to replace with 7 terraced units your up for well over 100k , cost of water connection and metre is around 7k.

How you lower land costs, compliance costs and material costs is i'd say dam near impossible.
Why not buy a Fixer Upper? The bonus is that the houses are normally quiet a lot bigger, and the sections can still big enough for some summer cricket in the back yard.

I could never move into one of those new houses they build here on 300-400m2 sections. Friends of ours paid a shitload for their place. Its just too small.

Buying new in my opinion is a big waste of money.

Old January 22nd, 2020, 12:31 PM   #1625
KaneD

Likes (Received): 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai View Post
Why not buy a Fixer Upper? The bonus is that the houses are normally quiet a lot bigger, and the sections can still big enough for some summer cricket in the back yard.

I could never move into one of those new houses they build here on 300-400m2 sections. Friends of ours paid a shitload for their place. Its just too small.

Buying new in my opinion is a big waste of money.
I think it largely depends on whether you (a) have the time necessary to chip away at fixing up a fixer-up-er... and (b) whether one has the money/skill to actually do the work.

Definitely a good idea for those with time up their sleeve, and who are quite resourceful with their handyman skills... and is happy with some compromises that come with trying to "do it on the cheap"...

But otherwise, a busy person working full time, raising kids, and commuting for 2+ hours per day... might not be so easy to do.
KaneD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2020, 12:32 AM   #1626
JeffRef

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneD View Post
I think it largely depends on whether you (a) have the time necessary to chip away at fixing up a fixer-up-er... and (b) whether one has the money/skill to actually do the work.

Definitely a good idea for those with time up their sleeve, and who are quite resourceful with their handyman skills... and is happy with some compromises that come with trying to "do it on the cheap"...

But otherwise, a busy person working full time, raising kids, and commuting for 2+ hours per day... might not be so easy to do.
My grandfather built his own house but it would not be possible today since much of the plumbing and electrical work has to be done by registered tradesmen. If you do not have the "ticket" you are not allowed to touch it.
You also have to watch out for the various Council consents required in major work, so you could need legal skills as well.
Incidentally my grandfather's house was over one hundred years old when it was demolished to make way for a new commercial building and had survived major earthquakes unlike some modern buildings!
JeffRef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2020, 07:11 AM   #1627
Robnobbob

Surely Shane's PGF can be put to use to save theses jobs?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/119...mill-may-close
Old January 24th, 2020, 05:07 AM   #1628
Molokai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneD View Post
Is this not part of the problem? The mindset? Its not suppose to be easy!

Sacrificing for a home has never been easy. I feel many people nowadays (not all) feel entitled to a home without making lots of sacrifices. They expect it to be easy.

Old January 24th, 2020, 05:15 AM   #1629
Molokai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRef View Post
My grandfather built his own house but it would not be possible today since much of the plumbing and electrical work has to be done by registered tradesmen. If you do not have the "ticket" you are not allowed to touch it.
You also have to watch out for the various Council consents required in major work, so you could need legal skills as well.
This is so true. I feel that most of the high costs to buying a home these days is due to all the H&S Rules etc. Scaffolding for example is a huge cost and is mandatory for any work on a roof. Even replacing/fixing leaking gutter pipes. Something that should cost a homeowner very little skyrockets now due to the legal requirement for scaffolding. Then factor in the high minimum wage, the high cost of compliance certificates etc ... And the cost per m2 to build just balloons..

Old January 25th, 2020, 02:18 AM   #1630
gutterclub

Likes (Received): 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai View Post
Is this not part of the problem? The mindset? Its not suppose to be easy!

Sacrificing for a home has never been easy. I feel many people nowadays (not all) feel entitled to a home without making lots of sacrifices. They expect it to be easy.
Yeah definitely down to millennial's eating too many Avocados and nothing to do with the huge divide between income and housing price which continually climbs upwards...but it's all good, you can't argue with the Grey Power brigade but luckily their power is slowly fading.
gutterclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2020, 02:37 AM   #1631
Robnobbob

I'm sorry last year was the Liebor year of delivery

37,000 more on benefits.
16,000 more on a benefit for over a year.
22% in those on job seeker benefit.
30% increase in maori & Pacifka job seeker benefit levels
15,000 more children living in benefit dependant homes.

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz

OnetermArdern
Old January 25th, 2020, 11:47 PM   #1632
Robnobbob

More Liebor Defence stuff ups for sale.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/119...oured-vehicles

Any one want to buy 30 LAV's?

OnetermAdern
Old January 26th, 2020, 01:10 AM   #1633
JeffRef

Quote:
More Liebor Defence stuff ups for sale.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/119...oured-vehicles

Any one want to buy 30 LAV's?

OnetermAdern
The only reason they are for sale is because National cut the Army! The LAVs replaced the old M113 on a one for one basis so if fewer are needed today there had to be a reason?. Gotta pay for Shonkey's golf fees somehow!

Bear in mind these vehicles are used by Australia, Canada and the US (who call them the Stryker) and you can see what "bad" vehicles they are. Presumably National would buy Chinese in preference, since they are such good friends?

The other inaccuracy by the National idiot who wrote this junk was that the F16's were going to be bought which was impossible because Pakistan owned them not the US. The US in fact wanted to LEASE them as it had tried to do with other countries like Taiwan and the Philippines but they refused as well since the US had no clear title. Evidently they had more brains than National.

Kiweh liked this post
Old January 26th, 2020, 05:26 PM   #1634
Rob73

Likes (Received): 451

The NZLAV is not the same as the AUSLAV, we didn't have anywhere near 105 operational M113's when the NZLAV was bought. 105 LAV's were bought because the idea at the time was to turn the NZ Army into a mounted infantry, this didn't happen so we ended up with too many.

The F16 was a 10 year lease deal with the option to buy at the end, you honestly thinjk the US really gave a crap about what Pakistan thought about it. Those 28 aircraft ended up in US service as aggressor training aircraft.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2020, 11:09 PM   #1635
Molokai

Quote:
Yeah definitely down to millennial's eating too many Avocados and nothing to do with the huge divide between income and housing price which continually climbs upwards...but it's all good, you can't argue with the Grey Power brigade but luckily their power is slowly fading.
Funny you think this mindset is limited to 'grey power' only. Not that I support their cause in case you may be thinking I am. I Have a few grey hairs now but am luckily still a few years from 40.

Anyway. I don't know a single homeowner in NZ that wants their property investment to devalue. Do you? All homeowners are actually part of the "problem" then, none of us want the house price to deteriorate. The fact of the matter is that as soon as you enter the property ladder you become part of the problem. Stop trying to single out certain people as being the problem. Thats just being prejudice.

Old January 26th, 2020, 11:24 PM   #1636
Kiweh

Likes (Received): 359

Quote:
I'm sorry last year was the Liebor year of delivery

37,000 more on benefits.
16,000 more on a benefit for over a year.
22% in those on job seeker benefit.
30% increase in maori & Pacifka job seeker benefit levels
15,000 more children living in benefit dependant homes.

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz

OnetermArdern
So...We aren't treating poor people like shit now? Damn how SCANDALOUS of us.
Kiweh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 03:12 AM   #1637
JeffRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
The NZLAV is not the same as the AUSLAV, we didn't have anywhere near 105 operational M113's when the NZLAV was bought. 105 LAV's were bought because the idea at the time was to turn the NZ Army into a mounted infantry, this didn't happen so we ended up with too many.

The F16 was a 10 year lease deal with the option to buy at the end, you honestly thinjk the US really gave a crap about what Pakistan thought about it. Those 28 aircraft ended up in US service as aggressor training aircraft.
NZ Army 1992
5000 Regular
6831 Territorial
11831 Total

78 M113
26 Scorpion Light Tanks
Total 104

LAV purchase to replace both

NZ Army today
4584 Regular
1671 Part time
6255 Total

A wee bit smaller after National?

28 F16's were delivered to Pakistan as the price for access to Pakistan's ports for the Afghan war. Most of these were the originals but were updated gratis by the US from F16A/B to F16C/D. The balance were brand new F16C/Ds which replaced the aircraft crashed or damaged by the US Airforce and Navy.
Wiki has some detail but Janes is better.
Old January 27th, 2020, 07:48 AM   #1638
Royen

Likes (Received): 2494

The Government is set to announce one of the biggest infrastructure packages in New Zealand history with $12 billion worth of spending to be announced this week. Finance Minister Grant Robertson will detail a list of projects up and down the country that will be funded, with a suite of roads, rail, and hospital upgrades expected to be on the list. The package is roughly three times the amount of infrastructure you'd see in an ordinary budget. With borrowing rates at record lows - the Government borrowed $150 million last Thursday, paying just 1.6 per cent in interest - the Government has decided the time is right to invest. But questions are already being asked about whether the money is being spent in the right areas. Roads look set to be the major beneficiary with $6.8 billion earmarked for transport projects. Some are saying the money should be spent on things like improving New Zealand's ailing water infrastructure."That's more investment into infrastructure in one go than most would have seen in a generation," Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told her caucus last week, ahead of a closed-door briefing on the package.

MORE
Royen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 07:55 AM   #1639
gutterclub

Likes (Received): 558

Should just call themselves the National Labour Party
gutterclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 08:51 AM   #1640
Robnobbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRef View Post
NZ Army 1992
5000 Regular
6831 Territorial
11831 Total

78 M113
26 Scorpion Light Tanks
Total 104

LAV purchase to replace both

NZ Army today
4584 Regular
1671 Part time
6255 Total

A wee bit smaller after National?

28 F16's were delivered to Pakistan as the price for access to Pakistan's ports for the Afghan war. Most of these were the originals but were updated gratis by the US from F16A/B to F16C/D. The balance were brand new F16C/Ds which replaced the aircraft crashed or damaged by the US Airforce and Navy.
Wiki has some detail but Janes is better.
Remind me who was the Government for the first 8 of those years between 1992 and today

Rob73 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement