Environmental Protection, Conservation, and Rehabilitation - Page 33 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > The Economy, Industry and Development Issues

The Economy, Industry and Development Issues Current news and events with regards to the economy, industry and urban development issues

Old March 10th, 2019, 05:42 PM   #641
s_w_stars

Likes (Received): 4907

Other than garbage, we have the issue of reclamation. Here is an interesting article, quoting DILG Sec and his Deputy. Grade school science taught us about water displacement, nice example from Epimaco Densing (Thank goodness for people like him in government.)

Quote:
Local Govt chief Año, deputy oppose Manila Bay reclamation project
BY CATHERINE A. MODESTO

MARCH 10, 2019

LOCAL GOVT CHIEF AÑO, DEPUTY OPPOSE MANILA BAY RECLAMATION PROJECT
LOCAL Government Secretary Eduardo Año and his deputy are opposing the Manila Bay reclamation projects for they may end “killing people and destroying properties in Manila Bay.”

“Ako po sa personal, ayaw ko po ng reclamation. Wala pa po ako sa gobyerno, nilalabanan ko na ang reclamation sa Manila Bay. At bumulong si Secretary Año sa akin, ayoko rin ng reclamation (For me personally, I reject reclamation. Even before I entered the government, I was fighting against the Manila Bay reclamation. And Sec. [Eduardo] Año, [the DILG secretary], whispered to me that he’s also against the projects),” said Local and Interior Government Undersecretary Epimaco Densing Jr. in the media forum “Balitaan sa Maynila” on Sunday.
---------------------------------------------------------------
“Napakasimple ng explanation jan, pag baso ng tubig nilagyan mo ng ice, tataas ang tubig.(The explanation there is so simple. If you put ice in a glass of water, the water will overflow. There will be flooding in Metro Manila. That’s a million percent sure), Densing said.

He cited last year’s flooding incident along Roxas Boulevard, which was flooded with garbage.

https://www.manilatimes.net/local-go...roject/523418/

Sky_Higher liked this post
s_w_stars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2019, 04:14 AM   #642
Parchie

Likes (Received): 2764

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_w_stars View Post
Other than garbage, we have the issue of reclamation. Here is an interesting article, quoting DILG Sec and his Deputy. Grade school science taught us about water displacement, nice example from Epimaco Densing (Thank goodness for people like him in government.)
The Netherlands has been doing that since birth! Why can't you do it in a smaller scale? Your guy (and others who oppose reclamation projects) are misinformed or are thinking like the frog inside a well. The frog thinks the world is as big as the opening he sees in his kingdom when he looks up.

Assume you are displacing about 100 hectares of sea water that is more or less 17 meters deep (average depth of Manila Bay) = 17 million cubic meters. You then spread that out to the world ocean which is 1.332 billion cubic kilometers! You don't even raise the mean sea water level by a hair's diameter deep!
The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all: it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same level, to breed a standard citizenry, to put down dissent and originality.

- H.L. Mencken

boodex liked this post
Parchie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2019, 10:39 PM   #643
s_w_stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchie View Post
The Netherlands has been doing that since birth! Why can't you do it in a smaller scale? Your guy (and others who oppose reclamation projects) are misinformed or are thinking like the frog inside a well. The frog thinks the world is as big as the opening he sees in his kingdom when he looks up.

Assume you are displacing about 100 hectares of sea water that is more or less 17 meters deep (average depth of Manila Bay) = 17 million cubic meters. You then spread that out to the world ocean which is 1.332 billion cubic kilometers! You don't even raise the mean sea water level by a hair's diameter deep!
Ay naku...so simple isn't it? Education is sometimes wasted on some people. Learning how to calculate displacement doesn't mean you know to work it in real life applications.

The Dutch did not spread the water to the ocean but kept the water out with dikes. It took them centuries, and even decades in the 20th century to keep out the flooding (also with the help of pumps).https://www.thoughtco.com/polders-an...rlands-1435535

Smaller scale? Reclaiming in Manila Bay for 2 runways may be smaller scale to you but the impact is on a much bigger scale. That would be like the roadworks along Hagonoy, Paombong etc where the roads were raised a few feet, and water just went into people's homes/yards on the side and nowhere to direct the water. Pray tell me how do they spread the water into the world's ocean from their yard?

I'm sure you know water seeks the lowest level. And the lowest level are along the shoreline of Manila Bay from Pampanga to Cavite. And you also know that once upon a time, the shores of Manila Bay from Pampanga to Cavite, and Laguna, were marshlands, wetlands and swamps which acted as the sponge for all that water. These marshlands and swamps were reclaimed and inhabited before they actually did anything to contain or deal with all that water.

If we are to learn from the Dutch who were smart, they fixed the problem with the water and flooding first before reclaiming. I hope you understood "my" guy's point. Cause and effect. Elementary.

florentin liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2019, 01:58 AM   #644
Parchie

Quote:
Ay naku...so simple isn't it? Education is sometimes wasted on some people. Learning how to calculate displacement doesn't mean you know to work it in real life applications.

The Dutch did not spread the water to the ocean but kept the water out with dikes. It took them centuries, and even decades in the 20th century to keep out the flooding (also with the help of pumps).https://www.thoughtco.com/polders-an...rlands-1435535

Smaller scale? Reclaiming in Manila Bay for 2 runways may be smaller scale to you but the impact is on a much bigger scale. That would be like the roadworks along Hagonoy, Paombong etc where the roads were raised a few feet, and water just went into people's homes/yards on the side and nowhere to direct the water. Pray tell me how do they spread the water into the world's ocean from their yard?

I'm sure you know water seeks the lowest level. And the lowest level are along the shoreline of Manila Bay from Pampanga to Cavite. And you also know that once upon a time, the shores of Manila Bay from Pampanga to Cavite, and Laguna, were marshlands, wetlands and swamps which acted as the sponge for all that water. These marshlands and swamps were reclaimed and inhabited before they actually did anything to contain or deal with all that water.

If we are to learn from the Dutch who were smart, they fixed the problem with the water and flooding first before reclaiming. I hope you understood "my" guy's point. Cause and effect. Elementary.
You are thinking like those Greenpeace thugs. You think humans make a big difference with what people do so those activities could make an impact on earth! Please think that what is big for you will be just a tick on an elephants hair. i hope you get the wholistic point of view.
The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all: it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same level, to breed a standard citizenry, to put down dissent and originality.

- H.L. Mencken
Old March 13th, 2019, 11:04 AM   #645
Ekoy

Likes (Received): 1402

March 13 2019

Manila Bay Rehab

Boracay

s_w_stars, dipdown liked this post
Ekoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 04:00 PM   #646
s_w_stars

Quote:
You are thinking like those Greenpeace thugs. You think humans make a big difference with what people do so those activities could make an impact on earth! Please think that what is big for you will be just a tick on an elephants hair. i hope you get the wholistic point of view.
Ay naku again...resorting to namecalling doesn't suit a supposedly educated man. Wholistic? Yes, that's why you have to look at it on a larger scale, not just a reclamation in Manila Bay, also the effects inland considering the current conditions. Putting reclamation offshore in Bulacan without addressing a BIGGER issue first, well, that shows how little the "reclamadors" like you think of the issue. You seem to be hung on reclaiming at all cost, whereas, I have nothing against reclamation but WHERE and HOW. It's not just a matter of calculating water displacement which I know you can do. Learn from that ice cube analogy. Learn from the Dutch.

Your argument reminds me of the roadworks in Bulacan. They raised the roadways without thinking of the effect on the houses on either side and no way to diver floodwater from these houses, as you say, "spreading the water into the ocean."

dipdown liked this post

Last edited by s_w_stars; March 13th, 2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old March 13th, 2019, 04:49 PM   #647
KingJack Mafia
Registered Filipino

Likes (Received): 210

Dapat hindi ituloy ang Kaliwa dam sa Quezon. Isa ito sa mga area na tinitirahan ng mga endagered species lalo na ang Philippine eagle. Kailangan ng isang Philippine eagle ang malawak na lupain na covered forest at maaring makaapekto ang construction nito sa mga existing nest ng eagle. Kakaunti na lamang po ang mga active nest na meron sa Luzon kaya kasalanan ng dam na ito kung mababawasan pa.
Mismong Haribon foundation na po nagsabi.
https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news...haribon/story/

s_w_stars liked this post

Last edited by KingJack Mafia; March 13th, 2019 at 04:56 PM.
KingJack Mafia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 09:43 AM   #648
Parchie

Quote:
Ay naku again...resorting to namecalling doesn't suit a supposedly educated man. Wholistic? Yes, that's why you have to look at it on a larger scale, not just a reclamation in Manila Bay, also the effects inland considering the current conditions. Putting reclamation offshore in Bulacan without addressing a BIGGER issue first, well, that shows how little the "reclamadors" like you think of the issue. You seem to be hung on reclaiming at all cost, whereas, I have nothing against reclamation but WHERE and HOW. It's not just a matter of calculating water displacement which I know you can do. Learn from that ice cube analogy. Learn from the Dutch.

Your argument reminds me of the roadworks in Bulacan. They raised the roadways without thinking of the effect on the houses on either side and no way to diver floodwater from these houses, as you say, "spreading the water into the ocean."
It seems you haven't reviewed much on what the Dutch had done to expand their country. No amount of changing the topic into some roadworks or whatever could disprove the fact that reclamation works fine. It's high time people read the truth about that reclamation and be informed.
Read here:
LINK1
LINK2
LINK3
LINK4

- H.L. Mencken
Old March 14th, 2019, 03:34 PM   #649
KingJack Mafia
Registered Filipino

Quote:
It seems you haven't reviewed much on what the Dutch had done to expand their country. No amount of changing the topic into some roadworks or whatever could disprove the fact that reclamation works fine. It's high time people read the truth about that reclamation and be informed.
Read here:
LINK1
LINK2
LINK3
LINK4
Pakibasa po itong research journal, mismong Netherlands po ito isinigawa. In situ research type po ito kaya maganda pagbasehan ng katototahanan.

"It will be demonstrated that it was impossible to make reliable cost calculations of the potential damage to housing, infrastructure, crops and environment due to the construction of the polder, without proper knowledge of the geological conditions of the area and its wide surroundings." - Mulder, Bruchem, Claessen, Hannink, Hulsbergen, Satjin, 1993

Iyan po ang konklusyon nila, sinasabi na kakailanganin ng geologic study mismo ng area na pagagawan ng reclamation upang malaman ang epekto nito. Kung maari po ay magbigay kayo ng credible study na nagsasabi na minimal ang epekto ng reclamation mismo sa Manila Bay. Case to case basis po ito kaya hindi niyo masasabi na minimal lang ang epekto ng reclamation gamit ang mga references na ibinigay ninyo.

Ito po ang link ng research paper: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...13795294900787
Ang pamagat ay Environmental impact assessment on land reclamation projects in The Netherlands: A case history

Old March 14th, 2019, 08:25 PM   #650
Ekoy

Likes (Received): 1402

March 14 2019

Manila Bay Rehab

Boracay
Ekoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 12:33 AM   #651
s_w_stars

Quote:
Read here:
LINK1
LINK2
LINK3
LINK4
If you care to read my post, I said, I'm NOT against reclamation per se but WHERE and HOW. You sound like you're a salesman for reclamation projects, are you? You need to know the impact of any reclamation in a specific area, in this case Manila Bay and impact on the surrounding area. Has there been an impact study of reclaiming in Manila Bay, much less a comprehensive environmental study of the Manila Bay area?

As for the roadworks, I wasn't skirting the issue. You just didn't get it.

Last edited by s_w_stars; March 15th, 2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old March 16th, 2019, 11:31 AM   #652
KingJack Mafia
Registered Filipino

Susubukan pa tayo lokohin ng gobyerno tsk tsk
Ginagamit pa ang water crisis para matuloy ang Kaliwa dam.
May ibang paraan pa upang masolusyunan ang water crisis sa Manila. Mahalaga na maproteksyunan ang mga natitirang kagubatan ng ating bansa.

http://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2...zon-China.html

Hindi naman ibig-sabihin na for the best ang kaliwa dam kahit mas maganda ang china loan kumpara sa china loan ni Gloria. Naghahanap pa ng paraan upang makautang tsk tsk.
https://business.inquirer.net/266714...nwDVUSgFJXed.1

florentin liked this post
Old March 16th, 2019, 03:30 PM   #653
-SNPKLSDMBLDR-
Welcome to the Planet

Likes (Received): 3830

I get the environmental concerns pero speculative at best chinese debt fearmongering na naman?
DFB-GER '14 - Schweinsteiger #31/Messi #10 - Scuderia Ferrari - #DC Joker/BoP/WW'84

-SNPKLSDMBLDR- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 04:08 PM   #654
fretburner

Likes (Received): 2907

Yup. Dilawan scare tactics. Zero proof that it's a trap.

fretburner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 04:40 PM   #655
s_w_stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJack Mafia View Post
Susubukan pa tayo lokohin ng gobyerno tsk tsk
Ginagamit pa ang water crisis para matuloy ang Kaliwa dam.
May ibang paraan pa upang masolusyunan ang water crisis sa Manila. Mahalaga na maproteksyunan ang mga natitirang kagubatan ng ating bansa.

http://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2...zon-China.html

Hindi naman ibig-sabihin na for the best ang kaliwa dam kahit mas maganda ang china loan kumpara sa china loan ni Gloria. Naghahanap pa ng paraan upang makautang tsk tsk.
https://business.inquirer.net/266714...nwDVUSgFJXed.1
They're both loans from China neither here nor there. But there are gov't officials eager to borrow money just for the sake of borrowing money whether China or Japan. Similar to financial institutions offering/enticing consumers credit cards and low interest loans, to buy this and that. We've all been through that I'm sure. We end up buying things we don't need. I've seen the issue about the Kaliwa dam on you tube. This one really has to go through thorough eia, not only impact on the environment but on the people living there.

KingJack Mafia liked this post
Old March 16th, 2019, 06:24 PM   #656
absinthe_888

Likes (Received): 11355

If we can't pay a P12B loan, then the country is truly and utterly fcked.

PRRD, #SONA2019
absinthe_888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 07:08 PM   #657
fretburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe_888 View Post
Debt to GDP ratio has never been better

We are good, if not great, at paying our debts

Banks and countries have been urging us to borrow more

Dilawan scare tactics. Pathetic.

johnmizer_ver_2 liked this post
Old March 16th, 2019, 09:43 PM   #658
-SNPKLSDMBLDR-
Welcome to the Planet

Likes (Received): 3830

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe_888 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretburner View Post
Debt to GDP ratio has never been better

We are good, if not great, at paying our debts

Banks and countries have been urging us to borrow more

Dilawan scare tactics. Pathetic.
we have no problems wasting money on Dengvaxia worth 3.6 Billion and non existent health centers worth 10.6 Billion but somehow this Kaliwa dam is yet another Chinese debt trap that will put the country into another Venezuela.
DFB-GER '14 - Schweinsteiger #31/Messi #10 - Scuderia Ferrari - #DC Joker/BoP/WW'84

-SNPKLSDMBLDR- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2019, 06:59 AM   #659
fretburner

That's Dilawan "logic"

johnmizer_ver_2 liked this post
Old March 18th, 2019, 04:34 AM   #660
absinthe_888

Likes (Received): 11355

Segue ng unti sa usaping tubeeeeeg: