Beorma Quarter | Phase 2 | Mixed-Use | 30fl | 113m | Appr. - Page 47 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2017, 10:42 AM   #921
blueboy

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity-Spring View Post
Turned up for the public stoning in Brum' for me yesterday. Can't say l was pleased with the turnout.
Anyway, yes it does take a lot to a second-city make. And my city is ticking nearly all the boxes.Including proposing,planning and executing the construction of towers over 100m tall. I actually want to see this rise and do not see it as an accolade to Brum' to see all this pissing-about from conception to erection.(Albeit usually the reverse-order to my description ).
Every dog has its day I suppose
blueboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2017, 12:12 PM   #922
demtingzdere

Likes (Received): 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
Out of interest, what bands are you referring to and are they current?
My musical knowledge isn't the greatest but i would rather support a local Brummie band/artist rather than the same American artists.
Off the top of my head:

Hip-Hop: Lady Leshurr, Mist, Jaykae, Stefflon Don and loads more
Metal: Godflesh & Napalm Death
Indie: Loads, Editors are very popular but just search for B Town
Pop: The Vamps, Laura Mvula

All current. #1 and critically acclaimed albums among those.

If you look on any Grime album that came out over the past two years you will see either a Preditah or Swifta beat on it, probably both.

Could discuss it more if you want to take it to the music thread.

The other city creates the illusion that it is a musical powerhouse because their cultural identity is easier to pin point whereas Brum has a lot more. If I asked you what music is London music you would say loads, you probably wouldn't have an image of any type of sound or style and the same applies here. Whereas for the northern city it's Indie/Britpop and not much else.

It's genuinely not even a contest.

BhamJim, joshwebb, scsw, Mercurius liked this post
demtingzdere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #923
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 963

Quote:
Stunned to see that this project is still in 'pissing about ' stage. If this was a Manchester project then the top floors would be being glazed by now. And that is not some artificial exaggeration. Stunned at the huge disparity twixt Brum' and Manc' at the mo' to be honest. A building of that height seems to be a carrot on a stick to Brum' at present, and would break the 100m+ mark to the joy of many.
Par-for-the-course for Manchester in the reality of construction rather than proposal at present.
Even l wanna see this built but l am getting fed-up waiting.
2018 may see a start but my city is in another league for speed regarding 'proposal-to-construction' and this (admittedly beautiful) project would be a secondary stocking-filler in the ambitions and present construction stakes in Manchester.
We have nowadays a two-tier 'double second-city' and then 'next tier large-regionals' situation in the UK nowadays. This will have to be re evaluated if Brum' fails to keep pace and if l were a Brummie then l would both agree with this and be massively pissed-off by it too.What's the issue? Is Brum' just not as quick as Manc' to propose,finance and build?
(lf something came out of the Natwest tower demolition bar a hole in the ground then this rant would not be inspired by one failed project. But as we are both supposed to fly our 'second-to-London' eefiant faces to Brexit then l find Brum's vim and get-up-and-go quite lacking. ( Was there two weeks ago too.Found it to be far from similar to Manchester in dynamism,vibe and pace.
Essentially ,Brum' needs to believe in itself big-time. It has been the big fella sat on the couch too long whilst others have been working-out 24/7 .
Birmingham is a top city ,believe me.I knew it back in the 70's when it was proud and matchless on so many criteria. Just seems that it has gone off-the-boil these days.
I await the barrage of venom in reaction to this post.
I can see what you're saying Charity, and whilst i do think our council planning team can be over cautious to an extent, and that the past governments have overlooked the midlands and leapfrogged to the North West with their investment incentives, I'm also generally happy to go with style over purely height. Slowly slowly catchy monkey as they say.

The developments in Brum may not not be breaking clouds, but there can be no argument that the projects at Paradise, Exchange Sq, Snow Hill, and Broad Street, and at Brindley Place, Bullring and the Mailbox before them, are very classy, stylish and very well planned. I've no reason to think that Martineau, Axis Sq or Eastside/Hs2 area will be any different. (maybe with a few well thought out, with good materials, and in context tall buildings thrown in for good measure).

I don't think Manchester's tall buildings have been very well designed, or placed. I think Media City is a much bigger player in Manchester's growth, but I think the architecture and city planning in many cases has been detrimental.

Cities, whether second, third, fourth or even first, aren't judged by skyscrapers, but by style and class, ease of movement, cultural mix and the general vibe.

It is of course people firstly and fore mostly. You wont hear brummies say that they lead the world in this category, but that's why they'll always be a step ahead of Manchester, because they don't big themselves up they are always that bit more cool.

IMHO of course

(should point out that my login name is misleading, I work in Brum but I'm not a Brummie myself)

Old December 11th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #924
WarwickDan

Likes (Received): 2570

Just to build on BhamJim's comments, I think the point about quality is a good one and the impact of the mass regeneration of the city centre proper cannot be overstated. No other (major) city in Europe is undertaking such a combined project. Both Centenary and Chamberlain Square will ooze class once complete and they already include some the finest pre-existing architecture in the city. Throw in a few talls (which are again, of high quality), and bang, you have yourself stylish cityscape screaming class and dynamism. The most exciting thing is that this vision will almost certainly be reality in 5 years time.

From a different angle, I would say that ultimately, the most important thing is that both cities are getting it right. Great for the economy, great for the country and another step to having more devolved English regions that are not in thrall of London.

Just my two pence.

Last edited by WarwickDan; December 11th, 2017 at 02:23 PM.
WarwickDan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #925
daumal

Likes (Received): 665

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickDan View Post
Just to build on BhamJim's comments, I think the point about quality is a good one and the impact of the mass regeneration of the city centre proper cannot be overstated. No other (major) city in Europe is undertaking such a combined project. Both Centenary and Chamberlain Square will ooze class once complete and they already include some the finest pre-existing architecture in the city. Throw in a few talls (which are again, of high quality), and bang, you have yourself stylish cityscape screaming class and dynamism. The most exciting thing is that this vision will almost certainly be reality in 5 years time.
And once that's out of the way we should be seeing movement on Smithfield, which will have an even bigger transformative effect.
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #926
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4914

Quote:
Originally Posted by daumal View Post
And once that's out of the way we should be seeing movement on Smithfield, which will have an even bigger transformative effect.
And then eastside, snow hill, garden square, Connaught square and god knows what else, it's difficult keeping a track!

BhamJim, Bear Would Ian, Sandblast liked this post
Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 06:06 PM   #927
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1117

^ Thanks, you've all cheered me up.

RalphGuy, Mosleyan liked this post
Astonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #928
Mosleyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonian View Post
^ Thanks, you've all cheered me up.
Ah that's what we're here for

Razor01 liked this post
Old December 12th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #929
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtingzdere View Post
Off the top of my head:

Hip-Hop: Lady Leshurr, Mist, Jaykae, Stefflon Don and loads more
Metal: Godflesh & Napalm Death
Indie: Loads, Editors are very popular but just search for B Town
Pop: The Vamps, Laura Mvula

All current. #1 and critically acclaimed albums among those.

If you look on any Grime album that came out over the past two years you will see either a Preditah or Swifta beat on it, probably both.

Could discuss it more if you want to take it to the music thread.

The other city creates the illusion that it is a musical powerhouse because their cultural identity is easier to pin point whereas Brum has a lot more. If I asked you what music is London music you would say loads, you probably wouldn't have an image of any type of sound or style and the same applies here. Whereas for the northern city it's Indie/Britpop and not much else.

It's genuinely not even a contest.
My field of expertise is local Grime/Hip-hop/RnB. As you say Jaykae is smashing it and his latest video Moscow is a treat for Peaky Blinders fans.

"What you screwing up your face for?
You ain't mad like Bronson
Come where the Villa and Blues play,
The Burgers and Johnsons".

Lotto Boyz, Jorja Smith and Scarlord, maybe Mowgli and Yatez on the verge of breakout success hopefully. Lotto Boyz and Jorja (with Preditah producing) are already all over MTV Base. Local producer Lauren Ralph (a bloke) is working with a guy called Col3trane. Not sure if he's a Brummie but he came out of local group Blue Room Mafia (BRM - geddit?) and he's ace. We're actually becoming a buzzword in this genre - rap megastar Bryson Tiller has released a tune called Birmingham, and he means our one, not Alabama.

If it's recommendations you're after, checkout Namiwa Jazz, Call Me Unique, Affie Jam, Mulla Ess and Lady Sanity. Sanity just keeps improving, this is her latest:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=5s&v=kqfsfSoRBRg

Indie, as you say, loads. My tips are The Clause, Cut Glass Kings, Spilt Milk Society, Coffee Breath and Sugarthief.

Broken Witt Rebels and The Americas are a couple of good rock bands.

Let's not forget we actually invented prog-rock, Heavy Metal, Grindcore and Bhangra.

You're right, it's no contest.

Sorry to go off topic, it makes a change for me to post about something I know about, I usually just come here to learn off everybody else about planning, development etc.

Last edited by Astonian; December 12th, 2017 at 10:49 AM.
Astonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #930
VerticallyChallenged

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
My field of expertise is local Grime/Hip-hop/RnB. As you say Jaykae is smashing it and his latest video Moscow is a treat for Peaky Blinders fans.

Lotto Boyz, Jorja Smith and Scarlord, maybe Mowgli and Yatez on the verge of breakout success hopefully. Lotto Boyz and Jorja (with Preditah producing) are already all over MTV Base. Local producer Lauren Ralph (a bloke) is working with a guy called Col3trane. Not sure if he's a Brummie but he came out of local group Blue Room Mafia (BRM - geddit?) and he's ace. We're actually becoming a buzzword in this genre - rap megastar Bryson Tiller has released a tune called Birmingham, and he means our one, not Alabama.

If it's recommendations you're after, checkout Namiwa Jazz, Call Me Unique, Affie Jam, Mulla Ess and Lady Sanity. Sanity just keeps improving, this is her latest:

Indie, as you say, loads. My tips are The Clause, Cut Glass Kings, Spilt Milk Society, Coffee Breath and Sugarthief.

Let's not forget we actually invented prog-rock, Heavy Metal, Grindcore and Bhangra.

Sorry to go off topic, it makes a change for me to post about something I know about, I usually just come here to learn off everybody else about planning, development etc.
Strewth Astonian, I haven't the faintest idea what your're talking about.
I think I saw Heavy Metal in there somewhere but that's about it.
VerticallyChallenged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 05:15 PM   #931
Mosleyan

Quote:

Scary to think what the world would be like without grindcore and its pioneers, Napalm Death!

demtingzdere, Astonian liked this post
Old December 17th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #932
Biniput

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Stunned to see that this project is still in 'pissing about ' stage. If this was a Manchester project then the top floors would be being glazed by now. And that is not some artificial exaggeration.
Not so true. The thread is only 2 and a half years old and there is a certain large car park near Piccadilly Station in Manchester that has been there for 9 or 10 years. Remember how many current empty sites (in Manchester) and buildings/constructions that have been built on plots which should have been filled around 2007/8 but fell through due to the financial problems. Manchester has been very good at keeping things going and sites in the planning process and disguised it's problems with lots and lots of newer projects in other places over the years so dead construction threads have been buried. It is the lack of this "other" activity in Brum etc that has been missing. In Leeds for instance there is a hope for 15 cranes on the skyline which in Manchester has not been too far off its low count in the years after 2008.

Sandblast liked this post
Biniput no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 11:00 AM   #933
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

In the right place now!! Rumours are that this comes out to tender before the summer which is a good sign
Old January 11th, 2018, 02:50 PM   #934
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
In the right place now!! Rumours are that this comes out to tender before the summer which is a good sign
lets hope your right, but for some reason I just dont think this will ever be built.
Force_alfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 03:53 PM   #935
SMUK86

Likes (Received): 1498

While the thread is up...has anyone seen the site recently? Does it still look like it does in post #887?
SMUK86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 03:56 PM   #936
PerpetualBrum
YIMBY

Likes (Received): 16898

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUK86 View Post
Does it still look like it does in post #887?
yes!

PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 04:45 PM   #937
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
That's unexpected I thought this was dead ??

Wonder if original design or if it will change?
Ppmb80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 06:37 PM   #938
WarwickDan

Likes (Received): 2570

Following on from my city-centre masterpiece - Eastside developments a la Paint.

For anyone wondering why I chose this thread - I dared not bump the Exchange Square 2 thread.

Edit* Thanks for the pointers - will fix accordingly.

image hosted on flickr

RalphGuy, Brum X liked this post

Last edited by WarwickDan; January 12th, 2018 at 07:01 PM.
WarwickDan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:11 PM   #939
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7728

You've put your Beorma Quarter tower in the wrong site! It's not at Spiceal Street!

Redo it and place it next to Moor Street Car Park where that demolition site is now (corner of Digbeth and Park Street).

Brum X liked this post
ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:42 PM   #940
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 272

I wouldn't be too opposed to them demolishing part of the Bullring for it though......
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement