Beorma Quarter | Phase 2 | Mixed-Use | 30fl | 113m | Appr. - Page 60 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2018, 10:10 PM   #1181
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1801

Without wanting to tempt fate but its looking rather ominous now This is my favourite of the proposed towers in Birmingham.

Brum X, 1874 liked this post
cyril sneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2018, 10:13 PM   #1182
Fidget808

Likes (Received): 1062

I'm drawn to reading between the lines here. They're looking for a substantial pre-let before commencing construction. I'd love to be proved wrong but this one has never had a good feel about it. But they're spending money on a new marketing campaign so you never know....

Internal Exile liked this post
Fidget808 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:16 PM   #1183
sefton66

Likes (Received): 9085

Well I was not expecting that...

For anyone doubting it BBC are also running this...

Quote:
Posted at 18:55
New office block to be city's tallest
Work on a £140m development which includes Birmingham's tallest office block is set to start this year.

Artist's impression of the new tower
Salhia KSC
Beorma Quarter will be 110 metres (360ft) tall -10 centimetres higher than the Alpha Tower, which is currently the city's highest office block.

The 30-storey tower is being funded by Salhia KSC, which has its headquarters in Kuwait City. It will be built as part of the next phase of a major regeneration scheme next to the city's Bullring shopping centre.

It will become the city's third tallest building, behind the 152-metre BT Tower and 130-metre Beetham Tower - home of the Radisson Blu hotel and apartments.

The city is experiencing unprecedented levels of growth which is set to continue over the next 15 years."
Waheed Nazir
Corporate director for economy, Birmingham City Council
Phase one of the development is "mostly completed", said a project spokeswoman. Planning permission for all three phases was granted in 2009.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-en...0e5d067b754095

Old May 14th, 2018, 10:36 PM   #1184
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 16118

Just done a quick mock up of the site, taken the first image from the new website.

I'm really hoping this will start this year, but as I'm stated over and over again, BVSC still occupy a building that needs to come down before work on the tower can start as it's in the way, no sign of BVSC moving out yet.. Just hoping we hear something on them moving out/relocating soon.

Key:

Red - Phase 2 site
Blue - Buildings demolished already
Green - Listed building front elevation retained [BVSC]
Purple - BVSC Building yet to be demolished

As you can see, the BVSC rear building takes a huge of the site. The front will be retained and a new extension on the back will be created to house a retail unit.

RalphGuy, miniwilko, Bear Would Ian liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:51 PM   #1185
blueboy

Likes (Received): 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Well I was not expecting that...

For anyone doubting it BBC are also running this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-en...0e5d067b754095
So many inaccuracies in that!
blueboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:53 PM   #1186
Brum X

Likes (Received): 19531

Brum X ready and waiting, i just need Salhia to press the buttons now and we wil be UP UP and Away.
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:57 PM   #1187
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 6159

No one knows for sure what's happening but the creation of the website and the press releases of the last few days at least point in the right direction.
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 11:17 PM   #1188
sefton66

How much do Bvsc actually occupy?

Is it a charity too? May be on short term Lease if so
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 11:28 PM   #1189
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1801

How on earth is that BVSC building listed? Archibald Leitch's masterpiece The Trinity Road Stand is allowed to be demolished but yet this building is preserved. Bonkers.

There is still time to demolish the remainder by the end of the year but yes you'd like to think BVSC will starting making some noises to vacate soon.
cyril sneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 11:51 PM   #1190
sefton66

Anyone want to drop bvsc an email asking if they’re relocating?
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:40 AM   #1191
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4927

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
Is it? Or is it the architects saying it will be a mixed use tower? It even says on the new Beorma website how many apartments are being built as part of phase two. I don't know what details they're planning on revealing today but it looks to me like we're getting the 30 storey mixed use tower that already has planning permission.
The fact that the architects tweet about it may mean something, all I'm saying is that they only quote the Telegraph article and link to it, which came out couple days ago so nothing new really.

The tower was granted planning permission in December 2015( gosh time flies!) and all the details seem to be exactly the same i.e. mixed tower, 30 storeys, the height, nothing we haven't known since December 2015.

Nevertheless it may be worth having a look at the actual application to see whether any amendments have been made in the past few weeks. Anybody? I can do it but can't be bothered tonight
Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:55 AM   #1192
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosleyan View Post
The fact that the architects tweet about it may mean something, all I'm saying is that they only quote the Telegraph article and link to it, which came out couple days ago so nothing new really.

The tower was granted planning permission in December 2015( gosh time flies!) and all the details seem to be exactly the same i.e. mixed tower, 30 storeys, the height, nothing we haven't known since December 2015.

Nevertheless it may be worth having a look at the actual application to see whether any amendments have been made in the past few weeks. Anybody? I can do it but can't be bothered tonight
No amendments!

Mosleyan liked this post
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:11 AM   #1193
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4927

Great thanks!
Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:15 AM   #1194
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2904

They couldn’t make any meaning amendments that big without it going unnoticed by media or this forum anyway. They would need to submit a new application.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 07:51 AM   #1195
sefton66

Birmingham post now running the same story with more info

They state work WILL start end of this year

But also

Quote:
Salhia Investments says it is now on the hunt for occupiers of the new buildings for pre-let deals and claims "negotiations are in hand with several interested parties".

rotundazag, Brum X liked this post
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:18 AM   #1196
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 1460

And here’s the article - with a quote direct from the developer, this looks promising now.

I believe 103 Colmore starts in June according to their website, throw in Moda and this - then hopefully we will see 3 cores rising & hopefully dominating the skyline by this time next year.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...arter-14657289

cyril sneer, Brum X liked this post
rotundazag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:37 AM   #1197
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 584

No evidence of any discharge of conditions applications on the main app... but can't see if there are any related applications as the BCC planning portal is not the friendliest.

This would be the next step and all the precomencement conditions will need to be discharged this year or they will have to resubmit.the application.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:38 AM   #1198
blueboy

Likes (Received): 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundazag View Post
And here’s the article - with a quote direct from the developer, this looks promising now.

I believe 103 Colmore starts in June according to their website, throw in Moda and this - then hopefully we will see 3 cores rising & hopefully dominating the skyline by this time next year.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...arter-14657289
Maybe bloc aswell? And hopefully we'll get some news on exchange tower soon.

Brum Knows Best liked this post
blueboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:48 AM   #1199
create streets

Likes (Received): 1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
How on earth is that BVSC building listed? Archibald Leitch's masterpiece The Trinity Road Stand is allowed to be demolished but yet this building is preserved. Bonkers.

There is still time to demolish the remainder by the end of the year but yes you'd like to think BVSC will starting making some noises to vacate soon.
I think this building and the Victorian cold store will add some character to the development which, based on the phases that have been built so far, would otherwise be sorely lacking.

It's only Grade B Locally Listed (unlike the cold store which is Grade II Statutorily Listed). Retaining the facade was the developers prerogative which I completely respect.

Juxtapositions between old/new and gritty/shiny always make for much more interesting cityscapes. Who wants every city to look the same?
L D N

cyril sneer, wahhill liked this post
1874 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:54 AM   #1200
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Looking at this article from 2013 (5 years ago!!), seems BVSC have been a problem with this project getting out of the ground, they refused to move, I haven’t seen anything since, but the Council started a CPO to get them out by the looks of things, so even though it’s taken a while, maybe BVSC finally agreed to move out, resulting in this news and the demolition of the other buildings on site

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/bus...895.1523096963

Sponsored Links
Advertisement