NZ | Sports Thread - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > KiwiScrapers

KiwiScrapers Kia Kaha » Auckland | Wellington | Christchurch | Hamilton | Regional Cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:58 AM   #61
cambennett

Likes (Received): 171

India has won the toss and are batting.
cambennett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:08 AM   #62
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 25

Sri Lankan cricketers attacked, injured in Pakistan
5:56PM Tuesday Mar 03, 2009

LAHORE, Pakistan - An official says eight members of Sri Lanka's national cricket team have been wounded after gunmen opened fire on their vehicle in eastern Pakistan.

Pakistan Cricket Board security official Nadeem Iqbal says the team members were hurt near the stadium where they were due to arrive to play.

Sri Lankan team manager Brendon Kruppu confirmed the incident and said the team's batsman, Kumar Sangakkara, was among the injured.

Security concerns have plagued Pakistan for years and some foreign sports teams have refused to play here.

CNN reported one player had been shot in the head and leg.

The team was arriving to begin the third day's play of the second test against Pakistan.

City police chief Haji Habibur Rehman said five policemen died in the shooting.

The players injured are thought to be Kumar Sangakkara, Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paranavithana, with Samaraweera the worst injured.

- AP, NZ HERALD STAFF
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:30 AM   #63
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
Sri Lankan cricketers attacked, injured in Pakistan
5:56PM Tuesday Mar 03, 2009

LAHORE, Pakistan - An official says eight members of Sri Lanka's national cricket team have been wounded after gunmen opened fire on their vehicle in eastern Pakistan.

Pakistan Cricket Board security official Nadeem Iqbal says the team members were hurt near the stadium where they were due to arrive to play.

Sri Lankan team manager Brendon Kruppu confirmed the incident and said the team's batsman, Kumar Sangakkara, was among the injured.

Security concerns have plagued Pakistan for years and some foreign sports teams have refused to play here.

CNN reported one player had been shot in the head and leg.

The team was arriving to begin the third day's play of the second test against Pakistan.

City police chief Haji Habibur Rehman said five policemen died in the shooting.

The players injured are thought to be Kumar Sangakkara, Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paranavithana, with Samaraweera the worst injured.

- AP, NZ HERALD STAFF

Shit, that's terrible. Just heard this on the cricket commentary a little while ago. Even the ICC will have to now admit this is just not a safe country to tour at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM   #64
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 25

Yes utterly terrible. I certainly hope all the players are OK. It will be years before anyone plays cricket in Pakistan again, I feel very sorry for the fans there.
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #65
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 1175

Well from a Kiwi perspetive yesterdays game was pretty shite. Guptills innings was the only highpoint.

But come on what is it with the rain? That revised total after the break of over 100 runs off 7 overs was a joke!

Oh well, Wellington tomorrow. And my calender is clear so I will be watching the entire match from home with a couple of mates around. If it rains I will go absolutely berko!
Milan Luka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #66
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Luka View Post
Well from a Kiwi perspetive yesterdays game was pretty shite. Guptills innings was the only highpoint.

But come on what is it with the rain? That revised total after the break of over 100 runs off 7 overs was a joke!

Oh well, Wellington tomorrow. And my calender is clear so I will be watching the entire match from home with a couple of mates around. If it rains I will go absolutely berko!
Yesterday was a hiding no two ways about it. I thought when they batted the Indians looked all class particularly Sehwag and Dhoni.

Do really like the look of Guptill as a batman, best thing is he's only 22 so will be around for a while and will only get better.

Duckworth lewis is farcical. Surely there is a better way to decide rain effected matches than that.

Let's hope we put up a better showing from tommorow on or this is going to be a pretty painful series to watch as a NZ supporter.
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #67
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 113

You folks need a separate Cricket thread!

I think this series is going to be pretty close. If India comes out on top then they are well on their way to being a very very good team. Have to see how this series will play out.

Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #68
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambennett View Post
Duckworth lewis is farcical. Surely there is a better way to decide rain effected matches than that.
simply not true
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #69
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoLegs View Post
simply not true
No? you don't think having to score 100 runs of 7 overs is farcical? Please do elaborate.
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #70
Blah
Jafa

Likes (Received): 111

Duckworth isn't great, but it's better than the old system. Anyone remember the 1992 World Cup game between England and (i think) South Africa.

South Africa need 24 from 13 balls to win and were looking ok. But it then rained and when they came back they needed...get this....24 from 1 ball. LOL

Now that system sucked.
Blah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #71
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah View Post
Duckworth isn't great, but it's better than the old system. Anyone remember the 1992 World Cup game between England and (i think) South Africa.

South Africa need 24 from 13 balls to win and were looking ok. But it then rained and when they came back they needed...get this....24 from 1 ball. LOL

Now that system sucked.
I remember that well. I thought that was Duckworth Lewis but just checked and saw that DL came in in 96. So yes agree it is better than whatever that was.

Last edited by cambennett; March 6th, 2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #72
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

problem with duckworth lewis is that most people make no attempt to understand it
perfect explanation: http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...EWIS_2001.html
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #73
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambennett View Post
No? you don't think having to score 100 runs of 7 overs is farcical? Please do elaborate.
in 17.1 overs dec black caps need 167 with 6 wickets left
had those 10 overs been played then the most likely amount of runs new zealand would have scored without losing a wicket would've been about 67.
you're alternative system is?
Old March 7th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #74
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

ALL I ASK IS A ONE DAY GAME PLAYED IN FULL IN GOOD HOT WEATHER.

No inclement weather, no DuckworthLewis, no showers, no bad light, no covers, no called off due rain.

Thankfully Canterbury comes to the rescue. Weather today is a decent warm 26 degrees, and tomorrow is forecast to be similar. Most importantly- no rain.
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #75
cambennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoLegs View Post
in 17.1 overs dec black caps need 167 with 6 wickets left
had those 10 overs been played then the most likely amount of runs new zealand would have scored without losing a wicket would've been about 67.
you're alternative system is?
No alternative system. Thinking about it I reckon personally i'm just not that into mathimatically contriving a result from a rain effected game. It always feels artificial and unsatisfying to watch to me. Perhaps you are right if you are going to use a system then DL is the best. Still don't really dig it though.

I would proably rather they just used a reserve day or called it a draw if they could not get a full day in. Sure you would get a lot of series without a winner due to rain but that's cricket. Happens all the time with test series. Actually maybe that is my alternative system.

Although i understand in tournaments like the world cup they need to have a result.
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #76
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

I remember reserve days for international games from back when I was a kid.

India currently 258/3 in the 38th over. Even on the postage stamp size Christchurch ground thats pretty impressive. Tendulkar just got a century. NZ has chased well on this ground- I remember when you beat Australia's 340 odd a couple of seasons ago. I hope your batsmen fire tonight.
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #77
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

that game was rude
the icl has uses a different system but there is little difference between it and duckworth lewis. the notion of having so many games with no results is not something i'm a fan of; the reserve day is a sad loss but i think logistically there were nightmares
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #78
cambennett

Yeah i could see how reserve days could get difficult. Probably not really practical anymore with the busy schedules and the amount of ODIs they play.

Well yesterday's game was a bit of a pants down botty spanking in the end. Tendulker showed his class again and the rest of them were not too shabby either. We gave it a bit of nudge to start with, Ryder was outstanding but chasing 392 was probably always going to be too hard.

At least we got a full game in with no rain interupptions. There has been some positives signs with our batting. Guptill, Ryder and Mcullum have had their moments to name a few. However the bowling's looked a bit toothless. Would be good if we could have Bond steaming in at least.
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #79
Blah
Jafa

Likes (Received): 111

Anyone else sick of Ian Smith? He's so ******* negative - never says anything good about anyone. Well, apart from his pet project Ross Taylor.
Blah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #80
cambennett

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/new...-sanzar-notice

The saffas want the new Super 15 to start in January. Awesome, it's not like it starts way too early already right?

They Obviously see the Currie Cup as more important, and so should they it has 100 years of tradition and provincial rivalry behind it. It also has actual provincial teams rather than "regional franchises" named after various species of big game animal.

They also want a team from the Eastern Cape included in the super 15, not sure how they think they would compete. Sure the Bulls and Sharks are going good but their other three are propping up the bottom end of the table.

I say ditch them and start our own gig with the aussies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement