NZ | Sports Thread - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > KiwiScrapers

KiwiScrapers Kia Kaha » Auckland | Wellington | Christchurch | Hamilton | Regional Cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #81
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Luka View Post
Anyone care to predict how the series will go? I predict 3 wins to NZ, 1 to India and 1 rained out!
Well I was a bit wrong there. I think I underestimated India's batting strength. At least I was correct in one of the games being rained out.

For tomorrow I really want NZ to bat first. I want to see how they go about posting and defending a target.
Milan Luka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #82
cambennett

Likes (Received): 171

Yes i might have been a bit hopeful myself. Not got very high expectations on today's game.
cambennett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #83
Blah
Jafa

Likes (Received): 111

Man, India are just too good! 4-0 for sure.
Blah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #84
cambennett

World cup 2011 games and venues are being announced today at Eden park.
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #85
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

Likes (Received): 37

http://files.allblacks.com/comms/RWC...h_Schedule.pdf
i like these venue names
ami stadium = stadium christchurch (lancaster park not good enough??)
westpac stadium = wellington regional stadium
forsyth barr stadium = carisbrook
hamilton gets 3 games wtf?
napier getting 2 is harsh
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #86
UglyBob

Likes (Received): 104

How about All Blacks pool games in Akld, Hamilton and Wellington ... Chch will get NZ quarterfinal assuming they qualify. Queenstown and Tauranga miss out as venues.

Last edited by UglyBob; March 12th, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
UglyBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #87
Blah
Jafa

Pretty fair draw. Two big quarter finals in our 2nd and 3rd largest cities for a pumping weekend, and then off to our largest city for the final two weeks.

The opening game is boring though, but i can understand why they did it. NZ v Tonga willl sell out in an opening game, but not a couple of weeks later. Whereas NZ v France will always sell out since France are a good team.
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #88
Richard7666

Likes (Received): 63

Rotorua over Tauranga seems pretty harsh. Especially considering Tauranga is the heart of the BoP (assuming the issue is they only wanted one city per province) and is where the BoP Air NZ Cup team are based, and considering the likes of Nelson got in. Queenstown missing out probably makes sense, as it would be up against Dunedin and Invercargill for the southern part of the country, which are both very strong rugby cities. Interestingly, Nelson and Rotorua (3 each) both get more games than Invercargill and Napier (2 each), which is slightly backwards. Rotorua should get 1 game max and at least Tauranga 2, while one of Nelson's should be at either Napier or Invercargill.

And yeah, wtf is with 'Stadium Christchurch'???
Richard7666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #89
cambennett

I think there are a couple of reasons for Rotorua getting the games. Firstly they are a major tourist destination and they have a far more hotels and motels than Tauranga. Basically they are set up to handle a large amount of visitors.

The second thing would be that the international stadium can hold about 35,000 spectators wheras i think Blue Chip Stadium is about 20k capacity.

Personally i would rather go to Tauranga any day of the week. However i can see the reasoning behind the decision.
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #90
Richard7666

35k? Wow I had no idea they had a stadium that big there. What on earth does it get used for?

EDIT: the wiki article appears to have been written by a racoon, but it says it seats 4k in the covered grandstand...making a bit more sense now. The other 30k get to sit and stand out in the rain on terraces or something I guess?
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #91
cambennett

Not much these days. Yeah most of it is outdoors. It used to be the main ground for Bay of Plenty Rugby for years until Blue Chip stadium was built over in Tauranga. It also hosted games at the first world cup in 1987. From memory the third place play off between Oz and Wales was played there.

Rotorua used to be the main centre in the BOP but Tauranga has now overtaken it. Mainly due to the port i think.
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #92
Richard7666

Ah I see. BoP's really the only province in NZ that has more than one major city other than Hawke's Bay. Which reminds me, I feel sorry for Hastings. It doesn't seem to get much love when it comes to this kind of thing either.
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #93
cambennett

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/new...-saru-threaten

Well looks like the South Africans are chucking their toys and might again leave the Super 14 after swearing they were committed.

But fear not because if they leave the ARU and NZRU have an ace up their sleeve. That's right you guessed it, a team in Japan and a team in the islands.

Awesome.
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #94
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard7666 View Post
Ah I see. BoP's really the only province in NZ that has more than one major city other than Hawke's Bay. Which reminds me, I feel sorry for Hastings. It doesn't seem to get much love when it comes to this kind of thing either.
What does it matter really? You can get from Hastings to Napier in less time than you can from Eden Park to North Harbour Stadium. They're effectively two parts of the same entity.
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #95
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

Likes (Received): 37

good i would prefer not to invole the south african teams. but please not japan
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #96
cambennett

Could not agree more ,see earlier in the thread we discused at length a trans tasman comp followed by a champion league style knockout against the currie cup's top 4 teams at the end of the season.

Involving a Japanese team and for that matter one from the islands would make the competition even more artificial and irrelevant it would also make it disjointed which is one of the major problems of having SA involved now.
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #97
Richard7666

Lol a Japanese team...yeah, that'll be a huge drawcard.

Don't these idiots realise no one wants to see teams they have no connection with that are just totally contrived for that purpose? Only Australia and NZ are really appropriate to a competition like this.
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #98
Howdy

Likes (Received): 7

Would be fantastic to ditch SA, they've made themselves look terrible over the last few weeks. Selfish and indignant. The competition they are proposing for themselves sounds ridiculous. Why the obsession with teams from every corner of the globe? What's wrong with elevating the Currie Cup to the level currently occupied by Super Rugby?
Howdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #99
Blah
Jafa

One wonders how a team from the "islands" is even viable. Which country would that be? Fiji? Politically unstable and on unfriendly terms with NZ. Plus their economy is too small to make a profit one would think.

The rest of the islands are way too small. All of Samoa has less people than Waitakere City with a lot less disposable income.

So then what? Base it in Auckland? That's just going to take away support from the Blues.

And then we have a team from Japan. Oh joy, let's watch a bunch of over the hill kiwis playing for the Nissan Raiders.

Stupid bastards
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #100
Jandles

Likes (Received): 0

Let South Africa go off and Play with the Northern Hemisphere teams.. The travel between here and there is to friggin long and most teams are ****ed after the long flights.

A rugby comp with 5 teams from aussie, 5 from NZ and 1 or two from the islands would be best.

And then have a 5 nations with SA, Australia, Argentina, Japan and ourselves.

Win win win all round..
Jandles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement