Devon Metro - Page 22 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > South West England

South West England Bristol, Plymouth, Exeter, Bournemouth and the entire South West

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2019, 12:37 AM   #421
tgk300

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLW View Post
This is a suggested alternative to the railway on the beach and also (phase 3) the higher sea wall to the E of Dawlish.

The curve is no sharper than that at Dawlish Warren, although it looks sharper on the small scale map. There are problems (land purchase) and the tunnel is about 1/2 mile and 2 miles to Teignmouth. It would be popular I am sure. Another alternative is partly shown to the west of Teignmouth, but the tunnel would be longer.

Sea Wall. & inland. by Richard James, on Flickr
Where did you get that information from? Personally, I can't see it happening not for a few years at least. I still think that the Teign Valley line from Marsh Barton to Newton Abbot is the best option as both stubs at either end are already there.
tgk300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2019, 02:29 AM   #422
dronkula

Likes (Received): 558

Here's an item in Devon Live which covers few different bits of improvement to the railway around here

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...g-loop-3629193

the tldr version:
1) Passing Loop at Crannbrook on Waterloo Line likely at least 10 years away.
1a) After the passing loop is in place, they may review the options of direct Barnstaple to Waterloo trains.
2) Tavistock line extension for heavy rail probably dead - they're looking at other 'off road transport options' for improvements between Tavistock and Plymouth
3) Okehampton extension is apparently delayed at GWR who are meant to be looking into this
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 12:07 PM   #423
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1801

The Okehampton situation pretty much sums up the UK attitude to opening up new railways. There you have a line where the infrastructure is all there ready to go and they are still faffing about undertaking reviews. I do wonder if the problem is actually they don't have enough rolling stock for said operations. As for Tavistock; going by the Okehampton basis, there is no chance of them getting that line together. It's the South West.....Just chuck a few extra buses on the existing inadequate farm track trunk road. That'll do.
cyril sneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 10:25 PM   #424
RickLW

Likes (Received): 889

Yes its about time they 'bite the bullet' and do the necessary improvements to rail, road and air. But not likely. All those I have talked to are...well like talking to a brick wall. I would never suggest opening a loss making line, but those that pay eventually have to be a benefit to leisure and business. Of course in WW2 they could do all this in five minutes.

The point about Tavistock is to connect W Devon to the network, not only Plymouth, but to Okehampton, Exeter and beyond. Seems a great boost to the town that would be widely welcomed I am sure. I was also looking at the junction at Lydford for the north Cornwall line to Launceston, Wadebridge & Padstow. People would jump at this, but the usage (although likely to be quite good) set against the cost is likely to be a non starter!

At least the Heathfield to Newton Abbot line is mainly intact with rails (unlike the Bere Alston -Tavistock section). Not a big population at Heathfield/Bovey Tracey, but a park and ride car park should make it popular & possibly viable.

The map above is one of my lash ups. I was just looking at Google to see where it could go with a minimum of tunneling and without houses. Just a theory -as an alternative to a railway on the beach...there may be possibilities or not.

The former railways of north Cornwall:

N Cornwall Railway by Richard James, on Flickr
RickLW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 11:51 PM   #425
tgk300

Quote:
Yes its about time they 'bite the bullet' and do the necessary improvements to rail, road and air. But not likely. All those I have talked to are...well like talking to a brick wall. I would never suggest opening a loss making line, but those that pay eventually have to be a benefit to leisure and business. Of course in WW2 they could do all this in five minutes.

The point about Tavistock is to connect W Devon to the network, not only Plymouth, but to Okehampton, Exeter and beyond. Seems a great boost to the town that would be widely welcomed I am sure. I was also looking at the junction at Lydford for the north Cornwall line to Launceston, Wadebridge & Padstow. People would jump at this, but the usage (although likely to be quite good) set against the cost is likely to be a non starter!

At least the Heathfield to Newton Abbot line is mainly intact with rails (unlike the Bere Alston -Tavistock section). Not a big population at Heathfield/Bovey Tracey, but a park and ride car park should make it popular & possibly viable.

The map above is one of my lash ups. I was just looking at Google to see where it could go with a minimum of tunneling and without houses. Just a theory -as an alternative to a railway on the beach...there may be possibilities or not.

The former railways of north Cornwall:

N Cornwall Railway by Richard James, on Flickr
Nice idea but I don't think that its going to happen. I would personally like to see Feniton to Sidmouth reopen, it would be possible and has been listed as a prority 2 line.
Old December 12th, 2019, 12:32 PM   #426
cyril sneer

I really don't think the Heathfield line is as straight forward as it would seem. Yes it still has some stretches of the line in place but they have built the A38 on a long stretch of it, one of the tunnels at Longdown has collapsed, and they have built the Alphington A30 junction on another part of the line. The line was always slow anyway.

Re Sidmouth; I read somewhere that in recent years they filled in a tunnel that ran beneath the A30 for the Sidmouth line when they were doing improvements to the A30. This line should probably be filed under the pipedream section on the front page of this thread.

RickLW liked this post
Old December 12th, 2019, 07:29 PM   #427
tgk300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
I really don't think the Heathfield line is as straight forward as it would seem. Yes it still has some stretches of the line in place but they have built the A38 on a long stretch of it, one of the tunnels at Longdown has collapsed, and they have built the Alphington A30 junction on another part of the line. The line was always slow anyway.

Re Sidmouth; I read somewhere that in recent years they filled in a tunnel that ran beneath the A30 for the Sidmouth line when they were doing improvements to the A30. This line should probably be filed under the pipedream section on the front page of this thread.
NR has said that if the Teign Valley line was to open, significant work would need to be done to modify the A30, as well as a viaduct up and out of marsh Barton.
Old December 20th, 2019, 01:37 AM   #428
RickLW

A train was delayed for 2 hours at Starcross today because water had got into the engine from high tide/storms at Dawlish. It did not state the train type (important), but was a Penzance to Paddington service. So an IET then. I wonder if this will be an ongoing problem? I keep an eye on the trains here after all the hype & publicity.

There were also cancellations and trains running down on the 'up' line to keep back from the highest waves. It must be a challenge keeping the trains going in these conditions - that the general Joe public never hear about!
Old December 20th, 2019, 11:58 PM   #429
Stuu

Likes (Received): 1118

I suppose if it is an ongoing problem with the IETs then NR could always electrify the Dawlish section to avoid the issue
Stuu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2019, 12:04 AM   #430
tgk300

Quote:
A train was delayed for 2 hours at Starcross today because water had got into the engine from high tide/storms at Dawlish. It did not state the train type (important), but was a Penzance to Paddington service. So an IET then. I wonder if this will be an ongoing problem? I keep an eye on the trains here after all the hype & publicity.

There were also cancellations and trains running down on the 'up' line to keep back from the highest waves. It must be a challenge keeping the trains going in these conditions - that the general Joe public never hear about!
If this does become and ongoing issue and the IET's cannot cope with the Dawlish Sea Wall, then we have a major crisis as we have around 26 years of DFT/GWR and Hitachi contract left.

The IET's better be well protected against salt water corrosion as well as other salt water related damages as according to various sources, the GWR HST powercars and mk3's were in the worst condition out of all HST stock. Wouldn't suprise me if we see IET sets with major corrosion issues within the next few years causing major problems. It was/is the same story with the GWR Class 150's and 143's. They all suffer with severe corrosion that is far worse than units of the same class use by other TOC's. This is not a fault with the staff at Exeter TMD, or Laira depot, it's purley down to their harsh operating condtions.

Using the up line as a bi directional line during storm conditions is nothing new and was done in the steam days, however, with todays more intensive timetbale and with increased attention paid to journey times, It is know longer a viable solution to the Dawlish issue.
Old December 21st, 2019, 12:31 AM   #431
RickLW

Interesting thanks. Good points.
Old December 21st, 2019, 01:25 AM   #432
Stuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgk300 View Post
Wouldn't suprise me if we see IET sets with major corrosion issues within the next few years causing major problems.
They have aluminium bodies, so they should be a lot more resistant to corrosion than steel-bodied trains
Old December 21st, 2019, 04:34 PM   #433
tgk300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
They have aluminium bodies, so they should be a lot more resistant to corrosion than steel-bodied trains
It was the main frames that were suffering on the Class 150's and HST's. Aluminium bodied trains maybe more resistant, but they are not immune from damage.
Old December 21st, 2019, 11:43 PM   #434
Stuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgk300 View Post
It was the main frames that were suffering on the Class 150's and HST's. Aluminium bodied trains maybe more resistant, but they are not immune from damage.
Mk3 carriages are monocoque construction, what do you mean by frames?

Aluminium is not immune from damage but it should last a bit better, besides the HSTs have been running along there for 40 odd years so its not as if their life expectancy has been dramatically shortened
Old December 23rd, 2019, 07:43 PM   #435
tgk300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
Mk3 carriages are monocoque construction, what do you mean by frames?

Aluminium is not immune from damage but it should last a bit better, besides the HSTs have been running along there for 40 odd years so its not as if their life expectancy has been dramatically shortened
I was more talking about the Class 43 powercars than the mk3's.
Old December 24th, 2019, 02:49 AM   #436
tgk300

Major delays between Tiverton Parkway and Taunton this morning/evening due to a collision between a car and a train. Mainly effecting the Somerset area but is having a knock on effect down to Devon as well.
Old December 26th, 2019, 02:42 PM   #437
tgk300

I believe that there are Christmas Engineering works occuring today at Exeter St Davids to replace the track on platfroms 4 and 5.
Old January 5th, 2020, 03:23 PM   #438
dronkula

Likes (Received): 558

Network rail have kicked off the next round of consultations over the Dawlish/Teignmouth proposals.

If someone can get to one of these, apparently there's a 10ft model of the line that will be on display.

List of consultation events

Dawlish Warren Langstone Cliff Hotel, Mount Pleasant Road, Dawlish Warren, EX7 0NA Monday 20 January 4pm to 8pm

Teignmouth Teignmouth Golf Club, Haldon Moor, Teignmouth, TQ14 9NY Tuesday 21 January 4pm to 8pm

Newton Abbot The Racecourse, Newton Road, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 3AF Wednesday 22 January 12pm to 4pm

Holcombe Holcombe (Village Hall) Holcombe, Dawlish, EX7 0JT Thursday 23 January 12pm to 4pm

Torquay Grand Hotel, Seafront, Torquay, TQ2 6N Friday 24 January 12pm to 4pm

Holcombe Holcombe (Village Hall) Holcombe, Dawlish, EX7 0JT Monday 3 February 4pm to 8pm

Exeter Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel, Queen Street, Exeter, EX4 3SP Tuesday 4 February 4pm to 8pm

Newton Abbot The Racecourse, Newton Road, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 3AF Wednesday 5 February 4pm to 8pm

Teignmouth Teignmouth Golf Club, Haldon Moor, Teignmouth, TQ14 9NY Thursday 6 February 12pm to 4pm

Dawlish Council Chamber, Dawlish Town Council Office, The Manor House, Old Town Street, Dawlish, EX7 9AP Friday 7 February 12pm to 4pm

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...s-move-3703166

cyril sneer liked this post
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2020, 07:57 PM   #439
cyril sneer

I'll try and go to the Exeter event.
Old January 6th, 2020, 06:17 PM   #440
fancyabrew

Likes (Received): 151

Why nothing in plymouth or Cornwall for that matter. What happens here is important to further down the line
fancyabrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement