TORBAY | Full Summary of Projects - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > South West England

South West England Bristol, Plymouth, Exeter, Bournemouth and the entire South West

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Dartzap

Likes (Received): 9

TORBAY | Full Summary of Projects

Torbaydos! Second largest population in Devon after Plymouth, so one should expect some development right? right....? right! No real pics, but if I happen across a good one, I'll drop it here.

Nothing overly tall, as I'm sure you can imagine, but some are of a fair size, width wise.

Kingskerswell Bypass
The somewhat infamously half-a-century in the planning bypass.

£45m development of former gasworks site

changes to road layout currently underway before the diggers go in properly.

See any others? Drop 'em here!

Last edited by Dartzap; July 12th, 2014 at 01:01 PM.
Dartzap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Dartzap

Apperently I need to not have so many links, sad times

other developments include:

New outdoor Velodrome

Tarmacking complete and now in occasional use.

[URL="http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Landmark-building-rises-seafront/story-20613274-detail/story.html"]Abbey Sands apartments and restaurant[/URL

Other projects that are observable from the 12: Large Mcarthy and Stone complex near Oldway Manor, Paignton

New apartment complex overlooking Torquay Harbour.

Torquay Pavillion has been designed and resigned several times now, with no real agreement about what it should be.

Other infrastructure: New railway station planned for Edginswell, Torquay and a new underground water storage tank near to the Abbey Sand development, work started in the last few weeks.
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #3
jimbogreen

Likes (Received): 74

Is Plymouth no longer in Devon? I just ask as you've said Torbay has the 2nd largest population in Devon after exeter!
jimbogreen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Dartzap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbogreen View Post
Is Plymouth no longer in Devon? I just ask as you've said Torbay has the 2nd largest population in Devon after exeter!
Well the Janners are a special lot..... I meant to say after Plymouth!
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #5
surveyingsteve
tails tail

Likes (Received): 58

I see the flyover at Penn Inn roundabout is beginning to go up. I'm impressed how they've kept the traffic disruption down to a minimum, so far.
surveyingsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Dartzap

Its probably quicker than its been for years! Still takes 40 mins to get from Torquay to Penn Inn, though!
Old March 20th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #7
Dartzap

Things are starting to happen around the Bay, which I can only assume is something to do with a Super Blue Moon being Eclipsed

Horrid Express

Quote:
PAIGNTON Pier is to undergo a massive re-build in a project hailed by tourism chiefs as a huge boost for the resort.

The owners of the pier have been given the go-ahead for major renovation work that will change the face of the existing structure.

The proposals, approved by planners on Monday, will see a first floor added to the pier's existing arcade, along with new entrance towers and re-cladding of the current buildings.

An outdoor cafe will occupy the first floor, offering views across Paignton and the rest of Torbay.

In her report, planning officer Carly Perkins said the new designs would make 'make a positive contribution to the tourism offer in Paignton'.

She said the proposals reflect the pier's original 1878 design with its 'carnivalesque' roof and colourful use of lighting.

Horrid Express

Quote:
A £70MILLION homes and shopping complex for Paignton has got the go ahead.

Developers of the former Nortel/Bookham site (pictured) — now called Devonshire Park — off Torbay Ring Road were given the green light from planners. Members of the development management committee agreed the outline application which included the creation of a new junction off Brixham Road, which currently leads to the back of South Devon College, and access off Long Road to the new site.

The application was for 255 homes, warehouse and bulky good retail units, garden centre, cafe/restaurant.

Horrid Express

Quote:
TORQUAY'S long awaited multi-million Torwood Street development has been given the go-ahead despite fears about its impact on the town's conservation area.

English Heritage has maintained its concern that the proposed 131-bedroom hotel development will 'loom' over parts of the harbour area.

Torbay councillors gave the go-ahead after hearing that English Heritage's call for a further ten bedrooms to be removed, on top of the four already agreed, would make the scheme unviable.

The £14million plans for the area located between numbers 4 and 24 Torwood Street also includes three restaurants, three offices and a gym, creating between 320 to 410 new jobs.

Torbay Council's development management committee meeting on Monday decided that despite English Heritage's reservations the scheme should go ahead
Now all they need to sort out is the Pavilions. I suspect that's going to take years of wrangling to be done though, and potentially legal challenges.

Horrid Express

Quote:
THE public will be able to see first hand the proposals for the new Torquay marina car park and Pavilion development at an exhibition this month.

Developer Nicolas James Group has announced it will be mounting a display of images and giving details of its latest plans at an exhibition on Friday, December 12.

Among the images in the new planning application are impressions of how the development, including a proposed 14 storey landmark tower at the seaward end, could look from different angles.

In the application it explains it had been asked to go for a taller, slimmer tower, creating a 'prominent stop end which would be visible from wider vantage points around Torbay'.

There's a slot of arguments about it not being in the style of Torquay. This is a fascinating argument, as uh, Torquay doesn't have any singular style, its a massive hodgepodge from the last three hundred years of people going on jollies there.

neuphin, cyril sneer liked this post
Old March 20th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #8
neuphin

Likes (Received): 149

That'll certainly make an impact, that tower on the Marina car park site.
It has always been a bit of a strange place to have a big low level , area taking, car park, right by the harbourside. Will be good to see the Pavilions given new life too, sad to see how empty it always was on my last few visits there.

That Paignton pier plan sounds intriguing - will certainly be a difference to the current strucutre, hope it's carried out to a good quality.
Old March 25th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #9
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1813

Glad to see Paignton Pier getting a renovation and good to see it will be getting a sympathetic revamp in lines of the original Victorian look of the pier rather than a modern addition.
cyril sneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #10
Dartzap

Horrid Express

Quote:
BOAT building could be returning to Brixham for the first time in decades after an internationally-successful business confirmed it was considering a move to the Bay.

Torbay Council has revealed it is in 'well developed' talks with an undisclosed company to re-locate part of its catamaran-building business to Oxen Cove.

If agreed the deal would bring a 'fully-functioning boat building and assembly operation to Brixham'.

Boats up to 30 metres could be built for the first time in more than 30 years in the port.

At one point in the town's history there were ten boatyards operating in the port, with Uphams Yard being the last to close in the 1980s to make way for housing development.

Looks like the effects of the new bypass are being felt sooner than expected.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #11
Elpaso1990tx

Likes (Received): 2

Are there any plans yet to demolish the ugly concrete Crossways shopping centre in Paignton?
The place is largely empty, bleak and totally grim. In addition its in the wrong place!
When people go shopping in Paignton they walk up and down the Main Street from the Bus/train station to sea front. There is little to attract them to make a diversion along Hyde Road away from the main shops to a semi derelict precinct. Even if there were some good shops, they'd have to be very good for people to go there.

I'd say tear it down, replace it with a park or affordable housing or both.
Elpaso1990tx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #12
cyril sneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpaso1990tx View Post
Are there any plans yet to demolish the ugly concrete Crossways shopping centre in Paignton?
The place is largely empty, bleak and totally grim. In addition its in the wrong place!
When people go shopping in Paignton they walk up and down the Main Street from the Bus/train station to sea front. There is little to attract them to make a diversion along Hyde Road away from the main shops to a semi derelict precinct. Even if there were some good shops, they'd have to be very good for people to go there.

I'd say tear it down, replace it with a park or affordable housing or both.
It is grim. Reminds me of the Old Drakes Circus precinct. I'm not aware of any plans to get rid of it. Paington is a funny place really. It doesn't have the big(ish) chain stores that Torquay has and it doesn't have the nice independent shops and eating places Brixham has. it just seems to be full of amusement arcades and tatty tourist shops.
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #13
Dartzap

One small bit of news, and a colossal face palm bit of news from the Bay.

Herald Express

Quote:
planning application has been submitted for the new Edginswell railway station on the outskirts of Torquay.

This follows a presentation of the draft plans to the local Community Partnership group in December where a number of comments and feedback were received.

Torbay Council says these have now been incorporated, where possible, into the new application and address the design, landscaping, ecology and flood risk concerns.

The new station, which is supported by Torbay Council, is expected to open in 2018, and will consist of two platforms, both with access to shelters, ticket machines, real time information lighting and CCTV.

The station will be fully accessible to all with pedestrian access from both Newton Road and Riviera Way via steps, ramps and a footbridge to platform

Herald Express

Quote:
CLAIM for more than £8million damages has been issued by the would-be Oldway Mansion developers against Torbay Council, it has been confirmed.

The company has lodged the claim for damages at a court in Bristol.

Oldway Mansion Ltd, a company set up by the Akkeron Group, says the action has been taken because it still wants to draw down the leases and start its proposed housing and four star luxury hotel development at the historic Paignton estate.

Torbay Council says it denies the allegations and will 'robustly' defend its position.
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #14
cyril sneer

Thats that Plymouth Argyle chairman's firm isn't it? No wonder he's trying his luck seeing as he blatently skint. The guy is a con now trying to sue a local council for a stupid amount of money.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 09:14 PM   #15
Dartzap

Today in 'things wot smell fishy'

Horrid Express

Quote:
TORQUAY United are in talks with a major American development company and Plainmoor landlords Torbay Council over an ambitious new stadium scheme in the Barton area of the town.

The relegation-haunted Gulls say that, if negotiations between the council and the developers go well, they could leave their home of 105 years and be in the new £7.5 million stadium, which would have a 4G all-weather pitch and an initial capacity of 6,000, as early as the 2017-2018 season.

Torbay's Mayor Gordon Oliver joined club officials and guests at a scheduled 'Business Breakfast' at the Launa Windows Stadium today to announce the plans.

The new ground, which could be called the Riviera Stadium, will be on part of a 42-acre site between the Willows retail and residential area and Torbay Crematorium.

Given TUFC are unlikely to exist in a few years, one wonders if the Yank investors are a con,or have mistaken it for a team in Australia!
Old February 3rd, 2016, 11:05 PM   #16
cyril sneer

Torquay United are slowly dissappearing which is a shame for football in the South West. 6,000 capacity does not speak volumes of confidence for the club being able to play in the football league again. Torbay Council should be doing all they can to get the football club out of the mire they currently find themselves in financially as the club undoubtably brings money into the town with travelling supporters.
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #17
shard97

Likes (Received): 2270

Could someone be so kind as to neatly summarise all of the projects taking place in Torbay? I'm planning something along the lines of a sticky post based around the entire Home Counties and South West area. Thanks
shard97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 09:32 AM   #18
dronkula

Likes (Received): 560

Just to give this topic a bit of TLC...

Quote:
Torquay's £32m Pavilion project APPROVED by planners
Read more at http://www.devonlive.com/torquay-s-3...ASyoKdv4Ggt.99

The future of Torquay Pavilion has been decided - with planners voting in favour of the £32 million scheme.

Planners had been recommended to approve the application by the Nicolas James Group who want to bring their luxury brand of Harbour Hotels to the resort.

However a huge crowd of objectors attended the meeting, claiming the development would ruin the harbour conservation area.

The approved plans include a car park a multi storey 60 bed hotel, a five and 11 storey block of 43 residential apartments, ground floor restaurants and shops.

How planners voted:

For: Cllr Roger Stringer, Cllr Barbara Cunningham, Cllr Anna Tolchard, Cllr Thomas Winfield, Cllr Jane Barnbym, Cllr Mark Kingscote (Chair)

Against: Cllr Mike Morey, Cllr Steve Darling

Abstained: Cllr Chris Robson

Mrs Susie Colley, chairman of the Torquay Chamber of Commerce, said: "This proposed development has been screaming for redevelopment for far too long.

"Approval would invite other investors and developers to help town centre regeneration."

Speaking against the plans, Cllr Robert Excell said: "Most people I have spoken to would like to see the pavilion saved.

"Concerns about the size of the new build, backed up by reports of loss of light, have been rife. The majority of people I have spoken to also object to the loss of Cary Green as a car park, and the loss of the views out to sea around the harbour.

"Other plans, with more consideration of the harbour and the surrounding areas have been submitted, but not considered."

Cllr Mandy Darling said: "No one can deny that the pavilion is in a despicable state of disrepair and it is heartbreaking to see such a beautiful building like it is today.

"There is certainly a need to invest in this area in order to preserve the pavilion, bring business to the area and protect our beautiful sea front - but at what cost?

"Many local residents have contacted me in favour of some sort of development, but not to the degree that is proposed before us. I believe this development is overkill."
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #19
cyril sneer

Sounds like the keep Torquay brigade were out in force. From what I can see its going to be built on a surface level car park on a prime waterfront plot. The tower is admittably not an amazing design but its not a poor design either. If the money from the development goes to refurbishing the Pavilion then alls good in my book.

Torquay has so much potential in my opinion. Hopefully something like this along with the new South Devon link road can kickstart some more speculative development interest in the town, in particular its waterfront. The High Street could do with tidying up too.

RickLW liked this post
Old March 4th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #20
RickLW

Likes (Received): 898

I notice there are a lot of objections and maybe even an appeal. You cannot believe them can you? That terrible scruffy town centre, with those low rise Victorian houses/ shops - why don't they get on about that? Not only could it be smarter, but also attract more shoppers, and a sense of pride. So many are happy with places being scruffy, although they do moan about empty shops. This building on the sea front looks great (picture taken 1/3/2017). True it is apartments for the rich, but a rather less spec building in this style in the town centre would be a big improvement. These could be built in stages and they would also provide extra housing above, albeit for affordable homes, buy for rent/ holiday apartments or higher priced homes.

Sea Front apartments and sops by Richard James, on Flickr
RickLW está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement