SA News/Spam Thread - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > South Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #1
Adder-Laid
no way sis

Likes (Received): 3

SA News/Spam Thread

done and done!
Adder-Laid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Mants
transatlanticism

Likes (Received): 5

Adelaide culture

i was just curious to know where people believe the trendy or "best" parts of Adelaide to be and those which show the greatest potential.

i believe that king william street and rundle street are the epitome of "trendy" in Adelaide. o'connell, melbourne and gouger streets would be close behind.

there are certain places which have been developed in the wrong way and have lost their character (especially the norwood parade) and other areas which are downright dumpy (jetty road, etc)
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 495

As discussed with you earlier, here is a list I compiled of what I believed to be the current trendiest locations and also the ones with the greatest potential.

Rundle St and KW Road top the list by far but I find O'Connel to be just as good on a busy night. I put it in first tier because it has the most potential of all places, especially with the Le Cornu site development.

First tier

Rundle St
King William Road
O'Connell St

Second Tier

Hindley St
Norwood Parade
Melbourne St
Unley Rd
Henley Square
Gouger St

Third Tier

Glenelg (Marina + Jetty Rd)
Hutt St

Fourth Tier

Brighton (Jetty Rd)
Goodwood Rd
Prospect Rd
Henley Beach Rd
Fullarton Rd

Last edited by Giorgio; January 24th, 2008 at 03:48 PM.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Mants
transatlanticism

you have included a few interesting ones, especially within the fourth tier.

fullarton road, i believe, has great potential, as it has already established many boutique and niche shops.

the arkaba tavern, on the corner of glen osmond road, is also one of the best in adelaide.

prospect road, however, shows the greatest potential. if it is developed correctly, i believe it could be on par with roads such as king william and o'connell.
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #5
mkclassic

Likes (Received): 0

Arkaba was a fantastic place to go to back in its heyday - early/mid 90s. I was a regular as a kid. Nowadays, it seems to have lost its touche, that and a rat plague infested the building some time ago.
mkclassic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #6
Mants
transatlanticism

it's recently been redeveloped with a beer garden, etc. and also won an aword for the best sports pub in adelaide.

it's still good.
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #7
Mpol

Likes (Received): 91

Apparently Adelaide is a clique city. We keep to ourselves, generally and aren't always the most welcoming of outsiders or so my family up in Queensland tell me.) I do agree that we're clique but not in a bad way. I love the diversity of people here. I just came back from the Gold Coast and felt all the more stupid being up there. They are either dense or take strong vallium. And the diversity of cultures is really lacking (baring the tourists.) I came back to Adelaide and didn't feel out of place.

Last edited by Mpol; January 25th, 2008 at 06:30 AM.
Mpol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #8
crawf

Likes (Received): 597

Glen Osmond Road could be bit of a trendy strip again if it had a makeover and a tramline, though its not very suitable for a tramline but still it would give the road a new life and would replace bus services.

Though the development of Harbourtown at West Beach has just completely killed the strip, so theres little hope for G.O Road unless it got a huge makeover and even looking at the option of having 3-7 level apartment buildings with ground floor shops.
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #9
StopTheWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpol View Post
Apparently Adelaide is a clique city. We keep to ourselves, generally and aren't always the most welcoming of outsiders or so my family up in Queensland tell me.) I do agree that we're clique but not in a bad way.
thats an accurate call. which is a very small town aspect of Adelaide.

Adelaide people tend to make most of their friends while they're at high school and uni, and dont tend to welcome new friends after that.

Married Adelaideans tend not to go out that much.
StopTheWar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #10
crawf

Right.
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Mpol

HAHAHA riiight. I don't know about the older generation but I can tell you that my generation certainly know how to party. LMAO. I'm not even going to continue to comment. Hahaha.
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #12
StopTheWar

i'm guessing you're under 23

...but the clique thing, is not just my opinion. its a pretty well known phenomenon amongst people who've traveled or left or have arrived from elsewhere.

many i know.
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #13
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 384

Adelaide has heaps of cred -- half Melbourne's music scene seems to consist of 'laideKids.
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #14
crawf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopTheWar View Post

i'm guessing you're under 23

...but the clique thing, is not just my opinion. its a pretty well known phenomenon amongst people who've traveled or left or have arrived from elsewhere.

many i know.

Married Adelaideans tend not to go out that much.
Are you just speaking of yourself?

Last edited by crawf; January 25th, 2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #15
StopTheWar

well thats the case in the majority straight culture anyway.

i cant speak for your or any other scenes.
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #16
Mpol

No it's not.
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #17
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 495

Its definetly true that we seem to be a clique city keeping to ourselves.
Just go down the road to Melbourne and notice the difference...they all seem much friendlier elsewhere because everyone is more open.

Anyway, topic seems to have shifted slightly. G.O Road wasn't killed by Harbour Town. It wasn't all that great in that aspect to begin with. Theres too much competition now of where to go in Adelaide. We have so many great streets and roads full of cafes and restaurants and we may be lacking the population to sustain so many of these locations, especially since there seems to be plenty of dead beat citizens in Adelaide...maybe because its an aging population.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #18
crawf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopTheWar
well thats the case in the majority straight culture anyway.

i cant speak for your or any other scenes.
Er my 'scene'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
Its definetly true that we seem to be a clique city keeping to ourselves.
Just go down the road to Melbourne and notice the difference...they all seem much friendlier elsewhere because everyone is more open.
Pfft its no better than Adelaide, residents in both cities can be very friendly and helpful and then they can be the most rudest people around, like any city really.

I really do not believe that one or the other is friendlier, they are both the same they are probably just much more friendlier than Sydney. Though if you think Adelaide is 'clique' :O, go and live in a country town, Adelaide is nothing compared to the country.

Quote:
Anyway, topic seems to have shifted slightly. G.O Road wasn't killed by Harbour Town. It wasn't all that great in that aspect to begin with. Theres too much competition now of where to go in Adelaide. We have so many great streets and roads full of cafes and restaurants and we may be lacking the population to sustain so many of these locations, especially since there seems to be plenty of dead beat citizens in Adelaide...maybe because its an aging population.
Harbourtown has played a part in the death of G.O Road, thats why most of the factory outlets have closed in the last few years. I'll agree with alot of precincts for our size, though increased population in the inner suburbs would fix that (CBD is getting there).

Anyway G.O Road, was the place to go for factory outlets. So the only competition it has is Harbourtown if they wasn't built, it would be more busier than it is now.
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #19
Cruise
Crazy young doge man

Likes (Received): 917

This is a stupid arguement, when we are done comparing Adelaide to Melbourne i think we should then start comparing ourselves to London.
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #20
Mozsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise View Post
This is a stupid arguement, when we are done comparing Adelaide to Melbourne i think we should then start comparing ourselves to London.
Why do we need to compare ourselves? Adelaide is by far the most liveable major city in Australia and probably one of the better ones in the world in general.

If we (as a state) focused our energies on improving things here ( i.e infrastructure and our population.) instead of comparing Adelaide to other places we would get a whole lot more done.

We need to shape our own identity. We are more than Balfours frog cakes and Stobbie poles.

Rann should be lobbying Rudd to change our immigration laws to encourage more people to migrate to S.A.
Advertisement

Tags
adelaide, australia, mandurahboyz, new city, skyline