How the BBC is short changing the Midlands - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > The Lunar Society

The Lunar Society The Birmingham Metro Area Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

How the BBC is short changing the Midlands

Well before I start, I do hope this thread is not allowed to be ruined by a few idiots. I'm happy to have this as the only post and have the thread locked if need be, and made a sticky for a few months. It's just stating the obvious but thought it worth posting.

After two recent polls on Skyscrapercity, it is now quite apparent that the overwhelming majority of Brummies here are in complete disarray of how the BBC have, and continue to, treat the second largest city of Britain with complete and utter contempt. One poll was locked, the other deleted but both were heading in the same direction and they reflect the feeling of many other people I talk to, not just in Birmingham but in surrounding areas. I'm sure this is not just a Birmingham problem, other large towns and cities throught Britain may well be extremely concerned about where, or who, their licence fee is now being siphoned off to.

The people of Birmingham continue to generate thousands upon thousands of pounds of revenue for the BBC through taxes and the licence fee. Unfortunately, it appears we get very little back in return for that investment. Furthermore, it is now evident we will be getting even less in the not too distant future, there seems to be a shift of investment into other "favoured" cities.

If the BBC were say, Marketing Birmingham, then they would have been binned off years ago, but the organisation is not supposed to be anti or pro anywhere, priding itself as being unbiased and funded by the people to serve us all.. well, that is what we are led to believe?!

As an example, Marketing Manchester commissioned a poll about which was the second city of England some years ago, the BBC covered this nationally claiming Manchester was the new 'Second City of England'. Not content with this, the BBC later commissioned their own poll on exactly the same topic, placing Manchester as the first choice on the questionairre, and in the wake of their earlier reporting of Manchester being considered the Second City of England, it's no surprise who came out smelling of roses again. As their own press release conceded "The title of second city is unofficial but is held in high regard - business leaders admit that it is a useful title for marketing a city, helping to attract tourism, industry and investment." (a freebie for Manchester then).

So, why did the BBC get involved? After this, the BBC announced their move to their newly declared 'Second City of England' at Media City (the BBC move 'allowed' the development to happen). In response, Birmingham loses many departments from the Mailbox.

Have Birmingham, and other parts of the UK been 'stitched up' by some of the hierachy at the BBC? Do they know something we do not? Is it a mad dash to squirrel away money in ocffers before something unimaginable happens?

There is still some very high quality content from the organisation, but it is the organisations job to distribute the wealth of the licence fee evenly and without bias. On the basis of how the BBC has treated the people of Birmingham in recent years, I consider it fair to suggest that we no longer have to contribute towards an organisation which actually grabs a great deal more than it gives back. I'd rather see them stay of course, and invest more in the region. But if this is not the case, which it clearly isn't, then let us invest that money into a new base for the ITV or other T.V. station and have done with it.

If you feel strongly about this subject and wish to contribute your signature or opinion to staff at the BBC in Birmingham, then please visit this Save The BBC website.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #2
LNGCats
BANNED

Likes (Received): 573

Who make the mistake of not differentiating the difference between the valid concerns about the lack of BBC representation outside of London, which is only now starting to be rectified, with a crank belief that somehow the BBC has something in for Brum in particular.

You could have similar discussions just about everywhere in the UK and there is a common feeling that the BBC is far too London centric - hence they are starting to move to the area where this feeling was held most strongly - they have made it clear as this has been a success they plan to do more of it.

Your problem is you are so inward looking, you fail to acknowledge that the situation that Brum experiences is no different from anywhere else in the UK - with the exeption of Salford which is the first step towards resolving this issue.

This is nothing particular against Brum, this is nothing particularly in favour of Salford (or Manchester), it is a symptom of the London-centric nature that the BBC became under John Birt who believed that the whole BBC should be based in London.

Split the two issues and you will get 100% agreement that everyone wants more BBC investment in Brum.

Keep confusing the issues about some sort of anti-Brum / pro-Manc attitutude in the BBC and you just make yourself look like an idiot.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Where are you from? Manchester or Salford?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #4
RM6721
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Who make the mistake of not differentiating the difference between the valid concerns about the lack of BBC representation outside of London, which is only now starting to be rectified, with a crank belief that somehow the BBC has something in for Brum in particular.

You could have similar discussions just about everywhere in the UK and there is a common feeling that the BBC is far too London centric - hence they are starting to move to the area where this feeling was held most strongly - they have made it clear as this has been a success they plan to do more of it.

Your problem is you are so inward looking, you fail to acknowledge that the situation that Brum experiences is no different from anywhere else in the UK - with the exeption of Salford which is the first step towards resolving this issue.

This is nothing particular against Brum, this is nothing particularly in favour of Salford (or Manchester), it is a symptom of the London-centric nature that the BBC became under John Birt who believed that the whole BBC should be based in London.

Split the two issues and you will get 100% agreement that everyone wants more BBC investment in Brum.

Keep confusing the issues about some sort of anti-Brum / pro-Manc attitutude in the BBC and you just make yourself look like an idiot.
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #5
LNGCats
BANNED

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
Where are you from? Manchester or Salford?
Trafford.

Why?
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #6
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 103

Is it me or is Suzanne Virdee getting hotter?

'False media - we don't need it do we?'
hammerb24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerb24 View Post
Is it me or is Suzanne Virdee getting hotter?
Very much so, thought I was the alone in that fantasy.
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

How The BBC is Short Changing The Midlands

Seeing as this thread and this one were closed a while ago.

I think the BBC chiefs seem to have been consistently doing the city and region over.

Wondered if anyone had read the front page of the Birmingham Post?

Finally the proof is in the pudding, I knew this would eventually come across regardless of what a few were saying on here. I don't really care whether it's biased towards Manchester, biased against Birmingham, biased towards London.. who cares, the figures are stacking up and this region is not getting value for money from employment to programming.

Last edited by Elizabeth Kinoke; March 28th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

This sounds more promising though, now there is a change in leadership.

BBC vows to plan for more investment in Birmingham and West Midlands

http://www.birminghampost.net/news/w...#ixzz2OqBp5T4t

Quote:
A BBC spokeswoman said Mr Davie had a ‘‘constructive’’ meeting with MPs where he ‘‘emphasised the BBC’s continuing commitment to Birmingham”.

Mr Davie became acting director general of the BBC following the resignation of George Entwistle over a Newsnight investigation into child abuse.

Lord Hall, a former pupil at King Edward's School in Edgbaston, takes over as director general on April 1.
It really didn't surprise me how the BBC had acted over the child abuse scandal, it was obviously part of a much wider level of corruption.. let's hope things improve all around.
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #10
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 225

The BBC recently posted this article on their business news website - it basically goes on about how London is a wonderful first rate city and how the rest of the country is second rate. Why don't you just use the 55 milion people who don't live in London license fee money to tell them how second rate they are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21934564
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #11
o'flaneurie

Likes (Received): 94

This really is a scandal - the figures speak for themselves, and it is totally indefensible. I hope this marks just the start of a campaign for more equal representation for Birmingham and the greater Midlands area - both in terms of more production in Birmingham AND a higher profile of Birmingham-set dramas and coverage of the arts scene.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the last time I remember The Post, MPs, councillors and Chamber of Commerce etc all backing a campaign was for the modernisation of New Street station - and that is proving to be a success.
o'flaneurie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:51 PM   #12
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 362

I think the article is pretty much spot on in summing up the state of the country.
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:39 PM   #13
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4473

Siphoning cash from the Midlands to pour into Salford as the costs pile up and up, especially with the next wave of staff relocating at a time when house prices are on the up...

Quote:
Valerie Singleton: BBC presenter attacks 'outrageous' Salford cost move

Valerie Singleton, the BBC presenter, last night criticised the public broadcaster for its relocation expense to Salford.

The former Blue Peter presenter attacked corporation executives for overseeing an “outrageous” cost of moving programmes and staff from London to Greater Manchester.

The veteran broadcaster, who earlier this month joined a protest against a Tesco store development in Dorset, questioned the move, suggesting it was causing standards to slip.

Her intervention also included an attack on Mark Thompson, the former director general, who she claimed should be “strung up” for signing off on the expenses move.

The 75 year-old, who joined the BBC in 1961 as an announcer, told the Daily Mail: “The money it must be costing is outrageous. The stupid thing is that London is where everything happens.”

Since they moved to Manchester, some of the BBC's programmes have struggled to attract guests.

The Telegraph has reported that when BBC Breakfast moved to its new base in Salford, it was forced to conduct 12 interviews via video link in one week because guests were based in London.

Singleton added: “I don’t understand the BBC. Who goes up to Salford? What star coming to London to advertise his movie opening in Leicester Square is going to slog all the way up to Salford to do an on-the-sofa? Of course they’re not.

“The cost is shocking. A friend goes up to Salford to do a programme and he gets his rail fare, he’s put up in a Travelodge and he gets his meals. And that’s just one presenter.”

“People don’t care where the programme is coming from. When I’m listening, I don’t mind whether it’s done in Outer Mongolia if it’s interesting – why do they have to keep telling me it’s from Salford?”

The corporation has come under fire for the cost of moving staff to its new £1  billion headquarters in Salford.

A total of 850 staff have been given £11 million to cover the cost of estate agents’ fees, stamp duty, furnishings, rent and other bills.

The BBC has spent more than £2 million ferrying and flying staff and guests between London, Manchester and Salford in two years.

It has already moved its children’s department; sport; Radio 5 Live and BBC Breakfast, as well as part of its new media division, north to Salford.

A further 1,000 people are to relocate within the next decade, meaning rising costs. A BBC North spokesman was unavailable for comment last night.

But he has previously said the move “represents value” for licence fee payers and the new headquarters had proved to be one of the corporations “most efficient and cost-effective centres”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...cost-move.html
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:09 AM   #14
Ginger Tosser
#pragma

Likes (Received): 12

She has a point, one of the reasons Richard and Judy moved from Liverpool to London was because they had problems getting guests to travel to Liverpool.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:07 PM   #15
neon18

Likes (Received): 1157

From Media Midlands thread!

Quote:
Midlands misses out on millions in BBC 'investment scandal'
By Graeme Brown, Mar 28 2013

BBC staff protest in 2012 at jobs being moved from Birmingham to Bristol and Manchester

The BBC’s lack of backing for the Midlands is costing the local economy an estimated £400 million of much-needed investment every year, according to campaigners.

A new study has revealed that even though the region pays more than anywhere else in total licence fees, it receives back by far the least expenditure from the corporation – a situation described as an “absolute scandal”.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/news/2...#ixzz2PDIsoTX7
neon18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:08 PM   #16
neon18

Likes (Received): 1157

Another post from the Midlands media thread!

Quote:
'BBC is taxing us but not representing us' - campaign demands change
By Graeme Brown, Mar 28 2013

BBC at the Mailbox in Birmingham.

A campaign has been launched to encourage the BBC to invest more of the £4.1 billion it spends every year in the West Midlands. Graeme Brown reports.

The BBC shifting thousands of jobs and hundreds of millions of pounds out of London presented a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the UK’s regions.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/news/w...#ixzz2PDJUewfK
neon18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:55 PM   #17
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Tosser View Post
She has a point, one of the reasons Richard and Judy moved from Liverpool to London was because they had problems getting guests to travel to Liverpool.
It's also the reason the One Show left Brum for London...
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 11:02 PM   #18
daj

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcd1976 View Post
It's also the reason the One Show left Brum for London...
I'm not sure that you are correct. The One Show only did one year at the Mailbox to see if the idea worked. Don't forget when Pebble Mill was in operation before it was replaced by the Mailbox, there was no problem with getting people to travel up the M40/M1 or on rail.
daj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 11:56 PM   #19
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3304

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj View Post
I'm not sure that you are correct. The One Show only did one year at the Mailbox to see if the idea worked. Don't forget when Pebble Mill was in operation before it was replaced by the Mailbox, there was no problem with getting people to travel up the M40/M1 or on rail.
Really? Have you ever seen some of the guests they had on Pebble Mill? I think Dionne Warwick was just about the highest profile guest who got interviewed there. The rest of the time it was Z-list actors, northern comedians and struggling singers.

Let's face it, most high profile celebrities don't want to travel out of the M25. Unless it's to do with football, then they go that extra mile to a certain other city just a bit further up the M6.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:35 AM   #20
daj

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Really? Have you ever seen some of the guests they had on Pebble Mill? I think Dionne Warwick was just about the highest profile guest who got interviewed there. The rest of the time it was Z-list actors, northern comedians and struggling singers.

Let's face it, most high profile celebrities don't want to travel out of the M25. Unless it's to do with football, then they go that extra mile to a certain other city just a bit further up the M6.
I can asure you Pebble Mill had a lot of high profile guests eg Bob Hope, Sophia Loren, Yul Bryner, one of the Watergate journalists,a young Kenneth Brannagh, plus many more. I know because my partner produced a number of the programmes and was responsible for getting many of the the guests. I could get a complete list if you want. I think it is pointless poking fun if you havn't done your research.
daj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement