The Bank | Broad Street | Residential | 33/22fl | 102/68m | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2014, 08:47 PM   #41
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Interesting stuff.

You did state 4 star according to the flyer you saw in the first post on this tread.

IF this is a genuine proposal, then its certainly great news all round.
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2014, 09:30 PM   #42
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 5272

Good stuff!! Can't wait to see it, so next year we will have 4, 18 storey blocks and 2, 22 storey blocks under construction probably. Least we'll have something to keep us busy. Just need a couple breaking the 25 storey mark.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:34 PM   #43
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 552

Sounds like we have all the core details regarding this - Woody can you update the thread title to the usual format

ie:

Left Bank | Broad St | 70m/61m | 22/18 fl | Proposed

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2014, 09:37 PM   #44
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 5272

What piece of land in this part of town is going to house a pinnacle though. That's what I'm concerned about. This will be the densest area in all the regional cities but alpha can't surely remain the top dog forever. We've got the 23 storey paradise circus tower nearby too. Kind of hope moda are eyeing up the broad street tower site. Just a 30 storey there would break up the 60-70m block of midrises.

SimonTheSoundMan, ROYAL BLUE liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:42 PM   #45
Brum Knows Best

Likes (Received): 404

are there any pic of the new buildings ?
Brum Knows Best no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:47 PM   #46
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
Two separate buildings with a public landscaped walkway in between

Hotel block 60.5 metres
Apartment block 69.5 metres

Commercial/retail (high end bars or restaurants or other) at ground floor level in both units.

Hotel would have an entrance on the corner of Broad Street and Oozels street as well as a "drop off" entrance also on Sheepcote Street. They never mentioned the hotel operator but the hotel would have a gym, so I'm guessing its not a low budget operator.

Landscaping with raised grassed areas/trees/greenwall surrounding both buildings.

I believe they said inonised aluminium external finishes (looks ten times better than Dandara's effort at Arena Central).

Goes into planning next week, assuming no problems planning permission by March, clearing site May/June, building start August/September 2015, 24 month build. So you never know may get a start next year!

Funding in place and hotel operator in place.

Architects stated they were trying to expand the Brindleyplace quality and feel across the road.

I was personally very impressed with the quality of the proposal.
Well done, you bloodhound!
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:50 AM   #47
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

This does rile me... holding a public consultation event ONE WEEK before submitting a planning application ...translated to "it doesnt matter what you say, we are submitting next week, this is a tick box exercise"

DBadger, mikey23, Biosonic, Erebus555 liked this post
woodhousen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:59 AM   #48
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 552

Well its a public information exercise that they probably hope will drum up some support... dont think there is actually a need for them to do a formal consultation is there?

cheers for the title change

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:32 AM   #49
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
This does rile me... holding a public consultation event ONE WEEK before submitting a planning application ...translated to "it doesnt matter what you say, we are submitting next week, this is a tick box exercise"
If you do have something to say you can object to the planning application itself.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 02:22 AM   #50
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 794

more speculative plans. I've just seen this thread and frankly I am skeptical. Until there are spades in the ground and buckets pulling up the dirt, I'm afraid this will purely be something to make money on to sell at a higher price.

I've seen their website. There's an awful lot of renders and little in the way of actual physical buildings (Regal Court?). Until then it's probably not worth chatting about for a while.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:37 AM   #51
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8229

I disagree if they've got a hotel operator on board it's going to be a hell of a lot easier to get out the ground, the apartments should sell with ease given the number of schemes going up in the city centre now because of the demand

I think this will get built, regal was too much but this is feasible
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:49 AM   #52
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
Well its a public information exercise that they probably hope will drum up some support... dont think there is actually a need for them to do a formal consultation is there?

cheers for the title change
Its a legal requirement to consult and demonstrate you have involved the local community in the evolution of the design of any major proposal....

all major developments therefore have to consult and demonstrate they have listened to the concerns of the community prior to submitting a planning application.

once and application has been lodged, the only things you are able to comment on are planning matters and as such your influence is vastly limited!
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:39 PM   #53
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
more speculative plans. I've just seen this thread and frankly I am skeptical. Until there are spades in the ground and buckets pulling up the dirt, I'm afraid this will purely be something to make money on to sell at a higher price.

I've seen their website. There's an awful lot of renders and little in the way of actual physical buildings (Regal Court?). Until then it's probably not worth chatting about for a while.
I reckon its pie in the sky too.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 03:42 PM   #54
sefton66

What's the benefit of them paying for further plans though? The original scheme could have been sold, presumably for more given it's status and more rooms?
Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:08 PM   #55
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 789

Your right.
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:52 PM   #56
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

It is probably more to do with the balance sheet of the company. An old unrealistic scheme won't be worth much when they state their assets but a new approved deliverable scheme can be given a value.

I could be wrong but unless there is a news article or press release saying they have funding or a tenant then I have my doubts.

djay liked this post
Biosonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:21 PM   #57
sefton66

Some time back there was an article stating premier inn had signed up

Few months later the revised plans surfaced..

And premier inn that have been spending all across the country seemingly dropped their broad st expansion plans...
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:06 PM   #58
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2115

This was from 3 years ago, we were expecting a reduction in height to 170m at the time. Although disappointed at the time, I'd be happy with Premier Inn now if we were still getting something of that height.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=3041

Quote:
Plans for Regal Tower in Birmingham face being scaled back following the news that the hotel element is being redesigned.

Initially billed as being a luxury hotel space aimed at attracting a leading international brand such as Hilton, news has emerged that the hotel tenant of the proposed skyscraper developed by the Regal Property Group will be Premier Inn.

It seems only natural this should happen. The project originally surfaced back in 2008, and since then the British economy has gone into austerity mode, a change of affairs that is being increasingly represented by changes to tall building designs.

The previous plans foresaw a 289-room hotel but this could be reduced to as little as 200 rooms. In terms of the actual tower this would see about eight or nine floors lopped off the height of it.

Designed by Aedas, the current plans are for a 56 floor, 201 metre tall building. This could be reduced to perhaps 170 metres of height, still enough to make it the tallest in Birmingham.
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:46 PM   #59
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
It is probably more to do with the balance sheet of the company. An old unrealistic scheme won't be worth much when they state their assets but a new approved deliverable scheme can be given a value.

I could be wrong but unless there is a news article or press release saying they have funding or a tenant then I have my doubts.
My thoughts exactly.
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:27 PM   #60
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 243

I love how we have a forum of cynics now!! Haha
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement