Centenary Square Revamp | Broad Street | Public Square | U/C. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2016, 04:53 PM   #21
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwilko View Post
The public competition was won by the one with water around the Hall of Memory if I recall.
That is the problem, people only saw the water feature and overlooked the most important part of the square, which was amongst the worst put forward. Good job the public weren't listened to.
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2016, 04:54 PM   #22
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 943

Thanks for posting Sefton! Good to see some more detail on this. It's a shame we're losing the Persian Rug. It's a pity it couldn't become the base of the reflecting pool.

I can't see a coffee pavilion anywhere on the plan which I think the square needs desperately. It would encourage people to linger at all times of the year and give the square more life.

I also think there needs to be more public art - Centenary Square used to be all about public art and bit by bit it's been removed or destroyed - removing the Persian Rug is another example of this...
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 05:00 PM   #23
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 5274

It's a cluster f>ck of unnecessary rubbish.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2016, 05:03 PM   #24
Pave.1
Gone

Likes (Received): 177

Don't get me started on the poles.....
Pave.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 05:09 PM   #25
brumborn

Likes (Received): 171

In fairness those renders/drawings are very poor. I imagine the real thing will only be an improvement.

Similar for me on the Birmingham University library. Thought the drawings looked awful but the actual building better than shown.
brumborn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 05:13 PM   #26
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2115

They should forget the poles and just build a tower slap bang in front of the library, block it out completely.

SimonTheSoundMan liked this post
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 09:38 PM   #27
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 556

Is it really millions of pounds better than what we currently have?
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 10:09 PM   #28
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 15001

Wow the dislike in this thread is unreal lol

But yes, it's disappointing, thanks for your efforts though Sefton
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:19 PM   #29
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 362

I like it. The outdoor ice rink thing is a good idea, I don't get the hysteria but then this is super negative SSC
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:42 PM   #30
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

It will probably be one of those makeovers that will look better once it is completed. Any way, in 20 years time it will be torn up and we will have another, new, Centenary Square design fausted upon us .... hopefully I will still be on this planet to see it!!
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:48 PM   #31
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

IMO it looks good. There was never water around the hall of memory on the winning proposal. Seems simple and elegant, and will create a space to sit in and relax rather than rush through
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:50 PM   #32
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum2003 View Post
IMO it looks good. There was never water around the hall of memory on the winning proposal. Seems simple and elegant, and will create a space to sit in and relax rather than rush through

Agree. Centenary Square is so big and lifeless, it needs something to fill it up a bit. A few trees and some fountains will look good, in my opinion.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:07 AM   #33
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8245

I think had we not seen the other options particularly Broadway's which seemed the popular one more people would be more welcoming to this one
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:11 AM   #34
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave.1 View Post
All we need are some grassy areas and trees to stop this square feeling so baron and empty. This redesign is utterly unnecessary.

As I've said before, the inclusion of a fountain is extremely questionable when the most prominent water feature in the city (Victoria Square) cannot be maintained. Besides, fountains of this nature only work in nice weather which a) is a rarity, meaning it will create a horrible spray if left on the rest of the year and b) nice weather = events which will mean the fountain needs to be turned off.

There is also a lack of street furniture from what I can see - another issue that would be solved by more grass.
Grass suffers from the same area in the winter rain though. Visit the Manchester forum and have a look at the Piccadilly Gardens thread with how they complain about the grass in a prominent pedestrian area, constantly being resurfaced, usually by the end of may there isn't any grass on some parts.

Grass isn't the utopia you think it is.

There is also a lot of street furniture, it just isn't your off the shelf bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwilko View Post
The public vote was won by the one with water around the Hall of Memory if I recall.
Corrected this for you. It was a design competition with some points awarded based on the outcome of a public vote. There was never any hint that the winner of the public vote would be the winning design.

People really need to read documents and not just look at the pictures. I use to be guilty of this so i don't blame you but i urge you to read not just look.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

Last edited by djay; June 2nd, 2016 at 12:21 AM.
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:24 AM   #35
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalVernacular View Post
I can't see a coffee pavilion anywhere on the plan which I think the square needs desperately. It would encourage people to linger at all times of the year and give the square more life.
I agree. The more people sat around enjoying a drink and the view of the square the better. A load of bars and restaurants around the perimeter would be nice. Make if feel like the market square in Krakow.

DBadger, LocalVernacular, miniwilko liked this post
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 01:16 AM   #36
JXH
Jake

Likes (Received): 100

Centenary Square is far too large, and whilst this design isn't great, I struggle to think of an 'obvious' way to fix the issues.

I do really dislike those coloured striped tiles though, the tiles are one of the worst features of the current square.

Perhaps the square could do with even more trees than the design calls for, will make it seem less empty and vast.

And a small kiosk or café could fill the space nicely, the Costa in Brindley Place works very well, It's a shame they couldn't have re-erected the metal shell that used to be in the Bullring here...

LocalVernacular, miniwilko liked this post
JXH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 01:26 AM   #37
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8245

Just so people know

The flooring will be

Red granite
Buff granite
Black granite
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 01:45 AM   #38
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2742

Not sure why you need another cafe when you include the one at the library that fronts the square and the terrace to the front of the Rep. I think 3 cafes is a bit over kill.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

LocalVernacular, jonfsnow liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:16 AM   #39
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1583

This really is not great, get rid of the stupid poles throughout and it will improve it massively. Less is more.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:37 AM   #40
Qoasis777
Social Housing

Likes (Received): 362

Sorry, I like the poles.
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement