Bloc Hotel | Hill Street | 22fl | 74m | U/C - Page 8 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2016, 12:29 AM   #141
Charity-Spring
Charity-Spring

Likes (Received): 1593

l for one like the design and its dimensions too (as long as the interpretation in the pic' can be trusted). Defo one to see in the flesh before making judgement l think. The '3 blades-per-storey' effect looks cool and is the antethesis of the current trend to play down floor heights by a '3 floors look like one' (see the 70m 1 Hardman square Manchester) effect perhaps in an attempt to merge successfully with the average 6 floor height of our victoriana.
Put another way, l wouldn't mind if it was on our city's projects list.
Charity-Spring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2016, 01:12 AM   #142
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquiescent View Post
What actually is it, this building? Does anyone know anything about it? Who owns it, what's it used for, why is it so hard to get rid of?
It's the telephone exchange.

It's staffed by about 800 middle aged ladies who work there connecting your call through something called a plug board. Basically everytime you make a call a physical connection needs to be made between the line you are phoning on and that you are sending to... every landline ane now mobile call in the region is routed though there. I understand a proportion of your Internet requests go through there to. When you cant get a call to connect it's because too many of the gals are on tea break to handle all the calls coming in at that moment.

Edit.its all a bit secret but I've found a photo of the inside for you showing all in action.

Crazy when you think about it that everytime you ring Babestation one of these ladies has to connect your call.. "oh you want to do what to her deary "

NB some of the above may be factually incorrect.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!

Last edited by Engels; June 16th, 2016 at 01:19 AM.
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 01:53 AM   #143
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 15158

Where is the real Engels and what have you done with him?
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #144
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
When you cant get a call to connect it's because too many of the gals are on tea break to handle all the calls coming in at that moment.
And when your call is dropped is that when one of the gals gets her bra strap caught in some of the cables on her way to a fag break and pulls a load of them out. "Oooh Vera, I say, you've gone and done it again, now where did they all go?"
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #145
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBrum View Post

Where is the real Engels and what have you done with him?
Sorry. Usual service of sporadic amd sometimes grumpy posts will resume shortly.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #146
DaciaDuster
Registered car

Likes (Received): 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
In a budget boutique hotel? Ok...
Yep, but it would rival Park Regis because of the price, not the aesthetics
DaciaDuster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #147
Sonnycrockett
Emotion 98.3 FM

Likes (Received): 140

Personally I'm All for this Bloc Hotel Development , Any New Investment into the City is more than welcome , I have to say though Gallan House is awful and It would really help to breathe a bit more Life into void's surrounding the Southside Entrance Area's Of New Street Station.
Perhaps providing a bit of Gateway link towards the Newly Proposed Smallbrook Queensway Re-Development and handy for Visitor's heading towards Chinatown and the Arcadian.

What would be Ideal is if we could finally see some action on the Old Crown Premises on Station Street , This Site has so much Potential yet it still remains another Drawing Board Project, I'm Pretty Sure it would do really well again as a Bar/Pub considering it's Prime Location opposite the Station entrance.

Finally Talking of Void's wouldn't it be great If the Two Large remaining Unit's within the Concourse area on the Southside Exit of the Station were also occupied ( TGI's or any other Leisure Operator ) this would really help to enhance the Visitor experience for people heading toward's the Hurst Street Area providing at least a bit of an Atmosphere or Buzz at Concourse Level and both unit's have decent size outside space suitable for these type of Venues.

RalphGuy liked this post
Sonnycrockett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 07:20 AM   #148
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
Concrete can be 'polished' though, Greenplaces .....

.... the Colmore Gate office building in central Birmingham is constructed from polished concrete. I think it looks great.
I thought it was clad in granite?

Sandblast liked this post
Biosonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #149
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
I thought it was clad in granite?
Yep .... I was wrong Bio. At least I think. I can see references to Cornish granite for this building, but I think it was for interior flooring. See if you can find a link to say what the exterior is clad in, as I seem to remember the term 'polished concrete' used for the exterior when it was constructed.

I found a reference to the Wesleyan Building, which is clad in "Artificial" Pink Granite. What is "artificial" granite made from, Bio?

Last edited by Sandblast; June 17th, 2016 at 08:31 PM.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #150
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1114

I rang Babestation once.

"What do you want me to do for you lover?" asked the beautiful, half-naked girl.

"Can you hide behind that chair please bab. The missus has just come in the back door and I can't find the remote".

markmcd1976, See Word Na liked this post
Astonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #151
leonigmig

Likes (Received): 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquiescent View Post
What actually is it, this building? Does anyone know anything about it? Who owns it, what's it used for, why is it so hard to get rid of?
It belongs to BT and it is called the Midland ATE. Its was a kind of mega-exchange, back in the days when BT was GPO. I worked with someone from BT who still works there.

- It is mostly empty nowadays, as telephone switching is digitised
- There is some network monitoring and other BT staff on some floors
- It has been identified as a location which may close at some point
- There is an underground tunnel from here to the BT tower in the JQ

The biggest sticking point is there is an enormous wiring loom underneath the building where all the phone lines from the City Centre terminate. It would be a major feat of technical engineering to move this, and without moving it the building cannot be demolished.

I've been inside, and its as dreary inside as it is outside.
Old June 19th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #152
bhammetroenthusiast

Likes (Received): 39

Sorry, I don't like the design of the building.

Bureau des etrangers liked this post
bhammetroenthusiast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #153
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1600

I think the colours are a bit, strange to be honest. I like the design, the height and the concept, but for me the colours and the logo on the top need some attention.
BhamBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 01:18 AM   #154
daumal

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammetroenthusiast View Post
Sorry, I don't like the design of the building.
Apology accepted.
As revealed to St John the Divine.

leonigmig liked this post
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 01:22 AM   #155
Bugbyte
Plant in full sun

Likes (Received): 525

I think it is classy. One small issue - how do you stop it becoming one great pigeon roost?

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Bugbyte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 10:23 AM   #156
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
I think it is classy. One small issue - how do you stop it becoming one great pigeon roost?
AAhhhh that old chesnut. I wondered how long it would be...

Spikes normally isn't it??
Old June 20th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #157
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
Yep .... I was wrong Bio. At least I think. I can see references to Cornish granite for this building, but I think it was for interior flooring. See if you can find a link to say what the exterior is clad in, as I seem to remember the term 'polished concrete' used for the exterior when it was constructed.

I found a reference to the Wesleyan Building, which is clad in "Artificial" Pink Granite. What is "artificial" granite made from, Bio?
Artificial stone (known as recon or reconstituted stone) is made from powdered stone usually left over after the carving up of real stone, so I guess it is the waste from pink granite quarrying. It surprises me though as the Wesleyan stone looks real too and has fissures and blemishes in it like the real thing.
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #158
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3694

From the post.

Plans for a 26-storey hotel next to the revamped New Street Station and Grand Central shopping centre are set to be approved next week.
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #159
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17845

Great news, i really like this. It will be a great addition to the city centre and more hotels for this area, with this and the new Easy Hotel just up the road.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 01:21 AM   #160
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2732

And who said the council don't approve skyscrapers... or as close to one as you might get in Bham.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

Brum X liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement