The Quadrant | Sand Pits | Residential | 6fl | U/C. - Page 8 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2019, 01:31 PM   #141
tonkster

Likes (Received): 52

Lol. Awful building.

Like the fact the edges of the centre are slowly filling out with density though.

Kingsheathen, RalphGuy liked this post
tonkster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2019, 01:58 AM   #142
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkster View Post
Lol. Awful building.

Like the fact the edges of the centre are slowly filling out with density though.

On a main road as well.
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 09:29 PM   #143
CityGent
In the aeroplane over B1

Likes (Received): 922

Update on this one. Not too keen on the metal balconies - reminiscent of street furniture.

Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2019, 09:42 PM   #144
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3708

Very early naughties design. Shame really.

Kingsheathen, ROYAL BLUE liked this post
Bureau des etrangers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 10:00 PM   #145
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 796

Was looking back at the concept sketches and frankly this development, whilst inoffensive, has been thoroughly disappointing, architecturally.

It's at a prominent junction and could have had a bit more modern ambition but comes across as a very outdated and lazy development, using cheap ideas to throw up a building.

The lines in the cream/magnolia render sections, the galvanised steel balconies (fake balconies are damned dangerous in my opinion,) the materials, etc. Could have been so much better.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!

RalphGuy, Kingsheathen liked this post
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2019, 01:58 AM   #146
citywatcher01

Likes (Received): 544

Most of the developments of the last 20year have the same aesthetic. From the Christian centre onwards. Just really cheap and bland.
citywatcher01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2019, 02:12 AM   #147
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2228

I pass this development every day, and progress as slowed considerably lately, hard to spot a workman on site at times, some of the ground floor units are nowhere near being fitted out.
A black plastic like fascia board/trim at ground floor level was fitted round most of the development only to be removed a month ago and not replaced.
Maybe I time my passes at "slow" times, but if you look at pictures from 3 months ago, not a lot of change noticeable?
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2019, 11:22 AM   #148
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 15071

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
I pass this development every day, and progress as slowed considerably lately, hard to spot a workman on site at times, some of the ground floor units are nowhere near being fitted out.
A black plastic like fascia board/trim at ground floor level was fitted round most of the development only to be removed a month ago and not replaced.
Maybe I time my passes at "slow" times, but if you look at pictures from 3 months ago, not a lot of change noticeable?
It does make you think, why don't they finish projects before starting others.. Im guessing many of the workers moved over to St Martins Place. I wonder how far Colmore Tang are with St Georges Urban Village, I feel like their projects have been quiet on the forum so not sure what's been completed recently to what's still on site. Really and truly all projects, including St Martins Place need to be finished before Connaught Square starts, think we need all the attention on that one project when the time comes.

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2019, 05:37 PM   #149
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
It does make you think, why don't they finish projects before starting others.. Im guessing many of the workers moved over to St Martins Place. I wonder how far Colmore Tang are with St Georges Urban Village, I feel like their projects have been quiet on the forum so not sure what's been completed recently to what's still on site. Really and truly all projects, including St Martins Place need to be finished before Connaught Square starts, think we need all the attention on that one project when the time comes.

I work for a main contractor. The vast majority of the actual work is done by sub-contractors. The main contractor just does the management so typically they’ll just have a Site Manager, a Foreman, an Engineer and a Quantity Surveyor on site. A main contractor should be able to manage and complete numerous sites at the same time without too much difficulty.

The main contractor will use different sub-contractors on each site. They will have their favourites, off course, and they will always get a quote for the work from their favourites, but they will choose a sub-contractor who’s good value and available to do the work.

A good main contractor won’t overload a sub-contractor with too much work. A good sub-contractor won’t take on too much work either.

Usually the Site Manager will manage the site from start to finish. He will be judged upon the success of this one site. Success is about profit margins mainly but also it’s about finishing the job on time and safely. So the Site Manager should be driving the job forward so it finishes on time. If the job doesn’t finish on time there could well be financial penalties.

Seven Capital sites often seem to drag on. I think this is because they use their own construction company called Colemore Tang. Seven Capital are unlikely to impose a financial penalty on Colmore Tang because they’d just be fining themselves.

RalphGuy, VerticallyChallenged liked this post
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2019, 12:10 PM   #150
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8325

I think the erdington and stirchley schemes may have slowed them down a bit and they haven’t even begun properly yet

Seems like since they took them on they’ve been quiet and slowed down

Hopefully behind the scenes they’re planning more big things to come...
sefton66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 09:43 PM   #151
metrogogo

Likes (Received): 20419

Back to The Quadrant for another look, first off looking down Nelson Street from Summer Hill Terrace.

The Quadrant | Sand Pits | Residential | 6fl | U/C.
by metrogogo, on Flickr

by metrogogo, on Flickr

by metrogogo, on Flickr

by metrogogo, on Flickr

by metrogogo, on Flickr

by metrogogo, on Flickr

by metrogogo, on Flickr
metrogogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2019, 11:57 PM   #152
sefton66

Quote:
Following June’s update, we are delighted to share with you the latest build progress for The Quadrant.

Kitchens are currently being installed within apartments along with the installation of the flooring. Plastering throughout the development is complete and the construction company are due to start the final finishes to the communal areas.

COMING UP NEXT
In the coming months, the team are due to start the snagging process. Fireproofing works will commence to all elevations along with the commissioning of the apartments.

Phased completions are anticipated to commence from Q1 2020. We are providing these dates as guidance only and are subject to change in line with the build program. We will keep you updated with any changes in future project updates and our Customer Care Team are on hand to answer any questions you may have and to ensure you are kept fully informed throughout the build period.

https://sevencapital.com/development...date-oct-2019/
sefton66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2019, 11:58 PM   #153
sefton66

Old November 4th, 2019, 01:28 PM   #154
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1838

despite being naff on the outside looks pretty high spec on the inside.

aqeembayor liked this post
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement