Old Birmingham Pictures - Page 9 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #161
peter_bain2003

Likes (Received): 0

And Hi biosonic& thanks
peter_bain2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #162
Mercian

Belated & probably boring I know but I'll miss the Post & Mail - if it was good enough for Pevsner it was good enough for me (... saying that, I think he liked the Biology block at the Uni and the MAC too!? ... hmm). A gem lost years ago was the Grammar School on New Street (by Pugin) replaced by the Odeon cinema.

Last edited by Mercian; April 12th, 2006 at 11:37 PM.
Mercian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #163
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Robinson
I'm suprised you're not using this moment to mention your horror at the Destruction of the Post and Mail Building.

Been there done that - ten times over....even got the T-shirt of course.... now of course it's gone, it's history..... we have to move on and find summat else to get pissed off about - like the New Street Station redevelopment of course!
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #164
peter_bain2003

What a shame an excellent site is marred by swearing, given the fact, women& kids probably read this...
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #165
Blunther
Kebab Licker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_bain2003
What a shame an excellent site is marred by swearing, given the fact, women& kids probably read this...
Women and kids also swear mate

Have a walk round your nearest playground, they'll probably teach you a few words

It won't hurt anyone.
Blunther no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #166
Mercian

I've noticed some people have been 'BANNED' (crikey!) - is that cos they were swearing?
Mercian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #167
Blunther
Kebab Licker

Nah swearing's permitted. People have been banned for being complete wan... erm... toss.. erm... gits
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #168
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 499

Smiley posted these on page 4

Auchinleck House 1968

Auchinleck House 2005
[IMG]http://************/a59v9x.jpg[/IMG]
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #169
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunther
Nah swearing's permitted. People have been banned for being complete wan... erm... toss.. erm... gits
I was banned for a week for daring to say that the Beetham Tower in Manchester was boring and looked like it had been designed by a 3 year old!

(I did rub it in about Arena Central, Pinnacle, etc, etc, perhaps that's what scuppered me?)
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #170
Blunther
Kebab Licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD
I was banned for a week for daring to say that the Beetham Tower in Manchester was boring and looked like it had been designed by a 3 year old!

(I did rub it in about Arena Central, Pinnacle, etc, etc, perhaps that's what scuppered me?)
I think that'll be 'cos there's been a lot of bad blood in the past between Birmingham and Manchester forumers (especially a certain infamous mancunian who has since departed these shores...), so the mods are quite quick to strike when any of that's raising its head again
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #171
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3897

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD

Is that 2 weeks now??

Personally I prefer the the design of Beecham Manchester to Arena Central, well, not so much the design, as they way they're BUILDING IT.
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #172
CargoHold
Ow'amya ?

Likes (Received): 4

Someone asked for a picture of The Woodman pub ?

CargoHold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #173
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

The headbar man at the Woodmans pub was called Fletcher, hence Fletchers walk.

Tribute? Or taking the p*ss?
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #174
peter_bain2003

swearing

Hi Blunther, I hear what you say about kids swearing, and there is nobody swears more than me when I am at work with my trucker mates(TRUCKER), but I respect people who don't like, it and this reason wouldn't dream of using bad language to express my self to make me look big, the worst part is reading the threads proves that people are passionate like myself about good old Brum.sorry if I sound like a goody goody, but am far from that, just respectful.....see you in church
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #175
Dazza

Has anyone got any pictures of the interior of the Woodman? I remember seeing one in a book once and looked magnificant with it's beautifully tiled walls.
Sadly, whilst Brum has preserved many fine pub exteriors the internal fitting have sadly long gone. The City Tavern being a good example. The Bartons Arms in Newtown is probably the best preserved pub in the City. A fine example of a Victorian gin palace.
Dazza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #176
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

I have somewhere, alas my scanner (yes, mine) is at work, and I'm busy relaxing at the mo!

I may try and take a photo of the page, or something. And yes, it was rather nice...

When they knocking down that building that they replaced it with? I look forward to passing water on the ashes.
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #177
CargoHold
Ow'amya ?

Likes (Received): 4

CargoHold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #178
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 152

wow what a beautiful pub. Imagine whiling the afternoon away in there? It makes you wanna weep doesn't it?!
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #179
Dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYCAKES
wow what a beautiful pub. Imagine whiling the afternoon away in there? It makes you wanna weep doesn't it?!
It sure does. Thanks CH for those although it only makes me sad to see what we
lost.
Dazza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #180
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 87

indeed - to be replaced with lifeless, sterile theme pubs with absolutely no character at all, with a built-in sell-by date of five minutes
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
old birmingham photos