MISC | Drinking and Flying - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Aircraft Photos and Video | Aircraft | Airlines | Flight Reports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #21
koresh

Likes (Received): 1943

Singapore Airlines

My collection of food served on Singapore Airlines

Snacks on Singapore Airlines with Menu card

Singapore Sling

Coca Cola, Seven UP in Vodka and Singapore Sling

Breakfast

Continental Breakfast

Chinese Breakfast

Hindu Veg Breakfast

South Indian Breakfast

Western Breakfast

Continental Breakfast : Egg Frittata

Breakfast

Lunch/ Dinner

Indian Lunch : Chooza Kesar Malai, Aloo matar chaat, Kulcha.

Indian Non-Veg( Madras Lamb)

Indian Non-Veg

Indian Veg

Thai Curry Chicken

Indian Veg : Gulab Jamun: This meal was very tasty....

Lunch :Roasted Chicken with garlic sauce

Dinner

Dinner
koresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #22
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 24392

Old August 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #23
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 782

Cathay Pacific foods and avianca looks good so far.

I never have hotdog sandwhich only on NWA NRT-MLA leg, usually full breakfast meal, they give you 2 or 3 choices to have. NWA flight from NRT or Kansai to anywhere in US mainland food wasn't bad but not as exciting either. Same with British Airways US-London flights. Nothing real spectacular.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #24
spongeg

Likes (Received): 2066

Quote:
Originally Posted by santobonao View Post
there a website that they show all these stuff..ohh men I wanted to book a flight on a first class seats.
this one?

http://www.airlinemeals.net/
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #25
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 4573

Most of them time i had delicous food on my flights. I also like the big amount oftime i have to eat, so i can enjoy the food much more.

The meal on my JAL flight from Frankfurt to Tokio.
[IMG]http://i37.************/1qltgm.jpg[/IMG]

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #26
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 740

I fly a lot but I never take photos of the food. I might start doing it.
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #27
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Pilot arrested at Heathrow on suspicion of being drunk
20 October 2008
Agence France Presse

A United Airlines pilot was arrested at London's Heathrow Airport on suspicion of being over the legal alcohol limit, police confirmed Monday.

The airline said the pilot, 44, was removed from service, adding that it would co-operate with police inquiries and was conducting its own investigation of the incident.

"At approximately 9:00 am (0800 GMT) on Sunday, officers attended an aircraft at Heathrow Terminal One and arrested a 44-year-old man," a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police said.

The spokeswoman, who declined to name the man in keeping with force policy, said he had been bailed to return to Heathrow police station on January 16.

"United's alcohol policy is among the strictest in the industry and we have no tolerance for abuse of violation of this well-established policy," United Airlines said in a statement.

"Safety is our No. 1 priority and the pilot has been removed from service while we are co-operating with authorities and conducting a full investigation."

According to The Sun newspaper, the man was a first officer and was due to fly to San Francisco before he was arrested.

The legal limit of alcohol for pilots is nine micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath, compared to the British drink-drive limit, which is 35 micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath.
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #28
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

Can we say FUI Flying Under Intoxication perhaps?
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #29
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 268

Will it kill people to refrain from drinking for a few hours! Jeeeez!
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:33 AM   #30
spongeg

Likes (Received): 2066

drinking on airplanes usually makes you drunker than if you do so on the ground
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #31
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6226

Gee people, can't you get it that this thread is about pilots and flight crews showing up drunk to work, not about passangers drinking during the flight
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #32
santobonao
Republica Dominicana

Likes (Received): 179

Well there being some cases that passangers being drunk and had problems with the crew of the airplane.

[email protected] santobonao
Facebook www.facebook.com/santobonao
Instagram @santobonao

Aviation for life
santobonao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #33
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Hasn't everyone been drunk on a flight before?
even I have
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #34
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
Will it kill people to refrain from drinking for a few hours! Jeeeez!
Some yes. Well it'll make them kill themselves more than anything.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #35
santobonao
Republica Dominicana

Likes (Received): 179

next time i go to my country I sure that im going to spent all the flight drinking.

[email protected] santobonao
Facebook www.facebook.com/santobonao
Instagram @santobonao

Aviation for life
santobonao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #36
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 14656

Too bad Porter Airlines doesn't fly where you're going; booze is free on their flights. They fly into Newark from Toronto Island Airport. Best service I've ever had. Free newspaper, pop, water, cookies, nuts, internet service, meals, cappucinos, lattes, etc. Their lounge in Toronto is really swanky too.

Canadian, Tyler Brule, owner and founder of Wallpaper Magazine, does image consultation for them.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #37
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Drunk pilot avoids jail as bosses plead case
22 March 2009
Sunday Mail

A PILOT who was three times over the alcohol limit in the cockpit of a Boeing 747 at Heathrow was spared jail yesterday after pleas from his bosses.

Jefferson Inman, 44, was given a suspended sentence, which means he could be able to resume flying after therapy.

The American father of two was acting first officer when he was arrested on the flight deck of a United Airlines flight preparing to take off for San Francisco. Police, called by worried ground staff, breathalysed him and he was led off Flight 955 in front of stunned passengers.

Blood results revealed that he had 60mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood.

The legal limit for pilots who are about to fly a commercial plane is 20mg - the UK drink-driving limit is 80mg.

The flight was delayed for nearly three hours as United Airlines searched for another pilot. At Isleworth Crown Court in London yesterday, Judge Sam Katkhuda told Inman his decision to drink before boarding the plane at 9am on October 19 last year had threatened the safety of all on board.

Imposing a six-month suspended sentence, he said: ``I'm surprised your captain did not notice you had consumed so much (alcohol) because when you passed through security checks it was noticed.

``One just cannot imagine how a person of your ability would get himself into this position. Certainly to be three times over the limit would have impaired your judgment. However successful you think you may be, alcohol has a negative effect on pilots.''

Inman's barrister, Neil Fitzgibbon, said he had been "more dehydrated than normal'' and had a shorter period between flights than he was used to. He had drunk only a modest amount and had not realised he was over the limit. Two managing directors from United Airlines told the judge about the "exemplary character and behaviour'' of the former US Air Force major.

He might be eligible to fly for the airline again in a year if he passed a range of medical and psychological tests. This would not have been the case if he had been jailed.

Captain Curtis Hughes told the court Inman was currently suspended but had undergone an "aggressive'' program of treatment.
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #38
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Arrest of United Airlines pilot is the latest in series of pilot drinking episodes
11 November 2009

DALLAS (AP) - The arrest of a United Airlines pilot this week for allegedly drinking too much before entering the cockpit is the latest in a series of incidents involving airline pilots and alcohol.

The United pilot, Erwin Vermont Washington, was about to take off from London's Heathrow Airport for Chicago with 124 passengers on board. Instead, he was removed from the aircraft, suspended by his airline and now faces up to two years in a U.K. prison if convicted on criminal charges. He is the third U.S. pilot arrested in 13 months on alcohol-related charges.

Monday's arrest raises more questions about what goes on in airplane cockpits. It follows the distracted flying incident in the U.S. last month, where Northwest Airlines pilots overshot Minneapolis by more than 100 miles because, they said, they were using their laptop computers.

In May an American Airlines pilot was arrested at Heathrow and charged with being under the influence of alcohol. Another United pilot was arrested on the same charge in October 2008. And a Southwest Airlines pilot was suspended in January after allegedly showing up for his flight in Ohio reeking of alcohol. He's back on duty.

In 2008, 13 pilots violated the Federal Aviation Administration's alcohol-related rules. Pilots can't fly if they have a blood-alcohol level of 0.04 percent or higher, half the legal driving limit in most states. They are prohibited from drinking any alcohol in the eight hours before reporting for work, a provision known in the profession as the "bottle-to-throttle" rule.

British law is even stricter with a 0.02 percent limit. That level can be reached with about one regular beer.

The number of incidents involving alcohol is tiny compared with the thousands of flights each day around the world. But when it happens it's usually up to passengers or crew members to spot a pilot who isn't fit to fly.

The FAA checks pilots' backgrounds for alcohol-related offenses such as drunk driving, But Barry Sweedler, a former National Transportation Safety Board official who worked on alcohol-related issues, said in a recent interview that the FAA does little enforcement. "They rely on other people to find the bad apples," he said.

U.S. regulators have approached the issue by encouraging pilots with a drinking problem to identify themselves and seek treatment. They are tested periodically and can regain their license, usually in about a year. Sweedler estimated that there are hundreds of airline pilots who are alcoholics and take part in a federally sanctioned treatment program that includes periodic monitoring.

"It's the guy who thinks he can get away with it that's scary," Sweedler said. "I'm sure there are pilots over the limit who are flying every day."

Critics have pressed for a zero blood-alcohol level standard.

In the latest incident, a United co-worker turned in Washington. Experts say that's rare. In other recent cases, passengers were the cops.

That's what happened in Ohio. Passengers told security screeners that Southwest Airlines pilot David P. Shook smelled of alcohol. Shook dashed into a bathroom, took off his uniform jacket and called in sick, according to airport police. The airline put the 11-year veteran on leave. The co-pilot, who accompanied Shook to the security checkpoint, said he didn't smell alcohol.

The president of the pilots' union at Southwest, Carl Kuwitzky, said then that nervous fliers often accuse pilots of drinking, especially after a highly publicized incident.

"Ninety-nine percent of (the accusations) are completely unfounded," he said.

Sweedler said he can't remember any U.S. airline crashes attributed to alcohol. A 1961 crash in Finland that killed all 25 people aboard was blamed on pilot error, with drinking and fatigue of the two pilots being a contributing factor, according to the Aviation Safety Network.

Since the 1970s, the FAA has backed an alcoholism-treatment program run by the Air Line Pilots Association and the airlines.

Dana Archibald, an American Eagle pilot and the union's national chairman for the program, says 90 percent of the pilots who volunteer complete the program successfully. He says 4,300 pilots have returned to active duty after becoming sober.

Archibald says pilots can become alcoholics just as easily as doctors, lawyers and congressmen. He says the program encourages pilots to deal with their alcoholism rather than "going underground."

"I went through the program myself," Archibald says. "It not only gave me my job back, but it saved my life."
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #39
minneapolis-uptown

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Too bad Porter Airlines doesn't fly where you're going; booze is free on their flights. They fly into Newark from Toronto Island Airport. Best service I've ever had. Free newspaper, pop, water, cookies, nuts, internet service, meals, cappucinos, lattes, etc. Their lounge in Toronto is really swanky too.

Canadian, Tyler Brule, owner and founder of Wallpaper Magazine, does image consultation for them.
cubana airlines also has free booze if you can order in spanish! but they only serve Cuba, and their airplanes are HORRIBLY uncomfortable, especially for someone 6'4" like me
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #40
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolis-uptown View Post
cubana airlines also has free booze if you can order in spanish! but they only serve Cuba, and their airplanes are HORRIBLY uncomfortable, especially for someone 6'4" like me
Well, as long as the pilots stay sober, then that's fine. Plenty of airlines serve alcohol in-flight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
food