Sydney's Monorail Turns 21 - Page 18 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #341
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 1537

How are the sections joined? Welds, or?
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #342
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Nine News (13/5/2013): No buyer for the monorail but drivers will face months of disruptions as the monorail is pulled down.
That is expected from the start.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #343
Inego

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
That is expected from the start.
The sooner it's started, the sooner the whole ugly mess is gone. And as for the disruption it's relatively minimal - cut, lift, secure, drive the truck away.....
Inego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #344
mubd
Maglev Bus to Matraville!

Likes (Received): 1127

Cut the supports while the structure is tied to a fleet of helicopters which are providing upward tension, dump it in the ocean.

fro liked this post
mubd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #345
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 104

I took my last ride on the monorail several weeks ago and to be honest it would cost a huge lot of money to upgrade the whole thing. It was fairly rundown and was certainly showing its age.

It would simply be a waste of money that could be better used elsewhere.

For my ride I hopped into the last car. While it was clean I noticed extensive structural rust around the rear windows inside the vehicle. There was water dripping in and numerous bad attempts to bog up the holes. The cabin also had a musty stink to it.

The other thing I noticed that the ride was no longer smooth. It was fairly rough with considerable bounce and wobble along the whole circuit.

To me it seemed that the whole fleet would have to be pulled out for a major overhaul and im certain many of the parts would no longer be available therefore requiring expensive custom made components.

Riding the loop twice only reinforced that the whole thing was never a serious component to Sydney's public transport needs. It was nothing more than a rundown and tired "mickey mouse" theme park ride that was long past its used-by date.

They made the right call and the best option is to pull it down and not waste a cent further on. Good riddance I say. Look forward to watching the demolition.

I cant believe they charged $5 for the trip. What a rip off.
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #346
hornetfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post
How are the sections joined? Welds, or?
cursorily they appear to be bolted. I assume there's an expansion membrane between sections too to allow for movement in the heat (the thing is only tied to infrequent supports so it's going to expand a lot in the heat)
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #347
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCity View Post
I took my last ride on the monorail several weeks ago and to be honest it would cost a huge lot of money to upgrade the whole thing. It was fairly rundown and was certainly showing its age.

It would simply be a waste of money that could be better used elsewhere.

For my ride I hopped into the last car. While it was clean I noticed extensive structural rust around the rear windows inside the vehicle. There was water dripping in and numerous bad attempts to bog up the holes. The cabin also had a musty stink to it.

The other thing I noticed that the ride was no longer smooth. It was fairly rough with considerable bounce and wobble along the whole circuit.

To me it seemed that the whole fleet would have to be pulled out for a major overhaul and im certain many of the parts would no longer be available therefore requiring expensive custom made components.

Riding the loop twice only reinforced that the whole thing was never a serious component to Sydney's public transport needs. It was nothing more than a rundown and tired "mickey mouse" theme park ride that was long past its used-by date.

They made the right call and the best option is to pull it down and not waste a cent further on. Good riddance I say. Look forward to watching the demolition.

I cant believe they charged $5 for the trip. What a rip off.
The thing I noticed most was the slowness of the monorail and even at street level you can see it.

The scratched windows do annoy me because they wreck the views.

I have to admit it has become quite neglected over the past few years. You see the 1988 footage at the start of the thread and you see how squeaky clean it looked. Even the employees were dressed up quite professionally.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #348
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 104

To be honest you dont really see anything from the monorail as it does its circuit even if it had clean windows. The only thing you sort of get to appreciate is the short view you get crossing Darling Harbour on top of the Pyrmont Bridge. Otherwise the rest of it passes over back streets of Ultimo, Haymarket, glimpses above narrow Pitt Street, etc. It offers nothing that a tourist to Sydney could possibly appreciate. The whole concept of the futuristic monorail was nothing more than a gimmick back in the day and most Sydneysiders dont care for it. Id say most would like to see it pulled down and no longer a visual blight along a good part of Pitt Street. There's nothing more that can be done for it other than plonk one car into the Powerhouse museum so its preserved as a historical piece for future generations to appreciate.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:30 PM   #349
Fabian

Quote:
Nine News (13/5/2013): No buyer for the monorail but drivers will face months of disruptions as the monorail is pulled down.
Thanks to abesty for the video.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old June 8th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #350
Fabian

Central Magazine (5/6/2013): Some Pyrmont locals have expressed their dismay that the monorail is coming down because it gives easy access to parts of the city.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #351
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 384

But thats the problem - is the convenience of a few dozen daily users in Pyrmont actually worth the money? Nope.

Good riddance, although I plan to take my final ride before the end of June.

SinCity is right, it offers nothing new, or vital to Sydney for tourists or locals alike. I'd even go as far to say its never been relevant. It's just there. And it costs money and its ugly.

I agree too that a single monorail train, sitting on a stretch of track, might be appropriate for the Powerhouse Museum - maybe they could even just keep a stretch of 100m of track near the Museum with one train sitting on it, stationary for eternity. PH would be appropriate too, as for many, visits to the PowerHouse Museum are often synonymous with taking the Monorail there.
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #352
mubd
Maglev Bus to Matraville!

Likes (Received): 1127

I got a reply with regards to the question of preservation of the Monorail -

Quote:
Thank you for your email regarding the possible preservation of some of the Monorail infrastructure. Transport for NSW is currently investigating options, although at this stage, none of the rail museums have expressed any interest.

Aussie Steve liked this post
mubd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #353
mobus

Likes (Received): 11901

Quote:
Central Magazine (5/6/2013): Some Pyrmont locals have expressed their dismay that the monorail is coming down because it gives easy access to parts of the city.
There are other types of transport that can provide this.
Old June 12th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #354
hornetfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubd View Post
I got a reply with regards to the question of preservation of the Monorail -
Watch this happen: they give a complete train to the Powerhouse Museum. It sits in storage at Castle Hill for the next 50 years.

Edit: also of course the "rail museums" don't want it. No more than they want a bus or the Mona Lisa...
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #355
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3592

How long did Sydney have the Monorail...When I first saw it I thought they got it from the Brisbane Expo 88 ?
Old June 13th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #356
Inego

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
How long did Sydney have the Monorail...When I first saw it I thought they got it from the Brisbane Expo 88 ?
The Sydney one opened in mid-88, so it and Expo were contemporaries. At least they had the good sense to get rid of the Brisbane one.....
Inego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #357
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 1277

Quote:
All of the useful monorail destinations, are already duplicated by the existing Light Rail.
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #358
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I thought the Brisbane Expo 88 ones ended up at Broadbeach and/or Seaworld ?????
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #359
Fabian

Seaworld ended up with it and yes it still operates.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #360
Derpy

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Seaworld ended up with it and yes it still operates.
Without air conditioning. So even our theme park ride cannot be used to go round in circles.
Derpy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
monorail, public transport, sydney