Morpeth, Ashington and Bedlington Area - Developments - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old December 16th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #1
nicksanderson

Likes (Received): 19

Morpeth, Ashington and Bedlington Area - Developments

I'm sure it's been mentioned before in relation to the Metro but I wish they'd re-open the goods line to Alcan to passengers - it's plumbed into the Metro network near Northumberland park and there's even a disused station in the centre of Ashington. You don't even need to electrify it - just buy a few diesel trains and have an interchange at Northumberland park.

Love the Metro - used to live in Newcastle and compared to Merseyrail that I have now it was fantastic

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 18th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
nicksanderson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #2
Salif

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksanderson View Post
I'm sure it's been mentioned before in relation to the Metro but I wish they'd re-open the goods line to Alcan to passengers - it's plumbed into the Metro network near Northumberland park and there's even a disused station in the centre of Ashington. You don't even need to electrify it - just buy a few diesel trains and have an interchange at Northumberland park.

Love the Metro - used to live in Newcastle and compared to Merseyrail that I have now it was fantastic
I wish they would aswell (although I would argue in favour of electrification given it's ECML diversionary potential), but alas the furthest it's got is the talking stage.

Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk........it's good to talk?

Yes if it leads somewhere.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:34 AM   #3
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 380

I don't know if anyone on here visits the historic market town of Morpeth, but I noticed that there has been a big town centre regeneration scheme to build a new shopping centre on the site of the old run down precinct and bus station.

Last time I visited earlier in the year the bus station was complete and was much better than the last one, and it looks like the shopping centre is opening soon. Stores opening include a large M&S, a New Look, Waterstones, Lakeland, Clerks and o2 shop.

Looks quite an impressive scheme for a town the size of Morpeth, and although it's very pastiche in style, perhaps that is more suited to a town like Morpeth than a more modern scheme.

Any thoughts?

http://www.sandersonarcade.co.uk/

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 18th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2070

Very interesting post, Irish.

Our Sub-Forum "title" declares the Newcastle Metro Area sub-forum, as also covering South Northumberland. Now, Morpeth may be 'stretching' the South Northumberland tag a little bit, but essentially what I had in mind when I suggested that part of the title, was the inclusion of JUST this sort of development. I was envisaging the likes of Hexham, Corbridge, Blyth, etc, but hey . . . why not MORPETH too . . .

So, this is our first "South Northumberland" thread, and I thought I'd post some of the photos of the project as well . . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 22nd, 2009 at 02:42 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM   #5

Definitely think there's no harm sticking in Northumberland places in here, they'll get read more than on the main board.

Looks like a fairly sympathetic shopping centre and a much more impressive mixed use development (with a better range of shops) than Tesco's efforts at Hebburn and Gateshead for example.

Morpeth is a really nice town, that has been blighted in recent years by serious flooding & is still getting back on it's feet. Definitely one of the nicer towns in Northumberland though!

Here's some more pictures of the development:

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 9th, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #6
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Recession no obstacle for Sanderson Arcade, Morpeth

from the journallive - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-25012862/

Quote:
A FLAGSHIP £32m retail development in a Northumberland market town has bucked the recession as it is now virtually full.

Morpeth’s Sanderson Arcade scheme – which includes a 27-unit, Edwardian-style shopping mall and piazza in the town centre – is 95% occupied after a recent flurry of new lettings.

Four more businesses have signed up to take units in the arcade, and trade alongside leading high street names such as Marks & Spencer, New Look and Waterstone’s. The 250-job project, which started in summer 2008 and will transform the town’s shopping facilities, has thrived despite the deepening economic gloom and has attracted healthy interest from retailers keen to be part of it.

Sanderson Arcade will officially open for business on November 12, with developers Morpeth 11 delighted with the recent spate of new lettings.

The firm took over the project four years ago when a previous developer, Trinity Developments, parted company with landowner Ethel Austin after drawing up a £60m shopping, leisure and housing scheme.

Partners in Morpeth 11 – Dransfield Properties and Ethel Austin Properties – have attracted a number of leading retail names to the development which has also provided Morpeth with a new bus station next to the retail arcade, and includes 22,700 sq ft of office space and car parks. The latest additions to the shopping centre are stationary firm Paperchase, Newcastle-based florist Lilly Rose, accessories and fashion store Lemon and local agents Sam Allan Estates.

Newcastle coffee house Central Bean announced last week that it will be opening a new outlet, replacing Starbucks, which has pulled out following a UK review of new branch openings.

Morpeth 11 managing director Mark Dransfield said: “It has been our strategy from the outset to work with quality local retailers to ensure we get the right mix. This last-minute rush of activity demonstrates the confidence retailers from the region have in Morpeth, and the trading opportunity for other quality regional traders are now limited to the two remaining units.’

“We have taken a comprehensive approach to the development to ensure it fits in well with the existing shops and businesses, and of course public transport and parking.”
Thats impressive of them to gain 95% occupancy
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #7
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 791

Yes, it's very good for them to achieve 95% so far, especially when you think the ES now have to search for many retailers after most of them seemed to just relocate.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:02 AM   #8
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Actress to open Sanderson Arcade in Morpeth
Nov 11 2009 By The Journal

A NEW £32m office development in a Northumberland market town is being opened by one of Britain’s best-loved TV personalities. Joanna Lumley OBE will be cutting the ribbon at Morpeth’s new Sanderson Arcade development at the official opening tomorrow.

She was recently awarded the Most Inspiring Public Figure Award in the Pride of Britain Awards for the way she has championed the cause of Gurkhas’ rights. Her father, Major James Rutherford Lumley, served with the Gurkhas.

The actress and presenter is best-known for her roles in The New Avengers, Sapphire and Steel and Absolutely Fabulous.

Mark Dransfield managing director of Dransfield Properties and Morpeth II, the company behind the development, said: "We are delighted Joanna Lumley is opening the new Arcade. "She’s already told us that she is really looking forward to seeing Sanderson Arcade and doing a bit of Christmas shopping while she’s here!

As well as 90,000 sq ft of new purpose-built retail space the development also houses high specification offices, a car park and bus interchange.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:47 AM   #9
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Joanna Lumley opens Morpeth shopping Arcade
Nov 13 2009 by Brian Daniel, Evening Chronicle

ABSOLUTELY Fabulous – that was the verdict of TV star Joanna Lumley as she opened a new North East shopping development. Joanna, who played shopaholic Patsy in the hit BBC series, cut the ribbon at Morpeth’s new £32m Sanderson Arcade yesterday.

Planning for the shopping mall began six years ago and work started in July 2008. The Edwardian-style arcade with landscaped piazza boasts 90,000sq ft of retail space. It hosts Marks & Spencer, Fat Face, New Look, Waterstones and Laura Ashley, as well as a number of local firms.

The development also has a new transport interchange and modern office space.

The opening ceremony was attended by hundreds of people, including a host of local dignitaries. Joanna, who has been awarded an OBE and championed the rights of Ghurka soldiers, thrilled the crowd with a “cheers sweeties” – her Ab Fab character’s catchphrase – and by describing the development as “absolutely fabulous”. She joked that Patsy would have used Jennifer Saunders’ character Edina’s credit card to “shop the place dry”.

Joanna, who has also starred in The New Avengers, said: “I think this was most stupendous achievement, particularly as it wasn’t ready until this morning! “It is my first visit to Morpeth and it will not be my last. I am utterly thrilled to be here, there is something extraordinary about the people, the way the river runs through it, and sometimes over it! “This is going to be a huge success. It is just fabulous. It sits so beautifully within the town.”

Mark Dransfield, managing director of scheme developer Dransfield Properties and Morpeth II, said: “I think the day has gone unbelievably well. “I cannot believe how many people Joanna attracted and how well respected she is. “We are very honoured that she came here to do the opening today. We are looking forward to many years here in Morpeth.”

Mayor of Morpeth Ken Brown said: “The development is fantastic, Morpeth has been waiting a long time to have the centre developed. Joanna Lumley is just fabulous – it has felt bigger than a royal visit. “Clearly the people of Morpeth are very excited about the development and the visit of Joanna Lumley, with the excellent civil rights work she has done and the work she has done with the Ghurkas. “She is an absolutely perfect choice for someone to open it.”

One special guest was 91-year-old Jenner Swinney, whose late father William Sanderson planned and built the original Sanderson’s Arcade, which was demolished to make way for the new scheme. Jenner, who lives near Livingston in Scotland, was at the opening of the old site, by the then Duke of Northumberland, with her dad on August 18, 1954.

She said: “There was an awful lot of spectators but nothing like today. This is incredible. I think it is a wonderful development. “My dad would have been thrilled that they have kept the name. It is a lovely touch.”
Old November 24th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #10

I might go up to Morpeth tomorrow and check it out (and take some pics on my phone).
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #11
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
I might go up to Morpeth tomorrow and check it out (and take some pics on my phone).
I was there today (25/11) and took a few photos. Looked for you Irish!!

It was my first visit since it re-opened, and I thought the entire development was EXCELLENT! Always liked Morpeth . . but it's even better now!

I didn't get much time there to take photos and it was pretty awful weather, so please excuse my lousy photography . . .

Old November 25th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #12
elliott

Likes (Received): 335

That looks really good, reminds me of a recent-ish development in Kendal.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

How do we regenerate tired high streets
Jan 20 2010 by Peter McCusker, The Journal

THE trend in 2009 was one of belt-tightening by retailers as ever-more financially burdened shoppers sought value while at the same time spending.
However bleak this sounds, there are opportunities arising for the region’s main retail pitches across our market towns and main cities.

Uppermost as an example is the recent opening of the Sanderson Arcade in Morpeth. This is the clearest demonstration of how a well-planned shopping centre can dovetail with an existing retail pitch. It has brought an excellent covered mall with new retailers such as Marks & Spencer to this county town.

It demonstrates how the fabric and general environment of a retail location must be constantly re-appraised to ensure it remains attractive.

Morpeth looks good, its broad streets are attractive – it has always been a pleasure to visit. Now it is better with much more parking, a bus station that links directly to the Sanderson Arcade and a sophisticated style that is appealing.

Another strong location is Cramlington but despite a large catchment in a home-owners’ paradise it lacks the style of Morpeth and is in so much need of redevelopment. That however is now some way off as a result of the recession.
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #14
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Is it me or does the lettering above the entrance of that Sanderson Arcade remind you of the lettering for Sanderson Young estate agents? Anyone know if there's a link? Whoever Sanderson is/was, they must surely have (had) some money...

AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #15
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Perhaps we could consider changing the title of this thread from "Morpeth Town Centre Regeneration" to "Morpeth area - Developments" (more in keeping with other threads we have) so that we can more easily include ALL Morpeth-area developments and issues from this part of our 'patch' (South East Northumberland)?

Plans to go on show for Morpeth Northern Bypass
Mar 17 2010 by David Black, The Journal

PEOPLE and businesses in Northumberland are being invited to have their say on a long-awaited, £35m road project before final plans are submitted for Government approval.

The Morpeth Northern Bypass will provide a direct transport link between the A1 trunk road and Ashington, and help tackle traffic congestion problems in and around Morpeth.

It will complete a £45m investment in connecting the A1 to communities in south east Northumberland – the first phase of which was the opening of the £9m Pegswood bypass in 2007.

A public exhibition of the northern bypass plans will be held next week to allow local residents, businesses and interested organisations to have their say on the details.

A new road link between the A1 north of Morpeth and Ashington has been an aspiration of the county council since the early 1990s.

Last year the scheme was accepted by the Department for Transport as a key regional project, and it would be funded from the region’s £457m roads allocation.

The exhibition of the plans will be held in Morpeth Town Hall on March 25 from 10am – 7pm, when the county council hopes to get feedback and comment from local people and businesses.

The next step will be for the council to submit a full planning application
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #16
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

New six lane running track to be built for Morpeth Harriers
Mar 17 2010 by David Black, The Journal

A PROUD North East athletics club hopes to find out within weeks if a marathon campaign to get its own running track is finally going to cross the finishing line.

Morpeth Harriers was founded in 1947 and has gone on to become the top track and field outfit in the region, despite suffering the permanent handicap of not having its own synthetic track on which to compete and train.

Now a formal planning application has been lodged to develop land at Morpeth’s King Edward VI High School as a permanent base for the Harriers, at a cost of about £800,000. Sport England has been asked to bridge a funding gap of about £300,000 for the project, and it is hoped that a decision will be made in the next few weeks.

Approval of the grant application would pave the way for the Harriers to finally get a floodlit six-lane track – with an eight-lane straight – field event facilities and equipment, to allow its athletes to both train and compete in the town.

Home league matches have to be held almost 20 miles away at Jarrow and the club was relegated from the national league some years ago, mainly because of its lack of facilities.

The King Edward VI School project – which would also provide pitches for junior footballers – follows the collapse last year of a £1m scheme to develop the town’s Craik Park football ground as a dual sports complex.

That scheme also involved creating a track for the Harriers, but foundered because of a number of problems.

The planning application to develop the school land has been submitted by the charitable trust, Blyth Valley Arts and Leisure, to the county council.

Yesterday Morpeth Harriers secretary Mike Bateman said: “The critical thing now is not so much the planning application but whether we are going to get a grant from Sport England. We have £300,000 funding in place from Castle Morpeth Council and there will be contributions from the Football Foundation, the school and ourselves. However, we are still looking at a shortfall of about £300,000 which we are hoping to get from Sport England.

“They are aware of the previous project at Craik Park and have given us encouraging noises. From our point of view we are looking for a facility that most of the time will be used for training, but also for competitions.

“At present Northumberland schools have to go to Gateshead for their county championships, so a suitable running track in Morpeth would also be good for all schools.”

Blyth Valley Arts and Leisure chief executive Bruce Ledger said: “The application is a step in the right direction and, if it comes to fruition, the Morpeth Harriers will get the new home they have been waiting many years for.”

In the past the Harriers have claimed that many promising young athletes have been deterred from joining them because of the lack of facilities on which to compete and train.

We are looking for a facility that will be used for training, but also for competitions
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:48 PM   #17
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Morpeth arcade offices now available
Mar 31 2010 by Peter McCusker, The Journal

NEW offices above a prestigious retail development are attracting strong interest.

Morpeth’s Sanderson Arcade – a £32m mixed use development – was officially opened by Joanna Lumley in November last year.

The 27 retail units have attracted high-quality tenants such as M&S, Fat Face, Waterstones and New Look, and now the offices in the new Austin House are proving popular.

The first floor offices have tenants that include Castle Chiropractic, Castle Morpeth Housing and Sam Allen Estates. And the latest phase of offices are now coming on stream, ranging from 300sqft to 11,291sqft.

Sanderson Arcade centre manager Debbie Anderson said: “It has been a busy time at the arcade and we are looking forward to welcoming more new businesses.”

David Nicholson, director at letting agent James Barr, said: “Sanderson Arcade is a fantastic location to start a new business or relocate and expand, Morpeth is a lovely market town and the mix of different uses at the arcade make it a great place to work.”
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:38 PM   #18
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Objections hit plans for £18m NHS centre in Morpeth
Mar 31 2010 by David Black, The Journal

The site of the new NHS Centre, as it is now on the outskirts of Morpeth.

PATIENTS and their doctors have voiced concerns over the location of a flagship £18m NHS centre aimed at improving health care for thousands of people in a Northumberland town.

The state-of-the-art, three-storey health centre is to be built on the outskirts of Morpeth to provide a modern, integrated facility for primary care, outpatient services and diagnostics.

But many letters of objection over the scheme have been sent to planners, claiming the site is too far away from the town centre, difficult to get to for elderly patients and has a potentially hazardous access for traffic.

Four family doctors who will work from the new centre say they share their patients’ “significant concerns” about its location and accessibility – although they concede there is no alternative site available.

Despite the concerns, the county council’s north area planning committee will tomorrow be recommended to approve an application by NHS North of Tyne to build the centre on the site of the former Mount old people’s homes, on the eastern edge of the town.

It will provide new surgeries for about 14,000 patients at the town’s Gas House Lane and Greystoke GP practices, and include an outpatients department, renal dialysis unit, community dentistry and a pharmacy. It will also house relocated services currently provided at the ageing Morpeth Cottage Hospital, which is to close.

Letters of objection have been signed by 26 people who say the location is difficult to get to, is not accessible by foot and has dangerous access from the main Morpeth to Ashington road.

Four GPs at the Gas House Lane surgery have written a letter saying some of their patients have significant concerns about aspects of the development.

It adds: “We share these concerns. Many have stated that the site is not central to the town and that this in itself reduces accessibility.

“We agree with that point but are told by the PCT that within the timescale that they have funding available for a new centre, this is the only site available.”

Doctors Colver, O’Neill, Pearson and Evans have called for action to be taken to address some of the concerns, including extra parking at the new centre and traffic controls at the access.

Yesterday Wansbeck MP Denis Murphy said: “I too have concerns about the location and this is not a perfect site. However, the reality is it is the only one that is available and big enough, and the centre will provide a five-star facility for people in Morpeth.”

Last night a spokeswoman for NHS North of Tyne said the Morpeth centre would bring care closer to people’s homes and save them having to travel to hospital for appointments.

She said: “We held a consultation which involved over 200 local people and the majority were supportive and told us they wanted a new centre as close to the town centre as possible.

“We tried to secure a town centre site but were unable to and we think that this site, which is within half a mile of the centre, provides a great solution.”
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #19
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Evening Chronicle, Tuesday 13th April 2010 . .
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #20
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Work on last phase of Morpeth's Sanderson Arcade development, about to commence
Apr 14 2010 by David Black, The Journal

Morpeth Comrades Club has moved to £32m development and loyal members raised a glass to toast an emotional farewell to their old social club - secure in the knowledge they would be moving into a brand new replacement just 48 hours later.

It was drinks on the house for everyone left in the bar when last orders were called for the final time at the 90-year-old Morpeth Comrades Club on Monday night.

But tonight members will be able to enjoy supping their first pints in a new, state-of-the-art club which has opened as part of the town’s £32m Sanderson Arcade shopping development.

The 1,000-member Comrades Club – which opened in 1920 to give local ex-servicemen somewhere to socialise after the Great War – has been relocated at a cost of £600,000 by developer Dransfield Properties.

It has been moved a short distance to first-floor premises above shops in the arcade, and boasts a bar and games area, a lounge, a function room, lift and rooftop garden where customers can enjoy a drink in fine weather.

The old club will be re-developed as retail and office space in the final phase of the Sanderson Arcade project, which has created an Edwardian-style shopping centre and opened by Absolutely Fabulous star Joanna Lumley in November.

Yesterday club chairman, Dennis Wheadon, said the move bucked the national trend and would give the committee an opportunity to attract more members. “We bought everyone a drink at last orders on Monday night to say farewell to the old club,” he said.

“We moved the furniture and took some photographs of us all, and that was a bit emotional for some members.

“However, we now have a new, state-of-the-art club which is absolutely beautiful and I must be the chairman with the newest club in the country.

“Originally, the developers wanted to move us elsewhere and we said no, but then they came up with an offer to put us above the Market Place in brand new premises which are the same size as the old club.

“Not many clubs get the chance to do something like this these days. All of our members will follow us to the new club and we hope now that more people will come in. The relocation is the talk of Morpeth and everyone is asking about it.

“They have built us a huge new trophy cabinet and we have moved all our certificates for long service, old photographs and members’ trophies across. We also have a snooker table now.

“We are the only CIU club left in Morpeth and this is a very exciting time for us. It is a great step forward to have these fantastic premises, and I want to thank everyone involved in delivering the new club for us.”

Dransfield Properties has spent £600,000 fitting out the new club, and the work has taken 12 weeks to complete. It was designed by Yorkshire-based AC Liani and fitted out by Tavern Developments. Work on the final phase of the arcade – including the former Comrades Club – is due to start later in the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ashington, development, developments, developments - newc forum, morpeth, newcastle, northumberland