The Big Space Exploration Thread - Page 244 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2019, 10:50 AM   #4861
goschio
mongrel

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by city of the future View Post
I feel like we are going back in time with this thread. Rocket launch after Rocket launch, 60-year-old technology that needs to be phased out.
Yes, slow progress. Too slow. By now we should have all kind of space colonies on moon and Mars. Current development should be around interstellar travel with anti matter drive and warp technology. Not Tintin type of moon rocket. Feels like Middle Ages were horse remains main transport for centuries and centuries.
ARD 5:33
„Die ARD ist der verlängerte Arm des Bürgers.“, „Fernsehen ohne Profitzensur“., „Wir nehmen jeden ernst – auch Deine Oma.“, „Demokratie statt Umsatz.“, „Andere wollen Geldgewinne. Wir wollen Kulturgewinn.“, „Kein Demokratiekapitalismus. Kein Rundfunkkapitalismus. Kein Informationskapitalismus.“, „Exzellenz statt Profitfixierung.“

LADEN liked this post
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2019, 03:16 PM   #4862
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 17886

NASA scientists opened an untouched rock and soil sample from the Moon returned to Earth on Apollo 17, marking the first time in more than 40 years a pristine sample of rock and regolith from the Apollo era has been opened. It sets the stage for scientists to practice techniques to study future samples collected on Artemis missions. (Photo/Agencies)

The sample, opened Nov. 5, in the Lunar Curation Laboratory at the agency’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, was collected on the Moon by Apollo 17 astronauts Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt, who drove a 4-centimeter-wide tube into the surface of the Moon to collect it and another sample scheduled to be opened in January. The sample was opened as part of NASA’s Apollo Next-Generation Sample Analysis (ANGSA) initiative, which is leveraging advanced technologies to study Apollo samples using new tools that were not available when the samples were originally returned to Earth.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

Chinese Around the World Daily Photos!!!| SSC

Today's United States Navy...| SSC

Old Pics New York City! | SSC

Yellow Fever, Orion602 liked this post
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 03:56 PM   #4863
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 8359

one of my favorite infographics channel on youtube just did a video on neutron stars

TatoBebop liked this post
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #4864
cis logos
Cis Indische (2011-2018)

Likes (Received): 1485

The location is really close to the equator, it will minimize the energy needed to launch a rocket and could have an economic (and greener) advantage for the future rocket launch compared to the other existing launch sites.

Indonesia to build the nation's first spaceport in Papua
Nov 12, 2019
Quote:
Indonesia plans to construct its first spaceport in Biak, Papua, to serve as the location of the country’s rocket test launches, the National Institute of Aeronautics and Space (LAPAN) has confirmed.

“We will build [the spaceport] just like LAPAN’s rocket launch site we have in South Garut [West Java]. However, it will be bigger so that it can be used for larger rocket test launches,” LAPAN flight and aerospace study center head Robertus Heru Trijahyanto said.

Biak was chosen as the place to build the new spaceport because the regency’s vast area was deemed ideal to support LAPAN’s plan to do a larger rocket test launch in 2024, he said.
LAPAN can already make satellites on its own. The next target is to launch a satellite with our own rockets that we made and a spaceport inside Indonesia,” Thomas said.
“We expect that the first stage of construction will finish before 2024 to facilitate rocket test launches that we will develop gradually,” Thomas said.

The spaceport, he said, would be constructed with the help of international partnerships.

A study was carried out to select the location of the would-be spaceport among three candidates, namely Biak, Morotai Island in North Maluku and Enggano Island in Bengkulu.

“Finally, in a 2018 coordination meeting with several ministries, LAPAN chose Biak as the location of the spaceport,” Thomas said.

LAPAN prepared 100 hectares of land in North Biak in the 1980s. Biak is considered ideal because it is close to the equator and its eastern coast faces the Pacific Ocean.

He said the rocket launch site in Garut was only for statistical tests and small rocket launches. (ami)

cis logos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #4865
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 17886

This SpaceX video grab image shows SpaceX's first operational Starlink during launch on a reused Falcon 9 on November 11, 2019 at Cape Canaveral, Florida. The private SpaceX company on Monday launched a second set of mini-satellites as it builds a huge constellation of the small orbiting devices aimed at greatly expanding internet access around the globe. A Falcon-9 rocket launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, placed 60 mini-satellites in orbit, joining 60 others launched in May. (Photo/Agencies)

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

Chinese Around the World Daily Photos!!!| SSC

Today's United States Navy...| SSC

Old Pics New York City! | SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #4866
Insulaner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Yes, slow progress. Too slow. By now we should have all kind of space colonies on moon and Mars. Current development should be around interstellar travel with anti matter drive and warp technology. Not Tintin type of moon rocket. Feels like Middle Ages were horse remains main transport for centuries and centuries.
I think space travelling is completely ridiculous and unnecessary. I like Star Trek and Star Wars (from the seventies and eighties ).

But in my opinion it is very decadent to spend so much money for those trips. Bezos and Musk should rather play with Lego toys. Or make a therapy.

As well as nobody wants to live in space. Even if we had wonderful circumstances on our planet without wars, burning forests and people dying of hunger space travelling would be very decadent and pathologic. Everybody knows that it's impossible to visit other planets with intelligent life on it.

We should accept that the mankind is the only intelligent species in the whole universe.

In my opinion the belief in extraterrestrial intelligent life is just a sort of modern religion.

We should rather think about the question why our universe is "constructed" so completely absurd and irrational in its dimensions. I think the universe is a big statement: You are nothing as a material entity. But there is a certain evidence that there could be an immaterial dimension of life.

And even this huge amount of materia in space is in a certain way just an illusion if you a have a look at microcosm.

This universe (in its genesis) is so absurd and our life too that I can nothing else than understand it as a big deception or theatre.

The simple fact that we will probably never be able to visit even the next star proxima centauri which is about four light years away should make us wiser and concentrate on our problems on earth.

Perhaps anybody here can tell us the relations between the way to Mars and the way to proxima centauri. I think space travelling is a kind of modern megalomania or hybris.

Who cares about life on Mars when so many lives on earth are so precarious and miserable?
Insulaner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #4867
Insulaner

Likes (Received): 0

By the way, I‘ve searched for the distances between Earth-Mars and Earth-Alpha Centauri.

When I looked right the distance to Mars is about 370 millions of kilometres.
The distance from Earth to Alpha centauri is about 40 trillions of kilometres.

So the distance to the next star is about 100.000 times as much as from Earth to Mars.

What a funny perspective.

Think about the challenge of going to Mars. With human beings. Nobody knows if we manage to go to Mars. I think it will be very difficult and it won‘t have the enchantment of the Apollo missions.

We should accept that it‘s impossible to leave our sun system with human beings.

And we should ask ourselves why we seem to need such enterprises.
Insulaner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
space thread