Miami Sports - Page 365 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Miami

Miami Includes Broward and Palm Beach Counties
» Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2019, 09:24 AM   #7281
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Likes (Received): 9239

spellbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2019, 12:15 PM   #7282
FTL Beach Bum

Likes (Received): 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
So Miami basically controls the next two drafts even if part of that process means they’re destined to be absolutely atrocious this season (at least). If they hit on that draft bonanza, it’ll be a quick ride back up the ladder.
I've been hearing that for 20 years.
FTL Beach Bum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 12:42 AM   #7283
marcvader
not a half-stepper

Likes (Received): 5396

Really? Cause they almost always hover in the middle picks and always seem to be missing picks so I don’t know when they’ve ever had 5 picks in the first two rounds one year and 4 in the first two the following year along with having full complement of picks plus another 1 or 2 extra picks for good measure. Aaaand having a truck load of money to maneuver in free agency. This is completely new.

Either spend the money to do it right or don't do it at all. These half measures are a joke and setting up for failure down the line.

spellbound liked this post
marcvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 07:36 PM   #7284
CalleOchoGringo

Likes (Received): 3184

I think what he means is, that he's been hearing things more like "This is our breakout year" and "We have the talent to get to the super bowl this year". And that probably isn't untrue. The problem is, that's just crap fans, who know nothing, talking... every team has those... you gotta filter out that noise.

The true (from most experts) is this:

This will be a long painful rebuild. The Dolphins are far from complete and it will take multiple years to rebuild talent-wise enough just to get back to the 8-8 team we were.
Consider our first rounders ONLY in the last 5 years of drafts (2015-2019)... We got exactly 2 very good players out of them (Tunsil and Fitzpatrick). The rest were either whiffs or might be great but not yet proven (Charles Harris, Devante Parker and Wilkinson).

Point is this... the best drafting teams still only hit on about 50% of their people. And teams like the Browns hit around 30%. Our coaching staff aren't dummys, they know this. They are amasing picks BECAUSE they know that many of them will be whiffs. It's a necessary price to pay for finding the gems. But dolphin fans, please don't go thinking that trading a Fitzpatrick for a first rounder means getting another Fitzpatrick, it doesn't. When averaged out over time... it means getting a guy half as good as Fitz (since half the time it will work out and half the time not).

Having said that I do support trading Fitz as painful as it was, keeping an unmotivated poisonous player in the locker room tends to do more damage than their talent makes up for (just ask the Steelers, Raiders and Pats regarding AB). The Dolphins were almost forced into a trade of some kind for Fitz, and frankly I'm surprised we got as good as we did for it. Look how bad the Seahawks screwed Houston out of Clowny for a cheap price.

spellbound liked this post
CalleOchoGringo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 07:59 PM   #7285
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Agreed with you guys and also fully understand FTL's frustration.

As Marc said, though, this really is a pretty unique situation right now. During those 15-plus years of seeing the team nearly always hovering in mediocrity (with a few good and a few truly misrable teams mixed in) Miami never, ever was in true rebuild mode. Never stripped the roster down even remotely the way they did this year. Never cut so much salary to clear so much space. Never intentionally went this young and untested. And certainly never had the kind of draft ammunition they have acquired for the next two years.

Instead, what they were doing was spending TO the cap limit more often than not. Putting bandaids and "quick fixes" (that often flopped) on a team that was still always too flawed to be a genuine contender. And most of all never having a quarterback who truly made a difference.

Honestly, I was happy in the offseason when they made it ABUNDANTLY clear they weren't going to continue that pattern of chasing continued mediocrity and basically blow the whole thing up. And I've yet to hear anyone come up with a valid reason why they should have stayed on that path. To what end? It was NOT going to get dramatically better and they just would have had to make the same painful decisions later on rather than right now.

But, yeah, right now there ISN'T anything that can be done to make this team anything other than atrocious the rest of this season. They simply do not even have remotely enough talent or experience to compete. It isn't just the worst Dolphins team in history, they're statistically (right now) one of the worst teams in NFL history. But again, I fully expected it. I'm not sure why some folks are surprised at all.

They DO have the ammunition to get out from this, but it won't be instantaneous and they certainly better not start chasing overpriced, aging veterans (which they have the money to do) in a panicky effort to quicken the process...which would only quicken the process back to mediocrity.

Like I said in a prior post, beer is your friend this season.
Old October 6th, 2019, 08:24 AM   #7286
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Man, what the hell is up with the Canes? Ugh.
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:51 PM   #7287
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Next Monday in Pittsburgh is likely to be my favorite game of the year. Dolphins lose, they win. Dolphins win, they win. Go draft picks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement