Top 10 skyscraper cities fully updated - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers
» Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2020, 09:24 PM   #41
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 15004

Emporis' definition of skyscraper is different than CTBUH (150m+ buildings) and SSC (200m+ buildings). It can get confusing especially when the general public use skyscraper to mean anything they deem tall. When I clicked on the Emporis link you provided, that figure for Toronto turned out to be an inventory of everything 100m+ on file. It included existing, under construction, planned, unbuilt, and demolished. The correct numbers for 100m+ buildings are as follows:

City of Toronto: 268 Built, 101 Under Construction, 240 Proposed
City of Mississauga: 30 Built, 7 Under Construction, 31 Proposed
City of Vaughan: 4 Built, 8 Under Construction, 18 Proposed
Toronto CMA: 302 Built, 116 Under Construction, 289 Proposed

And then there's Hamilton. It's not part of Toronto CMA (Census Metropolitan Area) but it's physically connected to it; there's no break whatsoever when you travel west into Hamilton from Toronto. As one can see, the skyline could double in size before the decade is out. 1000 buildings 100m+ in the whole urban area isn't out of the question either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Shanghai and Suzhou are now counted as one city as they physically conjoined in 2015:
Thanks for the information. So they're physically joined but politically joined as well? In other words there's just one municipal government for Shanghai and Suzhou? When you see data for the City of Shanghai does it now includes Suzhou as well or is it still listed separately?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

citysquared liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; January 17th, 2020 at 10:10 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2020, 11:50 PM   #42
citysquared

Likes (Received): 198

isaidso, thanks for the refresher course on skyscraper terminology/standards. Indeed after doing a aerial inventory on Google Earth I counted approx. 67 (City) 70 (CMA) buildings that I know are approx. 40-50 stories minimum or 150 metres and are built or topped out. The Toronto Star World Almanac (used to get one every year) also has a very good inventory of tall buildings in key cities, which includes heights and floors.

It's kind of a shame that Commerce Court North based on a 150 metre minimum height doesn't qualify as a skyscraper, its form epitomizes what a skyscraper is in so many ways. Maybe we could allow +- 5 metres

Truth and Love Must Prevail, Václav Havel

isaidso liked this post
citysquared no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 03:06 AM   #43
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 3816

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
So they're physically joined but politically joined as well? In other words there's just one municipal government for Shanghai and Suzhou? When you see data for the City of Shanghai does it now includes Suzhou as well or is it still listed separately?
I don't think so. Suzhou has and probably will be its own city for the foreseeable future; it has so much history that making it a part of Shanghai would detract from its historical significance as a separate city.

If Suzhou does become part of Shanghai, I'd be more surprised than I was when Astana was renamed Nur-Sultan. The two cities have very separate skylines, so I'd prefer they remain separate.

Shanghai:

N01d02_P1078339_stitch-c by pdare pics, on Flickr

Suzhou:

Suzhou Sunset by Grzegorz Rogala, on Flickr

little universe, isaidso liked this post
A Chicagoan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 02:09 PM   #44
Skyscraper nerd

Likes (Received): 54

Short summary.

The update is completed for top 50 I will concentrate only on top 10 cities from here on out but additions on top 50 will be made for any new updates such as new constructions being finished or topped out as this is initially a stats collection data thread.

As for the top 5 cities Hong Kong have pulled out of the skyscraper business and is currently top but will drop to 3rd place as soon as 2023-2024 still above New York City it's just a formality Hong Kong setting top currently but the really skyscraper chase is between Shenzhen and Dubai not only in skyscrappers which is small portion of what is being build in these two cities but new districts all together and according to my observation safe to say that Dubai and Shenzhen are the only futuristic cities in the world currently and it has something to do with having a huge advantage the other cities didn't and don't have example you have modern cities like Shanghai, Hong kong, New York, Tokyo etc etc but the only problem is that they are old cities who have filled out already and in order to build futuristic and brand new infrastructure they would have to tear down large sections of the city and that will give a huge political issues with locals and tenants which could result in riots and this is the main reason these 2 young cities are unrivaled as far as brand new infrastructure goes if you look at both cities it's not only skyscrapers but everything is NEW in the overall infrastructure from district to district except a small part of the old city which they both kept that for tourist purposes both cities started out from scratch 30-40 years ago and to give you an EXAMPLE this is the same reason Cairo is building another city beside Cairo because that city filled out and has no room to grow just putting some skyscrapers here and there won't solve it and the same thing happened before that with Giza which use to be the old capital and at one point the people there decided that they would have to move out of Giza to build another city outside of it and now this is the 3rd time egypt's captial is moving outside of it's older one.

These are the two main cities to look out for Shenzhen and Dubai as they race to the future and As far as within China goes Shenzhen is ahead of Shanghai atleast 5-10 years as far as infrastructure go but people just didn't realize it yet because all the infrastructure in Shenzhen is going at high speed and they didn't had really time to make an assessment and Shanghai itself is a modern city and in overall There are 2 futuristic cities in the world currently and around 10-15 modern standard cities like Chicago, Seoul, Toronto, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, New York, Doha, Tokyo, Incheon, Hong Kong, Singapore and few others.

Other cities to look out for are Songdo which is a district in Incheon has been modernizing and very futuristic district in the last 5 years.

For skyscraper cities Toronto is set to enter top 10 by 2023-2024 they have alot of construction going on and many more proposed upcoming projects so definitely one of the cities to look out for and there skyline will increase quickly with many skyscrapers.

As for skyscraper go Shenzhen has 26 topped out and Dubai 30 so technically Shenzhen has 261 and Dubai 253 if you add the remaining in construction they will cross 300 each by 2022 and add all the proposed new districts to be build than they will approx. be around 450-470 in 2025-2028 that is in total 200 to 250 increase in skyscrapers in 5-8 years which is perfectly in line with their phase for the last 10 years speed.

New York city is building good amount right now but dosen't have plans for new districts of skylines like Shenzhen and Dubai do currently.

Other cities to look out for in China are Guangzhou, Wuhan and Shanyang these cities are coming up both in GDP and modernization.

Cities to look out for outside of China are Kuala Lumpur and Iskandar Malaysia (Located in southern malaysia bordering singapore mega 100$B project) Kuala Lumpur is building numerous skyscraper currently and have more proposed so definitely a city to watch out for and as far futuristic developement goes Iskandar is a city to watch out for.

Another interesting city that is building alot is Melbourne and the skyline is being filled out. They have numerous projects coming up.

Cities that have exited the skyscraper business or just slowed down are the following cities Singapore, Hong Kong and Abu Dhabi, Panama City, San Francisco and Macau
Old January 18th, 2020, 06:21 PM   #45
citysquared

Likes (Received): 198

so in a nutshell you are saying that cities that are built from scratch like Dubai or that have developed separate districts like La Defense or Canary Wharf supported by large scale infrastructure will have an advantage (as long as their economies keep booming) in skyscraper race, because infilling in older established cities is hard - lots of political resistance. I think you're right. But you know there are lots of established cities like Chicago or Houston that still have lots of empty lots near main CBD. so they may be able to catch up in long run.

Truth and Love Must Prevail, Václav Havel

A Chicagoan liked this post
citysquared no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 03:31 AM   #46
Sadam95

Likes (Received): 353

London seems so outdated. London has 32 skyscrapers over 150m.

Last edited by Sadam95; January 19th, 2020 at 03:40 AM.
Sadam95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 07:25 AM   #47
saiho

Likes (Received): 4509

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
That's not possible (at least for me)

I have already submitted 5 or 6 missing buildings in Berlin and elsewhere in Germany. Always without success.
I submit a bunch of Chinese buildings and they all eventually go through. Granted they are +150m with some +200m. CTBUH probably prioritizes those as they do generally claim +150m data is "complete". A lie as all major Chinese cities on their list is undercounting somewhat with Shenzhen, Chongqing, Guangzhou and Wuhan being the biggest offenders. Plus I guess they want to keep good tabs on the volume of buildings China is producing, being the skyscaper machine the country is.

little universe liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 08:24 AM   #48
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1489

Just dropping by to say thank you for the tiring effort you have put in making the list, not just Top10, but also Top50..pheww. Thank you again Skyscraper_nerd

In the near future, I wish Malaysia will have at least two representatives (bet on KL and Iskandar Malaysia/Johor Bahru) like the USA and China do
Old January 19th, 2020, 09:09 AM   #49
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1489

For Kuala Lumpur, just counting projects within its 243 sqkm city proper area (smallest one in the list) don't really justifies the scale of development happening in the city as a whole. Should include other projects in Greater KL too like Petaling Jaya, Subang Jaya, Shah Alam, Kelana Jaya, Putrajaya and Cyberjaya etc (these are the Mississauga or New Jersey of Kuala Lumpur).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by World 2 World View Post

BY NIK
Quote:

Credit @kualalumpurcity • https://www.instagram.com/p/B5pkGkyJ5OM/

Quote:

little universe, citysquared liked this post
QalzimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 12:19 AM   #50
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 8668

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Thanks for the information. So they're physically joined but politically joined as well? In other words there's just one municipal government for Shanghai and Suzhou? When you see data for the City of Shanghai does it now includes Suzhou as well or is it still listed separately?
I imagine theyre seperate still politically and will likely stay that way. But bear in mind several cities have the same set up, such as Tokyo-Yokohama, Manila (and its dozens of city centres), and even London, where the City of London financial district has historically been seperate with its own police force, mayor and even laws. Likewise Paris would miss out on La Defense because its 3km from the Paris border as is considered in Haute-de-Seine.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2020, 08:07 AM   #51
TheDivan

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
Writing this post I went onto an one hour long little internet research trip looking at wacky borders. I knew it was bad, but this is just so ridiculous when you just look at satellite images and compare borders. So here it goes:

I totally agree for one well-known city, Manila.

The best example, why we should always count metro area is Manila. The city proper of Manila ends in the middle of an urban area. Only 2 buildings over 200m are in Manila city proper, but really, if you can hop in a bus for a few minutes and reach another city without having any visual indication of exiting a city, it should count towards it. Center of Manila City proper and Quezon City City proper (the furthest skyscraper areas!) are around 13km apart. That's similar to the 11km distance of Futian and Houhai (and those aren't even the furthest skylines in Shenzhen) and less than the around 18km distance of Downtown Dubai and Dubai Marina skyline (which has a lot of nonurban parts on that stretch). And with that Metro Manila has like 35 buildings over 200m under it's belt (completed and topped out), which is much more appropriate of what feels like a city instead of what authorities call a city. So entering Makati, Mandaluyong, Manila, Quezon City, Pasig, Taguig City separately into the list seems just ridiculous to me. Look at that map:

This shows Makati, Taguig City, Mandaluyong and Pasig skylines all in walking distance of each other (all have 200m+ skyscrapers). Note how Makati, excludes the highrise area of Taguig City, just to loop around and include the suburban area behind it, which is further away than both Taguig's Main skyline and the Mandaluyong Skyline just across the river. Also that park in the middle of Makati is part of Manila City Proper, because of course it is. Metro Manila is king of wacky borders and in the first few years of following skyscrapers, Manila always escaped my radar, because it just always shows up as different cities, because technically that is true.

On this picture you can see The Podium (blue skyscraper under construction), which is in Mandaluyong. Across to the street to the forground/right direction all the other buildings are in Pasig. And I think to the left you can actually see highrises located in San Juan City and Quezon City a bit in the distance. This Mandaluyong, Pasig divide goes directly thru the skyline

I would go further and count Jersey City to New York City, Mississauga to Toronto. And maybe Kawasaki, Yokohama to Tokyo and Foshan to Guangzhou. But Metro Manila is probably the most ludicrous and obvious case.
You're spot on! Considering that Makati alone makes it to Top 20-30, add up Taguig, Ortigas, and other business districts it would shoot up near top 10 if not already in Top 10. In fact, there is the largest skylines ranking on this forum that has not been updated since 2015 which had been piled covered up by lots of other created threads that it maybe is on Page 3 or so now and Metro Manila was already at 11th place. Maybe the OP can get a hint of its methodology.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Last edited by TheDivan; January 23rd, 2020 at 08:13 AM.
TheDivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2020, 02:38 AM   #52
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 15004

Do you have the 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 versions of that table?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 12:43 AM   #53
Skyscraper nerd

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivan View Post
You're spot on! Considering that Makati alone makes it to Top 20-30, add up Taguig, Ortigas, and other business districts it would shoot up near top 10 if not already in Top 10. In fact, there is the largest skylines ranking on this forum that has not been updated since 2015 which had been piled covered up by lots of other created threads that it maybe is on Page 3 or so now and Metro Manila was already at 11th place. Maybe the OP can get a hint of its methodology.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

I will make one for metro Manila I would say top 15-20 could be a target perhaps even bit lower but I will make one for Metro manila with all the cities in metro manila counted for.
----

I will expand the top 10 for two more categories? 1. top 10 cities who have build most skyscrapers in the last decade and 2. All the topped out skyscrappers list

I will include these two lists in the coming days

Last edited by Skyscraper nerd; January 27th, 2020 at 02:06 AM.
Skyscraper nerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 08:44 PM   #54
todosconlaroja

Likes (Received): 24

Sorry I'm late
Panama City
Under Construction
1.La Maison 64fl 235m
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...1&page=4&amp=1
2.Costanera (first of the two) 54fl 203m
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...=2112111&amp=1
3.Ocean Front 52fl ~180m
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...=2210392&amp=1
4.Sea Point 48fl 160m
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...7&page=2&amp=1
5.The towers 51fl 48fl ~200m ~185m with spires
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...=2113271&amp=1
6.Luxor 400 47fl 155m
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...62472636&amp=1
7.Pacific Point 400 52fl ~180m
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...?p=162650476#/
8.The Colonial 49fl 150.3m
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...=2114187&amp=1
9.Sunset One 54flx5 ~175m
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...=2112105&amp=1
10.Empire Residences 54fl 175m
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...=1902576&amp=1
11.Solana 49fl ~180m
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...=1945922&amp=1
12.Pacific Center 36fl 162m
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...=1762960&amp=1
13.Arcadia 46fl ~150m
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sky...62378432&amp=1

As you might see, there's not a lot of information available about the heights of many buildings, I decided to include only the ones that either had confirmed height, or almost surely are at least 150m tall, many other possible skyscrapers got left out.

Also, some buildings that were finished recently and had a confirmed height superior to 150m were not included, but might need to be added to the completed list.

Skyscraper nerd liked this post
todosconlaroja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:59 AM   #55
weirdo
helter skelter

Likes (Received): 945

Thanks for considering lumping the cities of Metro Manila. Imho, Metro Manila cities are most similar in function to the special wards (or 'cities') of Tokyo Metropolis. One can move from Shibuya to Shinjuku, onto Chiyoda, Chuo, Minato etc without ever feeling like leaving "Tokyo" just as one moves from Makati to Taguig, to Mandaluyong, Pasig, Quezon City etc., while still being in "Manila".

The only difference is Tokyo as a city doesn't officially exist anymore, and the place name now refers to the core 23 special wards and surrounding Metropolitan-type prefecture, while City of Manila still refers to the old colonial walled city and surrounding districts/neighborhoods. If Tokyo is considered as one, then thinking of Metro Manila as one makes sense as well.
Advertisement