SOYO, Quarry Hill | phase 1-Block E & F | 17 & 17 fl | U/C | (phase 2-Block A | Prop) - Page 60 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area > Leeds Construction Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2019, 09:08 PM   #1181
tigerman

Likes (Received): 7928

Big site cabin block and big piling machine.

PC233319so by tigerman687, on Flickr

PC233320so by tigerman687, on Flickr

PC233325so by tigerman687, on Flickr

PC233332so by tigerman687, on Flickr

PC233327so by tigerman687, on Flickr
tigerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2019, 03:35 PM   #1182
Loiner's Girders
Back home

Likes (Received): 1686

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerman View Post
Big site cabin block and big piling machine.
Seems incongruous seeing those words on site cabins.
Loiner's Girders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 02:13 PM   #1183
LS6

Likes (Received): 2068

Some official confirmation that piling has started.

Moda Twitter

Quote:
Construction has commenced by our Caddick family. Piling has officially landed on site at Moda, New York Square. Two 16 storey blocks, 515 homes, a public courtyard, roof terraces... a fantastic project for the City of #Leeds, close to our heart.
Old January 11th, 2020, 02:19 AM   #1184
Skychaser 2005

Likes (Received): 1402

so at least 2 more cranes up in what....3 or 4 months???
Skychaser 2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2020, 02:35 AM   #1185
FesLerdinand

Likes (Received): 23

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time caller.

I have to say, I don't think this proposal deserves the kicking it's getting in this thread. I personally think it would be good to see some large-ish modern buildings on this site because it will extend the city centre beyond the end of the Headrow. At the moment, looking down the Headrow towards Quarry Hill it feels like the end of the city is visible even if you're actually a good half a mile away. There are some nice little bars and restaurants down around the bus station and this development could help turn it into a mini-district. Above all else I feel like Leeds suffers from feeling like a "town centre" rather than a city centre, and the key to changing that is to have places to go that offer a change of scenery from the same few shopping streets and nightlife congregations.

Also, it's amusing to see everyone slate Caddick on here. I've worked with them on a construction project as part of my job, and actually they're a perfectly decent developer to work with on the nuts and bolts of delivering a live project. Granted that doesn't alleviate the frustration when they sit on developments for years and years without moving forward.
Old January 12th, 2020, 12:19 PM   #1186
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 1614

Some good points made Fes, which I generally quite agree with. Extending the city and making another new established area has to be good as the centre does need expanding a bit.

mike okane, roundhayparker liked this post
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2020, 09:14 PM   #1187
mike okane

Likes (Received): 7114

yeah, good to see this happening. I think this could be a very impressive European - looking , continuous boulevard - style street vista, esp. when looking from the front of Quarry House through/between the New York Square blocks towards Eastgate and the Headrow.

stdenys liked this post
mike okane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 12:16 PM   #1188
stdenys

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by FesLerdinand View Post
Above all else I feel like Leeds suffers from feeling like a "town centre" rather than a city centre, and the key to changing that is to have places to go that offer a change of scenery from the same few shopping streets and nightlife congregations.
Totally agree with you! Live Art Bistro, Munro House, Northern Ballet, Leeds Playhouse, the BBC, Leeds College of Music and Leeds City College are an amazing cultural cluster, but they feel very cut off from the city centre right now (not least thanks to the Loop). This development should consolidate Quarry Hill as a counterweight to the West End business centre.

LS18_, yorkguy, Nyrad, Magic Alex, mike okane liked this post
stdenys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 02:27 PM   #1189
yorkguy

Likes (Received): 230

.........and not forgetting the Phoenix Dance Theatre in the same cultural cluster

stdenys liked this post
yorkguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 08:55 PM   #1190
tigerman

Likes (Received): 7928

I have concerns about what is being built but definately want this area to to be completed and agree that it is a good extension to the city center. Remember also that there are many new proposals just behind here for the Marsh Lane area which would also be relevant in this respect.

We really need Victoria Gate 2 to tie all this together though.

stdenys liked this post
tigerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:59 AM   #1191
stdenys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerman View Post

We really need Victoria Gate 2 to tie all this together though.
Agreed about Victoria Gate 2. We also need much better pedestrian permeability from Regent Street and Eastgate across Peter St. I know there are some road reconfigurations in view, but at the moment it's hazardous, non-intuitive (and smelly) to walk the 2 minutes from the Playhouse to Live Art Bistro and Mabgate. There were plans for a proper underpass - anyone know if that's actually happening?
Old January 15th, 2020, 10:53 AM   #1192
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 2717

I don't think there necessarily needs to be an underpass. Marsh Lane is arguably over-engineered as it officially forms part of the Inner Ring Road (although effectively isn't really), and could easily take all the through traffic that St. Peter's Street currently does.

stdenys liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 12:52 PM   #1193
stdenys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
I don't think there necessarily needs to be an underpass. Marsh Lane is arguably over-engineered as it officially forms part of the Inner Ring Road (although effectively isn't really), and could easily take all the through traffic that St. Peter's Street currently does.
That would be an ideal solution. Underpasses aren't really pedestrian friendly either.
Old January 15th, 2020, 01:09 PM   #1194
Ttebroc

Likes (Received): 2676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post

Agreed. I’m sure there are plans bubbling away to downgrade St. Peter’s Street anyway. This image was from a Re-form presentation last summer when they talked about being involved in discussions with LCC about improving this area of town and improving connectivity, including reducing the number of lanes for cars:

Westcumbria, stdenys, Damo, NottsLeeds liked this post
Ttebroc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 03:59 PM   #1195
redrez

Likes (Received): 80

I like the new layout - I hope this becomes a reality.

stdenys liked this post
redrez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 11:42 PM   #1196
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttebroc View Post
Agreed. I’m sure there are plans bubbling away to downgrade St. Peter’s Street anyway. This image was from a Re-form presentation last summer when they talked about being involved in discussions with LCC about improving this area of town and improving connectivity, including reducing the number of lanes for cars
I'm sure you'll agree, however, that it's a reasonably minor downgrade though.

Marsh Lane seems a blindingly obvious solution to me. With these things you normally try to work out some convoluted way to re-route traffic, but in this case, you've got an even higher quality road running directly parallel linking the exact same places.

This would enable St. Peter's Street to become access only for the bus station.

stdenys, Damo liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 11:26 AM   #1197
LS6

Likes (Received): 2068

Some photo's of the site cabins etc on Caddick's twitter here:
https://twitter.com/CaddickGroup/sta...67084852080640
LS6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement