ATLANTA - Mercedes-Benz Stadium (71,041) - Page 50 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #981
FinalBeast

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerBlaze View Post
Is anybody else having problems with the webcam?
It's not working for me either.
FinalBeast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2015, 04:12 AM   #982
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
Slightly on topic, Atlanta MLS has 19,000 season ticket deposits. Looks like they could make full use of that lower bowl in 2017.
Will this team rival the Sounders attendance wise?
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:27 AM   #983
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5208

It's highly unlikely, but what's not to be lost here is that if Atlanta averages anything at or above the current 19k league average then they're doing very well.

By the time MLS ATL kicks off in 2017 there will likely still be 7-10 teams with averages below 20k, though many of those will be due to capacity limitations. So the league median will be somewhere about 20-21k. Simply being in that ballpark would trump the predictions of many when the franchise was announced, so anything above will be icing on the cake. I'm predicting a 1st season average of about 23-27k.

Long term success above and beyond that, however, will likely depend on the success on the pitch. This is the largest metro area with only 1 pro sports championship and we're still waiting for any of our franchises to "claim" the city's sporting identity.

"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 07:04 AM   #984
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori427 View Post
Will this team rival the Sounders attendance wise?
It would be the so out of left field if they rivalled them that I can't begin to express it in words. What they are accomplishing without even having a name is very impressive. I don't think Arthur Blank expected this much so soon (he is the owner of the Atlanta Falcons and the new MLS team).

Lots of people in MLS circles had grave doubts about Atlanta, but they are shutting those people up, myself included.
Old March 14th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #985
BlazerBlaze

Likes (Received): 847

Quote:
It would be the so out of left field if they rivalled them that I can't begin to express it in words. What they are accomplishing without even having a name is very impressive. I don't think Arthur Blank expected this much so soon (he is the owner of the Atlanta Falcons and the new MLS team).

Lots of people in MLS circles had grave doubts about Atlanta, but they are shutting those people up, myself included.
Well Seattle came out of left field and that was only seven years ago. I can absolutely see ATL being Seattle like. Is it what I'm expecting? No, but it wouldn't surprise me.
BlazerBlaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 07:44 AM   #986
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Well Seattle came out of left field and that was only seven years ago. I can absolutely see ATL being Seattle like. Is it what I'm expecting? No, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Seattle has a significant history of support dating back to the Nasl Sounders. It's completely different in Atlanta. (edit: I should clarify that while Atlanta had a team in Nasl, it wasn't well supported)

It would be very impressive for Atlanta to do Seattle numbers as a start up.

Last edited by 5portsF4n; March 14th, 2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old March 14th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #987
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 1077

Quote:
Seattle has a significant history of support dating back to the Nasl Sounders. It's completely different in Atlanta. (edit: I should clarify that while Atlanta had a team in Nasl, it wasn't well supported)

We still do have a team in NASL although in my opinion they have a minor league feel to them (their stadium is pretty small) although the one game I went to last year was fairly well attended even though they were really bad last year.

I would be surprised if Atlanta was as well supported as the Sounders, but I would love it if the atmosphere at the games was similar.

N/A liked this post
tinyslam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #988
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 24733

Quote:
Decision expected Monday in challenge to Falcons stadium deal

The Georgia Supreme Court will issue an opinion on Monday in a case that could upend Atlanta’s plans to help finance the new $1.4 billion Falcons stadium, according to a court notice.

The decision comes more than a year after a group of residents from English Avenue and Vine City first challenged the use of public money for the project. At issue is Atlanta’s decision to commit $200 million in bonds backed by public money to help build the stadium, set to open in 2017.

The Supreme Court will decide whether to uphold a Fulton County Superior Court judge’s decision last May to validate the bonds backed by hotel-motel taxes, which allows the borrowing plan to go forward, or side with the residents. The legal challenge has long delayed Atlanta’s plans to issue the bonds, something city leaders hoped to do last summer.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/decisio...lcons-s/nkWgK/
RMB2007 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #989
BlazerBlaze

Quote:

That was back in the 70's. Right before the Sounders jumped to MLS they were averaging between 1000 and 4000.

Now while the Silverbacks won't be moving up to MLS they're the best gauge of soccer in Atlanta right now. Since moving to their stadium in 2006 they averaged 2000 in their USL days and the first NASL season. The last 3 NASL seasons they have averaged in the 4000s. This is the same support the Sounders were receiving before their jump.

Lumbergo liked this post
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #990
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

Quote:
That was back in the 70's. Right before the Sounders jumped to MLS they were averaging between 1000 and 4000.

Now while the Silverbacks won't be moving up to MLS they're the best gauge of soccer in Atlanta right now. Since moving to their stadium in 2006 they averaged 2000 in their USL days and the first NASL season. The last 3 NASL seasons they have averaged in the 4000s. This is the same support the Sounders were receiving before their jump.
I understand what you're saying, but my point was that Seattle had an entire generation that was exposed to a good supporter culture. Consistently large crowds were a norm back in the old NASL, which wasn't the case with Atlanta.

I still think we're some way off having another team create the supporter base that Seattle has. Atlanta, just by virtue of sharing an NFL stadium, has a better chance than the rest because most play in SSS's. Let me be clear that what they are doing is impressive, even more so looking at the history of the game in Atlanta.
Old March 20th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #991
Boss607

Likes (Received): 29

I really can't wait to see the "Halo screen" and how the roof opens and closes.

Build faster, Atlanta!
Boss607 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 09:30 PM   #992
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Well, he is the Boss.

rrtrauts liked this post
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #993
RMB2007

More in the link below:

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com...hs-march-2015/
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:27 PM   #994
BlazerBlaze

If you'll look at the right side of the last picture just above the elevated intersection you'll see one of the cranes is starting to work on the foundation for the elevated plaza outside the stadium.
Old April 8th, 2015, 05:04 AM   #995
BlazerBlaze

Ugh, I just realized this. With the south side so far behind the other 3 its going to seriously delay the roof. They might be able to set up the super beams from the SW to the NE but other than those two its going to have to wait till the south side gets caught up. grrr.
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #996
will101

Likes (Received): 3105

Quote:
Ugh, I just realized this. With the south side so far behind the other 3 its going to seriously delay the roof. They might be able to set up the super beams from the SW to the NE but other than those two its going to have to wait till the south side gets caught up. grrr.
And you are positive that the construction wasn't planned this way?
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #997
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Yeah, I've not heard anything about a delay and they can certainly begin working on truss construction on other sides while one is still being raised. There may well be a reason for this, as well, depending on how equipment and materials are being delivered and maneuvered around the site, thus requiring staggered construction schedules for the sides.

Don't panic!

Old April 8th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #998
BlazerBlaze

Oh I'm not trying to start a rumor that there's a delay. Smarter men than me have planned this out and I'm sure there's some complex building schedule it's going to follow. I just don't know how it's going to happen. haha. Guess I should of put that in there.
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #999
Fozzy33

Likes (Received): 14

It will be a state of the art stadium. This stadium will be setting the bar for being the best in the world. Atlanta. Please enjoy it when it's built.
Fozzy33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #1000
RMB2007

Quote:
New Falcons stadium cost ‘rises up’ -- again -- another $100 million

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank does not know how to say “No,” and that is costing him another $100 million.

During a panel discussion at the Rotary Club of Atlanta Monday on the rejuvenation of the westside neighborhoods, Blank let it slip out that he views the “$1.5 billion stadium” as an incredible investment.

Kim Shreckengost, executive vice president for Blank’s business interests, said most of the increased amount can be attributed to the financing costs of the stadium.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n....html?page=all
RMB2007 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
american football, atlanta, innovation, revolution, soccer, stadiums, stadiums and arenas, united states, usa